Suite Guests....Oasis..... Heads Up...Royal in the wrong direction

I'm still failing to see how any of this has to do with the personalities of the guests sailing in suites. Though many of these posts continue to imply or state outright that the suite guest experience is had at the expense of other cruisers, some are failing to recognize that is the cruise line that publishes the expected perks and amenities. (At least I wasn't asked to vote...)

Though I continue to disagree with certain opinions, perhaps "God forbid RC allows their suite guests to wait in line." would be more accurate than, "God forbid suite guests wait in line."...

People do not book the suites just for the location and size. They book them for the concierge service that is provided to suite guest.

People who are debating booking a suite have this niffty little suite concierge promotion on their website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

This is what people are promised, paying for and expect to get when they book a 15-20 grand room.

Here is the line that is in question:

Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available
Now regardless of what room you have booked ~ if you were promised something in the purchase agreement and the company did not follow through you would not be thrilled either.

I did reserve my shows but that was because I wanted to fit everything in our relaxed way of doing things. If I went to the show and a staff member told me they were no longer accepting reservations to shows and I would have to stand in line and can't see a show I made reservations for due to a policy change... dang right I would be upset lol

I'm still failing to see how any of this has to do with the personalities of the guests sailing in suites. Though many of these posts continue to imply or state outright that the suite guest experience is had at the expense of other cruisers, some are failing to recognize that is the cruise line that publishes the expected perks and amenities. (At least I wasn't asked to vote...)

Though I continue to disagree with certain opinions, perhaps "God forbid RC allows their suite guests to wait in line." would be more accurate than, "God forbid suite guests wait in line."...

It has nothing to do with the personalities of the guests sailing in suites in general. It has to do with the "holier than thou" attitude that SOME of the suite guests have - the ones that flaunt their status because RCI allows it. This whole issue boils down to a few individuals complaining that now they have to make reservations and plan in advance. Well, the non-suite guests are having to plan in advance, but they're supposed to make a Clark Griswald list 2 months ahead of time, and still may not get to do what they were wanting to because someone else is allowed to decide at the eleventh hour, "oh, I think I'm going to get a seat in the sold-out show and to hell with the the others."

It's not ALL suite pax, it's only a select few, but if you re-read the first few pages of this thread, the same message comes across: "I paid a lot of money and I'm not getting my way, wah, wah, wah." Fact is, GET OVER IT.

The personality issue only has to do with suite guests is this case, because RCI allows this non-sense to happen. When the company allows it, that can go to some people's heads rather quickly. THAT is the issue. Fact is, Royal Caribbean, like it or not, is a mainstream cruiseline - it is NOT a luxury product. Celebrity is more upscale, but still is not luxury. For those seeking complete luxury and pampering, then a mainstream, family-oriented cruise line is the wrong place to be looking. That is more along the lines of Crystal, Radisson, Oceania, etc. For a mainstream cruiseline, expecting top-notch, first-class amenities is not realistic. This is a company trying to appeal to and appease the masses, and there needs to be a common middle ground. This is supposed to be single-class cruising, yet RCI is trying to create a 2 class system. If that's the case, they should sell these megaships, buy the Queen Mary 2 from Carnival Corp., and build 25 more just like it. Then the common folks would be able to enjoy what they were promised as part of their fare, without fear that a higher-up is going to take away their show seats, etc. The upper class could then have their own parts of the ship away from the commoners.

Bottom line is that RCI is to blame for creating the problem. If you're going to sell single-class cruising, then EVERYONE on board from the cheapest inside cabin to the ridiculously overpriced top of the line suite should be treated exactly equal outside of the stateroom doors. The stateroom prices should then be based solely on size, location, and interior amenities. If they are wanting to maintain a single-class cruising atmosphere (which they're going to have to to pay for all of these ships), then they need to begin treating everyone equally. If not, we're heading back for the Titanic days (without the sinking - oh wait, that's Costa's job).

The ones who never understand the other side of the story are the ones who have never been on the other side.

At least SOMEBODY gets it! :) When you pay for a suite, you are paying for YOUR suite, not the whole ship, there's about 5,000+ other folks that paid for that same as you.

