Spring 2012 Season of DWTS Formal Gowns

Hi all!

I watched the elimination show again today (not to see Brooke's dress :rolleyes:) but just wanted to say how nice it was of young Gavin to compliment Martina. I wish she'd been able to go a little further, I wonder what they would have dressed her in next!

Until Monday...

~ Jo ~ :)

Monday, April 2, 2012: Brooke is wearing a striking deep red ombre sheath that sades from deep red to balck or deep purple. The gown has one shoulder trimmed in dark beading and neckline diagonals down to a bare shoulder on the other side.

So far I haven't seen the rest of the gown, but it looks quite attractive from what I have seen up to now.

On second look this gown makes Brooke a little heavier than usual because the lightest color is over the otrso which make sthat area look bigger. It is an opitcal illusion.

Her hair is in a straight pony tail swept to the side and it hangs down quite low on the bare shoulder. She is wearing large dangling earrings.

I am probably in the miniorty but I thought ALL of the stars danced

very well last night. Some better than others, but overall? I liked

all of them. Just one person's opinion.

Me too. I know some were better technically than others, but they all danced with passion and heart. What a great year.

Some really pretty dresses too, and I like Brooke's dress for once. Very understated for her. She's getting better at the interviewing too!

She's getting better at the interviewing too!
It was nice of her to go to the scores and not push Donald Driver to answer questions when he was having an emotional moment.

I stayed up and watched some of the dances a second time on the West coast station and I still think that Katherine and Mark did not deserve those two 10's. Maybe they gave points on the back story about her Father's death, but to me the waltz was very jerky and not flowing. Plus the part where len said about content.

My thoughts: The Cuban guy is fun to watch, but I live in South Florida and I have seen much better dancing here than he did. He does not seem as natural as some I have seen. (Cheryl was amazing however.)

I have even seen better in the Boleros lounges on Royal Caribbean. The dancers may not be as good looking as this guy but they can really, really dance salsa and merengue. They are a joy to watch and thoroughly comfortable in what they do. Of course, they are dancing simultaneously, while the DWTS routines are strictly choreographed and done before judges so there is much greater pressure.

Another thing, he is called the "Brad Pitt" of telenovelas, but honestly, when I look at him I see a young Ricky Martin, not Brad Pitt.

Me too. I know some were better technically than others, but they all danced with passion and heart. What a great year.

Some really pretty dresses too, and I like Brooke's dress for once. Very understated for her. She's getting better at the interviewing too!

It was nice of her to go to the scores and not push Donald Driver to answer questions when he was having an emotional moment.

I agree!

I may be in the minority, but I think the judges are grading on a serious upward curve this season. Apparently some of the couples are practically professional in quality (technically speaking) and have no room for improvement.

I stayed up and watched some of the dances a second time on the West coast station and I still think that Katherine and Mark did not deserve those two 10's. Maybe they gave points on the back story about her Father's death, but to me the waltz was very jerky and not flowing. Plus the part where len said about content.

Another one of those "waltzes" in 4/4 time!:rolleyes: Wouldn't that in and of itself make it less flowy because it's a less flowy rhythm than 3/4 or 6/8?

I liked the color of Brook's dress last night but on our television it made her look really big across the hips.

It seems as if the judges are over scoring this year, not sure 10's were deserved. Will be interesting to see who goes home tonight.

Sherri:)

Exactly, Elyce.

Katherine could of had a beautiful waltz but it was not a song with waltz timing which made it seem bumpy and not flow. Her dancing was no worse than her first foxtrot but in the foxtrot the timing of the music was right and the dance was just incredible... I think often when we watch a dance we know that something is off, just not right but cant quite pinpoint it. In this case it was the music that made it off and you picked that up....

Ya know Heavysurf, I dont really think that ballroom salsa is true authentic salsa... We have borrowed some of the timing, maybe a few steps but that is about where it ends. It really is nothing like the salsa you see in the clubs is it? I cant blame William, just what he is being taught. LOL, if he danced a club salsa no telling what Len would of said!

I thought Brooke's dress made her look lumpy. I can imagine what it would look like on me!:eek::eek:

I do think that the dancing this season is far better overall than I've ever seen (and I've been hooked from the beginning), but I think it's too early for 10's or even most of the 9's that were given out last night. I'm really enjoying it all, though.

Hi, Retiring Soon! Glad you are watching too.

Brooke is wearing full out glamour in black with a Betty Grable-style up do.

The bodice of the gown is black densely-spaced sparkle beads. The rest of the gown is a smooth black fabric. I say "gown", but don't really know for sure if it is a gown as we are not yet allowed to look.

This dress has one padded shoulder (honest) and a curved cutout at the neckline that I find rather unusual. It is almost sculptural and Brooke or her stylist seems to have a preference for sculptural details in her attire. Brooke's dress has a 1940s vibe especially with the Betty Grable up do.

I liked Brooke's gown yesterday much better than this one, though at first glance I found her look stunning...that is until I realized the neckline detail.

Hold the fort! I got Brooke's gown wrong. It is a gown after all. The beaded fabric covers much of the torso except for a smooth band and down to the low hips. From the mid-thigh, a black transparent georgette or netting flares out and reaches the floor.

The dress is like two glued together, each side different. Some may find this creative. It is creative, but I find it odd. It is more like a museum piece. Brooke, herself, looks lovely.

IMHO, Brooke's gown tonight is just unattractive. I'm not a fan of overly constructed clothing, and this one, on the top, is just that. It's just too Judy Jetson for my taste.

VERY surprised by the results.

IMHO, Brooke's gown tonight is just unattractive. I'm not a fan of overly constructed clothing, and this one, on the top, is just that. It's just too Judy Jetson for my taste.

VERY surprised by the results.

Me too on the results. Not the worst dancer, maybe less known than some though. This year is going to be more than ever about personality/popularity since the dancing is all of a higher quality than most years. (Though I thought the judges were very generous last night.)

Even though Brooke's padded sculpted shoulder thing was a bit much, I kind of liked the gown until I saw the lower half; at first I thought she had on sequined shorts, then decided it was a (very) mini skirt and then the added chiffony long piece--just a hot mess. And the updo was too harsh for me; reminds me of some horrible hairstyles from back in the 60's--or Joan Crawford.

I really like the top half of Brooke's dress. The Betty Grable hair do and the sculpted neckline made me think of Sean Young's character in the movie Blade Runner where she played Harrison Ford's secretary in the future. The bottom was a mess though. Half the skirt a solid fabric and half sheer? I think it could have worked with a solid draped skirt or being the same as the top.

I would have sent Gavin or Sherry home before Jack.

Sorry, I have very beginner ballroom lesson experience, not at all musical either, so I can't keep up with the 4/4, 3/4, etc...timing stuff. I just know what doesn't look right to me.

I keep waiting for Melissa to ramp it up a notch. Kinda funny that she's on DWTS at the same time that her ex she mentions is on GCB.

KandC... just think about what you know in basic ballroom for waltz, actually it does not get much different or more difficult even at advanced levels. The waltz is a 1-2-3 timing, a step for each beat.... So when you dance to a 4/4 timing, now you have 4 beats per measure instead of 3, what is one to do with that extra beat???? I spent endless hours with my ipod counting beats so I do understand how it can be hard to grasp if you dont have a good sense for music, (as I did not....)

Anyway, I was thinking about Brooke. I remember when Sam was the host and each week we all just loved her gowns, her hair, ect... Now with Brooke, especially this season I think it is actually much more interesting. Sure, myself included, I like some choices hate others but it lends itself to really interesting fashion conversations. Never before have I read comments on dress construction and I really appreciate everyone inserting statements that educate me on the gowns.

This season is strange, first you have all these stars that are really evenly matched and now I think that Brooke has branched out to not just wearing tiny weeney dresses but interesting outfits... That and I agree with the other posts, she is becoming much better in her interview skills....

All good stuff! A special thanks to HS who every week gives us great descriptions of what Brooke wears each week... How do you see all these details?? You must have a great TV!!

HD TV is your friend:D:);)

Or your big enemy depending on how good your plastic surgeon is, LOL.

This is a really even group, as far as talent is concerned. But I do think the judges are really being very kind this season. I wonder if it has anything to do with the animosity between Maks and Len last season? They are a kinder/gentler judging panel.

I also thought Melissa was the weakest dancer last week. But I was surprised by the fact that Sherri was in the bottom three. I would have thought that View fans would be voting hard and heavy. Maybe the View doesn't have as many fans as I thought.

Rock Week!

Brooke''s doing the rock godess look with the studded gown and pulled back lion mane hair. Nothing special but it fits the theme. The real surprise tonight is Tom all in black and no tie! Pretty hot...:D

Chelsie has a pretty pink gown and Gladsy Knight looks great.

Loved the shot of Harold Wheeler in KISS makeup. Also liked the drummer of Kiss playing along with the DWTS intro music.

Archived