How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

It is true that many Meet and Greets will involve significant discussions about the ports and tours (not sure why folks have an issue with this). But there is a reason this is happening and it simply has to do with the GREED of HAL (and many other lines) with the pricing of their excursions. We are going to give you all a perfect example comparing apples to apples.

HAL ships call at Dunedin, New Zealand and offer a popular tour on a train to the Taieri Gorge. The HAL excursion costs $500 a couple (this is about a 4 hour excursion). However, it is possible to book the exact same tour on your own through the railroads own web site. If one does this, and includes the boxed lunch option (which is included in the tour) the total cost for 2....in US Dollars would be $188! And this would be on the exact same train and same kind of train cars that are on the HAL excursion. So on this single excursion, we folks that do our own thing can save over $300 in 4 hours! And this is just one simple example of why more and more cruisers are doing private tours and/or DIY. We could give many more examples, but folks can easily save thousands of dollars on an HAL cruise by avoiding those overpriced excursions.

And by the way, since HAL is purchasing these excursions at a hefty discount, their profit is even greater then what it seems.

So is there any wonder that some folks want to discuss port options at a Meet and Greet?

Hank

Guess what? Hal is in business to make money. It was a hal officer that was said to be bothered by people talking about diy excursions. Its just tacky to speak in front of hal employees. You certainly don't have to agree. I have some folks that I work with that have talked about going out for lunch right in front of me. That is tacky. I have no desire to join them but most people have enough manners to understand that type of conversation is disrespectful.

Edited by cruz chic

It is true that many Meet and Greets will involve significant discussions about the ports and tours (not sure why folks have an issue with this). But there is a reason this is happening and it simply has to do with the GREED of HAL (and many other lines) with the pricing of their excursions. We are going to give you all a perfect example comparing apples to apples.

HAL ships call at Dunedin, New Zealand and offer a popular tour on a train to the Taieri Gorge. The HAL excursion costs $500 a couple (this is about a 4 hour excursion). However, it is possible to book the exact same tour on your own through the railroads own web site. If one does this, and includes the boxed lunch option (which is included in the tour) the total cost for 2....in US Dollars would be $188! And this would be on the exact same train and same kind of train cars that are on the HAL excursion. So on this single excursion, we folks that do our own thing can save over $300 in 4 hours! And this is just one simple example of why more and more cruisers are doing private tours and/or DIY. We could give many more examples, but folks can easily save thousands of dollars on an HAL cruise by avoiding those overpriced excursions.

And by the way, since HAL is purchasing these excursions at a hefty discount, their profit is even greater then what it seems.

So is there any wonder that some folks want to discuss port options at a Meet and Greet?

Hank

Guess what? Hal is in business to make money. It was a hal officer that was said to be bothered by people talking about diy excursions. Its just tacky to speak in front of hal employees. You certainly don't have to agree. I have some folks that I work with that have talked about going out for lunch right in front of me. That is tacky. I have no desire to join them but most people have enough manners to understand that type of conversation is disrespectful.

Cruz chic I agree with you...In 2009 Bruce Muzz & Phillip 217 both Long time Cruise Line officers weighed in about the costs of things on cruises..

This is a quote from a post by Bruce Muzz: Quote

BRUCE MUZZ: (HAL OFFICER): One needs to know the very important difference between a "huge money maker" and a "huge PROFIT maker".

Or one needs to be aware that cruise lines dedicate incredibly valuable onboard space based on PROFITS generated - not on revenues generated.

Although Shorex generates very high revenues every cruise, a very high percentage of those revenues are paid to the shore tour operators - in cash - the very same day you take the tour. All the major cruise lines have been forced by sue-happy passengers to carry enormous liability insurance packages for shore excursions. This insurance is quite expensive. It eats up much of what is not already paid to the operators.

The entire thread is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956159

Also check out Post no. 57 by Phillip 217 in the above thread.. Here is one paragraph of his post: Quote

Yes, approximately 50% of your shore tour cost goes back to the shore operator. Some areas and countries - like Hawaii and most of Europe - the cruise lines are paying closer to 70% back to the operators. Then the cruise line pays millions to the insurance companies to cover the massive liability insurance they need to carry when you sue them because you stubbed your toe while on tour.

Depending on the cruise line, they carry between $2Million and $5Million liability coverage per person, per tour.

As a former single traveler who worked in the Airline Field for 28 years I too often book my own tours at a less expensive rate, but I'm also taking a chance if there was an accident.. We purchase insurance, but if there was a serious accident we might have to borrow against our retirement funds to pay our share of costs..

Would you be able to pay for the cost of an air evacuation from a foreign country for yourself.. When we were in the Amazon one of our Cruise Critic posters had to borrow almost $50,000 to evacuate her Mother by air from Manaus..

Has anyone ever taken into consideration what it cost the Cruise Line to purchase insurance?.. If there was an accident on the train, which recently happened in Alaska, who would you sue & where would you hire an attorney..

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/skagwaycanada-train-derails-at-least-9-injured/27119300

I don't doubt that injured Psgrs. (or heirs in case of a death) would file a claim against HAL if it was one of their tours..

JMO..

Edited by serendipity1499

I think it's two different things. Talking about the merits of a service you are purchasing vs. the merits of a different vendor in front of the service provider isn't the same as talking among colleagues about a social activity. HAL is in a different relation to you. Would it be wrong to go into a store and tell them you saw a better price on something somewhere else or that another store offered a better product? Perhaps people do this in hopes that the store would take notice and provide a more competitive price or option.

In my opinion, HAL has a wonderful free "focus group" available when they meet with Cruise Critic members. Why not mine that knowledge and opinion to help them guide future decisions?

(And let me again state, since someone will take what I said above to mean it is okay to have a "free for all" tour-promoting Meet & Greet, that is not what I mean. However, I don't think the topic needs to be completely banned either.)

This thread came to mind a few minutes ago when we were checking the Roll Call Board for an HAL Cruise. The attitude of those folks is a bit different from some HAL cruisers who want to severely censor discussions at Meet and Greets. Somebody has suggested putting up signs (at the Meet and Greet) with the different ports so folks wanting to talk about tours could gravitate to the sub-groups putting together private or DIY things for those ports or perhaps have sign-up sheets for later meetings. So rather then trying to "protect" the cruise line from discussions of private plans, they are trying to enhance the ability to discuss that stuff at the M&G. We actually think the sign-up sheet idea is good and would also support the idea of breaking off into smaller groups (to discuss port plans) towards the end of the general M&G session

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

That I really don't understand. Surely, plans for private tours have been made ahead of time? I certainly don't think anyone is supposed to be "recruiting" for tours at the M & G? All very well, to say "Hi, we're on xxx tour with you, nice to meet you", but as for setting up stations for sign-ups, I don't feel that would be right.

I think the Meet and Greets are a nice "touch" and thank HAL for providing and setting up the space and providing some refreshments and having some ship officials attending (most of the time).

Therefore I think we should all use some common sense in not promoting things (gripe sessions, shore excursions, etc) that could cause HAL to decide not to sponsor these events in the future. Don't laugh, this has happened before (like the unlimited wine being brought onboard until HAL saw cases of it coming onboard in some ports).

DaveOKC

Wow.

I do use the M & G's to find people who will be touring with us, BUT, it is made clear before we board to come see me when the meeting is over.

If the M & G's have morphed into something else than it is HaL's fault for not having any leadership. HAL handles these very differently than either Celebrity or Azamara. HAL just provides the space and cookies and shows up if someone has taken the leadership role and invites some officers.

On the other hand, both Celebrity & Azamara put the meeting together. You log right in on cruise critic and they send you a notice with the time and place, plus leave an invitation in your cabin.

Lots of officers show up and introduce themselves answer questions and than everyone can "Meet & Mingle" (The Celebrity name for these get-to-gethers).

If HAL is going to start charging for space as well as coffee & tea set-up, they are just bringing themselves down further as a mass market line (who has great itineraries).

==

"Quote:

Originally Posted by WCB View Post

... Much to our surprise, Henk may a couple of remarks regarding the Cruise Critic group, and the fact that their meetings have morphed into meetings on individual tour group arrangements in the upcoming ports. He feels that the ship's staff need not host a program that essentially is being used to undercut their product. Fair enough. Our immediate reply was that the tours have become pricey, and people feel compelled to shop more affordable excursions. He agreed, but said that HAL may no longer complimentary host these meetings with invitations, refreshments, and their attendance. ..."

Edited by Jade13

Hank

We just did this tour on Celebrity. There was no option to do this independently as there are only two trains, and both were chartered by two different cruise lines. The tour/train was sold out and thee was a waiting list.

They also have options that include either a city tour or Castle/mansion tour afterwards.

Has anyone ever taken into consideration what it cost the Cruise Line to purchase insurance?.. If there was an accident on the train, which recently happened in Alaska, who would you sue & where would you hire an attorney..

