Why so much wasted paper on cruises?

LaShelle2

No to put too fine a point on it, but they have to plan for the future and not for folks like you. Like it or not mobile data accessibility is what people expect.

When I'm on a cruise "mobile data accessibility" means pulling the cruise compass out of my back pocket to read where ever I may have happened to move to.;)

I don't see what would be annoying about opening up limited WiFi access to allow folks to see the Compass electronically on their smart phones, tablets, or laptops.

That gets me the information I want when I want it without creating any waste and at a minimal cost to the company.

Cause some of us do not have smart phones, tablets, and laptops. And some of us, who do have them, do not bring them on the cruise. It is vacation, after all.

I do like the Compasses being paper. We do carry ours around and keep notes and track activities.

What I don't understand is the photo paper. I would be interested to know why they don't come up with a system like the Disney Photo Pass. They could scan your card, take a picture or 2, then put them online. You could view them on a kiosk onboard, or as Disney does, give you a few weeks to view them at home. I believe they would make more money that way. People would not have to waste their time going through all of the photos looking for only their own. You could take your time and order them later. With the new flat screens on board, you could probably look at them there also. No wasted time, no wasted paper.

We used the Photo Pass system last December and loved the ease of use. We ordered several pictures. JMHO

This is done on the Oasis. They do take some photo and print them - like someone stated, it is easier to sell something you can hold in your hand. However, all of the photo's taken of are not printed; they are on a kiosk and and can be uploaded via your sea pass card. One can order prints in the size requested.

I believe they print all the photos because they sell more that way. When someone gets a photo in their hand they're more likely to buy it. When you just see it on a screen it's more easy to pass on the picture.

I agree that it's a waste, but I'm sure they sell a lot more photos because they print them up.

Quote:I don't see what would be annoying about opening up limited WiFi access to allow folks to see the Compass electronically on their smart phones, tablets, or laptops.

I don't have any of that stuff not to mention all the resources that are consumed in the manufacture and (non-recylable) disposal of same.

What if they had info kiosks? Or gave you a tablet when you check in, like the buzzer at restaurants? Or you can pull it up on tv like you do at the nicer hotels.

Or, even if they do keep the paper compass, scrap all the junk you get advertizing for Diamonds International and all those places nobody really shops at anyway. And the spa ads... There is like a whole book of JUNK left in the cabin sometimes 2x a day.

Cant they put the ads for those stores in a central spot like near the pursars desk where you have the option to pick one up if you would like one. If you don't want one, then it's not wasted paper.

Lots of people don't have access to internet on the ship

I don't want to sit in my cabin and look at the Compass on the TV. I like taking it to the pool with me and out to the beach. Would be very disappointed if they quit printing out the Compass. i don't care so much about the ads in there, but I want the paper compass that tell me everything going on during the day and night.

I agree, it would save paper to put the pictures on video or something instead of printing them as we rarely take them other than on 7 nighers.

I like the paper compasses as I don't bring/turn on a lot of technology on board but I would LOVE to see electronic viewing of photos to purchase! I hate to see all that photo paper wasted....and it must keep the cost high. If they didn't use all that paper/printing it would be cheaper, right?

I suspect that the ads for the art auction and spa are supplied by the contractors to be inserted rather than the cruise line printing them. So it's no money out of the cruise line's pockets and, of course, they benefit from a cut from the sales. I'm not sure who inserts them, though. The room steward? If that is the case, his "pay" would be paid via his tips.

We were just on the Magic and availed ourselves of the photo kiosks for the very few pictures that were taken of us. Like the OP, we wave the photographer off when we can. However, there was one picture in our folder that was not me. Husband said the facial recognition probably picked up my "flat" nose. However, the young lady in the picture was brown and I am Caucasian. So much for the accuracy of the facial recognition (lol).

It was a good picture of her, I hope it was posted in her folder, too.

I don't see what would be annoying about opening up limited WiFi access to allow folks to see the Compass electronically on their smart phones, tablets, or laptops.

That gets me the information I want when I want it without creating any waste and at a minimal cost to the company.

are they gonna provide us with a smart phone, tablet, or laptop in our cabin since alot of people don't have or bring along any of the three on our cruise.

I don't know about all the other stuff, but DH and I love the Compass and its format. If they want to add electronic access, that would be fine, but we always enjoy returning to our cabin and seeing the new compass awaiting us. That said, the photo kiosks are great: no searching through thousands of other people's pictures to find your own.

