Costa Allegra caught fire and now adrift

Mikel1733

Sounds like Costa was trying to save money by having the French fishing vessel tow the ship - the cruise line could care less that this would leave the passengers at risk for an additional 12 hours. The government of the Seychelles is furious over this.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/world/fire-leaves-cruise-ship-adrift-off-seychelles/article_a99ddecc-9b98-58f3-8ec9-7e326fa109c4.html

Some quotes:

The government minister, Joel Morgan, told The Associated Press that the cruise ship Costa Allegra likely would have arrived in port Wednesday night local time if the tugs had been allowed to take over. Instead, the ship is not scheduled to reach port until midmorning Thursday.

"The Seychelles authorities are not happy about this situation and we would have wished to get the ship into port as soon as possible in order to ensure the safety and well-being of the passengers," said Morgan, Seychelles minister of home affairs, environment, transport and energy.

Morgan said that when the Seychelles tugs met up with the Costa Allegra on Tuesday, a "conversation" took place to see the fishing vessel Trevignon step aside and the faster tugs move in.

"The discussion went on for quite a while to no avail," he said.

Davide Barbano, a Costa spokesman, denied that the tow would have been faster with the two tugs.

"It was decided to continue with that (the fishing vessel) because it guaranteed the smoothest voyage for those on board," he said.

Morgan said the Seychelles is not happy that the financial objectives of the French vessel were put ahead of the interests of the passengers. Morgan claimed the French vessel has been towing at 4 nautical miles, whereas the tugs could have traveled at 6 to 7 nautical miles. Barbano said the fishing vessel was traveling at around 6 nautical miles, "depending on the sea conditions."

The director of France's Regional Operational Center for Surveillance and Rescue, or CROSS, said maritime rules allowed the French fishing vessel to continue with the towing job.

"We were in a rescue operation, the tuna boat arrived first. Then there are negotiations as one can imagine," said Nicolas Le Bianic, in the French department of Reunion. Any assistance to people is free, not the case here, he said. "Assistance to the boat, in contrast, is paid. That's the rule of principle set by maritime texts."

Jean-Yves Labbe, the director-general of the French Company of Ocean Tuna, based in the Breton port of Concarneau, said the Trevignon and a second tuna boat, the Talenduic, were first on the scene, the closest vessels in a region of little maritime traffic. They were called in by CROSS, handling the rescue alert.

The company signed a technical assistance contract with the Costa, Labbe said, refusing to divulge its value. While the Trevignon pulled the cruise liner, the Talenduic accompanied the convoy.

"The decision-maker is the Costa company," Labbe stressed numerous times during the telephone interview. "We didn't insist on anything."

"If the Costa owners told us, 'thank you for your services'" and asked the tuna boats to move on, "we would have done so." He noted that all contracts have a termination clause.

Why were the people sleeping out on the decks? Too hot inside or what?

Saw it on ABC news and I think they spent more time talking about the Concordia and comparing the two.

They do not have A/C. This next part is just speculation. Every place we've lived (and we move every 2 years), where we have had high 80's during the day has needed A/C. Even if the temperature drops into the 70's at night, our house would be too hot to sleep comfortably (perhaps that is matter of preference). At least being outside they are getting a small breeze from going approx. 6 knots.

Another thought... if the toilets do not work, maybe there is some back smell in the cabins? I'm not sure on this. But I would hope not!

I would expect the cabin doors to have battery back-up to open during electricity loses, but if they haven't changed some of them recently, perhaps that is a concern getting someone out? Someone with more experience should talk about this.

So if the toilets aren't working... where are they going to the bathroom? I can't imagine not being able to shower either. I assume they have closed the pools since they can no longer be cleaned with an electric filter.

This year alone 2012- (and keep in mind these are only things that made the headlines):

- The Costa Concordia halfway sank ending the lives of approx. 32 people and injuring others.

- The Carnvial Fantasy had a jumper who jumped in the atrium and died.

- An RCCL ship (I believe it was Liberty of the Seas)... lady left the nightclub and fell down a flight of stairs and died

- Norovirus attacked the Crown Princess so badly that they had to end their trip early and return back to port.

- Noro has also heavily impacted and made headlines on a RCCL ship (yesterday and a Carnival ship last month.)

- 22 passengers were just robbed during an excursion (they were Carnival passengers)

- A cruise ship employee aboard the Carnival Magic fell overboard while working (apparently - don't know the whole story yet). Luckily, was rescued but still made headlines.