You bet! Nobody begrudges suite perks. But if non suite guests make show reservations and show up to a full house because some guests were allowed in without reservations well that is not cool. When an airline oversells a flight they have to offer enough of a monetary incentive to a customer who already has a reservation to give up their reservation. Wouldn't matter if the Queen of Sheba showed up for the flight, she wouldn't get a seat unless someone was willing to give up their reservation. So why would a non suite guest on a ship expect to be ok with showing up to a show they had reserved and be told there are no seats left because suite guests without reservations took their seats? Then it is no longer a suite "perk", it is just patently unfair to the other guests.

And while suite guests are important to the cruise line on any given sailing they are certainly not MORE important than the vast majority of the other guests on any given sailing.

I sail in suites and balcony's and have sailed in ocean views. We have gotten insides for the kids on occasion. My decision to sail in any given category is based on my decision for that particular sailing. But when I sail in suites I don't expect to displace another guest from any activity.

Oh and for those who disagree and keep hollering about jealousy and class warfare, get a grip!

You bet! Nobody begrudges suite perks. But if non suite guests make show reservations and show up to a full house because some guests were allowed in without reservations well that is not cool. When an airline oversells a flight they have to offer enough of a monetary incentive to a customer who already has a reservation to give up their reservation. Wouldn't matter if the Queen of Sheba showed up for the flight, she wouldn't get a seat unless someone was willing to give up their reservation. So why would a non suite guest on a ship expect to be ok with showing up to a show they had reserved and be told there are no seats left because suite guests without reservations took their seats? Then it is no longer a suite "perk", it is just patently unfair to the other guests.

And while suite guests are important to the cruise line on any given sailing they are certainly not MORE important than the vast majority of the other guests on any given sailing.

I sail in suites and balcony's and have sailed in ocean views. We have gotten insides for the kids on occasion. My decision to sail in any given category is based on my decision for that particular sailing. But when I sail in suites I don't expect to displace another guest from any activity.

Oh and for those who disagree and keep hollering about jealousy and class warfare, get a grip!

EXACTLY - Thank you, and to the other suite guests who DO understand, as Paul Harvey would have said, ".....the rest of the story."

My take on this issue is that Oasis is just too &%$# big and carries too &%$# many passengers.

No way they could build entertainment venues big enough to accomodate all of the passengers for a given show in one night, as smaller ships do by having early/late shows in their main theaters. Result? Reservations required. Consequence? Suite pax feel like they're being taken for granted. Next consequence? Suite pax get a free pass to the shows. Unintended consequence? Every non-suite pax on the ship gets teed off that their 'reservations' are being usurped by the suite folks. And there goes the suite pax perk, teeing off THAT group.

It's a no-win for Royal, but it's their own fault. They wanted mongo ships with mongo passenger loads for the (hoped-for) mongo revenue enhancements... but there ya go, two out of three ain't bad.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

You get my vote for the brass ring of the thread.

Dear Lord, I truely miss the Sun Viking days!

I also think that these ships are ALL getting too large. Ships, when they actually were cruise ships, instead of floating Disneylands, were designed with main showrooms to hold roughly 1/2 of the passenger load. The early seating diners would go to the later show, and the late seating diners would go to the earlier show. This was never an issue, and everyone planned accordingly. I think that the whole My Time Dining concept, combined with the HUGE passenger loads of these ships have combined to create this problem. This "show reservation" system didn't exist until some naval architect and some board members thought it would be a good idea to build ships that carry over 6000 passengers. If wanting to have a ship that carries 6,000 passengers, you need to have a main showroom that can hold 3,000+ passengers at a time, and get rid of the My Time Dining. Wait, that would eliminate some space that could be used for another bar or specialty dining venue, so scratch that idea. They created this problem by building a ship that has too high of a capacity, creating theater areas that are not large enough, and pushing the My Time Dining option. While I think the MTD is a great idea, the cruise staff has no way to control when people are eating dinner, which therefore makes it difficult to control crowd capacity at a particular venue. Maybe the shows need to be shown 3 times a night? That may be their best option.....

