How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

Going with HAL has absolutely NOTHING to do with not being smart. It's just plain and simple EASY!! Some of us don't want to worry about little things while on holiday, like transportation to the hotel/ship, or getting back to the ship ontime from excursions. Some people love to plan on tripadvisor and organize private tours and find their own hotels. That is wonderful for them, if that is what they like! I feel sorry for those who have to find ways to save money on their cruise. I've actually decided I don't want to shlep wine onto the ship at ports or embarkation. There is plenty of overpriced wine on HAL that is fine for us! I don't care what we pay...I just want it to be easy. I can't tell you how happy I was at our post hotel in Amsterdam (which was very nice and in a good location WITH a HAL rep. acting as a concierge), when the limo pulled up and took us to the airport right on time. I didn't have to do a thing, except tell the bellman what time to pick up our luggage.

I think you're missing the point a bit. Not everyone takes private tours or does a port on their own to save money. In fact, that's not a reason that would be in my "Top 5" probably. I travel solo quite often and I have been known to pay the entire amount of a private tour (say $500) if that is the BEST way to see what I want to see on a given day.

I cruise for itinerary mainly, and I've taken my fair share of all sorts of tours (ship, private, taxi, walking, camel, donkey, boat, whatever....) and also done my share of "DIY" (do it yourself) tours.

I have had some bad experiences on ship tours; suffice to say I avoid them when possible. And not only because of the large groups -- I really hate the "forced shopping" stops that take a great deal of time from the actual sightseeing. And bad guides.

I am not willing to settle for "simple" over "best". It has nothing to do with cost. I've enjoyed some of those $500 private tours, but I've enjoyed just as much the challenge of planning a full-day DIY adventure in Istanbul that maybe ended up costing $40.

Just thinking ... do HAL officers, when they get shore time, do ONLY HAL tours themselves? If not, some of them may want to hear about private excursions. ;)

+

We do the long cruises & do a combination of HAL tours & private excursions...When we've been on HAL tours, we've often had Officers & other HAL employees on our tours with us... We have a picture of an Officers Fiancée (sp?) who was sitting directly in front of us on a HAl tour in the Amazon & a little boy in a Canoe placed a sloth on her lap.. Will see if I can find it..

well, my invites are all prepared with a pic of the ship :) and they get delivered. My thank you's though are always hand written. It's the only way to do a thank you note - at least that's the way I was taught.

And yes, we usually have officers/beverage managers/whatever. It really depends upon the timing of the M & G. Ours are not good with arrival times at port so I don't expect everyone there by any means, but they will still get the invites (which always include a thank you to HAL for the lovely venue and the assistance)

Actually what I do is have a copy of the Invite reminder which I either put in the participant mailboxes or someone has offered to have a Steward put them in all participants mail boxes..

For the Officers, I attach a quick little hand written note saying that our group would be honored if you would come & say hello to the participants of our M & G & sign the note with our cabin No....I place this in an envelope & address it to the Capt, Bev.Mgr., HM, CD etc & take it down to the front desk & they always give them to the person..When they show Up I immediately introduce them to the group & thank them for coming...Then I later on in the cruise follow up later with another hand written thank you..At one of our M & G the Capt invited every one to his VIP party later in the cruise..Another time they asked us if we would like to have a special table for lunch have served wine..It has been delightful..

I think you're missing the point a bit. Not everyone takes private tours or does a port on their own to save money. In fact, that's not a reason that would be in my "Top 5" probably. I travel solo quite often and I have been known to pay the entire amount of a private tour (say $500) if that is the BEST way to see what I want to see on a given day.

I cruise for itinerary mainly, and I've taken my fair share of all sorts of tours (ship, private, taxi, walking, camel, donkey, boat, whatever....) and also done my share of "DIY" (do it yourself) tours.

I have had some bad experiences on ship tours; suffice to say I avoid them when possible. And not only because of the large groups -- I really hate the "forced shopping" stops that take a great deal of time from the actual sightseeing. And bad guides.

I am not willing to settle for "simple" over "best". It has nothing to do with cost. I've enjoyed some of those $500 private tours, but I've enjoyed just as much the challenge of planning a full-day DIY adventure in Istanbul that maybe ended up costing $40.

