Big Time Unhappy Passengers

kitty9

Can't believe they would kick someone out of the mdr. People should be able to wear what they want. That's so wrong what the Md did. Celebrity needs to ditch the outdated Titantic dress code.

People should respect the guidelines that are well posted and published.

If that's a bother for them, then perhaps they should cruise on a different line:)

It doesn't matter how many threads there are about dress codes. It doesn't matter that Celebrity posts a dress code explanation on there website. It won't matter if there is a dress code sticky.

There will always be some ***** that couldn't care less. Some people feel that the rules shouldn't apply to them because they are free spirits, special.

Those are the same scofflaws that think speed limits don't apply to them. They don't believe in queing up in any kind of a line either. They are my pet peeve.

~Doris~

It's just not on cruises.... At all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean there is a dress code too...slacks and shirts with collars for the men....:p

If any establishment of any kind request dress codes then comply...not too hard to understand.

Cc

At the Captains Club party on the Eclipse the dress code was smart casual and it was enforced by the host telling everyone gathered outside the Sky Lounge that if they were wearing shorts they would not be admitted. He was watching everyone as they entered the area .:)

My husband and I love the dressing up aspect of a cruise. I'm glad Celebrity is enforcing dress codes. I think I will write them a note and tell them that they're doing a good job. Everyone else, send in your compliments too so Celebrity will know that there are plenty of us out there who agree that one should be appropriately attired in the MDR and Blu!

He looked very dashing in it. No one gave him any trouble. Once you sit down, who can see what is on (or not on) your legs.

DH did the tux thing for formal night our first cruise and on a cruise with our DS and DD because I asked them to for pictures. Since then on he has worn a dress shirt (often short sleeves) and dress pants or khakis. The tie, if he wears one at all, usually comes off at the table. No one bats an eye. He wears shorts for all the other parts of the cruise. The suit jacket hasn't made it on more than one cruise. We are on vacation, know no one else at all on the ship, and don't care what anyone else wears. Yes, it's nice to see other people dress up but we don't make fun of the ones who don't either.

Happy cruising.

Hmm, I think I'll get a kilt for my DH. He's got MS, and is really sensitive to heat. So putting slacks on him in the daytime on a warm-weather cruise is just not an option. We had to skip the Elite daytime events because of that on our last cruise. (I asked and explained, they still said no).

(Still can't see him going into the MDR with shorts, though, just as he'd never wear shorts to church).

At the Captains Club party on the Eclipse the dress code was smart casual and it was enforced by the host telling everyone gathered outside the Sky Lounge that if they were wearing shorts they would not be admitted. He was watching everyone as they entered the area .:)

Same on Equinox last cruise and one was refused admission. Also turned away was a Suite guest who thought he was entitled to attend the Elite level event. :)

I'm sick of the dress code and I know many others feel the same way.

The last thing I want to do on vacation is dress up. I'm sick of packing all this extra weight.

This dress code has to go.

I want to dine in the mdr and not at the buffet.

I will continue to push and push until we can wear what we want to dinner. Hopefully everyone else will join in. I know the men here side with me. Just man up to your spouse and let them know how you really feel.

Why is this even an issue?

Restaurants everywhere have dress codes...

I know restaurants here in California where you would be turned away if you show up in shorts and t-shirt...and, overall, we're a pretty casual society here...

If you want to wear shorts, there are plenty of other restaurants where you won't be turned away.

The whole idea of "It's my vacation, I'll where whatever I want" sounds good, but it is unrealistic. What if you showed up shoeless and shirtless? You'd be turned away almost anywhere. What if you showed up NAKED?

The cruise line is allowed to impose its own rules...and they do for a number of things...They also tell you where you can or can't smoke. They tell you when you need to get back from port. They tell you what items you can or cannot bring onboard. And so on...

Picture the same guy bringing on board his assault rifle...or showing up at the Children's club and lighting up a cigar...or showing up naked to sunbathe at the pool deck...

You may not like all of the cruise line's rules, but they have the right to impose them and enforce them...

To the poster who claimed he doesn't have the luggage space to pack formal wear: That one is EASY...I do it all the time for that very reason -- RENT A TUX...

The last thing I want to do on vacation is dress up. I'm sick of packing all this extra weight.

I will continue to push and push until we can wear what we want to dinner. Hopefully everyone else will join in. I know the men here side with me. Just man up to your spouse and let them know how you really feel.

You're in luck!!!

Believe it or not there is a cruise line which caters to your desire! Go to NCL and check out their freestyle cruises. They offer main dining areas on their ship that have no dress codes and where you will be welcome to dress as casually as you like any time.

If you feel strongly about dressing very casual all the time then pick a cruise line that has that policy. It makes no sense for you to pick a cruise line that has a dress policy that conflicts with this belief and then complain about it. Keep life simple and stress free and make the choices that go along with your lifestyle. But please don't complain and tell us and Celebrity that they should change a policy that the majority of their customers like just because you do not.

