Comparing Holland and NCl

Decpl

Wife and I are looking for a get away to Bermuda in May - June. We like the days spent in Bermuda with these two lines compared to the other lines. We are platimun on Princess and love those ships, how do Holland and NCl stack up againest each other in regard to meals and shows? How are the pool areas on Veendam and Star? They both look very small?

Thanks

Having sailed on both HAL and NCL I can tell you that you are trying to compare apples and oranges. NCL is laid back casual imo and HAL is more formal.

Food and shows are very subjective so it's hard to compare since both lines have good food and good shows. Some people don't like the shows on HAL and don't like the food on NCL but we didn't have complaints about either on either line.

I've cruised both lines and my comparison would be like comparing Wal Mart, NCL to Bloomingdales, HAL.;)

Great quote, we travel on several differnt cruise lines and there is only one I would not cruise on again and that is NCL ( they were preety good in the 1980's , back in the days of the Norway)

Agree with previous posters.... there is no comparison. NCL is good when you are looking for a budget friendly trip (I have been on 3 of their ships)... but having sailed on HAL twice they are much more elegant and formal (some say a little "stuffy") .... Holland America is definitely more comparable to Princess Cruise Lines.

Wife and I are looking for a get away to Bermuda in May - June. We like the days spent in Bermuda with these two lines compared to the other lines. We are platimun on Princess and love those ships, how do Holland and NCl stack up againest each other in regard to meals and shows? How are the pool areas on Veendam and Star? They both look very small?

Thanks

I have sailed on both HAL and NCL and although they have their differences I have not had a bad trip on either of them. HAL is the more formal old world style cruise while NCL is more the relaxed atmosphere casual experience. Food is always subjective but in my experience HAL has a better MDR and NCL has a better buffet, but that is just my opinion. Both have good specialty restaurants and I would rate the Pinnacle Grill on HAL to be better than Cagneys on NCL. Lebistro on the Star is also an excellent restaurant if you like French cuisine. In my opinion the Italian restaurants on both ship are pretty equal as far as the quality of food. Neither one of them is bad, but neither one of them is great either.

As one poster mentioned HAL does dock downtown in Hamilton which may be a plus to you if you are not going to explore the whole island. As far as entertainment I prefer NCL's over HAL's. HAL has an excellent library if you like to read. NCL's is not bad, but I like HAL's better. NCL's rooms are smaller than HAL's depending on what you book, unless you are in a suite and then the suite perks on NCL usually get very high ratings. Both lines would be fine for this itinerary as there are only a couple of sea days each way, and three days in Bermuda. If you prefer the more formal dressy cruise experience I would go with HAL. If you prefer a more laid back casual vacation, I would go with NCL. Either one should be an enjoyable trip. Happy Sailing.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. Wife and I like the dress rules that Holland seems to enforce. Not that we are stuffy, but for a nice dinner, it seems justified to wear smart causal and coat and ties for formal. Hope the pools are not too crowded.

Jand K

We've sailed NCL three times and they were great each time (2x on Star and 1x on Sun). My wife's family sailed with us on two of those cruises and her parents and sister have some very challenging meal requirements. Their staff was fantastic about it. Entertainment was always of fine caliber.

I'd not compare them with Wal-Mart. I save that designation for Carnival, which although the worst ship we've been on, was still better than being on land.

Our first HAL experience is coming up in six weeks. I can't imagine not enjoying it. I hope you have a great sail, whichever line you go with.

UVaWiseGuy

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. Wife and I like the dress rules that Holland seems to enforce. Not that we are stuffy, but for a nice dinner, it seems justified to wear smart causal and coat and ties for formal. Hope the pools are not too crowded.

Jand K

Oh, when did HAL start to enforce the "dress rules", (consistently)? :rolleyes:

NCL=Neveragain Cruise Line.

On their ship and over the years so many past guests have said how it was awful and they will never sail them again, we figured what NCL stands for.

To us NCL is a Motel 6 and HAL is a Marriot. Too bad NCL often charges above Marriot prices for their Motel 6 experience.

We have sailed both lines, and other ones as well. Different styles of cruising, but both are enjoyable. The decider for me would be where the ships dock in Bermuda. Hamilton is MUCH more desirable than Dockyard as it is in the middle of the island and therefore a better jumping-off-point for touring and, of course, shopping.

we did both last year on NCL we did Dawn out of Boston, had great time . For me I would choose Hal because of Hamilton, 3 whole nights and the street festival in downtown Hamilton on Wed night.

I would choose HAL over NCL. They check every bag for personal liquor and then call you to the naughty room if they discover it. They also charge a corkage fee for every bottle of wine no matter where you drink it and do so when you are checking in. HAL treats you like an adult.

NCL has great suites, suite service and perks,

We will only sail NCL if in a Haven Suite and were comfortable spending the big bucks.

Not a fan of casual dress, but if you are in a Haven Suite who cares...

If I was going to book a regular suite, or standard cabin, then its HAL all the way. Tamarind, Canaletto and the cabana's knock it out of the park.

Archived