No, I'm not missing the point. I mentioned there are people who like to plan, but I don't. You are one of those people who like to do it yourself. We all like something different. I am not crazy about the bus trips either, but I tolerate them because they are "easy". I know I can go back to a port someday, if I miss something. My point was there are some of us who knowingly overpay for subpar tours, because we want the convenience. We don't do it because we are being foolish...it's what makes us comfortable.

If we would be happy on a HAL tour (or the tours of any cruise line) the money would not be an issue. But with over forty years of extensive international travel, DW and I just totally dislike being stuck on a bus with 50 other souls, led around like cattle by a tour guide, having to go to the bathroom when told, etc. We simply prefer to do what we want, when we want, with who we want. In some ports we do not even bother to plan anything, but simply do what feels right at the time. At other ports, we do our homework and make some prior arrangements.

As to private excursions, we have done a few (mostly on longer HAL cruises) that were organized by others ...and posted on our Roll Call board. In most cases it was just a matter of sending a single e-mail to join those tours which are always much smaller groups that a cruise line excursion.

I should also add that DW and I are foodies and love to sample the cuisine all over the world. Most excursions allow little time for lunch and often will take their charges to touristy restaurants that specialize in handling large bus tours. The thought of being in a place like Rome and not being able to enjoy at least 1-2 hours sitting at a Piazza Navona café is too painful to contemplate :). And that is just one example of why we love to do nearly everything DIY.

Hank

I think this is great! If it works well for you that's awesome. The thing that I don't like is a few posters that put others down for doing Hal tours. It's a huge turn off. There are people on this board that I used to like but because of their holier than thou attitude on tours ( and a few other things) I really can't handle them anymore.

When people say over and over again that Hal tours are expensive and they can do it cheaper themselves, it leaves me with the opinion it's about money:D. It doesn't sound like that is your driver. Truth be told I don't do a ton of Hal's tours because I find them a huge bore. Going to see churches or museums is about as exciting as a root canal to me.

I think this is great! If it works well for you that's awesome. The thing that I don't like is a few posters that put others down for doing Hal tours. It's a huge turn off. There are people on this board that I used to like but because of their holier than thou attitude on tours ( and a few other things) I really can't handle them anymore.

Cruz Chic, if I were single and brave enough to travel alone like you do I would always opt for the safe and secure option. Men just don't seem to grasp that very legitimate concern.

I have seen officers on Hal excursions.
When we've been on HAL tours, we've often had Officers & other HAL employees on our tours with us...
So have I. I think you missed my point. I asked if HAL officers take ONLY HAL excursions ... that is, NEVER take private excursions themselves. Kazu answered that question.

So have I. I think you missed my point. I asked if HAL officers take ONLY HAL excursions ... that is, NEVER take private excursions themselves. Kazu answered that question.

No, I didn't miss your point. I just had to add my 2 cents worth:D.

Cruz Chic, if I were single and brave enough to travel alone like you do I would always opt for the safe and secure option. Men just don't seem to grasp that very legitimate concern.

I love travelling alone. I need to de stress from my job. I can't do that with someone expecting me to be around them 24/7. I don't think I would do anything different if I was with someone else. I just worry way to much and it's hard for me to calm down if I'm always worried that something is going to happen. The most scary thing I've done lately is getting in a cab in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you.

For interests sake, I will say that the chief engineer joined us on our private flamenco show. And we have another HAL staff person joining us on some tours in a month ... So it isn't a fluke on one cruise;)

By the way, they have been great company!

Edited by kazu

We are friends with 2 HAL Officers (and the wife of one of them) and have done some port things with our friends. But never on a HAL tour or any kind of tour. Like us, they prefer to do their own thing. And I know that at least one of those 2 Officers would not be caught dead (or alive) on a HAL Passenger excursion since the last thing he (and his wife when she is aboard) want to do when they have port time off,,,,is spend it with a group of passengers. Our non-married officer friend prefers to spend his few hours of shore time in a decent local "watering hole" with his personal friends (mostly crew...with a few long time passenger friends if they happen to be on his ship).

