How do men dress on formal night?

JeanfromBNA

How do you men dress on formal nights  

233 members have voted

1. 1. How do you men dress on formal nights

• Tuxedo and accessories
    • Dark suit and accessories
    • Formal equivalent (dress uniform, kilt, other cultural)
    • Khakis and a polo shirt is as dressy as I'm going to get.

Yup. As I have never sailed on Celebrity before, I can only go by what I hear. Some people say virtually no men were wearing tuxes--some say 70-80% were wearing tuxes.

I will let y'all know what I find when I come back from my cruise next week!:D

Good. Then we can compare what you've actually seen with what we've actually seen. by the way, what is it with the Tux? The rules aren't for Tux only, and although some of us wear Tux on some/many of the cruises, I don't remember seeing any posts stating Tux were 'required' or even the norm, or even 70-80%. I suggest you look at how many Tux and suits are worn by % since that is the guidelines.

Enjoy, Den

I bet you people who are not on cruisecritic are barely even aware that there are formal nights and would therefore not be wearing tuxes!

LOL.You would lose that bet if you were foolish enough to make it.

Speak to friends who have actually sailed Celebrity.

Not long ago a long time poster Larry who sails X often posted pictures that told the true story and the Non Formals disputed it.

One Anti-Formal was so disturbed that he demanded the thread to be closed,LOL

Actually Celebrity polls are tainted by those who have never sailed Celebrity.

Most people who sai Celebrity are aware of the differences of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean

:cj

I bet you people who are not on cruisecritic are barely even aware that there are formal nights and would therefore not be wearing tuxes!

So Einstein, what did these folks do before Al Gore invented the internet?

I would like to find out how men actually dress for formal night.

For our Infinity cruise in December, I rented a tux. The percentage of men wearing tuxes was about 40%.

On the Constellation in March, I wore my dark blue suit and tie and the percentages of tuxes was about 25%

I used to wear a tux on formal nights and looked forward to sailing and wearing them. Over time, I have evolved to just a navy blue sports jacket with nice shirt/tie and 'stone' colored chinos. Kinda of a Bermuda look with long shorts. :)

I do not need any more formal pictures in a tux/formalwear nor really care about what anyone elses wears. Also, we seem to go over most airlines 50lb limit when packing more clothes/shoes specifically for formal night. Clearly there is the slippery slope here, so my qualification is within proper decoram as to what other people wear.

I do like viewing the other guys and seeing how sharp they look. I specifically enjoy the variety of ties/cumberbunds or vests. I continue to wear my tux/accessories one to two times a year, but on land only.

I had dinner in MDR on one cruise in a tux and next to me was a young man (early 20's) in a nice black T-shirt/slacks. That started me to not enjoy the formal dress of a tux/suit as much. So I guess, I can be like Obama and blame someone else for my behavior/actions. :) Yeah, it's Bush's fault, that's the ticket.:rolleyes:

Hi Folks -

I ONLY wear Tuxedos on formal night. I own 3 (and bring the one that fits on each cruise)... I just bought the 3rd one as the other two are too big!

I also only wear hand tied bow ties. None of this clip-on cheating!

Real Men wear Real Bow Ties!

Only 13 year olds (and below) and airline captains (for safety) get a pass for clip ons in our book!

If you need help, you can see:

http://youtu.be/p6oFARi_z2M or

and - for the "Playboy" version:

I also buy my bow ties at "Beau Ties of Vermont" - highly recommended!

Cheers,

Bill

Your poll didn't include blazer, slacks, tie which I wear.

I did not vote in the poll because I wear the above as well. I do not own a tux and see no reason to rent one. I have several suits, but quite frankly, they are a little snug.

Trying to rent a Tux from Celebrity's official Tux renter (cruiselineformalwear.com) I found out that Celebrity Century does not provide suspenders with their rentals. I am not a big Tux wearer, but I know I can't wear a pair of renal dress pants without suspenders. I have called twice and have been told that on that particular ship, rental suspenders are not included. :confused:

Hi Folks -

I also only wear hand tied bow ties. None of this clip-on cheating!

Real Men wear Real Bow Ties!

Only 13 year olds (and below) and airline captains (for safety) get a pass for clip ons in our book.

Cheers,

Bill

YES! And btw Guest Relations keeps a nifty little handout on how to tie a bow tie, should anyone need a refresher.

Trying to rent a Tux from Celebrity's official Tux renter (cruiselineformalwear.com) I found out that Celebrity Century does not provide suspenders with their rentals. I am not a big Tux wearer, but I know I can't wear a pair of renal dress pants without suspenders. I have called twice and have been told that on that particular ship, rental suspenders are not included. :confused:

I have a similar situation for my next cruise where I can only get a classic tux and not anyof the upgrade options (i.e. suit with vest and white jacket, etc). Tuxing it again then. Mic:D

YES! And btw Guest Relations keeps a nifty little handout on how to tie a bow tie, should anyone need a refresher.

There are links to a handout that you can print on the Beau Ties LTD site.

http://www.beautiesltd.com/category/how-to-tie-a-bow-tie-instructions

See also my post of a few days ago for more video links.

I downloaded the videos and have them on my Smart Phone and Kindle Fire for reference. Also have a printed copy of the PDF from Beau Ties that I carry with me - tho I'm getting pretty good by now, I mainly lend it out/show others, etc. ;)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Folks!

Well was trying on all my clothes yesterday and my tux didn't fit. It's too BIG!!!

So I ran off to Men's Wearhouse for a new one, got a great, elegant Calvin Klein. The good news, they're running a By One Get One sale! So I got a new Blazer too (yup, it was also too big).

If you need to do any last minute shopping - it's a good place to check.

They'll also do rush alteration (hemming, taking in, etc.) in time for the cruise.

See you all real soon!

Cheers,

Bill

I'm 41, have been cruising since I was a child. I wear a tux on formal nights. Just bought a new one for my Equinox TA last year. My best "guesstimate" is that well over 50% of the men on that particular voyage wore tuxedos. Although less seldom now than a few years ago, still find a need for it occasionally when not cruising. I think it's a good investment. This said, more and more often now I opt for a black or gray silk "straight" tie as opposed to a bow tie. I do not wear nor like patent leather shoes and instead wear a pair of black J&M wingtips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 41, have been cruising since I was a child. I wear a tux on formal nights. Just bought a new one for my Equinox TA last year. My best "guesstimate" is that well over 50% of the men on that particular voyage wore tuxedos. Although less seldom now than a few years ago, still find a need for it occasionally when not cruising. I think it's a good investment. This said, more and more often now I opt for a black or gray silk "straight" tie as opposed to a bow tie. I do not wear nor like patent leather shoes and instead wear a pair of black J&M wingtips.

Hi Brian -

I don't recall a shoe discussion anywhere in the thread, but now that you mention it. I don't bring a pair of patent leather shoes either. I just wear a shiny pair of plain dress shoes (not wing tip).

That way I only need 1 pair of general purpose dress shoes and not a pair of dress shoes AND a pair of patent leather.

Of course, as I have size 13 feet and extra pair of shoes would take a sizable chunk out of my available suitcase space. As it is, I can quite fit into a carry on size roll aboard, just because of the size of my 2 pair of packed shoes!

I take 3 pair of shoes on board:

Packed:

Sneakers

Dress Shoes

Wear:

Boat shoes (like Sperry Top Siders, my normal, day-to-day shoe)

Cheers,

Bill

Archived