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/skagwaycanada-train-derails-at-least-9-injured/27119300

I don't doubt that injured Psgrs. (or heirs in case of a death) would file a claim against HAL if it was one of their tours..

JMO..

Alaska is in the US. I don't think it would be hard to find an attorney if you really needed one.

Not sure what insurance you are talking about, but most US citizens probably have medical insurance that covers them in the US, in addition to any travel (liability, trip interruption) insurance that they purchase.

Wow.

I do use the M & G's to find people who will be touring with us, BUT, it is made clear before we board to come see me when the meeting is over.

If the M & G's have morphed into something else than it is HaL's fault for not having any leadership. HAL handles these very differently than either Celebrity or Azamara. HAL just provides the space and cookies and shows up if someone has taken the leadership role and invites some officers.

On the other hand, both Celebrity & Azamara put the meeting together. You log right in on cruise critic and they send you a notice with the time and place, plus leave an invitation in your cabin.

Lots of officers show up and introduce themselves answer questions and than everyone can "Meet & Mingle" (The Celebrity name for these get-to-gethers).

If HAL is going to start charging for space as well as coffee & tea set-up, they are just bringing themselves down further as a mass market line (who has great itineraries).

==

"Quote:

Originally Posted by WCB View Post

... Much to our surprise, Henk may a couple of remarks regarding the Cruise Critic group, and the fact that their meetings have morphed into meetings on individual tour group arrangements in the upcoming ports. He feels that the ship's staff need not host a program that essentially is being used to undercut their product. Fair enough. Our immediate reply was that the tours have become pricey, and people feel compelled to shop more affordable excursions. He agreed, but said that HAL may no longer complimentary host these meetings with invitations, refreshments, and their attendance. ..."

My previous post point exactly!

Alaska is in the US. I don't think it would be hard to find an attorney if you really needed one.

Not sure what insurance you are talking about, but most US citizens probably have medical insurance that covers them in the US, in addition to any travel (liability, trip interruption) insurance that they purchase.

The insurance being discussed here is the liability insurance HAL (and other cruise lines) carry. If someone is injured on an excursion that HAL sold, the lawsuit that would be filed would include the actual Tour Operator, HAL, and most likely Carnival Corporation as defendants. Because of this, I am sure HAL carries insurance that covers things that go wrong while on excursions.

The insurance being discussed here is the liability insurance HAL (and other cruise lines) carry. If someone is injured on an excursion that HAL sold, the lawsuit that would be filed would include the actual Tour Operator, HAL, and most likely Carnival Corporation as defendants. Because of this, I am sure HAL carries insurance that covers things that go wrong while on excursions.

Rich...You have that right..

That's exactly what Bruce Muzz & Philip 217, were trying to convey..See my Post No 252 above..[

HAL & all the other Cruise lines carry anywhere from 2 to 5Million dollars in liability insurance on every tour Psgrs..That insurance costs a fortune..

See Thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956159

And read Phillip's post No. 57 in the above thread, which explains about the insurance HAL & other cruise lines must carry..

cheers...

Edited by serendipity1499

I have the impression some ship tour loyalists are picturing private tour operators as flim flam operators. I cannot begin to tell you how many privates have told me they also work for the cruise lines as well as land tour operators. (A few have told us the cruise line markup is 100 to 150 per cent). Most of the guides have been in business for decades and many are endorsed by Rick Steve's, Fodors, Frommers, lonely Planet. There is a wealth of information about their companies on the Internet, vetted by fellow travelers. Our favorite company in Italy ( I won't use the company name due to forum rules) works extensively with international news agencies, the owner Stefano toured us one day and told us he has an arrangement with CNN, he drives them around when there is breaking papal news. We recently spent a marvelous day in Northern Ireland with the most fabulous guide and he was proud to tell the Americans in our group he recently spent days driving Bill Clinton around. He also does work for the Northern Ireland government. Our guide in Rio was asked to submit tour proposals to Olympic entities for 2016. In Alaska we lucked into a tour of Ketchikan, cannot remember the guides name as this was years ago. He had recently toured Bill Gates, Paul Allen and their celebrity friends who were in Alaska. Paul Allen had chartered the Crystal Symphony for Gates 40th birthday, they all rode around in the guide's school bus. We were told we were sitting in the seat Candace Bergen had.