Other crew members (usually not officers) will sign-up to go along on excursions since HAL likes to have 1 employee on many tour buses. These excursions are free to the crew/chaperons which is their great attraction. But they do have a responsibility to watch over the passengers on the excursion and will often hang at the rear to watch for stragglers (another reason I sometimes equate cruise ship excursions to cattle drives). In one specific case we know of a companion to a HAL physician who used to routinely sign-up to chaperon excursions (the price was right). Other times we have seen contractors like the shop workers who will manage to get on the excursions for chaperon duty. It is usually first come first serve with the sign-ups..but of course the crew person must be able to take the time off (which favors the folks that work in the shops).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I love travelling alone. I need to de stress from my job. I can't do that with someone expecting me to be around them 24/7. I don't think I would do anything different if I was with someone else. I just worry way to much and it's hard for me to calm down if I'm always worried that something is going to happen. The most scary thing I've done lately is getting in a cab in Fort Lauderdale.

I had a chuckle at this comment because unfortunately I felt the same way - even being with my DH. Last time we took a cab in FLL the driver talked on his cell phone (in Haitian) the whole time, taking very little notice of what was going on around him!:eek: and driving one-handed from start to finish.

Some times it's good if more would stand back and listen, & do less talking.

Listen to the things & events people are going to do. Remember some it has taken a year or more to save for this trip. Just be kind, & listen.

We are friends with 2 HAL Officers (and the wife of one of them) and have done some port things with our friends. But never on a HAL tour or any kind of tour. Like us, they prefer to do their own thing. And I know that at least one of those 2 Officers would not be caught dead (or alive) on a HAL Passenger excursion since the last thing he (and his wife when she is aboard) want to do when they have port time off,,,,is spend it with a group of passengers. Our non-married officer friend prefers to spend his few hours of shore time in a decent local "watering hole" with his personal friends (mostly crew...with a few long time passenger friends if they happen to be on his ship).

Other crew members (usually not officers) will sign-up to go along on excursions since HAL likes to have 1 employee on many tour buses. These excursions are free to the crew/chaperons which is their great attraction. But they do have a responsibility to watch over the passengers on the excursion and will often hang at the rear to watch for stragglers (another reason I sometimes equate cruise ship excursions to cattle drives). In one specific case we know of a companion to a HAL physician who used to routinely sign-up to chaperon excursions (the price was right). Other times we have seen contractors like the shop workers who will manage to get on the excursions for chaperon duty. It is usually first come first serve with the sign-ups..but of course the crew person must be able to take the time off (which favors the folks that work in the shops).

Hank

Hal pax are a wild bunch. Definitely need a chaperone :D.

This is a somewhat amusing post.

Did you get the sense that the HAL Officers would have preferred to have enjoyed their port time off instead of hanging out with passengers like yourself? Or do they only associate with certain types of passengers?

Did you get the sense that the HAL Officers would have preferred to have enjoyed their port time off instead of hanging out with passengers like yourself? Or do they only associate with certain types of passengers?

Not sure I even understand the question. The crew are "people too" and like to do things just like "real people." But, their job requirements on the ship will often not give them a lot of time off. One of our old friends used to be the Security Officer on a HAL ship and he usually had his wife onboard. But because he was in charge of ship security, he rarely took any off time while in ports since that was the time he had the most concerns about security. So his wife spent most of her port days off the ship with friends (both crew and passengers).

Most of the Senior Officers we know, spend most of their off time with other Senior Officers (especially if they have their spouses or family aboard) because it is just easier to become friends with folks you see every day. I think the true friendships with passengers are somewhat rare, but they do happen. In quite a few cases of which we are aware, the friendships developed when a officer's wife was aboard and developed her own friendships which later involved her husband. This is how we became friends with our married officer pal...via his wife.

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you Cruz Chic for often being the voice of the solo cruiser.

Harsh :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harsh :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually it's downright offensive!:(

Don't understand why someone would make a comment like this.. Long time Psgrs , clients, of many businesses have formed close friendships ..

We formed a Friendship with our Dentist & his wife.. When they went away we took their Pup & when we go away they always took care of our Pup.. Now that he passed away, we are still very friendly with his wife..She is often invited to our home with her Pup & we still care for him when she goes away & V.V..!

When I was in the Airline Business, some of our clients asked my Boss if they could come to my retirement Party as we were Friends..One of our clients gave DH & me a Hotel stay in Aruba as a wedding gift..We're still Friends with several of them & when they come to Fla they always call us!

I'm sure that happens with Crew & Psgrs on ships..

