Why so much wasted paper on cruises?

LaShelle2

Don't you agree by now they should have come up with some kind of alternative to wasting ALL that paper from the ads they put in your cabin each day? Even the Compass does not change all that much from cruise to cruise? And, let's not mention all the wasted photo paper.

I am by no means a tree hugger, but can't they present tthis info to you electronically somehow, or at least just change the dates on the flyers?

There just has to be a better way?

Don't you agree by now they should have come up with some kind of alternative to wasting ALL that paper from the ads they put in your cabin each day? Even the Compass does not change all that much from cruise to cruise? And, let's not mention all the wasted photo paper.

I am by no means a tree hugger, but can't they present tthis info to you electronically somehow, or at least just change the dates on the flyers?

And then you should carry your laptop around or something? :rolleyes:

Ships are being upgraded with touchscreens in publica areas that have all the info you could want, but it's so easy to carry the Compass around with you.

And in answer to your question, no I don't think it's a waste of paper. I get a lot more junk mail at home than is ever used onboard.

I don´t care. I´d rather have them not find another way, the paper ads I can easily throw away, who knows how annoying their " other way" is.

I don't see what would be annoying about opening up limited WiFi access to allow folks to see the Compass electronically on their smart phones, tablets, or laptops.

That gets me the information I want when I want it without creating any waste and at a minimal cost to the company.

I would LOVE to see the compasses in an e-format that I could download to my 7-inch tablet. I carry the tablet with me anyways since it has my e-readers and games on it so that it would make it oh so convenient to be able to see the Cruise Compass on it as well. :)

Quote:I don't see what would be annoying about opening up limited WiFi access to allow folks to see the Compass electronically on their smart phones, tablets, or laptops.

I don't have any of that stuff not to mention all the resources that are consumed in the manufacture and (non-recylable) disposal of same.

I was thinking about that on our last Liberty cruise. Such a shame to print all those photos and a lot of people don't even purchase them. A bank of photo kiosks would be great. It would be easier to locate photos, and there would be less waste. They had a couple on the Liberty and they worked fine.

All gray and black water is treated and purified back to clean and pumped back into the ocean. Waste is dried and incinerated and taken off the ship at the home port. Glass and aluminum is crushed so that it can be recycled. Paper from photographs not purchased and cruise compass paper is most likely recycled as well.

Youtube videos:

Save the Waves: Committed to Preserving Our Oceans

I don't have any of that stuff not to mention all the resources that are consumed in the manufacture and (non-recylable) disposal of same.

No to put too fine a point on it, but they have to plan for the future and not for folks like you. Like it or not mobile data accessibility is what people expect.

I was thinking about that on our last Liberty cruise. Such a shame to print all those photos and a lot of people don't even purchase them. A bank of photo kiosks would be great. It would be easier to locate photos, and there would be less waste. They had a couple on the Liberty and they worked fine.

Printing the photographs is a sales technique. People are more willing to buy something they can hold with their hands. A while ago there was talk about recycling the photo paper and rinsing the ink off and reusing the paper. I'm not sure exactly how that works.

I don't know about all the other stuff, but DH and I love the Compass and its format. If they want to add electronic access, that would be fine, but we always enjoy returning to our cabin and seeing the new compass awaiting us. That said, the photo kiosks are great: no searching through thousands of other people's pictures to find your own.

I will also add my vote to the wasted paper. You could just put the compass on the TV. I quickly throw the other paper in the trash from the Art auctions and ect. I don't even give the pictures a second glance, but then neither do I allow the to take any.

There will probably always be a paper Cruise Compass. Maybe in the future you could "opt out" from receiving it? On newer ships (not sure about older) the Cruise Compass is already displayed on a certain channel on your stateroom tv.

I do like the Compasses being paper. We do carry ours around and keep notes and track activities.

