pepto bismol prevents illness?

praline3001

Has anyone heard of this or tried it? My in laws cruise A LOT ..like every few months (they are retired). My mother in law was telling me she learned from a crew member several years ago that taking pepto bismol every day on the cruise will prevent Noro virus and any other stomach diseases.

She has been doing it since and has never gotten sick.

I did look it up and saw a few articles about it but nothing reputable? I am not sure if this is just an old wives tale or if it really works.

I am not thrilled about giving out the pink stuff everyday to the family. Honestly ... it sounds way more OCD then I can handle. At the same time we did spend a whole lot of hard earned cash on this big family cruise. It would totally suck if we got sick and ruined the trip.

Does anyone know if there is any medical facts backing this up or is it just one of those many myths?

I kind of like hubby's approach to not getting sick. He just drinks the hard stuff and often enough that nothing could possibly stay alive in his gut while on a cruise HA HA

RC might frown on my doing the same for the kids ... :p

Has anyone heard of this or tried it? My in laws cruise A LOT ..like every few months (they are retired). My mother in law was telling me she learned from a crew member several years ago that taking pepto bismol every day on the cruise will prevent Noro virus and any other stomach diseases.

I did look it up and saw a few articles about it but nothing reputable? I am not sure if this is just an old wives tale or if it really works.

I am not thrilled about giving out the pink stuff everyday to the family. Honestly ... it sounds way more OCD then I can handle. At the same time we did spend a whole lot of hard earned cash on this big family cruise. It would totally suck if we got sick and ruined the trip.

Does anyone know if there is any medical facts backing this up or is it just one of those many myths?

I kind of like hubby's approach to not getting sick. He just drinks the hard stuff and often enough that nothing could possibly stay alive in his gut while on a cruise HA HA

I would probably stay away from using it on kids. Its active ingredient is in the same family as aspirin, and that's not recommended for children because of the risk of Reye's syndrome. For adults, it probably helps with nausea (a common symptom of stomach viruses), but there's nothing in it that will prevent or cure the virus. Plus, your tongue and p$$p turn black, and you will probably get constipated to boot:eek:

Good advice so far, especially about children. Pepto Bismol is not recommended for children under 12 and since it decreases the flow of fluid to the intestines it can be very constipating for someone taking it if they are not having diarrhea.

My husband and I have been on lots of cruises, too, and we have never gotten sick either, and that is without using Pepto Bismol. We wash our hands a lot!:D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Pepto Bismol is for nausea. It will not prevent anyone from getting sick from anything. Also, I've never been able to keep it down.

Last time I checked the crew members dont' have medical degrees either.:rolleyes:

We don't take any precautions that we don't do in every day life (washing hands) and we've never been sick in 11 cruises, so I'd say, your inlaws have just been pretty typical. Most people are pretty healthy for the majority of time, regardless of where they are.

OOPS... I should have mentioned my kids are not little. sorry about that:D

I just found a reliable article from AAFP. Who knew, it really does work.

summarizes the various drug therapies used for prophylaxis against traveler's diarrhea. Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol), in a dosage of two 262-mg tablets four times a day (taken with meals and in the evening) can prevent traveler's diarrhea. It has been shown to provide a 65 percent protection rate.8 Bismuth subsalicylate can be taken for up to three weeks. Such long-term use can, however, darken the tongue and stool, produce tinnitus and cause reactions in salicylate-sensitive patients. Bismuth subsalicylate also interferes with the absorption of doxycycline and certain other medications.8

Of course you might look like you have the plague with a black tongue HA HA

yea, I wouldn't recommend it either. If you are worried about noro just make sure you wash your hands with soap often, they are squirting sanitizer every where on board these days, I used it going in and back out of the dining areas, and back on the ship at ports, can't hurt I guess, but not sure it helps either......as for queezieness, I took ginger capsules all week on Freedom and never had a problem with my stomach, no outbreaks on Freedom last week either. Have a great cruise!:)

Here is a CDC website about using it. They are saying it takes the risk from 40% to 14%? I still am not convinced i will be taking it all week and remembering to do so but chalk one up for the pink stuff :D

Interesting as I never heard of it before and though my mother in law was off her rocker HA HA

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/travelers-diarrhea.htm

summarizes the various drug therapies used for prophylaxis against traveler's diarrhea. Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol), in a dosage of two 262-mg tablets four times a day (taken with meals and in the evening) can prevent traveler's diarrhea. It has been shown to provide a 65 percent protection rate.8 Bismuth subsalicylate can be taken for up to three weeks. Such long-term use can, however, darken the tongue and stool, produce tinnitus and cause reactions in salicylate-sensitive patients. Bismuth subsalicylate also interferes with the absorption of doxycycline and certain other medications.8

Travelers diarrhea is associated with diet, not with a virus such as noro. So, it does not prevent a true illness, just helps prevent the symptoms from a foreign diet. So, it will not prevent a contagious disease.