Edited by serendipity1499

Seems to me this thread has gotten a bit over the top. We have had wonderful M&Gs and at every one there were senior officers attending. In fact a few years ago at one with about 50 CCers, the Captain asked if there was anything he could do for us .. so I asked him if he would consider giving us a tour of his quarters. Not only did he agree, but he took about an hour explaining his involvement with the ship, his family and his home country.

That was before everyone became possessed with just working out private tours. In the last two years we went to four and everyone of them was predisposed to discussing tours. We met zero new folks - in the past it was a benefit of the meeting - so we quit going since then.

harry

Harry's comments tell the story about how roll calls and meet and greets have evolved. Passengers in large numbers are learning about private tour options and DIY touring and they are doing it. Cruise critic is a tremendous resource on the how's and whys. Even non Internet users are getting involved, hearing about the tours through traveling companions, dinner companions. I feel the meet and greets have evolved based on what the majority of roll call members are interested in.

I keep hearing about how expensive ships' tours are, and some do seem expensive for what you get. But the 100% markup doesn't sound right. When I've been able to find the same tour online, the prices were very close. For example, I think I paid $10 more than internet price for the St Kitts Sugar Train. But the tour provided a bus ride to and from the train, so that $10 difference would have been consumed by taxi fare. In Skagway, the various versions of the train cost about the same to buy directly as from the ship. In Australia, our flightseeing cost exactly what direct booking would have cost. (There was a price list in the seatback pocket) Our day at the Barrier Reef also cost the same through the ship as independent booking. OK, the vendor probably discounts to the ship, and then the ship marks up the price. But in the end, I don't think I've ever paid double what the same tour would have cost independently.

We found it 100% on the South Pacific itinerary a couple of years ago. Can't speak to every tour, every port, every cruise but we knew for sure what the ship's tour did was identical to what we did in some places and that was the markup. I think all cruise lines do the same. Sometimes we go on our own and other times we pay the markup to have the security of the ship's tour.

The OP's report should cause HAL some concern. I can see why the tour organizing should not dominate a M&G. However, given the influence of CC and its growing status, smart marketing uses CC and its members wisely. We saw this on the NCL Star this winter. Not only was there the traditional M&G (no tour organizing) but the Hotel Director invited us all back to a followup gathering at a bar with free drinks to offer suggestions. Not a complaint fest but a genuine attempt to improve service. That was the only cruise on any line where we've had that followup gathering.

Thank you for this thread. I have attended a M&G on Eurodam and arranged a 60 person one on Noordam. In the first case there was some tour discussion, but we had no HAL staff attending. In the second case HAL couldn't have been nicer, roping off about 1/3 of the Crow's Nest for us. The Event Manager and Hotel Director (Ron Botenfels). Ron seemed distracted by some ship business, but both he and David Darden stayed for a quite a while.

It seemed too big to go around person by person so I introed myself and our staff guests and invited people to intro themselves to each other. I forgot to ask Ron or David to speak, but will remember that for next time. When I saw David later at a cocktail party he commented on how upbeat and talkative our group was. I don't claim credit, but I did try to run an upbeat and positive rollcall. I did make special invites for those who gave me their cabin #s in email and also sent them to the relevant staff once on the ship. I wrote Ron and David thank you notes.

I'll probably do the M&G for our Circle Hawaii cruise and will remember many of all your comments as I plan. Thanks for this thread!

It is true that many Meet and Greets will involve significant discussions about the ports and tours (not sure why folks have an issue with this). But there is a reason this is happening and it simply has to do with the GREED of HAL (and many other lines) with the pricing of their excursions. We are going to give you all a perfect example comparing apples to apples.

HAL ships call at Dunedin, New Zealand and offer a popular tour on a train to the Taieri Gorge. The HAL excursion costs $500 a couple (this is about a 4 hour excursion). However, it is possible to book the exact same tour on your own through the railroads own web site. If one does this, and includes the boxed lunch option (which is included in the tour) the total cost for 2....in US Dollars would be $188! And this would be on the exact same train and same kind of train cars that are on the HAL excursion. So on this single excursion, we folks that do our own thing can save over $300 in 4 hours! And this is just one simple example of why more and more cruisers are doing private tours and/or DIY. We could give many more examples, but folks can easily save thousands of dollars on an HAL cruise by avoiding those overpriced excursions.

And by the way, since HAL is purchasing these excursions at a hefty discount, their profit is even greater then what it seems.

So is there any wonder that some folks want to discuss port options at a Meet and Greet?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner