How competitive is Princess trivia...really?

crusinpeg

Just wondering...DH and I love trivia as a fun way to pass the time...lately I've been reading about people using the internet while playing to get answers...also the same team winning every day...any thoughts??

I was just on the Crown & played a lot of trivia...no sign of anyone looking up answers. It all seemed pretty friendly to me, although you KNOW there are some who take it very seriously! LOL My team actually won twice, so now I'm the proud owner of a Princess lanyard & little flashlight...ooohhhh...

I was just on the Crown & played a lot of trivia...no sign of anyone looking up answers. It all seemed pretty friendly to me, although you KNOW there are some who take it very seriously! LOL My team actually won twice, so now I'm the proud owner of a Princess lanyard & little flashlight...ooohhhh...

Oooh I won one of those little keyring lights too, so special! :rolleyes:

Hey Rose,

Crusinpeg here...just posting and passing the time until out Grand cruise on Saturday..so funny that you were the first to reply...will email you when we get back!!!

Peggy and Ernie (Bert?)

The staff usually does a good job of keeping it a friendly game.

I have never seen anyone using the internet to get an answer. I did see someone call someone looking for an answer.

Sometimes there will be a number of fairly equal teams that will each win a few. Other times there can be a strong team that often wins.

The couple of times we did trivia it was really fun and not too competitive. However, I do think it depends on who you are sailing with. I've read some of the same posts as you and I think it gets more competitive (which I think might still be fun) on longer sailings where there are many repeat Princess cruisers and lots of sea days where trivia happens often. Some of those folks take their trivia very serious. I will say, I enjoyed the few times I've participated. I learned alot of new things.

Since teams are in plain sight of one another, I'd hope no one would use their iPhone...and if someone noticed them and complained about them on CC, why didn't they turn them in (discreetly) to onboard staff? Then there are the questions that get repeated, during a single cruise or a B2B, giving some folks a leg up. What should we do, recuse ourselves?

Gotta say that my partner and I take it pretty seriously, in an ironic way. (I was in Jeopardy's final contestant pool, so my mind seems to be pretty trivial.)

We're not the only ones. On one sailing, we were part of a great team that won regularly. When the CD dubbed us "the Braniacs," though, one very miffed woman on another team called out, "Well, some of the rest of us win too!" and she most assuredly wasn't being ironic. And then there are all the, um, interesting interpersonal dynamics when you're part of team for a couple of weeks. Not to mention meeting someone onboard and having a blast playing trivia with them. (Hi Pia and Mike! Hi Alice and Russ!)

One of my Big Gripes with Princess, really, is the crummy nature of so many of the prizes. For a while, we were winning so many baseball caps that we gave a bunch away. We were therefore thrilled (in an ironic way) to hear there was going to a new range of prizes. Now we have a bunch of lanyards and little cheesy flashlights, and how many magnets does our fridge need? Makes one long for the glory days of the Princess luggage strap.

In the grand CC tradition, an ultimatum: Improve those trivia prizes, or I'm never sailing Princess again! ;)

Hey Rose,

Crusinpeg here...just posting and passing the time until out Grand cruise on Saturday..so funny that you were the first to reply...will email you when we get back!!!

Peggy and Ernie (Bert?)

Hi Bert!! LOL

It seems pretty competitive to me. DH used to play but he finally stopped because people were getting too intense. Then we met a frequent traveler who had her team established for a longer, exotic cruise thirteen months in advance.

I guess for me it's like gambling...I just don't understand the appeal. And I certainly don't understand why there have to be prizes. That part is very 'grade school birthday party' to me. But I suppose it's a throwback to cruising tradition.

We love trivia and have enjoyed meeting a team, and getting to know each other well on a long cruise. I have also seen people using their laptops and their phones and sneaking in another couple of members to assist their team (pretending to read a book) but the worst thing we say on an RCI cruise was one of the team members regularly left the room to ask someone/anyone outside for an answer.

It is sad that, for a prize worth about $1 if that, players get so intense I love to learn new things - however I do get miffed when the answers given by the cruise staff running the trivia for the day are incorrect and often out of date.:)

To me is the couple that cheats, by bringing their sheets of past questions and answers. They then give the prizes to their waiter and cabin steward INSTEAD of a tip. They are affectionately know as the Trivia Tippers. Usually sail on the Ocean and Pacific Princess.

I used to play but, as I sail solo, I was never very welcome on any sort of serious team because, unless they found another single, they'd have to play with only five and that was a disadvantage. But I took it seriously too (yes, of course I like winning) so I wasn't so comfortable on a 'casual' team ... sigh ...

Trivia is definitely anything but trivial!!

On the first cruise my DH and I played Trivia we were a 2 person team and tied at the end of regular play. The other team (with 6 players) tried to get us disqualified because there were only 2 of us! We won in the playoff. :D

I've been on 4 cruise lines.........it usually is friendly........but on the longer cruises it seems there is always one team...(never fails) that is cut throat! Out for blood every day for 2 weeks.......:rolleyes:

To me is the couple that cheats, by bringing their sheets of past questions and answers. They then give the prizes to their waiter and cabin steward INSTEAD of a tip. They are affectionately know as the Trivia Tippers. Usually sail on the Ocean and Pacific Princess.

OMG!!!! Shut the Front Door.:eek:

I love trivia. We played the Trivial Pursuit game for years with friends. Sure I like to win, but enjoy playing for fun more.:):)

This year the rollcall is planning a game day/night playing Sequence.:D

I used to play but, as I sail solo, I was never very welcome on any sort of serious team because, unless they found another single, they'd have to play with only five and that was a disadvantage. But I took it seriously too (yes, of course I like winning) so I wasn't so comfortable on a 'casual' team ... sigh ...

Trivia is definitely anything but trivial!!

You are always welcome to join us. We see to usually wind up with two couples and two solos and have a great time. Some of the solos are traveling alone and others have non-trivia traveling companions.

Just wondering...DH and I love trivia as a fun way to pass the time...lately I've been reading about people using the internet while playing to get answers...also the same team winning every day...any thoughts??

We were on the Crown Princess in December and one team won almost every game of trivia we played. They were on the second half of a B2B and the questions must have been the same on the first half. They got beat one night and were really bad sports.

Perhaps DW and I can team up with Ernie and you occasionally on our upcoming Grand Princess sailing.

I enjoy playing trivia. I play to win but I don't get bent out of shape when we lose. The prizes aren't worth it. Just got back from a B2B on the Crown. Too many questions were repeated over the two weeks. I haven't seen any cheating or computer use. We share some of the prizes with our cruise friends.

After one HAL cruise I found out that they really take their trivia seriously.

I love the trivia! DH and I play all the time when we cruise. I'm a trivia buff and I'm pretty competitive, but win or lose, for us it's all about having fun, meeting people, and not taking it too seriously.

A few times there were teams that would challenge the answer that host gave to a question...to the point of making the host uncomfortable. That is way overboard if you ask me. After all, it is just a game. :)

I can be a little bit competitive at trivia. It's something my entire family is really good at, so I take a certain amount of pride. So watch out, anyone on the May 5 coastal cruise, unless you want to join me : ).

Archived