Suite Guests....Oasis..... Heads Up...Royal in the wrong direction

Then again, what do I know. I'm stupid. I just drove 25 miles to help my wife who locked her keys in the trunk. It wasn't until I got home I remembered door unlock is a On Star perk, which I pay for. :rolleyes:

LMAO! I would have loved to have seen yours and T's faces that night when you figured it out! :D

Though everyone conducting business with another entity is deserving of the same level of respect and customer service, the practice of providing the "best" customers with the highest possible level of customer service and perks is practiced throughout many industries. Cruising is simply no different. And when a certain perk is promised and advertised on a website, the customer should have every reason to expect that the product will be delivered as promised.

OP did not say or imply that he was "better than" because he sails in a suite. He simply expressed his opinion with regard to his recent cruising experience.

When I started cruising I was an interior stateroom girl. Now I almost always stay in suites. And I do think it's fair to expect that guest who pay more will get more. Again, this is not a concept exclusive to cruising. And my expectation is that if an amenity or perk has been promised, I will receive it. That does not make me a snob. I have seen all types of guests behaving well and behaving badly. It's really not all dependent on room type or financial status.

You're right - the type of service you mentioned certainly is practiced daily - but it's generally not at the obvious expense of others. A suite guest paying more does have more perks - they have exclusive use of concierge services, special lounges, priority check-in - none of which affect the enjoyment of the public facilities by the general population. So if someone spends more money on a suite, they're automatically allowed to interfere with others enjoyment? And your expectation that a certain perk or amenity should be received is absolutely correct - for everyone that the amenity is promised to. The non-suite guests are also promised the same entertainment, same dining options, etc. The non-suite guests also should not have to miss out on what they were promised also, at the expense of suite guests. THAT is the issue.

I completely agree that suite members should have some extra perks, but not at the expense or inconvenience of others. If there is a problem and are in need of assistance at the purser's desk, why is a suite passenger strutting up at the eleventh hour more important than the non-suite passenger who has been patiently (somewhat, anyway) for an hour in line? Special perks does not mean infringing on the rights of others. I'm not saying that only suite passengers can be rude in this manner, as I know it happens in all walks of life, every age level, and every income level. My statements are directed at the suite passengers who feel that sense of entitlement....."Well, I PAID more, so I have the right to piss off everyone else." Sorry, but that is not acceptable. For those that do not feel that way, than most of what I have posted doesn't apply.

I respectfully disagree with part of A2Mich's long description of the democratization of cruise ships.

For suite passengers there may be certain perks "advertised" outright by RCCL which they advertise as marketing in order to attract customers.

However, as a matter of common sense and discretion on the part of the staff, there are certain perks that are inherent to purchasing a suite, especially the high-end suites.

If I purchase and check into the Presidential Suite of a top New York City hotel, while I may have use of the same facilities throughout the hotel as everybody else (excepting, perhaps, if the suite is located on a key-access floor), I do not expect to wait on line at the front desk (the front desk would obviously attend to me privately), I do not expect to wait on line or have to make advance reservations at the hotel's high-end restaurant even if it is the rage of the moment of New York City and it takes months to get reservations, etc.

If I purchase the Royal Suite on an RCCL ship, I expect similar treatment. However, I also acknowledge that I do not want to offend fellow passengers and I would request these things quietly and discreetly, with the Concierge, the Guest Services Manager or the Hotel Director. I don't think I would just show up at the theatre, flash my gold card and expect to be admitted.

Nobody would purchase a Royal Suite on RCCL if they were not treated as I state above. This type of treatment is implicit to that type of purchase. However, there are two problems here. First, in order to promote and sell the high-end suites, RCCL has decided to publicize a series of "perks". Second, there are people who don't know how to take advantage of this type of top service discreetly without getting in the way of other passengers.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Again this comes down to ---- WHY? Why do you think you don't need reservations? Why do you feel that you can bump everyone at the guest desk line? Obviously, the other guests paying for their stay at the hotel are not nearly as important.....:rolleyes:

Why - my guess is that you're feeling more important because you spent more money....you spent more money - SO WHAT?

I have watched Steve post for many years now. I would never think of him as a snob or think that he believes he is entitled to or better than anyone else. It is simply, you pay more, you get more.

