Favorite Ports

Sunseeker11

I was just reading the thread about the ports that made people uneasy, what about your favorite ports?

I have only done one cruise so far and felt safe at all of the ports. San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. My least favorite was St. Lucia because I found the vendors very pushy but I never felt unafe.

I am thinking about going on Celebrity Summit in January - St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada and St. Thomas. St. Kitts and St. Thomas were my favorite ports so I would love to visit them again.

I was just reading the thread about the ports that made people uneasy, what about your favorite ports?

I have only done one cruise so far and felt safe at all of the ports. San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. My least favorite was St. Lucia because I found the vendors very pushy but I never felt unafe.

I am thinking about going on Celebrity Summit in January - St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada and St. Thomas. St. Kitts and St. Thomas were my favorite ports so I would love to visit them again.

They're all in Europe - Istanbul, Venice, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Santorini

It's hard to say there is a single favorite.

USVI is always good for me.

Also:

Canary Islands

Hawaiian Islands

Skagway

Rhoades

Kusadasai

Istanbul

Dubrovinik

Corsica

Venice

Naples

Huatulco

Aruba

Jamaica

Charleston

Key West

-Maris

For us, it was St. Lucia hands down! Sailing into port, with that spectacular verdant airport just as you turn the bend and tons of greenery. Plus Jalousie Beach and the Pitons. There's a reason that Oprah Winfrey and the beautiful Sophia Loren maintain homes there.

Guess I am outlier. I have never sailed in the Carib. It is not high on my list for a cruise. I have taken land trip to the islands.

Europe and next Central America and Mexico and for the future on to South America and back to Europe.

I love the ports where you can get right off the ship: Corsica, Sicily, Naples, Kusadusi, Marseille, Mykonos, Rhoades...

Buenos Aires was absolutely beautiful, Montevideo, Uraguay was a lovely surprise! St. Maarten is our favorite Caribbean island and in the Mediterranean it would be a tie between Venice, Dubrovnik and Santorini.

Sherri:)

We absolutely love Dominica and St Kitts with Cozumel coming in third. We didn't care for St Thomas as we found it very pricey. We also tried to tour on our own and made some bad choices. We will be back there in just over 3 weeks when we are on the Silhouette so hopefully will have a better experience.

Cherbourg. Lovely little cafes. It's so CLEAN and bright and there are flowers everywhere, even the median of the main street. The shops are so cute... even the vegetable stand is arranged like art (it's my screen saver). The people are warm and helpful.

I've never really not liked a port, since it's always the chance to see a new place. Three of the cruises I've been on have stopped in Cozumel, so I don't need to see it again. There are too many tourists like me there, so you don't really get a sense of what Mexico is like.

Places that stand out:

San Juan, Puerto Rico - DW, daughter, and I walked around Old San Juan all day. I liked the forts; they liked the shopping and we all loved the old architecture and the colourful homes and buildings. The vendors were reasonable, friendly, and not over-bearing. We didn't take any shore excursion and didn't feel the need to do so. If I ever get back there, I'd like to see parts outside San Juan, which other passengers said were great.

Roatan, Honduras - The best snorkelling I've experienced in the Caribbean. The port area was nice too and the people were friendly.

Montevideo, Uruguay - I didn't know much about it, but it's quite beautiful. My only regret is that we didn't have more time here. Try the Carnivale museum in the port area.

Puerto Montt, Chile - The area was settled by European immigrants, so the architecture looks rather Swiss, and you can buy German pastries in the local shops. It's set on a lake so it's rather idyllic. There's a craft market near the harbour. The vendors don't negotiate a lot on the prices, but they're not unbearably persistent either and the prices were reasonable. We also went to see nearby rapids (the name of which escapes me right now) which were well worth the trip.

Reaaaally Hard to pick just one..:D

Kusadasi and Istanbul, Turkey

Messina, Sicily

Belize

Marseille, France

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples, Italy

Palma de Mallorca and Valencia, Spain

Sydney, Australia (visited on a land vacation)

Kangaroo Island, Australia (also visited on a land vacation) found out it now receives cruise ships.

I like most of the cruise lovers on this site have visited alot of ports over the years. It has to be at least 60 for me. Everywhere has something special, or different that makes it worth seeing. I love the Mediterranean, and I have racked up about 40 days of cruising there.

If I had to pick one port, anywhere. It would be Portofino Italy. There is no more beautiful sea town , at least that I have visited. The neighboring towns along the coast are equally picturesque and quaint.

Archived