If you feel strongly about dressing casual all the time then pick a cruise line that has that policy. It makes no sense to me for you to pick a cruise line that has a dress policy that conflicts with this belief and then complain about it. Keep life simple and stress free and make the choices that go along with your lifestyle. But please don't complain and tell us and Celebrity that they should change a policy that the majority of their customers like just because you do not.

Exactly! It's no different than someone going into a French restaurant and getting upset because they don't serve Italian food and expecting them to change their menu. I am forever amazed at the blatant selfishness of some people.

If I were in charge and someone pitched a fit because they were denied entrance to a venue by not following the rules, I would have them removed from the ship at the next stop. The passengers that follow the guidelines don't need that kind of person negatively affecting their experience.

Don't expect to be treated like a Celebrity when you dress up for Burger King. If you don't want to dress up, don't cruise with Celebrity! I hear Carnival has no formal nights so that may be a better choice. The last time I looked in the mirror I saw a man and I sure don't need my wife to tell me to dress up. I consider that part of the juice of life. Without dressing up for occasions, life becomes a bore. I don't think anyone would dare to ignore the dress code if they were invited to a formal wedding or show up in shorts at a corporate event. :eek:

Brad 1185 is entitled to be a Celebrity cruiser that disagrees with a policy and has every right to voice that opinion in this forum without being personally attacked. It is against the CC policy. So all of you posting about following Celebrity's rules in the MDR might want to follow your own advice and follow the Cruise Critic rules here as well.

Can't believe they would kick someone out of the mdr. People should be able to wear what they want. That's so wrong what the Md did. Celebrity needs to ditch the outdated Titantic dress code.

Don't like the dress code? Sail Norwegian or any of the other lines that don't care if you look like a slob. I hardly ever dress up, but I like the dress code and one of the reasons I like Celebrity is because of the dress code.

Don't want to dress up on Formal night, fine? Go to casual dining up on deck or another cruise line, but stay out of the MDR.

Brad1185 wrote :

"I will continue to push and push until we can wear what we want to dinner. Hopefully everyone else will join in. I know the men here side with me. Just man up to your spouse and let them know how you really feel."

Celebrity has already eliminated formal dining in Blu. They allow whatever you want to wear at the buffet. It makes sense that the MDR remain a dressier venue, especially for those of us that like smart casual at dinner. I'm a guy that rarely wears a suit, but I enjoy putting on a jacket for dinner on the ship.

Brad, you can wear whatever you want at home....I like Celebrity's dress code policy and. Hope it never changes.

You're preaching to the wrong choir here. Norwegian has no dress code. Sail there. We're happy with the dress code and don't want it removed. If you wish to continue to push with no effect, go to Las Vegas, drive to Hoover Dam and push that for a while. That will move about as much.

Good for them, if you don't like it try another cruise line.:rolleyes:

Brad 1185 is entitled to be a Celebrity cruiser that disagrees with a policy and has every right to voice that opinion in this forum without being personally attacked. It is against the CC policy. So all of you posting about following Celebrity's rules in the MDR might want to follow your own advice and follow the Cruise Critic rules here as well.

We're not personally attacking him and calling him names. He's the one saying man up and tell our spouses that we won't dress up. If we all like the dress code and don't want it changed nobody should be trying to impose their view on us either.

im just curious, is it only people wearing shorts/tee shirts being denied entrance or any man without a jacket? We will be on solstice soon and only are able to bring carry on luggage so we pack light. Is a shirt and tie with dress pants and shoes dooable? I know there will be some backlash for asking this as I see this is a heated topic but I really can't imagine offending someone by wearing a shirt and tie....

Hello dimiegirl!

On formal nights in the MDR my hubby has either worn his own suit or rented a tux directly from the cruiseline. The second option might be very convient for you in your circumstances. They will deliver it directly to your cabin and you just leave it there when done. You can rent everything you need including shoes! Guys are so lucky that way. :rolleyes:

Another option is to book a "Specialty Restaurant" like the Tuscan Grill on formal nights. They are "Smart Casual" in dress code every night, which for guys is pants/no jeans and a collared shirt (although Murano tends to be more formal by nature), you can spend $ there instead of on fancy clothes or checking bags. ;):D There is always the buffet option or room service which is free (just tip your delivery person ;)), room service includes the MDR menu during dinner hours and can be romantic, especially if you have a balconey. Hope you have a Great Cruise!!

Kudos to this Maitre d´! Such people just do not belong on a ship- even a X- Ship. If ever they can go to the buffet- and even there I can´t imagine shorts and some shirt. Nobody forces them to cruise- besides there several cruise lines who accommadate such dresses- why choose a classic elegant cruise line. Ah- Trailor Trash!

Michael

to the MDR at dinnertime, does not mean his tablemates will act rudely by chastising him. These non-dress code conformists always excuse their behavior by saying "I wore (insert inappropriate clothing) to dinner and none of my tablemates batted an eye or said anything". Do they really think someone will be as rude as they are and actually say anything or give them dirty looks??:confused:

People who follow dress rules and codes of etiquette will not violate those rules themselves by confronting a boorish person. As all the other posters have suggested, if you don't want to follow the dress code either eat somewhere else or go to another cruiseline.:mad:

Archived