When I'm on a cruise "mobile data accessibility" means pulling the cruise compass out of my back pocket to read where ever I may have happened to move to.;)

We too love getting our daily compass and seeing what's on the next day.

Besides, how would I use the highlighter to mark what I'm interested in, on the screen on my ipad?:confused: Plus it would be really annoying the next day when I'm trying to read a book on it! :rolleyes:

Please keep them paper!

Photo's I agree, maybe if they didn't print every bloomin one they could bring their price down and maybe we would buy more than one! But I've been saying that for yonks!

Exactly! My phone stays in the safe when I am aboard. No, "mobile data accessibility" is not what I expect on a cruise ship.

On vacation, my phone (iPhone) gets shut down. I don't want emails, don't want texts, don't need facebook, because I am away from all of that. The ship recycles, and I want the paper. However, I really don't even look at the pictures. I have my own camera, and it's so much cheaper. As long as they recycle, than it's a non-issue for me

One more person here who wants nothing to do with carrying around an electronic device. No way. A SeaPass card and folded up Compass is all I want in my pocket. They are light enough to not even feel them. It's bad enough brain-dead zombies are already walking around everywhere, and even moronically driving with their faces buried in their smart phones.

On vacation, my phone (iPhone) gets shut down. I don't want emails, don't want texts, don't need facebook, because I am away from all of that. The ship recycles, and I want the paper. As long as they recycle, than it's a non-issue for me

I agree, we enjoy the printed Compass.

###

Howdy,

I like to have the printed daily schedule in my pocket.

You know, that small piece on the end of all the Spa ads

that is perforated to rip off and carry around!

That is the only printed piece I need.

The 3 pages of Ads are the problem.

BTW, I have been in the printing business

since the flood and have bought enough

'dead trees' to build a nice beach cabana

for everyone who has every cruised the

Caribbean....trust me...when enough advertisers

pay to load 'Flash' Ads on your Kindles....all the

trees will live happily ever after.

:cool::cool:

LMAO!

As an IT guy, I can tell you I dread using computers or mobile devices when I'm on vacation. It's a job and I try not to bring it with me. I do bring my iPad to keep in touch with work by email but it stays in the safe most of the time and is checked once a day. Picking up the Compass and reading it beats the heck out of checking it on the TV or some other electronic device. We cruised Freedom in January and our TV couldn't even get the menu for three days. I agree you should be able to opt out but keep the paper coming as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, they already do on Splendour

Wait, wait wait-explain this to the person who still owns a 'dumb phone' and my computer will only work, attatched to the wall of the house....

I get a phone or one of these laptop tablet thingies to carry around with me on the cruise:confused:

Wait, wait wait-explain this to the person who still owns a 'dumb phone' and my computer will only work, attatched to the wall of the house....

I get a phone or one of these laptop tablet thingies to carry around with me on the cruise:confused:

On Splendour of the Seas, all the rooms have I-Pads. However, I have not heard they can be carried all over the ship. As far as I know, they stay in the rooms.

On Splendour of the Seas, all the rooms have I-Pads. However, I have not heard they can be carried all over the ship. As far as I know, they stay in the rooms.

Thanks. so kinda defeats the purpose of leaving one event and being able to whip that piece of paper out of your back pocket to head to destination number two!!!;)

I'm constantly checking the paper compass outside my cabin!

I agree with using photo kiosks. It's less wasteful and more efficient than printing thousands of photos, only to have them go to waste when people don't want to buy them. (And you can't blame them for it, with the prices cruise lines charge and the proliferation of digital cameras.) Just set it up like an airport kiosk, where the passenger swipes his/her card and views photos in either gallery view or individual view. The screen can be made reflective or tinted like car windows, to prevent people from taking kiosk photos with their own cameras.

I do not agree with delivering daily newsletters electronically. I work with computers day in and day out, so the last thing I need on my vacation is a reminder of work. I know it sounds weird coming from someone who works in IT, but the key word is "work". Reading a tablet or a smartphone (or worse, a full-fledged laptop) over breakfast is nowhere near as relaxing as reading a paper newsletter, especially when you're having strong coffee and a greasy breakfast burrito, to counteract the effects of partying it up the night before :). And hey, if you spill coffee on the newsletter, you just trash it and get a new one; if you spill coffee on an electronic device, it's a goner.

I agree with using photo kiosks. It's less wasteful and more efficient than printing thousands of photos, only to have them go to waste when people don't want to buy them.

From what I've been told, the unused photos are recycled. But yea, a paperless system where they only print the photos you order would be nice.

Archived