What to do with 11 and 9 year old after kids club close at 10PM?

Our daughter (now 11) often wanted to stay at the kids club well past 10pm...Carnival's was open til 2am (also for a fee past 10pm). We let her stay up that late a couple of times, if the following day was a sea day. I remember on our first Royal cruise, she spend something like 14 hours one day at the kids club...that's way more than typical, but she loved being there on that cruise for some reason. Typically, she'll go to the kids club after lunch for maybe 2-3 hours, then a couple hours after dinner.

Really? We have to put up with kids after 10 PM? How about giving us a break, after all, it's our vacation as well.

Their vacation as well. Someone could just as easily ask if they have to put up with _____ (fill in the blank with any group of people). There are many, many adult only areas that kids after 10 should not bother you if they are in fact still up and enjoying their vacation, just as you are.

OP, as others have said, AO is open at night for an hourly fee. We never had them stay after hours though. My kids really loved getting that last ice cream cone or other snack and sitting with us in one of the public areas to relate everything they had done that day and we would also use that time to go over the activities scheduled for the next day, deciding what everyone wanted to do. Cruises are such a great family vacation!

I wish this thing had a "like" button like on Facebook so I could "like" some of your posts. lol. I agree it is their vacation too and if they want to stay up late and are not crabby the next day, are being supervised, behaving and are not in any of the adult only sections of the ship then so be it. Every kid is different and some can handle staying up late and some can't. I am sure we will have days that we are tired and will hit the hay early but I was just wondering what options were available if they aren't tired. Love the idea of getting ice cream and talking about the day together. We loved DCL last year but we didn't really see our kids as much as we wanted b/c they never wanted to leave the kids clubs! Thanks to everybody who replied! 7 days from today we leave!!!!!! Yeah!!!!

Kids deserve a vacation too! There are plenty of adults-only places around the ship to enjoy "after 10" even when the children are around and need to be "tolerated" and "dealt with". I wouldn't want my mine, or anyone elses, running under my feet but I can certainly find space and peace for myself. Crusing has become a family vacation and if people are looking for adults only type of vacations, then all inclusive land vacations are more suitable. Obviously JMO

:confused: We have cruised on a couple of Disney's ships (both Magic and Dream) and the kids clubs stay open until 2 AM and my kids were still not ready to leave then!!! .

They're only 9 and 11 now and on previous cruises they were up after 2:00AM?!?!?!:eek:

Hope you and the kids have a fabulous cruise. One of our boys needs very little sleep, the other needs quite a bit more. On cruises we meet up after the kids club shuts at Sorrento's or Cafe Promenade and have pizza or something else. The older one is in the teen club and they can hang out for a bit longer there, but he still comes for pizza at 10pm to have a chat!

My kids are the same age as yours (9 and 11). They are NEVER ready for bed when we pick them up at 10pm. We usually take them to the Cafe Promenade for cookies and milk. The arcade is right outside of Adventure Ocean, sometimes we'll let them stop in there for a while. And sometimes we just walk around the ship. They aren't unsupervised so no one should have a problem with them being up and if they do......too bad!!!!:D:D

They're only 9 and 11 now and on previous cruises they were up after 2:00AM?!?!?!:eek:

YUP.... :) Wasn't everynight but on the nights they did we were not the only ones. There would be a line of other parents picking up the kids. Again... not all kids could handle it and would be crabby the next day but my kids were just fine.

Boaring Allure on the 25th and I was just wondering what is there available to do with the kids after the kids club close at 10PM? Are the pools and hot tubs still open if they don't feel like going to bed right away? Is the ice skating rink or anything else open late for us to all do together? Thanks!

Just let them run wild around the ship with the other 200 kids who are unsupervised because they are "on vacation"

Also keep in mind time changes. What is 2 am for those that live by the port, may be 3 or more hours earlier for those that fly. (of course that can work the other way too.) So, please don't judge others because you see their kids up at a time you think is wrong. For that family, they may be trying to stay on their own time zone as much as they can. In addition, they may have alternate sleep schedules from the "normal" family. Parents may do shift work or the kids are home schooled, etc. Each family has to do what works best for them.

Just let them run wild around the ship with the other 200 kids who are unsupervised because they are "on vacation"

With all due respect, 200 children running unsupervised? Seriously? Give me a break please. I have seen more adults acting like complete idiots without manners compared to any number of children. I've been pushed, "bud" in line, chair hogged etc etc. Children can be obnoxious but it's the parents who have to manage them effectively.

We always found it good to find a place and sit and talk about the day, get something to eat if they were hungry. Explore a part of the ship they had not seen yet, like library, or look at the art. But make it a wind down time so making bed time a lot easier than hyped up kids.

Now that my kids are grown and memories are all that are left, I wish I would have kept like a vacation diary and had the kids write things they liked or didn't like.

Also keep in mind time changes. What is 2 am for those that live by the port, may be 3 or more hours earlier for those that fly. (of course that can work the other way too.) So, please don't judge others because you see their kids up at a time you think is wrong. For that family, they may be trying to stay on their own time zone as much as they can. In addition, they may have alternate sleep schedules from the "normal" family. Parents may do shift work or the kids are home schooled, etc. Each family has to do what works best for them.

So true! We live in India and do a European cruise on the way home to the States for the summer. We are 4.5 hours ahead of Europe, so 1am on the boat is 8:30pm to us. Add the excitement of being on vacation and my kids (9 year old twins) are *not* ready for bed at that time. I let them stay as late as they want at AO, then watch a little tv in the cabin until they are ready to sleep.

