Question for all the Alaskan Cruisers...

With some of the 2013 dates being released, my DW and I are planning an Alaskan cruise for our Anniversary. The last available date that is closest to our Anniversary Sept 6th on Radiance(looks like the last one of the season). This appears to be round trip from, and to Vancouver BC. It looks like all other dates are Northbound or Southbound one way. My question is, what will we miss since it is still a 7 day cruise? Something must be excluded? I like the idea of flying out from where we flew in, but there must be some drawbacks right? Thanks!

Go over to the Alaska board, and read up on itineraries.

What you "miss" on a round trip is interior Alaska touring. Are you at all interested in extending your vacation?? Denali Park is one of the highlights to include, another is Kenai Fjords.

Head to your library and find out about Alaska, the more you know, the better your cruise selection will be for your priorities.

Thanks!

Here is the itinerary pasted from the RCCL website. Bear with me I am Clueless about Alaskan Cruises;)

06-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia 4:30 PM

07-Sep Cruising

08-Sep Icy Strait Point, Alaska 10:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered

09-Sep Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 8:00 AM 12:00 PM Cruising

10-Sep Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

11-Sep Ketchikan, Alaska 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

12-Sep Cruising

13-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia

Go over to the Alaska board, and read up on itineraries.

What you "miss" on a round trip is interior Alaska touring. Are you at all interested in extending your vacation?? Denali Park is one of the highlights to include, another is Kenai Fjords.

Head to your library and find out about Alaska, the more you know, the better your cruise selection will be for your priorities.

My DW and I really don't care to tour the interior much, its at least not a priority for us. I see now why this cruise is way cheaper than other 7 days. It just may work for us though.

You really will "see" all the same things on your cruise as the one way trips; the major differnce is that the other trips permit you take a tour into the interior of Alaska (either with the cruise line or on your own) and many people choose to do that, over a 2 or more week period. But if thats not your plan you will have a very similar cruise experience and might save some money (the round trips are often cheaper as well as the airfare being more reasonable)

If you see any savings, my recommendation is to try to get a balcony cabin...it's well worth on those crusing days to sit on your balcony and be able to warm up inside your cabin when you want. We would warm up and then dash back out when the naturalist pointed something out. Even though at that time we never cruised in a balcnoy, it was well worth it!!

As someone already mentioned you will miss Skagway with its White Pass RR excursion and an opportunity to see more of Alaska by including a tour of the interior at either the beginning or conclusion of your cruise. While you indicate that seeing the interior of Alaska is not a priority, I must say that we have friends who had done only a cruise in Alaska until they sailed with us on a trip that included a tour which visited Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage. Their conclusion was that the land tour added considerable value to their Alaskan experience. There are many legitimate reasons (time, cost, etc.) for not doing a land tour but if your reason is that you just don't "think" you want to do it, I'd urge you to reexamine the matter. This cruise is obviously late in the season when the hours of daylight are shortest and some stores may be in the process of closing down for the season. Those are among the reasons that prices for this cruise may be much more affordable.

We also found our day in Skagway to be one of our best experiences of the cruise so would miss visiting it.

Nonetheless, if it is a choice between doing this roundtrip and not going to Alaska, I would definitely recommend booking the cruise.

Our Alaska trip was very similar to this itinerary. Round trip from Vancouver. We LOVED it. We were on a budget and couldn't do the one way with the extra trips to the interior. You will get a nice "overview" and get to see some wildlife. If you can book a balcony, try for one of the aft. Besides the amazing views, you don't have as much wind there and can take much more advantage to use the balcony itself. Cabin 1102 is still available! Enjoy your trip!

This appears to be a good itinerary for a RT Vancouver cruise and the Radiance is a great ship for Alaska given all the windows. As others have mentioned, the drawbacks are you miss Skagway and will have less daylight. September tends to be a rainy month (it certainly was for us!) but you could easily have sunshine, you just never know.

I agree with the recommendation for an aft balcony cabin in Alaska. Just remember to ask your cabin steward for an extra blanket (wrap it around yourself on the balcony). I'd also recommend whale watching in either Icy Straight or Juneau. The humpbacks are not the least bothered by rain so you will see them regardless of weather.

My favorite way to do it is north to south.

You start up higher in Alaska then the round trip Seattle or Vacouver cruises.

You usually depart from Seward. I like starting up north first because the longer flight is out of the way.

We fly into Anchorage the day before. It is wonderful, just the type of city you would expect it to be. Then, the next morning, you take the Alaskan railroad. It leaves about 7:30 in the morning. It is a spectacular ride through the Denali forest. They have the glass domed cars for viewing. They also have a great dining car where we have brunch.

The train stops right at the port in Seward around 11:00am. We actually walked to the ship with our wheeled luggage but they will take it for you if you need help.

We were able to board the ship right away.

If you see any savings, my recommendation is to try to get a balcony cabin...it's well worth on those crusing days to sit on your balcony and be able to warm up inside your cabin when you want. We would warm up and then dash back out when the naturalist pointed something out. Even though at that time we never cruised in a balcnoy, it was well worth it!!

I know everyone says get the balcony. We have always sailed on a balcony but this trip we could have easily done in an outside. It was our first RCI cruise and I knew nothing about the layout of the ship. Somehow we found the Viking Crown Lounge. To sit up there every day was a treat. You can see both sides of the ship. If someone sees something, they point it out and everyone there gets their cameras or binoculars and looks. It was a great way to really see the sights.

I also like the thought of a roundtrip opposed to the one way. DH lost his job of 22 years in 2009 and went from 7 weeks of vacation a year to 1. :( So we are down to 1 week vacations. We took Rhapsody out of Seattle but would cruise Alaska again if we could do a roundtrip out of Vancouver with a slightly different itinerary.