What I don't understand is the photo paper. I would be interested to know why they don't come up with a system like the Disney Photo Pass. They could scan your card, take a picture or 2, then put them online. You could view them on a kiosk onboard, or as Disney does, give you a few weeks to view them at home. I believe they would make more money that way. People would not have to waste their time going through all of the photos looking for only their own. You could take your time and order them later. With the new flat screens on board, you could probably look at them there also. No wasted time, no wasted paper.

We used the Photo Pass system last December and loved the ease of use. We ordered several pictures. JMHO

I don't see what would be annoying about opening up limited WiFi access to allow folks to see the Compass electronically on their smart phones, tablets, or laptops.

That gets me the information I want when I want it without creating any waste and at a minimal cost to the company.

Well my remark about annoying was mostly towards the advertisements.

I love electronics and when travelling I have at least my phone, ipad and a netbook with me. I read ebooks and still the compass I would rate as highly inconvenient if only provided electronically.

I´m quite sure though at some point it will go eletronically and while it´s one of the few things I will not like electronically I will survive;)

Oh btw as for the paper for pics, it´s not wasted. They re-use the paper for the next prints by washing off the colour.

I'll agree with you about the photo paper; that and the inks used to print them is a huge loss...just dumped, or maybe recycled- but lets face it "reduce" is the first of the 3 Rs. I thought when Oasis and Allure introduced the kiosks, this would help, but no, they still print photos and put them in a folio.:eek: I know they probably worry that without the actual photo in people's hands they won't make the sale, but I think in our digital world that has changed. People could go up to the kiosk " say, hey that's a great one" and order it to be printed in a size that works for them. In my case it actually decreases their opportunities for a sale because I refuse to pose at all their little " photo stops" knowing they will print and I will pitch most if not all of the photos. If they did it digitally, I probably would not mind posing and would look at the kiosk every night and maybe end up ordering a few.

As for the Compass, I disagree. It changes in small enough ways that it would be a real hassle to publish the "changes" and then have to remember them? :confused:

Offering the option of a paperless compass ( you'll only get it on your tv) is a good idea for people who wish to opt out of paper, then you could have the day or evening activities 1/2 page available around the ship for people who opt out but want to carry one around in the evening to follow what's going on.

I know the electronic age is here to stay, no problem. However, I don't take my lap-top on vacation, I turn my phone off when we sail and don't turn it back on until the morning of disembarkation and I don't own an i-pad or kindle and don't plan to purchase either.

I like the printed compass. What they should do is have a separate trash can for recycling in each cabin.

Rhapsody of the Seas is in dry dock right now for refurb (a few ships have been done already) and is suppossed to be getting iPads:

COMING SOON

iPads in every stateroom that will allow guests to access the daily Cruise Compass of events and activities; personal daily itineraries, including shore excursions; monitor their onboard account; order room service; view restaurant menus; access the Internet; and watch movies

There are few articles online about the refurb and what the ship is getting. The question is will they still be printing the same amount of Cruise Compass brocures after.

I know the electronic age is here to stay, no problem. However, I don't take my lap-top on vacation, I turn my phone off when we sail and don't turn it back on until the morning of disembarkation and I don't own an i-pad or kindle and don't plan to purchase either.

I like the printed compass. What they should do is have a separate trash can for recycling in each cabin.

All trash gets sorted and recycled or incinerated depending on what it is. No reason to put separate cans in the rooms.

I personally think they should keep the Compass/newsletters in print. While many of us may be wanting everything electronically, not everyone has an iPad, laptop, smartphone, or even a cell phone. My mother doesn't own a cell phone. My MIL and FIL have a basic cell phone, but can barely work that. So, not everyone would benefit from being electronic. I actually like being able to fold up the daily newsletter and carry it in my pocket - it's so simple to just pull it out and refer to it at a moment's notice. I do agree about the photo paper, and the countless advertisements, though.

Efficiency opportunties abound, its about having a champion in the company, but resistance to change is always high.

1) Electronic, on the TV screen that is in every room

2) Posted at the elevators..

Lots of ways, now whether a company moves against the good idea is something seperate.

Archived