( And now, another ship... Costa Allegra has a fire...)

With all this going on, my friends who previously thought that my cruises were a laid back and comfy way to travel may begin to think of me as an adventurous type, risking my life on every cruise.

I guess this ship does not have balconies or windows you can open?

Oh that is possible. The darn thing used to be a freighter. I've rarely cruised without a balcony and it's hard to envision a ship this way (even as I plan a Windstar cruise which is the same way).

I guess this ship does not have balconies or windows you can open?

This ship only has 10 suites with balconies. We were lucky enough to have one. It was so narrow that 2 people top to tail would just manage to sleep on it. The doors weren't sliding so keeping them open would be difficult.

Click on this CNN link

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/world/europe/italy-cruise-ship-fire/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

and you'll get some idea of what a horrible TUB this "cruise ship" is..

You wouldn't catch me dead on anything looking like that. :eek:

Why is a so called quality cruise line operating a hulk like this?

David

All cruise lines have lesser and greater ships, and this is where one's personal research before booking comes into play

You don't just book a cruise becoz of itin but must also consider what ship your going to be stuck with for 7 days after all you'll be spending about 16 hrs. out of every 24 hr.day on the ship!

Click on this CNN link

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/world/europe/italy-cruise-ship-fire/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

and you'll get some idea of what a horrible TUB this "cruise ship" is..

You wouldn't catch me dead on anything looking like that. :eek:

It's definitively not one of the newer "resort" ships but I fail to see from the article how you get that it's a tub.

Costa Allegra: passengers tell of 'hell’ on-board

Passengers disembarking from the stricken Costa Allegra cruise ship have spoken of the panic and confusion on board as they endure three days of “hell” adrift in the Indian Ocean without power.

Some quotes:

Conditions inside the cabins were said to have been “beyond horrific” due to the lack of air conditioning and running water. Lavatories overflowed and they were fed on little but spam sandwiches.

David Tinson and his wife Denise, from Headley Down, Hampshire, accused Costa of “utter incompetence”.

Mr Tinson, director of a property company, said: “They treated everyone like cattle, with absolute contempt.

“Sheer luck has disguised the incompetence from start to finish. Some people are blissfully unaware of how lucky they are.”

So which is Cunard's lesser ship?

David.

Ah you've certainly got me there haven't you! Perhaps I should have said MOST cruise lines have greater and lesser ships.

Now to address your point......Cunard.....most likely the oldest one in the fleet....that would mean QM2....hmmm.....hardly an old thing is she....

I stand corrected!

QM2 will never be the lesser ship, as she is the only ocean liner of the 3 ships they have. QV and QE are cruise ships, QM2 is an ocean liner. Thus I would say QV is the lesser as the is the oldest of their 2 cruise ships. QM2 will always be on top, just as QE2 was.

Communique from Costa Crociere:

Thursday, March 1st 2012

Time 6.00 pm (CET)

Costa Crociere announces that Costa Allegra, after mooring at the docks in Port Victoria, Mahé, at 12 o’clock midday today (local time), has successfully completed in about 2 hours disembarkation of Guests and crew. Guests and crew are in good health and no critical situations have been found. On leaving the ship Guests were attended to by the ship’s crew, by the members of the Costa Crociere “Care Team” on the island and by the assistance personnel provided by local authorities.

The number of Guests who have decided to accept Costa Crociere’s offer to continue their holidays in the Seychelles has risen to about 70%, out of a total of 627. These Guests have already been taken to the hotels where there will spend 1 or 2 weeks holiday at the company’s expense on the islands of Praslin, La Digue, Silhouette and Cerfs. Costa Crociere will also organise their return flights home after the holiday.

The remaining 30% of Guests who have decided to return home have been accommodated in hotels on the island. They will leave in the evening on flights organised by Costa Crociere from Seychelles International airport to Paris, to Milan via Rome, and to Zurich via Vienna. The flights are scheduled to arrive on the morning of March 2nd.

The Company, sincerely sorry for the discomfort caused to Guests but happy to have found them in good health, has offered them a compensation package including:

● a full refund of the fare paid fo the cruise and associated travel expenses;

● a full refund of on board expenses incurred during the cruise;

● indemnity equivalent to the amount of the fare paid for the cruise and associated travel costs;

● for Guests who have decided not to continue their holday in the Seychelles at the Company’s expense, a voucher for the same value as the unfinished Costa Allegra cruise, for travel free of charge on any Costa ship departing in the coming 24 months.