A few thoughts...

1. Return from Ketchikan is often a speed run outside Vancouver Is. where water is often rougher and less to see. But heading back to Vancouver (the city) they might go "inside".

2. September is often less rainy than other times of year. No gauranty but that's the typical pattern for that part of the West Coast.

3. At Ketchikan if you can swing it the boat ride to Misty Fjords NP and floatplane ride back is spectacular.

4. Smaller ship like that can go places large ships can't.

5. Icy Strait is a "constructed" attraction for the cruise industry - like the private islands in Caribbean but more of a joint operation with native interests. My son thought it was a big tourist trap but that could be said for a lot of Ketchikan or Juneau. Bright side is at end of season a lot of the stuff for sale at Icy Strait goes on sale in the shops.

With some of the 2013 dates being released, my DW and I are planning an Alaskan cruise for our Anniversary. The last available date that is closest to our Anniversary Sept 6th on Radiance(looks like the last one of the season). This appears to be round trip from, and to Vancouver BC. It looks like all other dates are Northbound or Southbound one way. My question is, what will we miss since it is still a 7 day cruise? Something must be excluded? I like the idea of flying out from where we flew in, but there must be some drawbacks right? Thanks!

We did a Vancouver round trip a few years ago. We also did a round trip from Seattle a few years before that. I preferred the Vancouver for a few reasons...first off, the Vancouver departure is MUCH more scenic as you start off your trip already "inside". With Seattle you will need to go out and around Vancouver Island, and the scenery doesn't begin until you get back "inside" after a full day at sea. While we aren't the type to get seasick, the seas were quite rough that day going out and around VI, and I remember overhearing several people complain they didn't feel well that whole day. It didn't bother us. All in all, I don't think you'll feel that you're missing anything. It's a spectacular trip and you will enjoy every minute! Get a balcony FOR SURE!!!!

My favorite way to do it is north to south.

You start up higher in Alaska then the round trip Seattle or Vacouver cruises.

You usually depart from Seward. I like starting up north first because the longer flight is out of the way.

We fly into Anchorage the day before. It is wonderful, just the type of city you would expect it to be. Then, the next morning, you take the Alaskan railroad. It leaves about 7:30 in the morning. It is a spectacular ride through the Denali forest. They have the glass domed cars for viewing. They also have a great dining car where we have brunch.

The train stops right at the port in Seward around 11:00am. We actually walked to the ship with our wheeled luggage but they will take it for you if you need help.

We were able to board the ship right away.

This train is NO way associated with "Denali" (there isn't any forest??)

this is a skimpy option, that can be greatly enhanced by adding days and taking advantage of the excellent touring options. At the very least, don't be in any rush to get on your ship, and take a Kenai Fjords boat tour- this is a superb varied wildlife with close up glacier viewing- that is FAR superior to anything seen from your ship.

Is the Rhapsody or Radience better for Alaska?

With all of the glass on the Radiance, you can have views of the scenery from so many different areas without being outside. Just my opinion but I think they are the most gorgeous ships anyway.:)

With all of the glass on the Radiance, you can have views of the scenery from so many different areas without being outside. Just my opinion but I think they are the most gorgeous ships anyway.:)

Thanks. I sailed on the Rhapsody once but that was about 10 or so years ago!!

Is the Rhapsody or Radience better for Alaska?

If strictly an inside route I would defnitely opt for Rhapsody. As noted above it will go into passages that larger ships can't do (depending on Captain's preferences). Lack of shipboard options (especially large pool area) is not a problem to Inside Passage and Alaska because the scenery is the attraction. But Radiance has better foul weather viewing with more window scapes.

Rhapsody has some interesting upgrades coming soon.

If strictly an inside route I would defnitely opt for Rhapsody. As noted above it will go into passages that larger ships can't do (depending on Captain's preferences). Lack of shipboard options (especially large pool area) is not a problem to Inside Passage and Alaska because the scenery is the attraction. But Radiance has better foul weather viewing with more window scapes.

Rhapsody has some interesting upgrades coming soon.

Both Rhapsody and Radiance have solariums with retractable roofs so you can swim in comfortable temperatures despite the outside weather without sacrificing the scenic views. Most of what I have read seems to indicate that the first day sailing from Seattle is a negative when comparing sailings from that port to sailings from Vancouver, but never having done it, I can't make a fair comparison.

I also don't think that the size difference between Radiance and Rhapsody is so great as to make a big difference in where the two ships can go in Alaska waters.

Radiance does offer even more glass to view the Alaska scenery but views from Rhapsody are still quite good. At the present time Radiance's upgrades might give her the edge over Rhapsody but once the planned revitalization is completed on Rhapsody, either ship should be a very good choice.:)

Thanks!

Here is the itinerary pasted from the RCCL website. Bear with me I am Clueless about Alaskan Cruises;)

06-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia 4:30 PM

07-Sep Cruising

08-Sep Icy Strait Point, Alaska 10:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered

09-Sep Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 8:00 AM 12:00 PM Cruising

10-Sep Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

11-Sep Ketchikan, Alaska 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

12-Sep Cruising

13-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia

We did this Cruise on the Infinity after a Gold service Rocky MTN rail tour from Calgary with overnight in Kamloops. it is wonderful trip. Did the Misty Fjords flight out of Ketchikan and the glacier dog sled out of Juneau.

We picked this itinerary mainly for the Radiance and also because of the RT flights. We sailed the Radiance Southbound on 8/31/2007 and the weather was gorgeous, hoping for the same only a week later. Good point about sales!

Archived