Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

I haven't seen any information indicating that there would (or would not) be a fee for the cabanas.

PDF states "A new adults-only pool is surrounded by plush private cabanas that appear to be floating on the water" and the video states "...enhanced with private cabanas"

We will need to wait and see.

Of course, if they don't charge then maybe there will be posts about "Cabana Hogs"

Princess has confirmed it, I'll see if I can find it.

Here's one reference on the Cruise Critic overview of her:

Sun Deck

A new adults-only pool will be situated near the Sanctuary, a signature Princess space (think massage cabanas, ultra-plush loungers and a lot of bathrobed cruisers) that's similarly kid-free. There will be seven private cabanas -- Princess' first foray into the world of for-fee cabanas -- sitting nearby.

Here's from an interview with Buckelew in USA Today:

Buckelew also announced the Royal Princess will have a new adults-only pool area surrounded by seven plush private cabanas that appear to be floating on the water. The private cabanas will be available for a charge, he noted.

Princess has confirmed it, I'll see if I can find it.

Here's one reference on the Cruise Critic overview of her:

Sun Deck

A new adults-only pool will be situated near the Sanctuary, a signature Princess space (think massage cabanas, ultra-plush loungers and a lot of bathrobed cruisers) that's similarly kid-free. There will be seven private cabanas -- Princess' first foray into the world of for-fee cabanas -- sitting nearby.

Here's from an interview with Buckelew in USA Today:

Buckelew also announced the Royal Princess will have a new adults-only pool area surrounded by seven plush private cabanas that appear to be floating on the water. The private cabanas will be available for a charge, he noted.

I couldn't find that information in my quick check before my post. Thanks for posting. The deck plan shows six cabanas while builder's model shows seven. If the deck plans are correct, there are apparently another 96 loungers that are under cover in the Retreat Pool area. As long as those loungers are "free" we will be happy campers in that area.

If you look at the artist rendition of the adults only pool, the pool itself is circled by these private cabanas, almost giving it the appearance of being private. They must cost a bundle to rent. I doubt they will be as much as the $250 per day that Disney gets at Blizzard Beach. It will be interesting and I'm sure there will be a huge thread over here on it. The other lounges may be free. But there is the constant reminder that you are on the outside looking in.

adultpool.JPG

I'm a little puzzled:confused: Everyone is basically saying no, I won't sail, it's terrible, etc when nobody has set one foot on the ship. I for one am looking forward to a brand new design from Princess and will hold whatever I find I don't like, till I actually sail on her and experience it first hand.....

Bob

Honestly, I can't read this garbage anymore. She's not even built and the whining is out of control. There are a lot of people who couldn't care less about a promenade deck - complete waste of space. So glad that Royal is different and not another cookie cutter Princess ship. And by the way she's selling, a lot of people agree. Must suck going through each day being so negative.

I agree. I think next year's maiden TA and Caribbean cruises have the potential of being the most amazing cruises I have ever been on.

I agree with all of you. Let's sail her and see what we think. Sure there are differences from previous Princess ships. I think that just might be the point in a new build this time and I say fabulous. If I want the tried and true ships that I like, I can book them. I'm really looking forward to something new and also think my maiden TA and the Caribbean cruise I have booked will be amazing.

I do not know if there was any customer input to those what designed the new Royal Princess, but if not, there should have been customers involved so they could give feedback from a different viewpoint.

I agree with you.

I also am not very enthused about the design because several of the venues we have always enjoyed are gone. We love sitting in Adagio for a drink before dinner. We have always enjoyed sitting up in Skywalkers on a sea day and playing scrabble in a quiet place where we could still watch the sea and sky. Explorers was one of our favorite lounges. Those are all gone. My daughter and I just got off the Crown Princess 12 day eastern Med cruise with a very different demographic from previous cruises we've done. On sea days the pool areas were packed with little hope of finding loungers, the sanctuary was full and in the evening the public areas in the atrium were wall-to-wall people. With hundreds more passengers I fear that the Royal will be similarly packed. We have done 4 fall transatlantics on the Ruby and Emerald and were fortunate to have pretty good weather which allowed all areas of the ships to be used during the day. I can't help but wonder what it might be like on the Royal transatlantic if there are rainy and windy days. The prospect of 3600 passengers milling around the public venues, even in an expanded atrium, is not an appealing one to us (just our opinion). We also noticed that the Crown Grill appears to be smaller and Sabatinis looks only slightly larger than on the Ruby. We enjoy eating at those restaurants and hope that reservations will still be easy to obtain.

