Should I be worried?

So, my husband and I are cruising in April on the Paradise. We're on a pretty tight budget, but after a rough year we wanted to go away. Due to our budget we went with a guarantee stateroom. We were just assigned our room, and it's pretty far forward (almost at the front of the ship!) on the second deck from the bottom (Main).

I've researched the room, and it looks like the forward rooms are worst for sickness. I'm worried because my husband has a very sensitive stomach and gets sea sick pretty easily. This will be his first cruise (and only my second), and I want him to enjoy it! I tried contacted Carnival, but apparently there isn't anything left in our category. The Paradise is a small-medium sized ship, so I'm really worried he'll be sick the whole time... should I be?

Thanks!

My husband swears by Bonine, non-drowsy and really no side effects, and he never gets sick.

The key is to start the night before you sail and keep it in your system, he should be fine, plus, you probably won't spend a lot of time in your cabin anyways.

I was on the Paradise in January and we hit some good size swells, so it could happen.

Your forward, but Main level is pretty far down. Most people will tell you if you are sensitive to be at the bottom in the middle of the ship. You got half that.....you might be okay. I was forward on the 11th deck for my last cruise and didn't have a problem, but I'm not sensitive. I did feel the movement though.

We were all the way forward on the floor right above the floor you'll be on. Yes we did feel the motion more than previous trips but it wasn't horrible. It may have been that the ship was also traveling in more turbulent waters. I noticed it more the first night but then after that, it was fine. I actually really liked our room since it was very quiet since it wasn't midway. I would book this room again (& it truly was the farthest forward on that deck).

Also keep in mind that the main deck cabins do not go quite as far forward as on the Riveria so this is good as well.

My husband swears by Bonine, non-drowsy and really no side effects, and he never gets sick.

The key is to start the night before you sail and keep it in your system, he should be fine, plus, you probably won't spend a lot of time in your cabin anyways.

I was on the Paradise in January and we hit some good size swells, so it could happen.

Where did you cruise to? We're leaving from Tampa to GC and Cozumel. Should we expect rough waters on that trip? My only cruise was to Bermuda, and crossing the Atlantic did a number on my stomach. I was assuming the Caribbean was a little easier... no?

We were all the way forward on the floor right above the floor you'll be on. Yes we did feel the motion more than previous trips but it wasn't horrible. It may have been that the ship was also traveling in more turbulent waters. I noticed it more the first night but then after that, it was fine. I actually really liked our room since it was very quiet since it wasn't midway. I would book this room again (& it truly was the farthest forward on that deck).

Also keep in mind that the main deck cabins do not go quite as far forward as on the Riveria so this is good as well.

Great! That is encouraging! :)

My dw and I use the seabands. We got them from Walgreens. For us they work great, but they don't work for everbody. They are kind of an acupressure band that goes on your wrist. I tried it out before going on the cruise by doing a helicopter ride. There was one other passenger and he was interested in the type of helicopter, so the pilot gave him a demo...the bands really worked for me.

I get seasick and don't like taking dramamine or bonine as it makes me just want to lay around the cabin and makes me bobble headish. I take ginger pills and wear seabands (can get at pharmacy) and they work wonders. And my seasickness has been getting less with each cruise...didn't have to wear the seabands on my last cruise at all. I don't know anything about your cabin location. I am waiting on my cabin assignment for April...we also booked a GTY and I suspect we'll be assigned a forward cabin on the main deck as well because there are a ton left there and not much else (we booked a balcony GTY).

Where did you cruise to? We're leaving from Tampa to GC and Cozumel. Should we expect rough waters on that trip? My only cruise was to Bermuda, and crossing the Atlantic did a number on my stomach. I was assuming the Caribbean was a little easier... no?

Well anything can happen, obviously, but all things being equal I'd think you have better odds of calm seas in the Caribbean than going to Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've sailed in the Caribbean lots of time during April because of our DS's spring break. We've never had rough seas in the Caribbean at that time of year. But as other posters have said anything could happen and if your DH is seasick prone I would have him take something for it, again other posters have given you great suggestions regarding that kind of medication.

We have also gone the guaranteed room way and were twice given rooms to the front of the ship but it was never a big deal to us. The DH and I don't get seasick easily, but the DS uses Sea Bands. I use nothing. The DS used to have issues with motion sickness and I got him some ginger gum at Rite Aid. The brand we use is made by the same company as the bands the DH uses...Sea Band Ginger Gum. It worked the few times the DS needed it.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I have never been sensitive to the motion, but my husband does not cruise without his Transderm Scop patch. It is a little round bandaid looking patch that he wears behind his ear. He puts it on the day before we leave and it is amazing. It is prescribed by your doctor.

Thankfully he had a few extra on our last trip with family because it saved two folks from spending their entire cruise in their beds!!

Good to plan ahead, hope you have a great trip!!

*I dont get seasickness so I am not a huge help, I just wanted to say that if he gets queasy on the first day, you can always plan to stay in the middle upper side of the ship...then just take whatever meds before bed...that way, the drowsiness won't be much of a hinderance and you'll be up and away during the day...

Again, I don't have an issue with it so maybe I am off base...but I do know someone who was deathy afraid of heights but just pretty much stayed far enough away from the sides to not be able to look down and it's like being at sealevel...but it was something she was worried about before crusiing...

I'll add also, since it's his first cruise, that I was surprised on my first that I didn't get seasick. I can get carsick if I'm riding with the wrong person so I figured I'd be pretty likely to get seasick. So he may be perfectly fine even with the motion. I'm hardly a seasoned cruiser like some with only 4 under my belt but I don't take anything anymore (but used Bonine on the first 2) and still get carsick more than I'll ever admit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our very first Carnival cruise was on the Paradise in cabin M52, I believe, out of Miami at the time. It was an OV cabin, port side. We had no issues with motion sickness, although seas were calm. The only thing that I know bothers some people is that early in the morning you could hear the momentary rattle of the chain as the anchor was being dropped. It didn't bother us and it served very well as an alarm clock. We loved this cabin and this ship. As a matter of fact, out of our cabin window I saw dolphins swimming next to ship and jumping out of the water!!! DH was in bathroom and came running out. Thought my screaming was a signal of trouble. :o

Archived