Statendam Cruise right before 2 week drydock

califgary

We are on the holiday cruise on the beautiful and elegant Statendam Christmas and New Years - immediately after this cruise she is "down" for 2 weeks before her next cruise - anyone have thoughts on whether we might see some activities started while we are on our cruise - should we reconsider being on the ship just prior? I would hate spend all the money and be amoung alot of "tear down" and such as they prepare for the drydock.

Thoughts appreciated as always

ADVANTAGE:

You probably will not be rushed off the ship, since no one will be waiting to board. So ... get a late morning (or early afternoon) flight out. Then have a long, leisurely breakfast, and disembark slowly.

DISADVANTAGE:

The ship needs mechanical work now, but won't need any after the drydock. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Twice I have been on the sailing immediately before drydock (Rotterdam, 2009; Volendam 2011). In neither case was the cruise interferred with, although there were people on board doing behind the scenes prep work.

On the Rotterdam there were things starting to be put in place (padding the elevators, for example) the night before; on the Volendam, I didn't even see that.

Even though there are no passengers waiting to board, there very well may be workmen coming on to settle into their cabins, and get to work. That did happen on the Volendam. Lots of work was started before the ship left for the drydock venue. Last call for passengers to leave was sometime around 9:30 that morning.

. . . On the Rotterdam there were things starting to be put in place (padding the elevators, for example) the night before . . .

We were also on a cruise right before drydock. On disembarkation morning, we saw padding in the elevators and sheets of plywood placed on the floor to protect floor surfaces not being replaced.

We also saw a freight container lifted by a huge crane onto an open deck.

Woody

Twice I have been on the sailing immediately before drydock (Rotterdam, 2009; Volendam 2011). In neither case was the cruise interferred with, although there were people on board doing behind the scenes prep work.

On the Rotterdam there were things starting to be put in place (padding the elevators, for example) the night before; on the Volendam, I didn't even see that.

Even though there are no passengers waiting to board, there very well may be workmen coming on to settle into their cabins, and get to work. That did happen on the Volendam. Lots of work was started before the ship left for the drydock venue. Last call for passengers to leave was sometime around 9:30 that morning.

Ruth,

During our pre Christmas cruise on the Volendam, Rene' Tuinman, the Hotel Manager gave a wonderfully interesting illustrated talk entitled "The Transformation of a Cruise Ship".

It is amazing the amount of work that is achieved during those 2 weeks of intensive work, 24 hours each day.

A credit to everyone involved in the work.

Ruth,

During our pre Christmas cruise on the Volendam, Rene' Tuinman, the Hotel Manager gave a wonderfully interesting illustrated talk entitled "The Transformation of a Cruise Ship".

Really? That's nice to know. Maybe someday I'll be so fortunate that I get a chance to go to that talk.

Thanks for the info. If I ever see it listed in the Explorer, I'll know what it is and schedule my day around it.

Archived