After Thanksgiving??

Sea and Me

I just noticed the sailing on the Emerald is reduced for the Nov.27th sailing. What are your thoughts about sailing a few days after Thanksgiving??

I realize it is a busy time for travel. Can't worry about airfare (too soon) but the prices are really good for the cruise.

Carol

I often sail at this time of year because the deals are good. The hurricane season is usually pretty much over by then. I went on the Panama Canal RT last year at Thanksgiving time and the weather was great. I love it. I'm doing Hawaii post-Thanksgiving this year.

Plus you'll probably get holiday decorations!

We've done that cruise for two years in a row. It's a wonderful time to cruise. The water is still warm, and the Christmas winds haven't yet begun. However, the Emerald is doing a dry dock or wet dock or something in Freeport from 12/7 to 12/17. Others have reported that sometimes, work begins on the ship early, so that's a possibility.

Carol you must have gotten the same mailer we got:)

I don't think anyone can really answer this for you. We choose to not sail from about the second week of November until New Years.........just to many family obligations. However everybody's circumstances are different. I would do it in a heartbeat except for the kids and grandkids.

We discovered completely by happenstance a few years ago that those first couple weeks after Thanksgiving tend to be very affordable, with very few kids, and, as Pia mentioned, the passenger demographic does tend to skew a little on the older side, which tends to mean less struggling for deck loungers and fewer lines for Anytime dining (though if you're looking for early fixed dining, you'll have a tough time.)

We've done this probably 5 out of the last 6 years, and have a cruise on the Ruby booked for us and our parents this coming December. I highly recommend it.

Happy cruising! :D

I often sail at this time of year because the deals are good. The hurricane season is usually pretty much over by then. I went on the Panama Canal RT last year at Thanksgiving time and the weather was great.

We sailed at Thanksgiving in the Panama Canal and the weather was dreadful. I figured that was why it was so inexpensive.

We are sailing b2b's this year, embarking on T-Day and debarking on Christmas Eve.

....also with walkers & scooters from the nursing homes.

Once, when I was on Emerald, about a year ago -- around 9:30

at night, after dinner -- a passenger was haranguing the head

waiter at the dining room door -- someone had stolen his scooter

while he was dining.

I doubt it was a serious caper, more likely someone just took the

wrong one.

But, on that cruise, it was like a parking lot outside the dining room.

Once, when I was on Emerald, about a year ago -- around 9:30

at night, after dinner -- a passenger was haranguing the head

waiter at the dining room door -- someone had stolen his scooter

while he was dining.

I doubt it was a serious caper, more likely someone just took the

wrong one.

But, on that cruise, it was like a parking lot outside the dining room.

Pretty soon they have handicapped parking spaces. :D

I always assumed the scooters had some sort of a key to keep anyone from using them unauthorized?

I just noticed the sailing on the Emerald is reduced for the Nov.27th sailing. What are your thoughts about sailing a few days after Thanksgiving??

I realize it is a busy time for travel. Can't worry about airfare (too soon) but the prices are really good for the cruise.

Carol

Great time to Cruise! Jetblue opened up there flights thru november on sunday.

My cruise, airfare, hotel rooms & insurance are all booked :D

Reader

We have cruised a few times during this time period and it has been very affordable.

On the other side, on multiple trips - there were large groups of people from multiple retirement communities who were cruising as a group. They probably took up half of the ship. On one cruise, it seemed like everyone was "formerly of New York or New Jersey now living in Florida". I wondered if that retirement community required that people formerly lived in NJ or NY. :)

We have cruised a few times during this time period and it has been very affordable.

On the other side, on multiple trips - there were large groups of people from multiple retirement communities who were cruising as a group. They probably took up half of the ship. On one cruise, it seemed like everyone was "formerly of New York or New Jersey now living in Florida". I wondered if that retirement community required that people formerly lived in NJ or NY. :)

What it is, is that South Florida gets most of their residents, snowbirds or otherwise, from the Northeast. West Florida's residents come mostly from the midwest. You will find a different demographic on those cruises leaving from Tampa. I wonder why Princess never put a ship there.

What it is, is that South Florida gets most of their residents, snowbirds or otherwise, from the Northeast. West Florida's residents come mostly from the midwest. You will find a different demographic on those cruises leaving from Tampa. I wonder why Princess never put a ship there.

I believe that to be true. I live in the Midwest and all the seniors I know want to (or have already) move to Tampa/Sarasota/Fort Myers area. None of them mention Miami/FLL/West Palm Beach area.

I believe that to be true. I live in the Midwest and all the seniors I know what to (or have already) move to Tampa/Sarasota/Fort Myers area. None of them mention Miami/FLL/West Palm Beach area.

Exactly. Occasionally a few make mistakes. We have lots of folks on our side from Chicago, but mainly NY, NJ, Pa and Mass. I'm here so long I'm almost native.

Exactly. Occasionally a few make mistakes. We have lots of folks on our side from Chicago, but mainly NY, NJ, Pa and Mass. I'm here so long I'm almost native.

I-95 vs. I-75

In the old days, when the "I <heart> NY" campaign was

big, a friend of mine in south florida had a shirt that

said "If you <heart> NY so da%% much, get on I-95 and head north"

I-95 vs. I-75

In the old days, when the "I <heart> NY" campaign was

big, a friend of mine in south florida had a shirt that

said "If you <heart> NY so da%% much, get on I-95 and head north"

Old Days, you say? We used to see bumper stickers that read:

Happiness is a New Yorker going North carrying a Canadian under each arm.

Not very politically correct, but 30+ years ago not many people cared.

It's going to be so nice in about 3 or 4 weeks not having the birds around any longer clogging up the roads, doctors offices & restaurants. :D

It's going to be so nice in about 3 or 4 weeks not having the birds around any longer clogging up the roads, doctors offices & restaurants. :D

Not always with restaurants. They need to be crowded, because if they don't make it "in season", they're out of business.

I remember those bumper stickers - I've been here about 30 years. I used to giggle everytime I saw one! May not have been politically correct - but it was all in good fun - mostly.:eek:

Now that we're getting ready to retire the search is on for somewhere in the BlueRidge mountains that isn't over-run with Floridians in the summertime.

Not always with restaurants. They need to be crowded, because if they don't make it "in season", they're out of business.

It's still nicer during the simmer season. We actually avoid them during the winter months to a degree.

Plus my wife says her favorite dress place actually has cheaper prices during the summer.

Archived