How much would a doctor charge ?

2frenchy

Had to see the RCI Radiance ship's doctor for an ear infection and the total charge was $219 ($143 for the 'office visit, Level 3, and $76 for the prescription). We tried to make the best of it by reminding ourselves that the refund of the tour we had to cancel just about paid for the medical visit! There are 5 levels of office visits shown on the medical form, ranging from $70 to $255. A simple injection would probably be a lower level. Will your husband carry the medication for the shot with him? If not, you should contact the ship in advance and make sure they will have it available.

We're trying to get reimbursed for the medical costs - our travel insurance would cover any portion that our Medicare supplement refuses to pay - but it sure is a lot of hoops to jump through to get anything!

Can you possibly give him the injections yourself ? Not something that is really very hard to do and RCI will give you a container for the used syringes..Speak with your health care provider and start doing them yourself before the cruise so you are comfortable with it...If you need additional info contact the special needs department..

Can't you do it for him?

It is not a big deal.

I saw the nurse scolding someone on a ship because some young couple came in wanted her to do some injections for them.

She said they should be able to do it themselves.

Ships doctors are not usually willing to give shots for "pre-existing conditions". You should call the cruise line, ask to speak to the special needs department, and see what they say.

Self-injecting (or having you do it for him) really isn't that difficult. People do it all the time (diabetics, people with other conditions)...He should ask his doctor if he could, too.

A nurse traveling on a cruise ship while on vacation, I think very possibly might be unlikely to give someone a shot for potential liability issues.

I suggest you get your doctors nurse to teach you to give him the shot.

EZ.

I've given myself various allegery, vitamin, etc - whatever over the years - nothing to it. I also give my wife shots when needed.

It's really easy -

He may not be able to give it to himself if he can't reach the area easily.

Actually, it's not a bad thing to know how to do, anyhow. It's a whole lot easier to take something out of the fridge, load syringe, give shot than it is for your husband to drive to doctor, wait, get shot (sometimes have to wait after) then drive back to wherever.

I'm not a medical professional by any means, but there is no way I would give someone a shot who wasn't one of my patients except in a dire life or death emergency (Epi-Pen to combat a peanut reaction for example). The liability risk is too high.

We learned how to give insulin injections to our cat. I'm sure he would be much less squirmy and wriggly than an annoyed tom cat.

Practice before you go - we practiced in the vets office with saline to get the technique down, no problems. And the cruise line will have sharps buckets available upon request (diabetics need them).

I too used to inject our diabetic cat. It was very easy once I got the confidence to know I could do it. My daughter needed injections for a day or two after she was discharged from hospital having had a c-section. The hospital taught her husband to do it and she said he was better at it than the nurses! I'd say definitely learn how to do it yourself.

I join the chorus in saying that you might look into being instructed on giving the injections yourself. As an RN I would NOT do this for a complete stranger ( would only do it for my immediate family). If this is not something you would be willing to do, call the cruiseline and ask what the cost would be. It might be covered by your insurance also, so maybe call them and ask. Good luck!

One more suggestion: Go to your Roll Call and ask if there will be any nurses in your group. I'm sure if there is one, he or she would be happy to do this for you!

Highly unlikely as there is a serious liability issue to the nurse if something goes wrong. Also, they are vacation - why should they be giving injections to total strangers for free? I wouldn't if I were them.

While you are at it, if you use this logic and have a medical issue, you should try to find a passenger who is a doctor to save the cost of a cruise ship doctor visit.

DON

One more suggestion: Go to your Roll Call and ask if there will be any nurses in your group. I'm sure if there is one, he or she would be happy to do this for you!

I am an RN. There is no way I would give an injection to a complete stranger on a cruise ship. Any RN who would be "happy" to do this is crazy.

As a diabetic, I learned very early how to give myself injections. I'm a senior citizen and live alone, so there isn't anyone to give me my twice a day shots. So it was entirely up to me.

I guess I will have to learn to do it myself if the doctor agrees.

Will be easy, particularly if subcutaneous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subcutaneous_injection

Find some fat - pinch up a bunch and slide the needle in.

If it is one cc or less, I am using

1 cc, 1/2" length slimline needle, 30 gauge needle.

I can barely feel them.

They are marketed as "surecomfort Insulin syringes".

Note: needle size and length matter, these I just push all the way in subcut.

So, since we want your husband to like the shots you give better than the ones in the doctors office - get the smallest needle that will work.

Actually, take these specs into the doctors office with you, and ask if that is a a suitable size.

PS, when loading the syringe - if you get one that is resistant to being pushed into the vial you are loading from, and it doesn't slide into the top of the vial easily - just toss it, (before loading) odds are that the tip was blunted and that sucker is going to hurt going in.

On subcut - I believe in "slide" the needle in "push down _slowly_ on the plunger" - works for me.

Will be easy, particularly if subcutaneous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subcutaneous_injection

Find some fat - pinch up a bunch and slide the needle in.

If it is one cc or less, I am using

1 cc, 1/2" length slimline needle, 30 gauge needle.

I can barely feel them.

They are marketed as "surecomfort Insulin syringes".

Note: needle size and length matter, these I just push all the way in subcut.

So, since we want your husband to like the shots you give better than the ones in the doctors office - get the smallest needle that will work.

Actually, take these specs into the doctors office with you, and ask if that is a a suitable size.

PS, when loading the syringe - if you get one that is resistant to being pushed into the vial you are loading from, and it doesn't slide into the top of the vial easily - just toss it, (before loading) odds are that the tip was blunted and that sucker is going to hurt going in.

On subcut - I believe in "slide" the needle in "push down _slowly_ on the plunger" - works for me.

Yeah, that's pretty much all there is to it.

Archived