I have the impression some ship tour loyalists are picturing private tour operators as flim flam operators. I cannot begin to tell you how many privates have told me they also work for the cruise lines as well as land tour operators. (A few have told us the cruise line markup is 100 to 150 per cent). Most of the guides have been in business for decades and many are endorsed by Rick Steve's, Fodors, Frommers, lonely Planet. There is a wealth of information about their companies on the Internet, vetted by fellow travelers. Our favorite company in Italy ( I won't use the company name due to forum rules) works extensively with international news agencies, the owner Stefano toured us one day and told us he has an arrangement with CNN, he drives them around when there is breaking papal news. We recently spent a marvelous day in Northern Ireland with the most fabulous guide and he was proud to tell the Americans in our group he recently spent days driving Bill Clinton around. He also does work for the Northern Ireland government. Our guide in Rio was asked to submit tour proposals to Olympic entities for 2016. In Alaska we lucked into a tour of Ketchikan, cannot remember the guides name as this was years ago. He had recently toured Bill Gates, Paul Allen and their celebrity friends who were in Alaska. Paul Allen had chartered the Crystal Symphony for Gates 40th birthday, they all rode around in the guide's school bus. We were told we were sitting in the seat Candace Bergen had.

In addition, most of the top agencies also carry liability insurance, they are usually required to do so as a requirement of licensing in whatever country they operate in. If you are in doubt, you can always check before you book.

Clearly we are not talking about backstreet fly-by-night taxis in Haiti here, but well vetted, licensed and responsible tour operators.

I am a person that feels better using Hal excursions. That said, I don't do that many because I don't enjoy going to museums or churches. I feel that those that do the independent tours seem to think that is the only way to go and if you don't then there is something wrong with it. I think it is very rude to discuss independent tours at a meet and greet with Hal officers within earshot. Surely, this can be done more discretely.

Edited by cruz chic

Perhaps it's because the person who arranged the Meet & greet did not send the officers an invitation.. Any M & G. I've arranged I've sent a Hand written invitation to the Officers ..Normally when we board I immediately go to see the person who is handling the M & G on the ship & get the names of the Officers.. I also send the Officers a Handwritten Thank you afterward..

That's what I have done as well. I also have been known to tip the wait staff, if they are present.

This has resulted in a few little benefits to me ... I did all of this on my very first HAL cruise, and Mr Chew & I were invited to all of the Mariner events for the rest of the cruise, for all levels. And I have received flowers & chocolates from the hotel manager a few times as a thank you.

When we did a South Pacific cruise about 3 years ago, we did all Hal excursions mainly because we were unfamiliar with all those ports. We found that most the excursions Hal offered were the same as the private ones that were set up on our roll call. The interesting thing was that Hal prices were not that much different then the private tours. Personally we just felt safer dealing with Hal. Now when we do Mexico, we have been there so many times, know the area well, we usually travel on our own.

Regressing a little, I guess we've been lucky to have had a representative from Hal at most the roll calls we've attended. In fact on the last roll call we had a familiar voice on this board, Copper John.

I am a person that feels better using Hal excursions. That said, I don't do that many because I don't enjoy going to museums or churches. I feel that those that do the independent tours seem to think that is the only way to go and if you don't then there is something wrong with it. I think it is very rude to discuss independent tours at a meet and greet with Hal officers within earshot. Surely, this can be done more discretely.

Those of us that do private tours do not feel we are better than anyone else. we just prefer the smaller groups,, more flexibility, etc. It takes work and planning but if you are willing to do it, why not? Until you have done a good one you won't realize the difference. Now that being said and being a big private tour organizer most times (I also do HAL tours in some ports), I also organize meet and greets and as I posted earlier I feel strongly about discussing private tours in front of staff. I'm not talking about a couple chatting privately but about someone taking the floor. All of my meet and greet invites have an enclosure reminding our roll call that the organizers will remain behind for any questions.

Just another point - it is also rude IMO as not everyone on the roll call is doing private tours - so that is not of interest to them. So, my feeling is that the meet and greet should be focussed on that - there can be time later to talk about other things :D

That's what I have done as well. I also have been known to tip the wait staff, if they are present.

This has resulted in a few little benefits to me ... I did all of this on my very first HAL cruise, and Mr Chew & I were invited to all of the Mariner events for the rest of the cruise, for all levels. And I have received flowers & chocolates from the hotel manager a few times as a thank you.

