How competitive is Princess trivia...really?

crusinpeg

Just wondering...DH and I love trivia as a fun way to pass the time...lately I've been reading about people using the internet while playing to get answers...also the same team winning every day...any thoughts??

I love your question, from our experiences it is VERY competitive!

On one of our cruises, the Princess Rep. used an actual box of cards from the Trivia Pursuit game....how great that was!

I'm intrigued...we're going on our third Princess cruise at the end of the month and I don't ever recall seeing any trivia games in the patters, though I also wasn't looking for them. Is it just random/general knowledge type of questions? Sounds like a fun distraction one afternoon (and as someone else mentioned, having a few drinks would probably make it even more fun, lol).

I love the trivia! DH and I play all the time when we cruise. I'm a trivia buff and I'm pretty competitive, but win or lose, for us it's all about having fun, meeting people, and not taking it too seriously.

A few times there were teams that would challenge the answer that host gave to a question...to the point of making the host uncomfortable. That is way overboard if you ask me. After all, it is just a game. :)

I've seen that as well, on other cruise lines. We're pretty competitive too, and do win fairly often, but the people who take it WAAAAY too seriously, to the point of hassling the trivia host...need to get a life. ;)

Very competitive! On our SA cruise, we teamed up with two other couples we met through the CC roll call. We were in second a lot and then learned that one lady on one of the teams had been on the ship for over 40 days - and that they repeated questions! We beat them once at full strength but then after know it all got off in Buenos Aires, we won most of the remaining games, losing only to another team with CC members. Came home with passport holders, pens, lanyards, and keychain / flashlights. It was a lot of fun, and a way to get to know the other two couples a lot better.

One thing though that I found strange. At the Captain's Circle party, I asked Sammi the cruise director why there wasn't a morning show trivia as that is fun too. She said that it had gotten so crazy that people were stealing answers out of the box, and on one cruise the box was actually stolen! She also said that people had written to the president of the company complaining about trivia. So they were trying to avoid conflict and keep it friendly.

I'm intrigued...we're going on our third Princess cruise at the end of the month and I don't ever recall seeing any trivia games in the patters, though I also wasn't looking for them. Is it just random/general knowledge type of questions? Sounds like a fun distraction one afternoon (and as someone else mentioned, having a few drinks would probably make it even more fun, lol).

It is usually general trivia. Somethings they will have a themed one. Most ships have trivia late morning (11am or so) late afternoon (4:30pm or so) and in the evening (9:30pm or so). Prizes are minimal. No free cruise or anything like that.

Just wondering...DH and I love trivia as a fun way to pass the time...lately I've been reading about people using the internet while playing to get answers...also the same team winning every day...any thoughts??

We typically take cruises at least 14 days long and they become to serious for us. We've seen the same team win every day as if they already new the answers to the questions (maybe because they are repeat guests?). But maybe this is because Princess doesn't change the questions enough.

My friends are very, very serious about it and I enjoy it because they win a lot. They've gotten crabby looks from others and there's been some serious competition. They get disappointed if they lose, but it doesn't last more than a minute. LOL. When I cruise solo I've never been invited to join others, so I don't go anymore.

played twice, got so frustrated when all the questions were based on North American Culture. We were asked to play again one night when they were desperate for players. We refused unless they made the question more global. We won that one.

Terry

We play trivia at home (any NTN Buzztime fans out there?) so we try to play the trivia on board Princess. Our last cruise on the Golden Princess we played on a team of 4 that included a man from Scotland as well as three Americans. We've found it works better to have a team that can handle questions from either side of the Atlantic. We did fairly well during the cruise, and brought home our share of water bottles, lanyards, fans, flashlights, and magnets.

On the Diamond Princess last spring, we enjoyed how they did the prizes for trivia. Each winner on the team got a trivia prize voucher, then a couple of days before we reached Alaska, they set up a table where you could exchange the vouchers for various prizes. The champagne bottles seemed to go rather quickly, with some of the better teams picking up enough champagne to keep them occupied consuming them the last two days on board.

Unfortunately, we have met some of the more aggressive teams on board that use their smartphones or extra people to make sure they win. It's only a game! If you have to do that to win, you need some help! One time we played the TV theme trivia and tied for first, and the other team asked they be given the win because they were playing with only 4 people (you should have seen their faces when the host told them they were beaten by a team of only 2 people on the other side of the room).

The one thing that would be nice is if the people doing the trivia sessions on board checked out their answers a little better before hosting a session. It seems over the last few years, there have been more and more glaringly wrong answers provided. Most hosts don't mind having people show them after the session what was wrong with their answer so they can use the correct answer the next time (one host on the Sea Princess was the exception - he told people if they didn't like his questions/answers they should start using another cruise line instead of Princess). We guess with people taking longer and longer cruises, they are having to find additional questions to ask and don't check them as well as they used to.