EXACTLY - Thank you, and to the other suite guests who DO understand, as Paul Harvey would have said, ".....the rest of the story."

But what about the non suite guest who DO understand?

Its one of those walk a mile in my shoes catch 22

RC promotes the ever living daylights out of suite guest getting their priority seats without having to reserve them. They advertise this as a bonus to the room. I just upgraded to a suite and was on the phone with them today. No less then 4 times did the person repeat to me that my family will have reserved seats in the VIP seating area that this seating is a part of my package.

That is the boat some suite people found themselves in. Its false advertising plain and simple.

Gordon....don't even waste your time....she is saying how she doesn't even care about the perks....and how she books suites....HOWEVER the suites she books have a JUNIOR in-front of them;)

Wow, talk about a condescending, elitist statement!!! She said she had access to the CL on at least one of her sailings, only because of her stateroom classification, not due to status. So you are not only wrong in your slam against her but you are a bully as well. My understanding is that you are a TA. I hope you treat your clients better than you do your fellow cruisers.

But what about the non suite guest who DO understand?

Its one of those walk a mile in my shoes catch 22

RC promotes the ever living daylights out of suite guest getting their priority seats without having to reserve them. They advertise this as a bonus to the room. I just upgraded to a suite and was on the phone with them today. No less then 4 times did the person repeat to me that my family will have reserved seats in the VIP seating area that this seating is a part of my package.

That is the boat some suite people found themselves in. Its false advertising plain and simple.

I feel bad that you were mislead by Royal Caribbean. But they do this type of thing all the time. They sell you on something then take it away without notifying you first. Just ask all the Diamond C & A members who got booted out of the CL a few years ago and were never notified about it. Many found out about it on CC. Some were notified by the cruise line but many were not. It is the way Royal plays their game. And in the end....it is THEIR game. You only play if you want to, you do have free will to choose another cruise line or another type of vacation.

I feel bad that you were mislead by Royal Caribbean. But they do this type of thing all the time. They sell you on something then take it away without notifying you first. Just ask all the Diamond C & A members who got booted out of the CL a few years ago and were never notified about it. Many found out about it on CC. Some were notified by the cruise line but many were not. It is the way Royal plays their game. And in the end....it is THEIR game. You only play if you want to, you do have free will to choose another cruise line or another type of vacation.

Luckily I had already made reservations when we had the 2 balcony rooms .. ya know when I was a commoner :p

I just see so many people pointing the finger at the suite guest and its not their fault. They are not trying to be snobs or elitist ... they just expected to get what was bought and paid for like any other person on a cruise.

It really does come down to RC and how they promote something as a selling point and then take it away without notifying anyone.

Now me and all my royalty self will be having my $39.99 formal dress pressed by my suite attendant before going to dinner :p

(plays tune of the Beverly Hillbillies in the background)

Luckily I had already made reservations when we had the 2 balcony rooms .. ya know when I was a commoner :p

I just see so many people pointing the finger at the suite guest and its not their fault. They are not trying to be snobs or elitist ... they just expected to get what was bought and paid for like any other person on a cruise.

It really does come down to RC and how they promote something as a selling point and then take it away without notifying anyone.

Now me and all my royalty self will be having my $39.99 formal dress pressed by my suite attendant before going to dinner :p

Love it! Hahaha! Enjoy your cruise on the Allure. We are sailing Oasis in June.

You are absolutely correct, but I think you may have missed something. The issue is not directed at every suite guest whatsoever, just towards the self-righteous elitist ones. Like I said in one of my last posts, RCI is highly at fault. With the gargantuan pax load, undersized venues, and the whole MTD, they should NEVER have told anyone that they would get priority anything. But, in order for suite guests to feel they are getting more for their money, they have to promise something - sounds like this one is creating some problems.

I'm sorry, A2Mich. You're wrong again. RCCL doesn't sell a 1-class ship. It sells a 2-class ship, just as does most every mainstream cruiseline nowadays, and just as most of the airlines sell a 2-class or 3-class plane.

Other cruiselines (NCL, MSC, etc.) have a ship within a ship concept for their suite passengers. While RCCL doesn't go that far (although it comes close on Oasis/Allure due to the location of many high-end suites), it does promote this other class of sailing by offering a larger room along with several amenities it has chosen to offer. Some of these amenities are announced and advertised by RCCL, other high-end suite services are offered by RCCL quietly and are nothing more than a matter of common sense.

According to your way of thinking, if I purchase a first-class airline ticket from New York to Singapore, all I get is a bigger seat -- and not enhanced meals, priority check-in, lounge access, walking on and off the plane before other passengers, etc. (even my own private terminal and being personally driven to the door of the plane on some airlines such as Lufthansa and Emirates).

Those are the amenities the airlines choose to offer, just like RCCL as a business chooses to offer certain amenities to its suite passengers.

The world is not a one-class system, nor is a cruiseship. The democratization comes into play in that in the 21st century, many hardworking people can now afford to freely choose between one class or the another without regard to what in the past may have been perceived as reserved to a certain social status, and are not looked down on (or bowed down to) depending on which class they have chosen, unlike in past generations where first class and suites were only within the reach of what was then perceived as the "elite".

If you're seeking a one-class system in the world, perhaps try a kibbutz or Cuba.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I'm sorry, A2Mich. You're wrong again. RCCL doesn't sell a 1-class ship. It sells a 2-class ship, just as does most every mainstream cruiseline nowadays, and just as most of the airlines sell a 2-class or 3-class plane.

Other cruiselines (NCL, MSC, etc.) have a ship within a ship concept for their suite passengers. While RCCL doesn't go that far (although it comes close on Oasis/Allure due to the location of many high-end suites), it does promote this other class of sailing by offering a larger room along with several amenities it has chosen to offer. Some of these amenities are announced and advertised by RCCL, other high-end suite services are offered by RCCL quietly and are nothing more than a matter of common sense.

According to your way of thinking, if I purchase a first-class airline ticket from New York to Singapore, all I get is a bigger seat -- and not enhanced meals, priority check-in, lounge access, walking on and off the plane before other

passengers, etc. (even my own private terminal and being personally driven to the door of the plane on some airlines such as Lufthansa and Emirates).

Those are the amenities the airlines choose to offer, just like RCCL as a business chooses to offer certain amenities to its suite passengers.

The world is not a one-class system, nor is a cruiseship. The democratization

comes into play in that in the 21st century, many hardworking people can now afford to freely choose between one class or the another without regard to what in the past may have been perceived as reserved to a certain social status, and are not looked down on (or bowed down to) depending on which class they have chosen, unlike in past generations where first class and suites were only within the reach of what was then perceived as the "elite".

If you're seeking a one-class system in the world, perhaps try a kibbutz or Cuba.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Kind Regards but I didn't even read your whole post because it seemed like alot of blah, blah, blah, from a pompous poster with a high post count....ie...Someone with a lot of time on their hands...hahaha!

If you think Royal Caribbean is anything but a mass market, middle of the road cruise line, even in a suite, then you need to look around. Get off your high horse. You are cruising with the masses on RCI and a suite only gets you more space and a few superfluous perks. Only in your mind are you sailing in an upper class cruise line. What a joke!

According to your way of thinking, if I purchase a first-class airline ticket from New York to Singapore, all I get is a bigger seat -- and not enhanced meals, priority check-in, lounge access, walking on and off the plane before other passengers, etc. (even my own private terminal and being personally driven to the door of the plane on some airlines such as Lufthansa and Emirates).

The world is not a one-class system, nor is a cruiseship. The democratization comes into play in that in the 21st century, many hardworking people can now afford to freely choose between one class or the another without regard to what in the past may have been perceived as reserved to a certain social status, and are not looked down on (or bowed down to) depending on which class they have chosen, unlike in past generations where first class and suites were only within the reach of what was then perceived as the "elite".

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Give this man a hand! You said it very well!

