MTD on Liberty, chance of 'table for two'?

We're going on our very first cruise in May - Western Med on Liberty of the Seas, and have chosen My Time Dining, I'm wondering what time of evening to go to the dining room for the best chance of getting a 'table for two' is, i.e. when it will be quietest. I know that the minimum table size is four seats. Either very early or very late I guess? It's not that we're antisocial, in fact we will request seating with others most nights - that'll be great for advice from experienced cruisers, but for a special birthday (mine, uh oh) we'd love it to be 'just the two of us'. Is this request usually no problem, or can it be difficult at busy times?

Thanks for the help, and also for all the tips I've gathered over the months from this great site! I think I'm gonna LOVE cruising!

Tom

We've done MTD twice and our best chance for a table for two was mid way between early and late seating. However, something that worked on two cruises may or may not work on your specific cruise.

We usually make reservations as early as possible and always get a table for two, usually by a window.

You're best bet would be to talk to the maitre de and tell him what you want. He should be able to accomodate your request as long as you are flexible on the time.

We're going on our very first cruise in May - Western Med on Liberty of the Seas, and have chosen My Time Dining, I'm wondering what time of evening to go to the dining room for the best chance of getting a 'table for two' is, i.e. when it will be quietest. I know that the minimum table size is four seats. Either very early or very late I guess? It's not that we're antisocial, in fact we will request seating with others most nights - that'll be great for advice from experienced cruisers, but for a special birthday (mine, uh oh) we'd love it to be 'just the two of us'. Is this request usually no problem, or can it be difficult at busy times?

Thanks for the help, and also for all the tips I've gathered over the months from this great site! I think I'm gonna LOVE cruising!

Tom

We usually make reservations as early as possible and always get a table for two, usually by a window.

That's great, thanks for the advice! I was stressing over whether to reserve a time online or not, I guess I won't and I'll just ask the time, or do you actually do it online?

Thanks mskaufman - The traditional dining times are 18:30, 19:00, 21:00 and 21:30 so I'm thinking 8pm would be a good idea.

I have done MTD several times on different ships & only 1 time have I shared a table with other diners...even if you end up at a 4 top...if you ask to be seated alone they will not seat anyone else with you...I've also never made reservations...I prefer to eat when I choose day by day...

If you make a reservation each day and ask for a table for two (by the window, if you want it) they will try their hardest to honor your request. If you get a table that you really like, remember the table number and request that table each night. That is what I did. I don't care for eating with strangers while I'm on vacation so My Time Dining works best for me. I would always check the evening dinner menu after lunch and then make my reservation. If you don't like what's being served for dinner that evening, call Portofino or Chops Grill and make a reservation there. Portofino is $25 per person and Chops Grill is $30 per person, but they are both well worth it. It's great to try each once while onboard. Enjoy!

I generally do it on-line. I believe there is also a preference for table size on there somewhere.

That's great, thanks for the advice! I was stressing over whether to reserve a time online or not, I guess I won't and I'll just ask the time, or do you actually do it online?

Thanks mskaufman - The traditional dining times are 18:30, 19:00, 21:00 and 21:30 so I'm thinking 8pm would be a good idea.

I generally do it on-line. I believe there is also a preference for table size on there somewhere.

Yes you are correct. You can make MTD reservations online before you cruise. I did this but still had to make a reservation onboard. Not sure why.

I know that the minimum table size is four seats.... Is this request usually no problem, or can it be difficult at busy times?

Hi Tom,

Tables for two are actually "the norm" for MTD. You will see many of them. The minimum size is not 4. We always had two-tops every night we dined, at our request.

One thing I'd recommend is going earlier rather than later. If the Main Seating "traditional" dining is at 6 pm, and some people feel this is too early for them, they may go for MTD at 7 pm or so. My recommendation is to go at an off-peak hour, even at a quarter or three-quarter hour. You show up for MTD without reservations, at 6:15 or 6:45, I think you'll get seated right away.

Let us know how you like Liberty! She is phenominal. :)

Great tips from some very experienced cruisers, thanks guys! I can't wait for Liberty, so excited! My only worry is the cruise addiction that i'm sure I'll get afterwards, so hopefully this will be the first of many cruises! :D

This really is a great forum isn't it.

Great tips from some very experienced cruisers, thanks guys! I can't wait for Liberty, so excited! My only worry is the cruise addiction that i'm sure I'll get afterwards, so hopefully this will be the first of many cruises! :D

This really is a great forum isn't it.

We have sailed Liberty twice within the last 12 months and have had MTD dining each time and never had a problem getting a table for 2.

We're sailing on her again in May but cannot reserve MTD online as yet and have been advised that it may not be available online this time.

