Though "Breakaway" and "Getaway" were bad?

How about Carnival Sunshine? Apparently, Carnival is refurbishing and renaming one of their ships (the Destiny) in 2013. IMO, this is worse than both of the new NCL ship names!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1587686

I know this doesn't actually have anything to do with NCL but after the flak they got for those new names, I just found this too amusing not to share! :D

Sorry. Sunshine is much better than either Breakaway or Getaway. In fact, I don't see any real problem with Sunshine. Not the best or worst I've heard.

Agreed, Sunshine still has Breakaway and Getaway beat by a longshot. (Not that I care for Sunshine all that much, it just doesn't suck nearly as bad.)

Maybe it's just me...and the people on the CCL forums ;) To me, it just feels so out of place somehow. I like the NCL Sun but "Sunshine" doesn't sound right.

Maybe the next ships they rename will be the Moonbeam, Starlight, and Rainbow...

I actually like both Breakaway and Sunshine...though, Getaway isn't my favorite, it's kind of nice, too. Albeit a bit obvious.

Whenever I hear the word "Breakaway", I start to hear the Kelly Clarkson song, "Breakaway" in my head. It's about escaping from her small town, taking a chance on her dreams, and becoming her own person. For that reason, I like the name "Breakaway" for a ship.

There is even a verse that says "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean..." (Is my Kelly Clarkson fanaticism showing yet? XD)

Likewise, "Sunshine" sounds all warm and sunny. Which is what a lot of people are hoping for when they go on a cruise, right? Well, maybe not the Alaskan cruises...

Even "Getaway" sounds nice, because...well, when you're going on vacation, I would think that a lot of people are viewing it as a... getaway from their work, etc. Though, that would be my least favorite of the three.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I kind of like all three names. lol

The funny thing about this is that Carnival just stuck it to RCCL as "SunShine" is their (RCCL's) next class of ships, and they just got scooped on the name...:p

Sunshine is the project name like Genesis was the project name for Oasis. RCI wasn't planning to name the ship Sunshine of the Seas.

Sorry. Sunshine is much better than either Breakaway or Getaway. In fact, I don't see any real problem with Sunshine. Not the best or worst I've heard.

I agree. I'm still scratching my head over Breakaway and Getaway.

Whenever I hear the word "Breakaway", I start to hear the Kelly Clarkson song, "Breakaway" in my head. It's about escaping from her small town, taking a chance on her dreams, and becoming her own person. For that reason, I like the name "Breakaway" for a ship.

There is even a verse that says "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean..." (Is my Kelly Clarkson fanaticism showing yet? XD)

Keep that all in mind for when the announce Breakaway's Godmother....and remember: you heard it here first! ;)

Sunshine is the project name like Genesis was the project name for Oasis. RCI wasn't planning to name the ship Sunshine of the Seas.

Do you mean like Breakaway was the project name for NCL? :rolleyes:

After jumping over here from RCCL since I just booked Sky and booked Breakaway, it seems to me I must be the only one that likes that name (funny, I'm from NY, the Breakaway's home port). Anyway, I initially thought and still do it is a Breakaway from the hustle and bustle from everyday life. Perhaps they thought about the name connecting with the region where it will be located, but then again, probably not since I'm sure there are many NY'rs that don't like the name either.

So, I'll be the first, and possibly the only, that will go on record saying "I like the name". :)

I'm still scratching my head as to why CCL decided to do away with "Destiny" as a name...

I vote for "Shoeshine"

Our first cruise was on Carnival Destiny. My DS, then a little guy, and now 18, asked me every week for years, "when can we go back on Carnival Destiny?" Makes me sad to hear that they are retiring the name :(

I agree. To me, Sunshine, is a lot better than Breakaway or Getaway.

Getaway reminds me of robbers making their 'getaway'. And Breakaway makes me think of something breaking apart.

Sunshine, however, is what we all want for our cruises.

Like MermaidMomma, my first cruise was on the Carnival Destiny, and it also makes me sad that they are retiring the name :(. But since they have decided to change it, I do like the name Sunshine. It's upbeat :cool:. Much better than the names Breakaway and Getaway - ugh!

It sounds like Carnival has taken a page out of NCL's playbook, adding so many venues, similar in sound to ones found on NCL's ships. I wonder if the cabins they're adding will be similar to those found on NCL, too?

I think Carnival will do well with these changes, but they will have to make further changes in order to really score, and that is to change their corporate and managerial thinking and practice. The last few years they've gone downhill, imo. They need to care more about their passengers experiences, interact with the passengers, listen to passengers praises AND concerns.

Runaway and Stayaway.

Break-a-leg and Get-a-life?

All kidding aside I don't think Breakaway is all that bad a name although I am less enamored of Getaway.

And Destiny sounds much cooler than Sunshine!

Runaway and Stayaway.

That is really funny.

I like Sunshine ok, I did hate to see NCL name the new ships badly, I wanted to see something different than those really cheesy Breakaway and Getaway.

So, I'll be the first, and possibly the only, that will go on record saying "I like the name". :)

I too like Breakaway and Getaway. Yes, they could be seen a bit cheesy and obivious but I don't think that they are that much different from many, many others on the market. If something, I'd think those as neutral names but by no means have they negative sound to me.

Archived