I also am not very enthused about the design because several of the venues we have always enjoyed are gone. We love sitting in Adagio for a drink before dinner. We have always enjoyed sitting up in Skywalkers on a sea day and playing scrabble in a quiet place where we could still watch the sea and sky. Explorers was one of our favorite lounges. Those are all gone. My daughter and I just got off the Crown Princess 12 day eastern Med cruise with a very different demographic from previous cruises we've done. On sea days the pool areas were packed with little hope of finding loungers, the sanctuary was full and in the evening the public areas in the atrium were wall-to-wall people. With hundreds more passengers I fear that the Royal will be similarly packed. We have done 4 fall transatlantics on the Ruby and Emerald and were fortunate to have pretty good weather which allowed all areas of the ships to be used during the day. I can't help but wonder what it might be like on the Royal transatlantic if there are rainy and windy days. The prospect of 3600 passengers milling around the public venues, even in an expanded atrium, is not an appealing one to us (just our opinion). We also noticed that the Crown Grill appears to be smaller and Sabatinis looks only slightly larger than on the Ruby. We enjoy eating at those restaurants and hope that reservations will still be easy to obtain.
Does this mean you are rethinking your booking on the Royal? I know I would be if I had the above concerns.

Maybe people will enjoy the Vista Club and expanded Atrium entertainment more. I guess we'll have to wait to find out. I see they have the "dueling pianos" concept. That's gaining in popularity. The place in Boston always has lines. The ship is certainly different. For those who like the grand class, there's certainly no shortage of options. But I guess that if you want the grand med itinerary, it's the Royal or another cruise line. We'll try this one or the sister ship within four years.

Why does the design of the Royal pose such an issue for you?

On another thread which is showing pictures of the ship while under construction, one design item that appears in the pictures is that some aft corner suites have no window facing the rear and no access to any balcony on the rear.

Things such as this are of concern to people who have booked an aft corner suite expecting access to a rear view.

See post #42 at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1676509&page=2

On another thread which is showing pictures of the ship while under construction, one design item that appears in the pictures is that some aft corner suites have no window facing the rear and no access to any balcony on the rear.

Things such as this are of concern to people who have booked an aft corner suite expecting access to a rear view.

See post #42 at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1676509&page=2

She went on sale on March 15th. Builder's Model has been online since the 16th. Perhaps they should do some research into what they were buying - the design of her back end has not changed and the pictures clearly show this.

She went on sale on March 15th. Builder's Model has been online since the 16th. Perhaps they should do some research into what they were buying - the design of her back end has not changed and the pictures clearly show this.

Could be, but the point is that in many people's opinion that was a poor design decision.

Could be, but the point is that in many people's opinion that was a poor design decision.

All ships have suites with poor designs. poles in the middle of balconies, next to stinky air vents, completely open to the elements and suites above, the list goes on. Book a suite and a ship that has what you're looking for.

Ocean and Pacific leave me cold, I have zero desire to sail them because they don't offer the amenities I want on a cruise. But I don't whine about them incessantly.

Most of the aft suites were booked the day bookings opened on the 15th. It was not possible to see the model then. All of those suites were sold out w/i the first week.

Most of the aft suites were booked the day bookings opened on the 15th. It was not possible to see the model then. All of those suites were sold out w/i the first week.

Yes they were but they could have been changed the next day if it was important to have an aft view.

... one design item that appears in the pictures is that some aft corner suites have no window facing the rear and no access to any balcony on the rear.

Yes, it looks like no windows facing the rear (so far), but I cannot believe it that the balcony is not accessible.

Royal Princess Construction - June/July

It likely is because I believe the ship has a larger foot print and more outdoor space as well. In the case of this new ship, they didn't add a floor of passengers. They kept the number of floors and expanded the ship in length and width, by quite a bit.

I understand that the Marina deck is an additional deck.

They did add another deck of cabins, the Marina deck. The seating in the Princess Theater is 33% greater than on existing Grand class ships. We will need to wait to see if the pluses outweigh the minuses. The adults only area with pool just aft of the Sanctuary might be our new favorite place. There is no aft pool but there appears to be plenty of lounge chairs in the Horizon Terrace.