However, I know it won't be a problem for a table for 2 whenever you decide to dine.

I can guarantee you will enjoy Liberty and you will get addicted!

I know that the minimum table size is four seats.

Tom

Just to clarify a possible misconception. Not only can you be seated by yourselves with no other couple. There are also table that seat just two. We sailed on the Liberty twice in 2010, and unless something has changed since then, they had plenty of tables for couples only. Of course, that may possibly mean that they split a table for 4 apart, and you end up sitting relatively closer to another table. But, you will have a small table to yourselves.

We're sailing on her again in May but cannot reserve MTD online as yet and have been advised that it may not be available online this time.

However, I know it won't be a problem for a table for 2 whenever you decide to dine.

Thanks Pete, I noticed that MTD booking times on the website actually became available yesterday, we were waitlisted but have now been accepted.

On a side note, it was your pictures from last year that encouraged me to book this cruise, thanks for that!

It's a small world - my partner lives near Manchester and I'm from Warwick. I think we'll be disembarking from Liberty on the day you arrive, so I'll give you a wave in Barcelona! ;)

MTD opened up for our July cruise in the last couple of days. 7 and 7.15 weren't available so I booked 7.30 and preference for a table for two. I'm happy with that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Pete, I noticed that MTD booking times on the website actually became available yesterday, we were waitlisted but have now been accepted.

On a side note, it was your pictures from last year that encouraged me to book this cruise, thanks for that!

It's a small world - my partner lives near Manchester and I'm from Warwick. I think we'll be disembarking from Liberty on the day you arrive, so I'll give you a wave in Barcelona! ;)

Just booked our MTD and speciality restaurants too after I was told late last night that they were available.

Glad my photos helped you choose Liberty, you'll have a great time and we'll wave back on the 13th!

I'm a born and bred Mancunian, never managed to get away!

MTD opened up for our July cruise in the last couple of days. 7 and 7.15 weren't available so I booked 7.30 and preference for a table for two. I'm happy with that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most times the 7 and 7:15 doesn't show to book.....they figure they need some time for those eating earlier to finish up......when you get on board,you can ask if you can eat a bit earlier,if you like..

Most times the 7 and 7:15 doesn't show to book.....they figure they need some time for those eating earlier to finish up......when you get on board,you can ask if you can eat a bit earlier,if you like..

Excellent, I thought we might be able to rock up at 7.15 if it suited, and there might be space.

I love the concept of MTD. I just got back from the Queen Mary 2 where dining was at 6pm and the latest was 6.30. But I love watching sail aways and hearing the horns. And I dislike buffets. The first night the sail away was delayed from 6 until 6.30 and as it was my home town I wanted to see it. So I had to eat at the buffet. Hated it. The next night was fine, but then another sailaway. That was on time at 6pm but we had to race down at 6.20 when it hadn't completely finished, just to eat in the main restaurant again. It would have been so much nicer to take our time and eat when it suited. Thankfully our table mates were wonderful people and we got on so well! We all, seven of us, just clicked.

I love the concept of MTD. I just got back from the Queen Mary 2 where dining was at 6pm and the latest was 6.30. But I love watching sail aways and hearing the horns. And I dislike buffets. The first night the sail away was delayed from 6 until 6.30 and as it was my home town I wanted to see it. So I had to eat at the buffet. Hated it. The next night was fine, but then another sailaway. That was on time at 6pm but we had to race down at 6.20 when it hadn't completely finished, just to eat in the main restaurant again. It would have been so much nicer to take our time and eat when it suited. Thankfully our table mates were wonderful people and we got on so well! We all, seven of us, just clicked.

We did MTD because we thought 6 was too early, and 830 was too late. The ability to flex around your activities sure is nice. Also, the first time we walked past the MDR at 830 and saw the line to get in with the masses...no thanks. It moved quickly, but still - with MTD, we never had to wait more than 2 minutes, and NEVER had to wait in line. Much better!

... It's not that we're antisocial, in fact we will request seating with others most nights...

It's not antisocial to prefer or request a table for 2 for dinner. Many veteran cruisers request tables for 2.

For us, it's about flexibility and freedom. If you have a large table and everyone is getting to know each other, and there are a few couples that show up once every couple of days, I have read comments by some that seem to believe that this really throws the table "off." Recently, I read a post from a veteran cruiser that said, "why in the world would anyone reserve a large table and not show up every night?"

I thought, wow....I can't believe people still feel that way with all the alternative dining available today.

We always cruise for at least 2 weeks and dining together has and remains a very special even romantic event that we just really enjoy together after 20 years. We figure there are PLENTY of other venues to meet and socialize with other passengers and we'll leave our special dining time for just the two of us.

:-)

Archived