I agree, I have also watched Steve for many years, he is a gentleman and always helpful.

You're right - the type of service you mentioned certainly is practiced daily - but it's generally not at the obvious expense of others. A suite guest paying more does have more perks - they have exclusive use of concierge services, special lounges, priority check-in - none of which affect the enjoyment of the public facilities by the general population. So if someone spends more money on a suite, they're automatically allowed to interfere with others enjoyment? And your expectation that a certain perk or amenity should be received is absolutely correct - for everyone that the amenity is promised to. The non-suite guests are also promised the same entertainment, same dining options, etc. The non-suite guests also should not have to miss out on what they were promised also, at the expense of suite guests. THAT is the issue.

I completely agree that suite members should have some extra perks, but not at the expense or inconvenience of others. If there is a problem and are in need of assistance at the purser's desk, why is a suite passenger strutting up at the eleventh hour more important than the non-suite passenger who has been patiently (somewhat, anyway) for an hour in line? Special perks does not mean infringing on the rights of others. I'm not saying that only suite passengers can be rude in this manner, as I know it happens in all walks of life, every age level, and every income level. My statements are directed at the suite passengers who feel that sense of entitlement....."Well, I PAID more, so I have the right to piss off everyone else." Sorry, but that is not acceptable. For those that do not feel that way, than most of what I have posted doesn't apply.

You know what? I have encountered a heck of a lot more D+ that were rude than any suite guest. Just sit in the CL for a while each evening and watch the circus of entertainers. You can see that same type of entitlement right here on this board from all walks of life.I have now taken six cruises on the Oasis class and I have yet to see or hear of any issues with someone getting into a show due to this process. I have yet to read on this board that anyone making a reservation not being able to get a seat due to this process. This system spreads suite guests out over different shows. All suite guest do not go to the same show at the same time. We only went to two of the shows on our last Allure cruise.

This is a perk that was put into place by RCI for suite guests. Suite guests did not ask for it and I wold bet any amount of money that some of the same people on this thread would use it if booked in a suite. My first time on the Oasis was just after she entered service. We walked into the CL on the first day and the first thing the concierge said was hello and asked us for our Seapass cards to place the sticker. It's been that way on all of our cruises on this class ship.

Because someone started a post on this board about the change, he has been labeled a snob but what I see here is petty jealousy by some posters on this board. Steve has offered help and advice on this board and doesn't deserve what has been posted. Let RCI take away that free booze to non suite guests and see how fast some of the same posters on this thread go bonkers. Sad.

And then there are people like yourself here to raise your pom-poms every time someone posts something negative about RCI. :rolleyes:
If the complaint has merit I wouldn't respond, if it's something thats nit picking or just plain dumb I may respond......:)

So this point implies that all of us non-suite customers must make our schedules months in advance to accomodate to suite guests. It must be nice to keep us in our place. Let me guess, you want us back in our cabins at 9:00 PM also. Gate the decks and lock them. This way you don't have to be around all of us low class citizens.

Sorry, I don't have an ounce of sympathy that you have to schedule your cruise.

You paid for a suite, bigger room, Concierge service, and a CL. You did not pay to push all of the non-suite passengers out of the same shows, lounges, and other venues that we have paid for also.

Oh, puhleeeze...Down in front!

I would like to say that we are Penthouse and Royal Suite level cruisers and have been since the early 90s, and I have never seen or heard of a special suite person that would elevate themselves above another cruiser or staff member and would be ashamed to meet one.

We treat others like family and get treated as such in return. As Gunter stated, there is a level of respect shown to the highest level traveler in any median as it should be and it is discretely delivered and accepted with no fanfare, as it should be.

Yeah, ok.