It sounds like the OP's kids stay late in the kids club, have a little snack, quiet time with the parents, then bed. I don't see how that can be bothersome to the adult cruisers, no matter how late they stay up.

I have kids and I love them, but bed is where they belong that late. I am always amazed when I see parents dragging their kids to late night movies or dinners.

A considerate parent, well done :D

Honestly I think most people are. Bedtime seems to be the option here or indeed go back to Disney.......

Yes, another one chiming in to say that Adventure Ocean WILL be open for late night party zone til 1 am ( with a charge per child) We used this a few times when DS REALLY wanted to stay for an activity.

otherwise, mini golf will be open til 11, sports court is also open til 11. table tennis is open 24h. Late evenings are a wonderful time to take a quiet walk outside on the open decks... looking at the darkness all around ( and maybe stars). There will also be some night where there are shows ( that are appropriate for the kids)... like day 2 there is the Ocean Aria show at 10:45.

We are also on your sailing.. come join the meet and mingle roll call board....

With all due respect, 200 children running unsupervised? Seriously? Give me a break please.

I wouldn't suggest that adults can't act up at times, but, I was unexpectedly on a cruise with 1000 kids on the Voyager (I think). Many of the parents just let them run wild, and they did, all over the ship. If you haven't seen this, then, consider yourself lucky.

I wouldn't suggest that adults can't act up at times, but, I was unexpectedly on a cruise with 1000 kids on the Voyager (I think). Many of the parents just let them run wild, and they did, all over the ship. If you haven't seen this, then, consider yourself lucky.

Then shame on those parents...

Just for the record though to those "concerned" people.... 10PM cruise time will be 8 PM my time but regardless if you noticed I said in my OP "something for us to do TOGETHER". My kids will not be running around unsupervised. Even my 2 teenagers will either be with us or in the designated teen club after 10pm. If a pool is open and the younger ones want to swim (with us sitting there with them) we will swim. As long as they are behaving and not carrying on like animals I am 100% fine with it. However if they are screaming, fighting or just not being courteous to those around us then I will be the first person to take them back and put them to bed. We have 2 rooms on this ship and have paid almost 10K between my family of 6 so we will have our fun too. If you don't like it, TO DARN BAD and may I suggest you going to YOUR room for the night if you don't like what you see. It seems that many people (not most but many) don't want to be bothered with kids on board.... cruises these days are considered family vacations and again if you don't like it then may I also suggest that you DONT book a cruise that has zip lines, a ice skating rink, 2 flow riders, rock climbing walls and many other kid geared activies!!!

Just for the record though to those "concerned" people.... 10PM cruise time will be 8 PM my time but regardless if you noticed I said in my OP "something for us to do TOGETHER". My kids will not be running around unsupervised. Even my 2 teenagers will either be with us or in the designated teen club after 10pm. If a pool is open and the younger ones want to swim (with us sitting there with them) we will swim. As long as they are behaving and not carrying on like animals I am 100% fine with it. However if they are screaming, fighting or just not being courteous to those around us then I will be the first person to take them back and put them to bed. We have 2 rooms on this ship and have paid almost 10K between my family of 6 so we will have our fun too. If you don't like it, TO DARN BAD and may I suggest you going to YOUR room for the night if you don't like what you see. It seems that many people (not most but many) don't want to be bothered with kids on board.... cruises these days are considered family vacations and again if you don't like it then may I also suggest that you DONT book a cruise that has zip lines, a ice skating rink, 2 flow riders, rock climbing walls and many other kid geared activies!!!

Well said.

there is a curfew for Unsupervised children... but it sounded to me like the OP was looking for things to do WITH their children... in that case they can be out as long as they want under the supervision of their parents.

to the OP.... we also use the late night time to sit down with a snack and go over the compass for the following day to plan and highlight our activities. ( the compass for the next day will be left in your cabin in the evening after dinner)

there are always people around in different places as well as quiet areas to just sit outside and enjoy the night air. There may not be as many scheduled events or activities for the kids to participate in... but there is always something going on or something to enjoy for all ages.

I am not sure but if they do we will absolutely follow the rules but the teen club goes until 2 or 2:30 so I don't think there is. :confused:

Yes, there is a curfew, usually 1am though it has been 2am on some ships lately. The curfew is for unsupervised kids, if the kids are in a supervised event in the teen club, they can stay there until the event is over even if it goes past curfew.

And just keep in mind that we are still American and for the time being are still allowed to raise of kids as we see fit. Take anything about kids, tips (which are very important), and chair hogs with a grain of salt. they are all hot button items on CC.

I cant get my kid to sleep before 10 on a school night, much less on a FAMILY vacation. Some kids just dont need as much sleep per my Pediatrician. My oldest DD would be in bed by 8 every night even on vacation. She is 23 and still the same way. the 11 y.o. DD has NEVER needed more than 7 hours, even when she was a toddler. I on the other hand like to sleep in so if she stays up till 1 on vacation, I get to sleep in a little. Win win.

My DD stays in AO late all the time. in fact she has so much fun that I will go nap and pick her up at midnight since I cant always hang that late. They really 'sell' the late night party to the kids since it brings in $ and your kids will have a blast. We always go to Sorrentos or whatever is open for a snack before bed since it has usually been about 6 hours since dinner.

there are also some nights where they like to stay in the room and watch movies. We get them room service and get them settled and head out to dance or whatever. Oh, and swimming @ night in the pools or relaxing in the hot tub WITH PARENTAL supervision is so nice. Not crowded and helps them sleep.

Archived