To me is the couple that cheats, by bringing their sheets of past questions and answers. They then give the prizes to their waiter and cabin steward INSTEAD of a tip. They are affectionately know as the Trivia Tippers. Usually sail on the Ocean and Pacific Princess.

I remember reading about them. Have they been spotted recently?

played twice, got so frustrated when all the questions were based on North American Culture. We were asked to play again one night when they were desperate for players. We refused unless they made the question more global. We won that one.

Terry

To me, it seems many of the questions are about Britain and Australia. On our last cruise, there was a question about an airport in Southern California and the answer given was wrong. My team (all natives of Southern California) told the crew member that the answer was wrong. But he refused to consider that his source (a book published in the UK) would be wrong.

When we last sailed on Princess, for the most part, the trivia games were friendly.

But we did have one instance where a team was cheating by using the internet. One of the cruise staff caught them and it turned into a BIG thing! The cruise staffer said, "You don't need a mouse to play trivia" :eek: The folks cheating reported the staffer!

Can you imagine cheating in a trivia game where a ball cap is the prize...so rediculous!

You know how you switch your answer sheets with another team and you "grade" each other? Well our team wrote "Coke" for an answer and they marked us wrong because we didn't write "Coca Cola" !!!!

Really silly stuff!!

The biggest problem is when the answer to the question given by the Cruise Staff is obviously wrong. Some of the players can get a little testy at that point, to say the least. Never have seen anyone openly cheating w/internet or iphone. It can get very competitive however, especially on longer cruises.

I will check a questionable answer on the internet at a later time and if it actually is incorrect, I'll politely let the Cruise Staff member know it needs to be checked out before asked again.

We were on the Crown Princess in December and one team won almost every game of trivia we played. They were on the second half of a B2B and the questions must have been the same on the first half. They got beat one night and were really bad sports.

Perhaps DW and I can team up with Ernie and you occasionally on our upcoming Grand Princess sailing.

Hey! Ormond Beach!! You are the first person I have seen on CC who is from Ormond Beach like I am!!!:D

We had a blast playing. It ended up being short tunes from TV shows. No way to cheat. We even had other people check the answers. It was fun, light hearted, and we won too! Yep, a Princess key chain light. I love mine!

I remember reading about them. Have they been spotted recently?

To me' date=' it seems many of the questions are about Britain and Australia. On our last cruise, there was a question about an airport in Southern California and the answer given was wrong. My team (all natives of Southern California) told the crew member that the answer was wrong. But he refused to consider that his source (a book published in the UK) would be wrong.[/quote']

I heard that Princess was discouraging them from cruising. That they were refusing all their demands. But that is just what I heard, so who knows. We have been lucky, several times they have gotten off as we got on or gotten on when we were getting off, so we have never met them. Get another chance in 4 weeks when we go on the Ocean Princess, their usual choice.

It's such a thrill when you find a subject area you can excel in and then beat the usual competitive winning teams. We had a Movie Poster trivia quiz on the Sapphire to Hawaii last month and our team of 5 had two blind members. We were very nervous at the start as the posters were being displayed on screen! Some we got straight away but others needed me to describe the actor and scene to help get to the movie title. It worked - we won with 34 points out of 35! What a blast! Still got the belt key clip thingy prize.

would anyone play without prizes, I know I would. Often as possible we give away the prizes to kids or the second place team but we keep the pens. Just for fun I went to e-bay and many of the prizes are for sale there.

would anyone play without prizes, I know I would. Often as possible we give away the prizes to kids or the second place team but we keep the pens. Just for fun I went to e-bay and many of the prizes are for sale there.

We give away most of the prizes too. So, we would play with out the prizes

That's funny! I went to ebay and saw that someone was selling the chef's jacket that they give out when you take the Ultimate Ship Tour. :rolleyes::p

On one cruise on Emerald in 2010, a team brought reference books with them.

As I had a laptop and free internet, I suggested that we just turn it

into a circus to see who could google faster. ...just to make sure that

it was absolutely no fun for anyone.

We were on the Crown Princess in December and one team won almost every game of trivia we played. They were on the second half of a B2B and the questions must have been the same on the first half. They got beat one night and were really bad sports.

Perhaps DW and I can team up with Ernie and you occasionally on our upcoming Grand Princess sailing.

Sounds good...we love trivia..not super good but DH seems to always come up with the oddball ones that no one else knows(or even cares about)

How will we know you? Besides the fact that you like us will have that Florida Tan?

Peggy

Archived