I have read everyone of the posts on this thread (only because I had free time) and am amazed at the comments. First of all - I usually travel in an inside cabin so I can cruise more. I spend very little time in my room. I have met very nice suite guests and very nasty suite guests. I have also met very nice inside cabin passengers as well as very nasty inside cabin passengers. People are either nasty or nice. Whether or not they are in a suite doesn't seem to have any bearing on the human condition. What makes me the angriest is when people stiff the wait staff. I have never seen a harder working group of people. I have been on both the Oasis and the Allure and will be sailing on the Oasis again in September. One of the reasons reservations are necessary on the Oasis is because of the shear amount of show options. There are plenty of show times, but if everyone decided to go to the same show at the same time, it would be mass chaos. I was amazed at the show offerings on the Oasis class as opposed to all the other ships in the RCCL fleet. I finally made D+ status and will be receiving many of the same perks as a suite guest. What no one has mentioned is that D+ also gets priority seating at shows. The seats that are sectioned off are not only for suite guests but D+ members. The ships are so packed with exciting things to do, we found that it was next to impossible to see all the shows. Reservations are a good thing. They keep order. If you have priority seating, you still get a seat if you just show up more than 10 minutes before show time. No standing in line (now that's a perk!) I hope everyone on this thread can learn to relax and enjoy the experience. I love being a commoner. The expectations are much lower and I really love life! I also love meeting new people and have made some lifelong friendships on cruises. Smile and the whole world smiles with you!

So this point implies that all of us non-suite customers must make our schedules months in advance to accomodate to suite guests. It must be nice to keep us in our place. Let me guess, you want us back in our cabins at 9:00 PM also. Gate the decks and lock them. This way you don't have to be around all of us low class citizens.

Sorry, I don't have an ounce of sympathy that you have to schedule your cruise.

You paid for a suite, bigger room, Concierge service, and a CL. You did not pay to push all of the non-suite passengers out of the same shows, lounges, and other venues that we have paid for also.

At least SOMEBODY gets it! :) When you pay for a suite, you are paying for YOUR suite, not the whole ship, there's about 5,000+ other folks that paid for that same as you.

At least SOMEBODY gets it! :) When you pay for a suite, you are paying for YOUR suite, not the whole ship, there's about 5,000+ other folks that paid for that same as you.

And it's obvious that you don't get it. This was a perk which was offered by the cruise line for suite guests. No one asked for it. It was offered. It's no different than the perks that comes for past guests. No one on this thread has stated that they are above anyone else. It's people like you that are stating that. Again, you don't get it.:rolleyes:

And it's obvious that you don't get it. This was a perk which was offered by the cruise line for suite guests. No one asked for it. It was offered. It's no different than the perks that comes for past guests. No one on this thread has stated that they are above anyone else. It's people like you that are stating that. Again, you don't get it.:rolleyes:

I just don't give a fig about the perks, I book suites on cruises because I want to cruise in a bigger cabin with a tub, not because I want to use a silly lounge or a silly concierge or sit in a seperate silly area with reserved silly seats.;)

I can honestly say that the only perks I have ever made use of are the double points for suites, and I don't really have anything to do with that as it is done automatically. I have stepped foot in the CL exactly once, and it was quite boring as I'm not looking to get drunk for free, so why else would I go in there???:eek:

I think C & A is fairly useless and the whole status thing is a joke, as are the "perks" of the suites. If you want a bigger cabin with a tub, get a suite, that should be a person's only motivation for doing so, not the CL or the line-skipping.

People just get off on being elitist, it's nothing new. Personally, I'd rather kick it with the crew than most of the Suite Passengers.....;)

I just don't give a fig about the perks, I book suites on cruises because I want to cruise in a bigger cabin with a tub, not because I want to use a silly lounge or a silly concierge or sit in a seperate silly area with reserved silly seats.;)

I can honestly say that the only perks I have ever made use of are the double points for suites, and I don't really have anything to do with that as it is done automatically. I have stepped foot in the CL exactly once, and it was quite boring as I'm not looking to get drunk for free, so why else would I go in there???:eek:

I think C & A is fairly useless and the whole status thing is a joke, as are the "perks" of the suites. If you want a bigger cabin with a tub, get a suite, that should be a person's only motivation for doing so, not the CL or the line-skipping.

People just get off on being elitist, it's nothing new. Personally, I'd rather kick it with the crew than most of the Suite Passengers.....;)

That's all fine and good. That's YOUR decision but just because something doesn't matter to you does not mean that other people won't enjoy it. It's that plain and simple. There are perks that I do not use but it doesn't mean that others should also do without it. It just seems that the petty jealousy on this thread is ridiculous.

When you pay for a suite, you are paying for YOUR suite, not the whole ship, there's about 5,000+ other folks that paid for that same as you.