I am by far not any shape or form of "elite". I am a stay at home mom, I clean toilets, wash everyone's dirty laundry, cook, mend the sick, beat the misbehaving and in general am the CEO and gutter cleaner of my own corporation :D

We had a little extra money in the savings and decided when we die we can't take it with us so lets blow some of it on a nice suite :D

I lead a pretty boring life of playing taxi and mom. I wanted to treat myself to something special. Besides the only way mama can really rest on a vacation is if there is concierge :p

For my family this trip is by far the most expensive we have ever taken. We usually are pretty frugal. Due to this I do look closely at the concierge/suite amenities provided so I can make sure we get our moneys worth. Maybe money's worth is not the phrase I want ... I want to make sure our extremely expensive Owner's suite gives us what we paid for it lol

I suspect there are WAYYYYYYYYYY more me's out there then snobs.

The snobs sail Crystal :p

Just so you know, I'm really NOT trying to argue with you. I never once said that "every suite passenger is a snob, or stuck-up, etc." If you are taking that personally, than maybe you have a guilty conscience about something. I completely agree that there are great people in all cabin categories, and then there are some really not-so-great people, as well. I also stated before that it makes no difference to me if you choose to book a suite. If you are in a position to do so, that's wonderful for you. And no, I am not jealous of the passengers in a suite, as most of the "perks" that are so often mentioned, I would have little to no interest in. Sure, I would like to have a huge cabin, but I don't need one, because I'm always too busy that I don't spend that much time in my stateroom. The whole issue on my side has nothing to do with jealousy, whatsoever. It has to do with certain people who may let their perks "go to their heads," so to speak. As was mentioned before, why should I have to miss things that I too have paid for, because someone's "perk" allows them to overstep their fellow cruisers? Every passenger on these ships is promised uses of the dining room, specialty dining, all included dining options, use of the ice rinks, spas, pools, jacuuzis, casino, etc. None of us "steerage class" are asking to use the concierge lounge - we don't really care if you get on board the ship a half hour before us - and may or may not care if you can disembark 15 minutes before we can. Those things don't really affect the enjoyment or quality of our vacations. What does affect the enjoyment or quality of our vacations is when we can't see a show, because a suite guest can waltz up at the last second and grab the last seats - we paid for the same seats the suite guests did!

If the cutbacks on suite perks is such an issue for some, then maybe other cruise lines would be on order. Bottom line, like it or not, is that Royal Caribbean is a family-oriented cruise line, and is marketed as such. It is becoming more of a mainstream line than some others, and cutbacks are bound to happen. I agree that suite guests do spend a lot of money, but I would also wager, as mentioned by someone else, that the "steerage class" overall, brings in much more income than the relatively small number of suites on-board. RCI also cannot alienate the majority of their cruisers, as it seems like the suite guests are feeling alienated by various cutbacks. On the other side, suite guests can also be frequent cruisers, as well, and I do understand that. But if you look at the number of passengers on each ship, and break them down by cabin category, the suites are the smallest group of cabins and may only amount to 100 or so passengers per sailing - so in RCI's eyes, the non-suite categories are the majority of their revenue-that's where they're making their money from. The suites are just an added-profit bonus.

So, if you think I'm trying to argue with you, I'm not. If you're a decent, respectable suite guest, and the "sense of entitlement" doesn't fit you, than my other posts were not referring to you at all. So sorry if I offended you, but all I have heard from the suite side is how they're suffering from "perk cuts," with no regard to how this affects other people.

Let me ask you a question. How have you personally been affected by the suite perks? How many shows on the Allure or Oasis have you NOT been able to enter due to suite perks? My guess is none. The bottom line is that the cruise lines offer different perks to cruisers. Some are for suite guests and some are for frequent cruisers. No difference at all and as a matter of fact, it has been posted right here on Cruise Critic that some D+ not staying in suites have been given the same perk of not having to make reservations. Does that make those people snobs? If you or anyone else chooses not to enjoy some or all of those perks then that is your right but for you to sit here and pass judgement is just ridiculous but I guess it makes you feel better to do so then go ahead.:rolleyes:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunther, you hit the nail on the head but some still won't get it. You made it too easy to understand. :)

Wow, talk about a condescending, elitist statement!!! She said she had access to the CL on at least one of her sailings, only because of her stateroom classification, not due to status. So you are not only wrong in your slam against her but you are a bully as well. My understanding is that you are a TA. I hope you treat your clients better than you do your fellow cruisers.

