What is a service call?

califgary

Im looking at a southern caribbean itinerary on the Maasdam and there is a 1 hr stop at Soufriere, St Lucia with the code "service call" wonder what that is? Obviously wont be able to leave the ship etc anyone have info on what this might be? thanks!

Im looking at a southern caribbean itinerary on the Maasdam and there is a 1 hr stop at Soufriere, St Lucia with the code "service call" wonder what that is? Obviously wont be able to leave the ship etc anyone have info on what this might be? thanks!

They pick up pax from a longer cross island tour and cruise near the Pitons.

ah that makes sense - so its just quick stop to pick up some folks on a tour got it. We kind of did that in Alaska at Tracey Arm about 100 of us got to leave the ship on a smaller vessel that went into Sawyer Glacier - the HAL ship left us and sailed up the coast and came back to get us when our tour was over. thanks for answering.

As stated below, yes it is to pick up passengers via tender(s) who took the HAL ONLY scenic tour via land (do not know the name of the excursion) from Castries, St Lucia to Soufrierre. This service call, from what I understand is not for any privately booked excursion.

There is ONE REALLY IMPORTANT thing to know about this Service Call....We did not know so violated the Captain's orders:eek:

The thing to know is that there are young men/boys who come up to the ship while it is stopped and start hollering at the passengers, "We dive for Dollars!!" They do this the entire time the ship is stopped and awaiting its tendering passengers. They also yell for fruit (apparently citrus and apples are extremely expensive here.

We did not know that the Captain had made an announcement telling us not to throw anything off the ship to these divers as it was dangerous to them......What can I say, it was a regular PA announcement and we were on the aft verandah, where you cannot hear the regular PA:(

Luckily, for us and the divers, no one was hit or injured and I think the young men/boys were happy.

Sorry to go on about this, over and above your question, but it needs to be known:)

Joanie

... the HAL ONLY scenic tour via land (do not know the name of the excursion) from Castries, St Lucia to Soufrierre.
When we took it, it was referred to as something like the Queen's Route, but now I believe they're calling it the World Heritage Site Route.

There is ONE REALLY IMPORTANT thing to know about this Service Call....We did not know so violated the Captain's orders:eek:

The thing to know is that there are young men/boys who come up to the ship while it is stopped and start hollering at the passengers, "We dive for Dollars!!" They do this the entire time the ship is stopped and awaiting its tendering passengers. They also yell for fruit (apparently citrus and apples are extremely expensive here.

We did not know that the Captain had made an announcement telling us not to throw anything off the ship to these divers as it was dangerous to them......What can I say, it was a regular PA announcement and we were on the aft verandah, where you cannot hear the regular PA:(

Luckily, for us and the divers, no one was hit or injured and I think the young men/boys were happy.

Sorry to go on about this, over and above your question, but it needs to be known:)

Joanie

What happened to the golden rule of cruise ships: don't throw anything overboard?!

Full disclosure: on my last cruise I threw something overboard: a friend's ashes and roses - all with HAL's permission. ;)

What happened to the golden rule of cruise ships: don't throw anything overboard?!

Full disclosure: on my last cruise I threw something overboard: a friend's ashes and roses - all with HAL's permission. ;)

That is certainly far more meaningful, Peter.

People should know better than to throw fruit overboard...It's common sense, IMO. Whether one hears the Captain's message or not.

For the OP, we have enjoyed the "Scenic Cruising" twice on the Noordam...and Captain Mateboer opened the bow for the occasion. It was really lovely.

People should know better than to throw fruit overboard...It's common sense, IMO. Whether one hears the Captain's message or not.

For the OP, we have enjoyed the "Scenic Cruising" twice on the Noordam...and Captain Mateboer opened the bow for the occasion. It was really lovely.

Archived