Noro virus is not the same as "traveler's diarrhea".

Sherri:)

I would probably stay away from using it on kids. Its active ingredient is in the same family as aspirin, and that's not recommended for children because of the risk of Reye's syndrome. For adults, it probably helps with nausea (a common symptom of stomach viruses), but there's nothing in it that will prevent or cure the virus. Plus, your tongue and p$$p turn black, and you will probably get constipated to boot:eek:

Not a good idea for all those reasons.

Ahhh ok so my mother in law is off her rocker then :D

I was looking it up ..hence the links... I just read how hard it is to get rid of the norovirus from the environment. Ouch! That is one hardy little germ.

It seem the only way to kill it is with bleach. I guess those who bring lysol spray with them aren't doing any favors for their family.

hmmmm I wonder if anyone ever did a study on the link of norovirus vs those who stay drunk on high percentages of alcohol HA HA

For bacterial infections - yes. But not viral. Once upon a time I had a run in with H. Pylori and the "cure" was a three way combo of Pepto, antibiotic and Prilosec. The Pepto part was to coat the lining of the stomach and make it hard for the bug to stick while the other agents worked to reduce acid and stop reproduction. I suspect for other bacteria it could help prevent infection in the first place.

I had Noro earlier this year and Pepto did nothing for it except make pretty pink vomit .

I agree it wont prevent Noro, but there are plenty of other things that can give you stomach issues other than Noro. I always carry it when I travel, along with immodium. I have always been sensitive to changes, so I know that I often need that help. If you have a sensitive stomach, it is probably a good idea to make sure you have it.

Quite a few years ago late DH's internist/cardiologist suggested Pepto as a preventative for the common 'different water" gastro upsets many can get.

It still works IF you are so sensitive (I have issues even in just another state). It does NOT work for bacterial or viral upsets/illnesses.

My husband and I have a theory that putting lime/lemon on everything we eat and drink while on vacation helps prevent stomach issues because the acid may help kill bacteria. Mind you, we have absolutely no medical evidence for this, but it is a good excuse to drink plenty of margaritas!

I've been taking Pepto on all my vacations, land or sea, as a barrier to Montezuma's Revenge. :D I begin a couple days before I leave and continue it for a day or two after getting back home. So far I've been spared the revenge.

Pepto and Immodium can help with symtoms of gastro-intestinal disorders (noro and other), but it can do nothing to prevent. Taking it in advance, before you have symptoms is pointless. Better to spend your time and attention on washing your hands a few more times than usual -- that is the surest preventive measure you can take.

• 4 years later...

I was travelling to Cancun about 15 years ago, and I asked my pharmacist was there anything I could take to help with Montezuma's Revenge while I was in Mexico. He recommended taking 2 Pepto Bismol tablets every morning. He said this would coat your stomach and help prevent stomach problems from the food and water. Whenever I am on a cruise and having a meal ashore, I always take 2 Pepto Bismol tablets in the morning and have not been sick yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I don't get any intestinal bugs on future cruises.

Edited by veloman

This from netdoctor.co.uk

Pepto-bismol chewable tablets and suspension both contain the active ingredient bismuth subsalicylate.

It is not fully understood how this medicine works. However, bismuth subsalicylate has several actions in the gut. It appears to coat irritated tissues in the stomach and intestine, reducing inflammation and reducing irritation. It may also reduce secretions in the digestive tract. It kills bacteria, including E coli, a common cause of diarrhoea. It also has weak antacid properties.

So it is antimicrobial, but it would not do anything against a viral infection beside maybe help with the symptoms a little.

Google is, or is not, your friend. Noro is a virus. Wash your hands and don't sneeze on folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums