How competitive is Princess trivia...really?

crusinpeg

To me is the couple that cheats, by bringing their sheets of past questions and answers. They then give the prizes to their waiter and cabin steward INSTEAD of a tip. They are affectionately know as the Trivia Tippers. Usually sail on the Ocean and Pacific Princess.

That's a poor act:rolleyes:

BTW, I also think it's competitive and make use the afternoon session and bingo to use the laundromat. It's much quieter there at those times.

Sounds good...we love trivia..not super good but DH seems to always come up with the oddball ones that no one else knows(or even cares about)

How will we know you? Besides the fact that you like us will have that Florida Tan?

Peggy

If neither of you wants to posts enough info to be contacted on board, you could meet up at the Meet & Greet

Boy what an active thread, I will add my 2 cents... We have been on several cruise lines and my DH always plays trivia. Most of them are very fun. We had a 14 day on Princess a few years ago and there was this one lady that had been a teacher from Canada and she was always arguing with the staff running it and if she didn't win she got so angry. It was really crazy. But ususally it is lots of fun and no one looks anything up on the computer.

I take trivia seriously but play for fun as well. I like getting a good team together. Our dream team on the Emerald several years ago won almost every trivia and the grand prize (cumulative points from the sea day trivias). We had an international team that included three Europeans and three Americans, ranging in age from 45 to 75.

I ventured off onto Carnival this past week and was disappointed in the trivias--both in terms of the questions and the participation levels. The biggest one probably had eight teams, and none of the teams had a full contingent of six. The smallest one was me against a woman. I ended up winning seven of the ten times I tried.

The other problem was that they only gave one prize to the winning team. I ended up with five of the trophies, playing either alone or with DH. I let my teammates have the other two when I played with people not related to me.

The funniest thing which happens to me about trivia was on a port day. Obviously this is then much smaller in contingent. I went tot the wheelhouse bar and there was already one other person there.

After 10 minutes the staff member turned up with the questions. No other people had com e The other lady said to me "do you want to join my team"?

:D:D:D After rolling around the floor laughing the cruise staff member gave us each a lanyard and we did not play

I love trivia. Last time there were three teenagers on looking for a team and no one was very hospitable to the "kids". Being a teacher, I took them unto my team. Great decision. Three amazingly bright cousins that spoke several languages between them. We won a bottle of champagne. My husband and I are non-drinkers and they were too young. The CD sent it to the teenagers' parents.

We play as much team trivia as we can, it is one of our favorite activities. The only time it bothers me is when there are cheaters. I have seen a large group of people split up into two teams sitting near each other and exchange the answer sheets and grade each others answers, so they get near perfect scores. I have seen teams greater than the maximum participate. We have won more than enough of all the prizes over our 22 cruises, so we always give our prizes away, usually to kids or to those who dont appear to be winning much. That makes us feel good. We are competitive and play to win, but we dont get all bent out of shape when we dont. We try to balance fun with competition, as should be for most games. I didnt like Trivia on a Carnival cruise because each group graded their own paper! Also, I dont like it when people yell out the answers. But, such is life....I am on a cruise so no need to blow a gasket. Better to just learn some new things and enjoy people.

My perspective is a little bit different, not being a very frequent cruiser. I recognized pretty early on that the game and prizes were fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I usually try to go to the Trivia games whenever I don't have anything else to do. It has been enjoyable for the most part. There are a couple of things that mildly annoyed me, but recognizing the nature of the games, it didn't really affect my enjoyment.

First, just my personal preference, I would rather have trivia games be solo or teams of 2. There are plenty of other times for socializing with other people, but to my thinking, a game that rewards wide and varied tidbits of knowledge, should not be played in a large team. It always seemed that the teams were well formed and experienced, not something that a person or couple could wander into and easily group up into teams.

Second, some of the teams were bordering on being obnoxious to the staff. It wasn't terrible, but there were MANY requests for repeats of the question because people just couldn't shut up - a lot of the time it was not even discussing the questions. And a couple times we had a British girl from the staff reading questions, and people would keep asking her to repeat a question or phrase, pretending that they couldn't understand because of her pronunciation. Once or twice was funny, but it happened a lot, like they were being clever for pointing out she talked funny. :rolleyes:

If the stakes were higher, there would need to be some changes in the process, but I guess the way it is set up, you can just go with the flow and have fun.

I heard that Princess was discouraging them from cruising. That they were refusing all their demands. But that is just what I heard, so who knows. We have been lucky, several times they have gotten off as we got on or gotten on when we were getting off, so we have never met them. Get another chance in 4 weeks when we go on the Ocean Princess, their usual choice.

Wouldn't it be funny if the CD staff, if they know this couple will be on their ship, came up with new questions that would skew toward a different demographic?

Some teams do get pretty serious and on our last cruise, the same team won nearly every event. However, we love to play and have made some great friends playing Trivia. We like to win occasionally but mostly we just enjoy the challenge. It's also a good reason for mixing generations and nationalities - so everyone can get some answers right.

Wouldn't it be funny if the CD staff' date=' if they know this couple will be on their ship, came up with new questions that would skew toward a different demographic?[/quote']

One time the staff told us that the Trivia Tippers were getting on at the end of our cruise and each of the trivia runners on the staff had to have 20 new sets of quesions for trivia.

Just wondering...DH and I love trivia as a fun way to pass the time...lately I've been reading about people using the internet while playing to get answers...also the same team winning every day...any thoughts??

I absolutely love the trivia games and have won a few with the help of a great team. What makes me laugh is that when we go in, we oftentimes will just ask to join up with another couple or two -- they look us up and down and will refuse. So, we always wonder what they are thinking -- maybe "do they look smart?". Maybe they just don't like meeting strangers.

So, one time, these two elderly ladies saw that our self esteem was going out the door after several refusals and let us join them. Next, our neighbor from the next cabin was on a cruise with his wife who was pregnant and sea sick -- and he joined us. Nobody even knew what hit them -- we got every single question between the 5 of us. We keep our group throughout the rest of the cruise and obtained some of the most covetted prizes of all times. hahaha

So, just don't judge that book by its cover, you know.

Just a personal observation, but I've noticed that triva has become too intense for me and I've lost intrest in playing. Several cruises ago, I actually got yelled at for sitting in a "Team's" area.....

Bob

Good grief--some folks just ned to get a life!!!!

Perhaps on the Royal sailing we can form a team? We play for fun! (and don't care where we sit)

:)

Bev

Not trying to brag, but I am quite good at trivia (negatively acknowledged as a "know-it-all") as are a couple of our regular cruise companions. We enjoy trivia and are friendly-competitive. Our winnings to date include a set of Princess luggage-tags, so not too much to get all competitive over. However, our team was accused of cheating once by another group. I think they assumed we were listening in to their discussions; perhaps because my wife was telling me to be quieter about our own discussions. We were mildly offended by the accusation but we took more as a moment of humour than offense and laughed-it-off.

On the Dec.17th cruise...during Jeopdize Trivis..there was a big group in the bank that was using small pads to look up answers on the Internet. They were laughing about it...I thought they were joking..as they got some really hard answers. They were real good on obscure flags.

Afterwards..I learned that people saw them with it.

We did not report. anyone so lacking in self esteem to have to cheat at trivia on a cruise.......needs help.

Princess..should be aware of the problem though.

The Trivia on Princess is competitive..fun...attended by great people..

small minded people cheating on small internet connective devices..should be called out..embarrased.

Hi melody

I have very fond memories of our trivia games and drinking lousy champagne in the club fusion :)

We take our trivia seriously but having fun is the main objective.

Melinda

Melinda!!! Hi!!! I think about you guys all the time!! We had so much fun with you and Sue and the hubbies!! :)

Hope to see you on another cruise!! We will be on the Ruby for a B2B 11/18 and 11/25...you should come!!! :D

Good grief--some folks just ned to get a life!!!!

Perhaps on the Royal sailing we can form a team? We play for fun! (and don't care where we sit)

:)

Bev

Bev;

You're on. A great group of r/c members sound like a plan.....:):)

On the Dec.17th cruise...during Jeopdize Trivis..there was a big group in the bank that was using small pads to look up answers on the Internet. They were laughing about it...I thought they were joking..as they got some really hard answers. They were real good on obscure flags.

Afterwards..I learned that people saw them with it.

We did not report. anyone so lacking in self esteem to have to cheat at trivia on a cruise.......needs help.

Princess..should be aware of the problem though.

The Trivia on Princess is competitive..fun...attended by great people..

small minded people cheating on small internet connective devices..should be called out..embarrased.

Walking the plank comes to mind.....:D:D:D

Bob

Bev;

You're on. A great group of r/c members sound like a plan.....:):)

Walking the plank comes to mind.....:D:D:D

Bob

After tar and feathering (I was thinking of keel hauling but will not be too unkind.

Archived