Costa Crociere would like to express its gratitude to the master of Costa Allegra Nicolò Alba and all members of the crew, to the Guests of Costa Allegra, to the master and crew of the French deep sea fishing boat Trevignon, to the other naval and air units involved in the rescue operations of the Costa Allegra, to the Italian Harbour Office General Command, to the local authorities of the Seychelles and Reunion, to the Italian Consulate and Embassy, and to international diplomatic representatives.

Communique from Costa Crociere:

Thursday, March 1st 2012

Time 6.00 pm (CET)

Costa Crociere announces that Costa Allegra, after mooring at the docks in Port Victoria, Mahé, at 12 o’clock midday today (local time), has successfully completed in about 2 hours disembarkation of Guests and crew. Guests and crew are in good health and no critical situations have been found. On leaving the ship Guests were attended to by the ship’s crew, by the members of the Costa Crociere “Care Team” on the island and by the assistance personnel provided by local authorities.

The number of Guests who have decided to accept Costa Crociere’s offer to continue their holidays in the Seychelles has risen to about 70%, out of a total of 627. These Guests have already been taken to the hotels where there will spend 1 or 2 weeks holiday at the company’s expense on the islands of Praslin, La Digue, Silhouette and Cerfs. Costa Crociere will also organise their return flights home after the holiday.

The remaining 30% of Guests who have decided to return home have been accommodated in hotels on the island. They will leave in the evening on flights organised by Costa Crociere from Seychelles International airport to Paris, to Milan via Rome, and to Zurich via Vienna. The flights are scheduled to arrive on the morning of March 2nd.

The Company, sincerely sorry for the discomfort caused to Guests but happy to have found them in good health, has offered them a compensation package including:

● a full refund of the fare paid fo the cruise and associated travel expenses;

● a full refund of on board expenses incurred during the cruise;

● indemnity equivalent to the amount of the fare paid for the cruise and associated travel costs;

● for Guests who have decided not to continue their holday in the Seychelles at the Company’s expense, a voucher for the same value as the unfinished Costa Allegra cruise, for travel free of charge on any Costa ship departing in the coming 24 months.

Costa Crociere would like to express its gratitude to the master of Costa Allegra Nicolò Alba and all members of the crew, to the Guests of Costa Allegra, to the master and crew of the French deep sea fishing boat Trevignon, to the other naval and air units involved in the rescue operations of the Costa Allegra, to the Italian Harbour Office General Command, to the local authorities of the Seychelles and Reunion, to the Italian Consulate and Embassy, and to international diplomatic representatives.

I'd definitely take the offer of a stay on the Seychelles. Yummy:)

Costa Allegra: passengers tell of 'hell’ on-board

Passengers disembarking from the stricken Costa Allegra cruise ship have spoken of the panic and confusion on board as they endure three days of “hell” adrift in the Indian Ocean without power.

Some quotes:

Conditions inside the cabins were said to have been “beyond horrific” due to the lack of air conditioning and running water. Lavatories overflowed and they were fed on little but spam sandwiches.

David Tinson and his wife Denise, from Headley Down, Hampshire, accused Costa of “utter incompetence”.

Mr Tinson, director of a property company, said: “They treated everyone like cattle, with absolute contempt.

“Sheer luck has disguised the incompetence from start to finish. Some people are blissfully unaware of how lucky they are.”

Hopefully there are one or two cruisecritic types on board so we'll get the full monty sooner or later

It seems a fair offer IF conditions were as advertised.

I hearken back to the Splendor where there were many claims of Spam sandwiches, etc, but none ever confirmed (although I am sure the cuisine was creative)

I'd definitely take the offer of a stay on the Seychelles. Yummy:)

It seems a fair offer IF conditions were as advertised.

I hearken back to the Splendor where there were many claims of Spam sandwiches, etc, but none ever confirmed (although I am sure the cuisine was creative)

The claims about spam sandwiches are also present in many articles about the Costa Allegra. Here is one quote:

“If anything had gone against us, such as the weather, we would have had it. Information was kept from us, we were fed dry bread sandwiches with thick salami and spam."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9115682/Costa-Allegra-passengers-tell-of-hell-on-board.html

Archived