I suggest you do some research ....look her last review...believe it was from Freedom...she was in a Junior Suite ...she booked a cabana to get access to the PRIVATE "suite beach" at Labadee...once aboard she was contacted by the concierge who told her that they made a mistake and shouldn't have given her the cabana and needed it back for a "true suite" guest....she described her verbal response to the concierge quite well in the review....she also refused to give it back. So don't kid yourself....she has a grudge going and if perks meant nothing why was she contacting the concierge and reserving a PRIVATE cabana in the first place at a PRIVATE section of beach at Labadee.....thought perks meant NOTHING to her and she rather....how did she put it "rather kick it with the crew than most of the Suite Passengers" :rolleyes:

I'm having a really hard time understanding why some people have such a problem with this complaint. RCI says that if you book a suite, your show reservations are (basically) already made for you and there is a section in the theaters of reserved seats. It's an additional service provided when paying for a suite. But the suite guests still have to enter with all the other people getting their Sea Passes scanned. In no way are they depriving seats from those with reservations.

Let me ask you a question. How have you personally been affected by the suite perks? How many shows on the Allure or Oasis have you NOT been able to enter due to suite perks? My guess is none. The bottom line is that the cruise lines offer different perks to cruisers. Some are for suite guests and some are for frequent cruisers. No difference at all and as a matter of fact, it has been posted right here on Cruise Critic that some D+ not staying in suites have been given the same perk of not having to make reservations. Does that make those people snobs? If you or anyone else chooses not to enjoy some or all of those perks then that is your right but for you to sit here and pass judgement is just ridiculous but I guess it makes you feel better to do so then go ahead.:rolleyes:

Snob here checking in. I had to actually google "How to use a bidet" this morning to convince my son that our room will not have 2 side by side toilets so you can pee and poo at the same time :rolleyes:

If that's not elitist snobbery I don't know what is :p

Our poor suite attendant ... he is going to need a vacation after we get off the ship HA-HA

I've come to expect this on CC, but I really hope I don't ever run in to some of you judgmental people. What is so hard to understand about being disappointed they took a perk away? That perk was available to everyone here should they have paid the money and booked a suite. The same way you sacrifice a sea view by booking an interior, you sacrifice a theater privilage by not booking a suite. If the perk wasn't important to you, fine. But if you are unfairly judging this op and those agreeing with him because you want to equate this to snobbery or something else stupid, you really need to look at how your overly judgmental opinions make you look. Trust me, it's far worse than snobbery. :rolleyes:

Do you really think people should sacrifice seeing a show because they did not book a suite? I have not read anything on RCI's website that warns people who don't book suites that they may end up finding themselves shut out of shows even if they go through the process of making reservations. All I have read is that people may not be able to get in going standby.

People do not book the suites just for the location and size. They book them for the concierge service that is provided to suite guest.

People who are debating booking a suite have this niffty little suite concierge promotion on their website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

This is what people are promised, paying for and expect to get when they book a 15-20 grand room.

Here is the line that is in question:

Now regardless of what room you have booked ~ if you were promised something in the purchase agreement and the company did not follow through you would not be thrilled either.

I did reserve my shows but that was because I wanted to fit everything in our relaxed way of doing things. If I went to the show and a staff member told me they were no longer accepting reservations to shows and I would have to stand in line and can't see a show I made reservations for due to a policy change... dang right I would be upset lol

What you have posted says that there are reserved seats for suite guests. That is still true. Where does it say that once those seats are gone that suite guests get first crack at all of the other seats too? I have no big fight in this battle. I am just trying to understand where it is that something was promised that is now not being delivered on. I have read the area on RCI's website that you provided a link to. I'm just not seeing this connection.

Do you really think people should sacrifice seeing a show because they did not book a suite? I have not read anything on RCI's website that warns people who don't book suites that they may end up finding themselves shut out of shows even if they go through the process of making reservations. All I have read is that people may not be able to get in going standby.

You misunderstood my post. What i meant was, by not booking a suite, you are sacrificing the perk of not having to make reservations.

Archived