You need to go to the website-clic on the tab that says newly enhanced suite services and read what Royal says you are purchasing.

It does not say a bigger room and tub. It lists a whole bunch of things so you are very wrong.

Below is just a tidbit of what it states:

Suites offer more room, more comfort and private balconies. Guests staying in our suites enjoy a variety of perks throughout their journey. Some suites even include complimentary concierge service, priority boarding, dedicated entertainment seating, priority departure privileges, full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining and more.

I've come to expect this on CC, but I really hope I don't ever run in to some of you judgmental people. What is so hard to understand about being disappointed they took a perk away? That perk was available to everyone here should they have paid the money and booked a suite. The same way you sacrifice a sea view by booking an interior, you sacrifice a theater privilage by not booking a suite. If the perk wasn't important to you, fine. But if you are unfairly judging this op and those agreeing with him because you want to equate this to snobbery or something else stupid, you really need to look at how your overly judgmental opinions make you look. Trust me, it's far worse than snobbery. :rolleyes:

That's all fine and good. That's YOUR decision but just because something doesn't matter to you does not mean that other people won't enjoy it. It's that plain and simple. There are perks that I do not use but it doesn't mean that others should also do without it. It just seems that the petty jealousy on this thread is ridiculous.

Gordon....don't even waste your time....she is saying how she doesn't even care about the perks....and how she books suites....HOWEVER the suites she books have a JUNIOR in-front of them;)

I needed a good laugh and had to begin re-reading this thread. I especially love the comments about with suite passengers having to make reservations, how the "concierges were so busy now.....and a line out the door to the Concierge lounge." I think I'm having stomach pains from laughing! Guess some people are so used to having everything done for them - it's too difficult to pick up the phone YOURSELF! Wonder if these same people have their housekeepers wipe their butts for them, too?

While I was re-reading, even just the first few pages, I couldn't help but notice the sense of entitlement by the various offended suite buyers, and it's plainly obvious by the similar comments over and over. "I paid more, so I could be spontaneous", "I paid more, I shouldn't have to wait in line.", "I paid a lot of money, so I should be able to get into the comedy show and couldn't, so I'm going to cry to the home office, etc." Every single comment like that goes back to the same point - "I paid more, so I shouldn't be inconvenienced." - "I paid more so I shouldn't have to plan ahead like the other people did." It all comes down to "it's all about me - I want my seats now, I want this, I want that." Hate to say this, but life is full of disappointments for us working schleps who have to book the insides, outsides, and balconies - those of us who either cannot afford or refuse to pay extortion pricing for a larger room.

What these same suite passengers don't understand, or simply don't care about, is that their actions, or lack of action, can and does have a direct affect on other cruiser's enjoyment. The same "lower class" cruisers who spent their hard-earned money to enjoy the same facilities that the upper crust paid for. Quite honestly, this whole thread is a complaint about having to pick up the phone and make a 5 minute phone call! I wonder if suite guests have to call the concierge to make a phone call to room service, too....

If the "Steerage Society" is about putting people down for their preferences and being so darn judgmental, count me out. Some people. I swear. :rolleyes:

Just so you know, I'm really NOT trying to argue with you. I never once said that "every suite passenger is a snob, or stuck-up, etc." If you are taking that personally, than maybe you have a guilty conscience about something. I completely agree that there are great people in all cabin categories, and then there are some really not-so-great people, as well. I also stated before that it makes no difference to me if you choose to book a suite. If you are in a position to do so, that's wonderful for you. And no, I am not jealous of the passengers in a suite, as most of the "perks" that are so often mentioned, I would have little to no interest in. Sure, I would like to have a huge cabin, but I don't need one, because I'm always too busy that I don't spend that much time in my stateroom. The whole issue on my side has nothing to do with jealousy, whatsoever. It has to do with certain people who may let their perks "go to their heads," so to speak. As was mentioned before, why should I have to miss things that I too have paid for, because someone's "perk" allows them to overstep their fellow cruisers? Every passenger on these ships is promised uses of the dining room, specialty dining, all included dining options, use of the ice rinks, spas, pools, jacuuzis, casino, etc. None of us "steerage class" are asking to use the concierge lounge - we don't really care if you get on board the ship a half hour before us - and may or may not care if you can disembark 15 minutes before we can. Those things don't really affect the enjoyment or quality of our vacations. What does affect the enjoyment or quality of our vacations is when we can't see a show, because a suite guest can waltz up at the last second and grab the last seats - we paid for the same seats the suite guests did!

