Battling the bulge while cruising

jakes47

I am determined I will not return from our cruise with too much excess baggage on my person but my brother told me he gained a pound a day on his last cruise and how I am really worried that 20 days of fine food is going to shrink my clothes.:eek:

Are there bathroom scales in the PH suites on the Marina or will I have to weigh myself at the gym?

I am sure there are scales in the gym....

Some tips to help with shrinking clothes

First tip

You do not have to order everything on the menu at meal time

(we have appetizer, main & dessert)

#2 limited the trips to the milkshake counter;)

#3 walk the track or use the treadmills in the fitness centre

#4 limit the number goodies consummed at tea time (2 to 3) :D

#5 steer clear of the buffet ..too easy to load up your plate & your pants will shrink very quickly :D

Enjoy

Lyn

I am determined I will not return from our cruise with too much excess baggage on my person but my brother told me he gained a pound a day on his last cruise and how I am really worried that 20 days of fine food is going to shrink my clothes.:eek:

Are there bathroom scales in the PH suites on the Marina or will I have to weigh myself at the gym?

Good luck!

Sea days are the worst -- too much to eat and too little walking.

On O it's the incredible milkshakes and the tea that do the most damage.

I learned to avoid afternoon tea but not the milkshakes.

Personally, I am glad there are no scales in the room.

I always cruise with clothing that has elastic at the waist!

Enjoy yourself and diet afterwards.

We try to do a lot of walking/hiking in ports, always use the stairs. Avoid the panorama bus tours, where you get no exercise. We also walk for an hour most evenings on the track. It does seem like my clothes shrink after about 4-5 days but then I realize that great food will still be there tomorrow and become more discriminating. The spa menu is also great. Smaller, lighter portions. I usually choose the appetizer and/or entree from that list. And then there's the sorbets-really special. Focus on really enjoying the flavors, not on quantity. Also watch the alcohol. The all you can drink option would kill any weight management plan. On our 18 day, I gained 3 pounds. Hoping for about the same for our 21 day on Nautica in July :-)

Mary

For me, no alcohol, no desserts (other than fruit), no salad dressing, no bread & butter, very careful menu selections, limited portion size, and lots of exercise.

I lost 80 pounds a couple of years ago and find it an extremely difficult struggle to keep it off.

My close friends and neighbors are a nutritionist and a cardiologist and they tell me the secret is exercise every chance you get every day (so use those steps) and portion control. They don't avoid too many foods as moderation is key and allows for some cookies and a glass of wine sometimes. I've adopted this as my lifestyle so take Jancruz's advice! (and it helps to have great genes!)

Echo 'use the stairs'. Bonus is, you'll get places quicker instead of waiting for an elevator.

Also, walk the deck each night after dinner. Peaceful, and you allow your dinner to settle while getting some extra exercise (because this is on top of the daily workout).

On shore days, skip lunch and the snacks.

On sea days, have a very light lunch.

I find after the first 5-6 days, I don't want to eat as much and then tend to eat smaller and smaller portions. As said before, take the stairs and walk the track. You can meet some really interesting people while walking the track. I skipped the tea except for the special one and don't have to worry about milkshakes as I am allergic to milk.:D

Thank you for all your advise. I feel like I have a plan of attack now.

Luckily I don't drink alcohol and the gym, track and stairs will be a definite. We have port intensive itinerarys which is a good thing. I am not a fan of buffets and milk shakes make me nauseous so i wont miss them but tea could be a problem.

I have not heard of the spa menu but will watch out for that. I do not eat "white carbs " I.e. potatoes, rice, bread or pasta - so safe there. Fruit desserts sounds ideal if I can resist the temptation if the richer ones - I will try.

"Moderation is the key"- I'll borrow that one!

Yes - I can imagine the first few days will be the hardest when everything is new and tempting.

My husband has bought new trousers deliberately on the big side just to avoid the shrinking clothes syndrome but I refuse to surrender to it. I am determined to win the battle of the cruisers bulge!

Thank you for all your advise. I feel like I have a plan of attack now.

Luckily I don't drink alcohol and the gym, track and stairs will be a definite. We have port intensive itinerarys which is a good thing. I am not a fan of buffets and milk shakes make me nauseous so i wont miss them but tea could be a problem.

I have not heard of the spa menu but will watch out for that. I do not eat "white carbs " I.e. potatoes, rice, bread or pasta - so safe there. Fruit desserts sounds ideal if I can resist the temptation if the richer ones - I will try.

"Moderation is the key"- I'll borrow that one!