I always do invites to the staff and thank you's as well. It's just courtesy IMO and I guess something we were all taught a long time ago. I can't say that I have garnered a lot of benefits from it, but that wasn't the purpose.

but I have been invited to a focus group and a couple of other things. I will never know if that was because of my mariner status, the meet and greet or (as they like to joke) they threw a dart. In any case life is good on board

Those of us that do private tours do not feel we are better than anyone else. we just prefer the smaller groups,, more flexibility, etc. It takes work and planning but if you are willing to do it, why not? Until you have done a good one you won't realize the difference. Now that being said and being a big private tour organizer most times (I also do HAL tours in some ports), I also organize meet and greets and as I posted earlier I feel strongly about discussing private tours in front of staff. I'm not talking about a couple chatting privately but about someone taking the floor. All of my meet and greet invites have an enclosure reminding our roll call that the organizers will remain behind for any questions.

Just another point - it is also rude IMO as not everyone on the roll call is doing private tours - so that is not of interest to them. So, my feeling is that the meet and greet should be focussed on that - there can be time later to talk about other things :D

I did not say that private tour organizers feel they are better than everyone else. Where did that come from? It's getting a bit old being blamed for things I did not say. I have been on a couple tours organized by folks on cc and they have been wonderful. That said, they have organized something totally different than Hal offers. To mirror something that Hal does already is of no interest to me. I want to do something different which usually requires a bit of imagination.

I did not say that private tour organizers feel they are better than everyone else. Where did that come from? It's getting a bit old being blamed for things I did not say. I have been on a couple tours organized by folks on cc and they have been wonderful. That said, they have organized something totally different than Hal offers. To mirror something that Hal does already is of no interest to me. I want to do something different which usually requires a bit of imagination.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post. I have bolded the part of your post that gave me that impression and that was the original post I quoted. I certainly wasn't trying to blame you for something you didn't say.

I guess I misinterpreted. Alternatively if you re-read your words you might see how they could be misconstrued.

No worries:D and smooth seas:D

I apologize if I misunderstood your post. I have bolded the part of your post that gave me that impression and that was the original post I quoted. I certainly wasn't trying to blame you for something you didn't say.

I guess I misinterpreted. Alternatively if you re-read your words you might see how they could be misconstrued.

Yes, you misinterpreted. I've read and retread my post.......I did not say that. You do not need to bold it for me. I get it. I just get tired of private tour operators trying to drill it into everyone's head that they MUST do private. When I thought of booking the Westy panama cruise I really thought it would be good to try one of "your" tours. I was very disappointed to see it was a rehash of Hal tour. Cc member nanner organized a wonderful tour in Jamaica to a lot of scenic places. I have also done another tour with another cc member. All we did is everything they wanted to do with a steep price on top of it. At least with Hal I know what I'll get. I would be happy to do another tour any time with nanner because I'm likely to get something original. That's what is important to me. There is nothing wrong with independent tours. Just don't ram them down a persons throat. It is very off putting to me.

Edited by cruz chic

A gracious apology, as we would expect from you Kazu. It's a pity that some others can't be as civil.

A gracious apology, as we would expect from you Kazu. It's a pity that some others can't be as civil.

Yes, I appreciate those who realize a gracious apology is sometimes the best way to keep discourse pleasantly moving along. :)

On the other hand, I have noticed recently that there are some posters on CC who apply the broadest possible latitude in regards to what other posters have said (and like to take them to task for days or weeks afterwards) and yet will only allow the narrowest possible interpretation of their own posts.

I have only been to two very small M&G (less than 10 people each). Both roll calls were very slow and never on either did officers or nibbles show up. We never talked about private tours but that is because, I suppose, none were organized through the roll call.

But everyone has their own sense of security, their own idea of fun and what they want to do and with whom. If HAL has a tour that we find interesting and within our price range (times 4 for us) then I have to weigh the fact that some on the excursion may be put off by having children on the bus. Believe me this is a real concern and people have been rude to Dh and I and to our children.

I have never done a private tour not organized by me so I am giving it a try on our next cruise because I have made sure ahead of time that others on the excursion know we are 4 and that includes two children. I feel more secure that way that I won't be upsetting anyone. We are looking forward to seeing a new area of the world to us and doing it both on a wonderful cruise ship and using tours that have been tailored to our likes and abilities. In many cases HAL has priced themselves out of our ability for a family of 4 to participate.

Freedom of choice is always better than feeling like that has been taken away. That is how I feel at work and not what I go on vacation for. That said, I would not think it appropriate to speak about private tours at a meet and greet and feel bad that HAL has taken notice of this being a trend. I am only looking forward to seeing people I have been "writing to" for over a year and the meet and greet and speaking about tours wouldn't enter my mind.

The person who has put in the lion's share of the work on our roll call has developed a spread sheet for everyone to use, including private tours. Nice to be able to review options and make selections.