If the cutbacks on suite perks is such an issue for some, then maybe other cruise lines would be on order. Bottom line, like it or not, is that Royal Caribbean is a family-oriented cruise line, and is marketed as such. It is becoming more of a mainstream line than some others, and cutbacks are bound to happen. I agree that suite guests do spend a lot of money, but I would also wager, as mentioned by someone else, that the "steerage class" overall, brings in much more income than the relatively small number of suites on-board. RCI also cannot alienate the majority of their cruisers, as it seems like the suite guests are feeling alienated by various cutbacks. On the other side, suite guests can also be frequent cruisers, as well, and I do understand that. But if you look at the number of passengers on each ship, and break them down by cabin category, the suites are the smallest group of cabins and may only amount to 100 or so passengers per sailing - so in RCI's eyes, the non-suite categories are the majority of their revenue-that's where they're making their money from. The suites are just an added-profit bonus.

So, if you think I'm trying to argue with you, I'm not. If you're a decent, respectable suite guest, and the "sense of entitlement" doesn't fit you, than my other posts were not referring to you at all. So sorry if I offended you, but all I have heard from the suite side is how they're suffering from "perk cuts," with no regard to how this affects other people.

Just so you know, I'm really NOT trying to argue with you. I never once said that "every suite passenger is a snob, or stuck-up, etc." If you are taking that personally, than maybe you have a guilty conscience about something. I completely agree that there are great people in all cabin categories, and then there are some really not-so-great people, as well. I also stated before that it makes no difference to me if you choose to book a suite. If you are in a position to do so, that's wonderful for you. And no, I am not jealous of the passengers in a suite, as most of the "perks" that are so often mentioned, I would have little to no interest in. Sure, I would like to have a huge cabin, but I don't need one, because I'm always too busy that I don't spend that much time in my stateroom. The whole issue on my side has nothing to do with jealousy, whatsoever. It has to do with certain people who may let their perks "go to their heads," so to speak. As was mentioned before, why should I have to miss things that I too have paid for, because someone's "perk" allows them to overstep their fellow cruisers? Every passenger on these ships is promised uses of the dining room, specialty dining, all included dining options, use of the ice rinks, spas, pools, jacuuzis, casino, etc. None of us "steerage class" are asking to use the concierge lounge - we don't really care if you get on board the ship a half hour before us - and may or may not care if you can disembark 15 minutes before we can. Those things don't really affect the enjoyment or quality of our vacations. What does affect the enjoyment or quality of our vacations is when we can't see a show, because a suite guest can waltz up at the last second and grab the last seats - we paid for the same seats the suite guests did!

If the cutbacks on suite perks is such an issue for some, then maybe other cruise lines would be on order. Bottom line, like it or not, is that Royal Caribbean is a family-oriented cruise line, and is marketed as such. It is becoming more of a mainstream line than some others, and cutbacks are bound to happen. I agree that suite guests do spend a lot of money, but I would also wager, as mentioned by someone else, that the "steerage class" overall, brings in much more income than the relatively small number of suites on-board. RCI also cannot alienate the majority of their cruisers, as it seems like the suite guests are feeling alienated by various cutbacks. On the other side, suite guests can also be frequent cruisers, as well, and I do understand that. But if you look at the number of passengers on each ship, and break them down by cabin category, the suites are the smallest group of cabins and may only amount to 100 or so passengers per sailing - so in RCI's eyes, the non-suite categories are the majority of their revenue-that's where they're making their money from. The suites are just an added-profit bonus.

So, if you think I'm trying to argue with you, I'm not. If you're a decent, respectable suite guest, and the "sense of entitlement" doesn't fit you, than my other posts were not referring to you at all. So sorry if I offended you, but all I have heard from the suite side is how they're suffering from "perk cuts," with no regard to how this affects other people.

I'm sure this comment won't last long but maybe you and PheonixDawg should climb back into your clown car with your condescending attitudes and head back to your bridge to mingle with your troll brethren.:rolleyes:

Archived