collared sports shirt?

sbt518

OK, I know, not another dress code question but my husband and I were wondering exactly what is a "collared sports shirt"

Is that a golf shirt or polo shirt?

OR is it a button down shirt with a collar?

For the record, he has no problem wearing either (and will be wearing his black suit on formal nights) just needs to know what to pack!

A collared sport shirt is a shirt that buttons down the front with- a collar which may or may not button down. One of the so-called "islandy" shirts, for instance, would be an example.

A Hawaiian shirt is not a sport shirt. They are referring to a polo shirt or golf shirt.

Hmmm... seems to be harder to define a "sport shirt" than I'd think it would be. I'd consider a Hawaiian or Tommy Bahama type camp shirt to be a sport shirt but I guess some do not.

Definitions aside, I'd say pretty much any decent looking shirt with a collar is OK. A golf or polo shirt is fine as long as it isn't grubby looking. Common sense can be a pretty good guide for what "Smart Casual and Above" might mean.

I'd also guess that, for the most part, if someone is concerned enough to care if a shirt meets the requirements then what you're considering is probably OK. If you're concerned something might be too casual or sloppy looking then don't wear it.

Clearly basic T-shirts do not meet the definition but I've seen nice dressy t-shirts, silk or other types, on board that don't technically meet the definition, since they don't have a collar, but they look just fine.

Personally, I tend to wear a lot of those Hawaiian/Tommy Bahama type short sleeve camp shirts on board as do a lot of others. But you'll see a big variation in clothing on Smart Casual nights from pretty casual to very dressy.

Hmmm... seems to be harder to define a "sport shirt" than I'd think it would be. I'd consider a Hawaiian or Tommy Bahama type camp shirt to be a sport shirt but I guess some do not.

Definitions aside, I'd say pretty much any decent looking shirt with a collar is OK. A golf or polo shirt is fine as long as it isn't grubby looking. Common sense can be a pretty good guide for what "Smart Casual and Above" might mean.

I'd also guess that, for the most part, if someone is concerned enough to care if a shirt meets the requirements then what you're considering is probably OK. If you're concerned something might be too casual or sloppy looking then don't wear it.

Clearly basic T-shirts do not meet the definition but I've seen nice dressy t-shirts, silk or other types, on board that don't technically meet the definition, since they don't have a collar, but they look just fine.

Personally, I tend to wear a lot of those Hawaiian/Tommy Bahama type short sleeve camp shirts on board as do a lot of others. But you'll see a big variation in clothing on Smart Casual nights from pretty casual to very dressy.

My husband wears a lot of Tommy Bahama too, but I just wouldn't have used the word "Sport" to describe it. But maybe as you said, some do.

Lsimon, as always, I like to read your responses because they are always on-target and very politely stated, and I agree that Hawaiian shirts are indeed tailored sport shirts and all else would be knits or polo shirts.

I'm amazed at all the various responses to "what to wear" dress/clothes questions. Then, once you go on board the ship, no two people are dressed the same except maybe a few Penguins on formal night. :D:eek::eek::D

Thanks everyone. I think it was the "sport" that threw me off.

Golf is a sport right? So a golf shirt would be a sport shirt? I never thought men's clothing was confusing before.

Anyway, he has a variety of Tommy Bahama type shirts, button down short sleeve shirts and polo shirts so I'll tell him either is fine.

I just don't want him to feel underdressed if he's the only guy in a polo shirt and he had all these other shirts at home.

Thanks everyone. I think it was the "sport" that threw me off.

Golf is a sport right? So a golf shirt would be a sport shirt? I never thought men's clothing was confusing before.

Anyway, he has a variety of Tommy Bahama type shirts, button down short sleeve shirts and polo shirts so I'll tell him either is fine.

I just don't want him to feel underdressed if he's the only guy in a polo shirt and he had all these other shirts at home.

Polo/golf shirts for me. I don't own any Bahama Mama shirts. :D

I'm amazed at all the various responses to "what to wear" dress/clothes questions. Then, once you go on board the ship, no two people are dressed the same except maybe a few Penguins on formal night. :D:eek::eek::D

Sorry, been on many cruises and never seen penguins, maybe some hogs! Maybe, maybe, those few penguins are trying to tell you few hogs what formal night is supposed to be.

Good, interesting responses. That seems to mean and say NOT be a tee-shirt. In my book, that generally means both a collar and some buttons down the front/middle. That means things are a little dresser than the dreaded tee-shirt that is way, way too casual.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,621 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi SBT518,

I think the key here is a shirt with a collar & buttons... so yes a Polo or Golf Shirt, both in the "Sports" category would be fine. I would say that was the MINIMUM that we saw on our recent cruise. Smart Casual, also can mean a non-dress shirt with a collar & buttons, like a Hawaiian Shirt, Tommy Bahama, LLBean, Lands End etc (more relaxed construction, fabrics, colours etc)

For Celebrity, the actual definition of the Dress Code is "Smart Casual or Above"... so a Dress Shirt (in any combo of the following... White, Oxford, Buttoned Down, Cuffed etc), Jacket, Suit or Tux would also be acceptable on these particular evenings or venues... if someone chose to go that route (although they would certainly be in the smaller minority than on a Formal Night)

When it came to Smart Casual & Above, Mr Sloop packed Polos, Golf Shirts, Hawaiian Shirts, and Casual Collared Shirts from LL Bean, he was dressed perfectly fine on all occasions... combined with Dockers / Kahkis. His chosen footwear was either sandals (not flip flops) or boat shoes... and ya, often seen without socks (it was the Caribbean afterall).

Lol, as for Day Wear / Ship Wear, he was a lot more "liberal" in his choices... I gave him a free rein in that department... he packed favourite Ts, some of which had some interesting "slogans" on them... (tasteful but interesting)... they often sparked a conversation... broke the ice... a great way to meet fellow pax we found. He matched those up with shorts and bathing suits, flip flops, sandals or boat shoes (depending on what he had planned for the day).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I'm sorry, did you just call this poster a hog? WOW :eek:

I did not call that poster a hog.I just stated my opinion of the difference between two animals.if the shoe fits wear it. I am a Redskin fan. Go cowboys!

No, he just missed the humor and tongue in cheek intention of the post.

I didn't miss the humor, just did not see you're tounge in cheek intention in the post. very touchy subject.lol

I did not call that poster a hog.I just stated my opinion of the difference between two animals.if the shoe fits wear it. I am a Redskin fan. Go cowboys!

I'm not sure what animal class you belong to or what shoe you wear? I could care less.

I was merely commenting on people wear whatever they want to wear. The only time you see any difference is on formal night when some people wear tuxs. They don't look different - they look the same (ergo penguins).

BTW, I'm a Redskin fan. Love the hogs!!! :D

I'm not sure what animal class you belong to or what shoe you wear? I could care less.

I was merely commenting on people wear whatever they want to wear. The only time you see any difference is on formal night when some people wear tuxs. They don't look different - they look the same (ergo penguins).

BTW, I'm a Redskin fan. Love the hogs!!! :D

At last we both agree. Like you I was commenting on what people wear. Whatever they want to wear. I guess all people look alike, they all wear clothes.

Archived