Oops! It looks like you responded more quickly on the Marina deck. :)

All ships have suites with poor designs. poles in the middle of balconies, next to stinky air vents, completely open to the elements and suites above, the list goes on. Book a suite and a ship that has what you're looking for.

Ocean and Pacific leave me cold, I have zero desire to sail them because they don't offer the amenities I want on a cruise. But I don't whine about them incessantly.

The little girls came into the fleet as-is -- there's as much point in criticizing them as there is in complaining that the used car you bought was white when you wanted red. On the other hand, the Royal is a brand-new design to Princess's specs, one which we can assume will be followed going forward. Thus, it is hardly whining we're engaged in, but constructive critique about the future direction of ship design. I'm sorry if you feel the expressed opinions of those who have valid concerns have no place here, but you need to realize that everyone is allowed to post about the new ship, not just people who only want to post happy talk. I should think the title of the thread would have clued you in as to the tenor of the conversation herein. Perhaps you could start a competing "The Royal is the Best Ship Ever" thread, and I will then dutifully promise not to post any comments thereon about the lack of a promenade deck and aft public space.

The little girls came into the fleet as-is -- there's as much point in criticizing them as there is in complaining that the used car you bought was white when you wanted red. On the other hand, the Royal is a brand-new design to Princess's specs, one which we can assume will be followed going forward. Thus, it is hardly whining we're engaged in, but constructive critique about the future direction of ship design. I'm sorry if you feel the expressed opinions of those who have valid concerns have no place here, but you need to realize that everyone is allowed to post about the new ship, not just people who only want to post happy talk. I should think the title of the thread would have clued you in as to the tenor of the conversation herein. Perhaps you could start a competing "The Royal is the Best Ship Ever" thread, and I will then dutifully promise not to post any comments thereon about the lack of a promenade deck and aft public space.

Amen!

While I agree with your basic comments, I think you were a little harsh on someone with a different opinion.

Bob

It's funny but I remember hearing the same thing when the uber-Grand Class came out except it was about Royal Caribbean.

Whether or not Princess' main competition is Celebrity and whether or not they are trying for a target audience different from their loyal passengers, ships that compare with those of other cruise lines' aren't necessarily a solution to competing. On the contrary it might just mean that Princess has lost it's ability to design and be innovative and have made a mirror copy in order to try to keep up.

I don't think that's the case, although some of the design team has been around since Sun Princess. But I will agree that I'm totally underwhelmed with Royal Princess. Given the opportunity to build on a new platform, Princess could have held on to the positive amenities of its older ships. Ridding the ship of them won't necessarily attract new customers and won't be favored by the old customers. The interior design looks great and I'm sure the new ship will have plenty of positive attributes, but I just think Princess could have done better.

The original Grand Class and Sapphire and Diamond might have their detractors, but you knew a Princess ship when you saw one. They were unique - starting from Royal Princess 1, Crown Princess 1 and Regal Princess, the ships had a certain design that not only was functional but that defined a Princess ship. Building a look-alike negates that creativity and uniqueness.

I'm probably not apt to run into Royal Princess for a good number of years and frankly I have no urgency to sail her. None of the new amenities yet trumps what I might find on the older ships.

PS - Princess itself says in it's marketing of Royal Princess that "Every detail or the new Royal Princess has been design to enhance the atmosphere of which our loyal passengers have grown accustomed." Just sayin'

Why the design changes on the Royal?

I was going to write a long answer, but opted for this short one:

1. Money and 2. Passenger Preferences (real or perceived)

Oops! Making Money comes from satisfying Passenger Preferences.

I disagree with your comments. I thought we all had the right to post our thoughts and not suffer for doing so?

Bob

Isn't that what rdsgrl just said?

"sorry if you feel the expressed opinions of those who have valid concerns have no place here, but you need to realize that everyone is allowed to post about the new ship, not just people who only want to post happy talk."

While I agree with your basic comments, I think you were a little harsh on someone with a different opinion.

Bob

Harsh? Perhaps you should go back and re-read some of her posts before the one I quoted. They were harsh; I was merely brusque. With my usual soupcon of snarky.

Archived