We were on Marina for 20 days in In Feb/March and I managed to gain just a pound, which was wonderful since I have a problem controlling my weight. I did drink but I enjoyed many tasty items from the spa menu when we were in the MDR. They even made cauliflower taste almost as good as mashed potatos! There is a complete diner each night with spa chices and I didn't always have all the items, but many appealed to me and were as good, if not beter sometimes than the regualr meni, IMO. I agree with the other posters - I walked the track and used the stairs most of the time and limited lunch. If I got sandwiches at Waves I just asked them to hold the bun and fries and would sometimes just put the grilled chicken on greens. In the specialty restaurants I splurged a bit, but still found good, delicious choices. I think you can find many wonderful things to eat, have some splurges and still come out okay. You are going in with a good attitude about it and that's most of the battle. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes - I can imagine the first few days will be the hardest when everything is new and tempting.

My husband has bought new trousers deliberately on the big side just to avoid the shrinking clothes syndrome but I refuse to surrender to it. I am determined to win the battle of the cruisers bulge!

Jan,

I nominate you for sainthood!!!!

LOL..thanks..we leave tomorrow for over two weeks on Viking, a week in Nice in an apartment and then join Riviera christening cruise..my Mom taught me the trick of eating half..it works (except when I get a sweet tooth) I have brought tight jeans so that helps to reminding me to keep my mouth shut..I am just concerned about being in France for almost a month with their wonderful pastries, my downfall..

Jancruz1

Like Jancruz I too only eat half when we dine out. First thing I do when my plate is delivered is to cut everything in half (that way I don't eat more than I should) and then have the rest boxed at the end of the meal for the next day!

We were on the Clipper Adventurer in the Chilean Fjords a number of years ago and there was a choice for entrees-a half portion, a full portion, or a portion and a half. I think it got bought out since then but I really liked the idea.

We were on the Clipper Adventurer in the Chilean Fjords a number of years ago and there was a choice for entrees-a half portion, a full portion, or a portion and a half. I think it got bought out since then but I really liked the idea.

You can ask for smaller portions & I am sure larger if you want

We sometimes will get an appetizer as a main

My husband and I don't eat refinded carbs - wheat, pasta, rice, potato or sugar. Looking at the menus I think we'll be fine with lots of vegetables and fish and meat etc. We are getting a cooked breakfast in our room and we don't eat dessert. Last cruise I came home the same weight but did feel horribly bloated if I overate at all.

I fully think we will eat some carbs like a little pasta and maybe a taste of dessert but overall we find this keeps our weight just right. (We eat this way because we both lost weight and we are both prediabetic).

I've been to Europe twice and I am VERY susceptible to weight gain (I always joke that I gain weight looking at food). That being said, on both trips (Italy & France), I ate WHATEVER I wanted and drank LOTS of wine and both times came back 1 lb. lighter! The secret is walking, walking and more walking. Walk everywhere you can, always take the stairs and then walk some more! This will be my plan of attack while cruising the Mediterranean onboard the Riviera in October.

I was surprised I didn't gain more than a pound or two on our last O cruise. Lots of walking in ports. While I like the croissants at breakfast, I found the desserts at dinner to be sinfully lacking (thank goodness), and I didn't eat much dessert at all. I usually slept thru milkshake time and tea time, and unfortunately, I can't drink more than a glass of wine at a meal or I fall asleep!

And I try never to eat white foods.

Yes – No white carbs is my motto also. I certainly feel more at ease hearing from those who have controlled their weight successfully while cruising.

It is amazing when you tell people you are going on a cruise they all comment of the food and weight gain – I plan on proving them wrong.

Yes – No white carbs is my motto also. I certainly feel more at ease hearing from those who have controlled their weight successfully while cruising.

It is amazing when you tell people you are going on a cruise they all comment of the food and weight gain – I plan on proving them wrong.

Exactly - control the white carbs as much as possible and walk everywhere!! I found the desserts looked better than they tasted a lot of the time so that made it easy. Not sure how I will control the pasta and pizza in Italy though before and after the cruise!!

LOL..thanks..we leave tomorrow for over two weeks on Viking, a week in Nice in an apartment and then join Riviera christening cruise..my Mom taught me the trick of eating half..it works (except when I get a sweet tooth) I have brought tight jeans so that helps to reminding me to keep my mouth shut..I am just concerned about being in France for almost a month with their wonderful pastries, my downfall..

Jancruz1

I want to see you in those tight jeans next week Jan.. and save some croissants for us!

Archived