what's so special about Princess?

burchan

After 20 cruises in 6 years I am about to cruise with Princess for the first time. So far I have been happy with every cruise that I took but my favourite by far is Celebrity for many reasons, Quality of itinerary, fairness in pricing, value for money.

Why Princess? Their pricing is not fair. To give example a cruise on Pacific Princess from Rome to Venice for 15th October 12 nights is $1395 inside $1495 outside and $2295 balcony for US residents. For Australians prices are $2237 inside $2546 outside and $2987. For example a 12 nights Cruise from Rome to Venice in October with Celebrity is $1269 for concierge class.

The issue is not so much the price but unethical pricing in different market. It is insulting to us to be treated like this. Other cruise lines do not behave like this. It was the same when I was trying to book Princess cruise but because our Grandaughter is US resident we were able to get US resident prices. But I feel that Princess is not deserving of our business and that we should have boycotted. What is so special about Princess?

You have to look at everything when it comes to booking. First of all, the Pacific and Ocean Princess are small ships and the prices will be higher on those than say the Crown, Emerald, Grand or Caribbean which all do European cruises. Princess has some of the best itineraries that I have found and check the number of days. Are they the same for the exact same itinerary? I have always found Celebrity to be a bit more expensive than Princess unless I am on the Pacific which carries 680 passengers vs. 2500 to 3600 on Celebrity and the other ships of Princess. Also, Princess has one of the best (if not the best) repeat passenger programs.

I don't want this to sound mean, but no one is forcing you to go. Are they? I don't agree with some policies that Celebrity has and I've chosen not to book with them for now. Maybe I will in the future, but I don't care for some of their policies. Princess is a business and they can fill their cabins at a price. If people are willing to pay it I'm sure they're not going to lower those prices. As for the higher prices for non-US passengers, that does sound unfair. I'm sure you'll be motivated to find fault with them on the cruise since you feel this way. I hope you can set that aside and have fun. Princess isn't spectacular, but they offer a nice cruise experience and the small ship cruises are in demand by many.

Well, you are not the first Australian to post about Princess pricing for non-U.S. citizens. I agree that you are charged quite a bit more and it is not fair. I understand why you prefer Celebrity because of their pricing policy for Australians. If I were Australian, I think I would sail Celebrity too, at least until Princess changes their pricing policy. There may be some change on the horizon. I have heard that a number of cruiselines are moving multiple ships to Australia later this year so Princess will have some competition.

Well, you are not the first Australian to post about Princess pricing for non-U.S. citizens. I agree that you are charged quite a bit more and it is not fair. I understand why you prefer Celebrity because of their pricing policy for Australians. If I were Australian, I think I would sail Celebrity too, at least until Princess changes their pricing policy. There may be some change on the horizon. I have heard that a number of cruiselines are moving multiple ships to Australia later this year so Princess will have some competition.
I don't know enough about Celebrity but do they have a separate Australian corporation the way Princess does? I know that Princess Australia has exclusive rights to book cruises to Australian residents and they are subject to Australian laws, taxes, fees, etc. If there's no separate Celebrity corporation in Australia, they may not have to follow the same regulations. I might be off-base with these guesses but it's something to consider.

The good news is that there are choices.

I don't know enough about Celebrity but do they have a separate Australian corporation the way Princess does? I know that Princess Australia has exclusive rights to book cruises to Australian residents and they are subject to Australian laws, taxes, fees, etc. If there's no separate Celebrity corporation in Australia, they may not have to follow the same regulations. I might be off-base with these guesses but it's something to consider.

The good news is that there are choices.

Well, that would certainly explain the higher cruise fares for Australians. My understanding is that soon Australians will have many more choices due to the huge interest in cruising down under. By the end of the year, Celebrity is moving two ships to Australia (Century and Solstice), Royal Caribbean is moving two ships (Radiance and Rhapsody) and Carnival is moving Spirit to Australia. Maybe the competition will drive the prices down.

Well, that would certainly explain the higher cruise fares for Australians. My understanding is that soon Australians will have many more choices due to the huge interest in cruising down under. By the end of the year, Celebrity is moving two ships to Australia (Century and Solstice), Royal Caribbean is moving two ships (Radiance and Rhapsody) and Carnival is moving Spirit to Australia. Maybe the competition will drive the prices down.

The OP isn't talking about the cruises around australia it is the fact that Australians can't buy (without tweeking/cheating) a cabin on a US cruise (into and out of USA) for anywhere near the same price as American's pay.

If your favorite is Celebrity why would you want to cruise on Princess. The only reason we switch to RCCL (second choice by relation) is because of the itinerary we couldn't get with Celebrity. Next cruise back to Celebrity hands down. Took one trip with the other guy as a family group and did not like it. Spoiled I guess! Hope your expectations turn out to be what you think they are and the cost is worth it. Then you can return to Celebrity with your curiosity satisfied and your wallet emptied. Then again your situation is somewhat unique. Good luck and enjoy your trip no matter who it is if it is what you what to do. After all, in the end it is all about the trip!

After 20 cruises in 6 years I am about to cruise with Princess for the first time. So far I have been happy with every cruise that I took but my favourite by far is Celebrity for many reasons, Quality of itinerary, fairness in pricing, value for money.

Why Princess? Their pricing is not fair. To give example a cruise on Pacific Princess from Rome to Venice for 15th October 12 nights is $1395 inside $1495 outside and $2295 balcony for US residents. For Australians prices are $2237 inside $2546 outside and $2987. For example a 12 nights Cruise from Rome to Venice in October with Celebrity is $1269 for concierge class.

The issue is not so much the price but unethical pricing in different market. It is insulting to us to be treated like this. Other cruise lines do not behave like this. It was the same when I was trying to book Princess cruise but because our Grandaughter is US resident we were able to get US resident prices. But I feel that Princess is not deserving of our business and that we should have boycotted. What is so special about Princess?

You mentioned you've cruised for many years and specifically called out Celebrity. Despite not knowing other cruise lines you've cruised, I'll try to reply.

I've heard many times that Australians pay much more than Americans for a cruise (specifically on Princess). I can't imagine paying the cost you do. However, when I was in Australia, I bought tennis shoes at home and found them to be 3x the price (includes exchange rate) in Sydney! I was stunned! I couldn't believe the price difference. Every time I hear of an Australian paying more than a American for a cruise, I think of those shoes! Okay, apples and oranges... but are they related in that they are both fruit? I have no idea.

Every time we book a cruise we think of the price, itinerary, room, airfare, etc. Personally, we are getting a little tired of Princess. This is why are next couple of cruises are with different lines. By far, our favorite has been Regent.

I do not know all that you have to deal with booking a cruise from your country; I've only heard that it is "different." I wish you the best of luck in your decision!

Suggestions not to cruise with Princess do not answer the OP's question which simply is "Why does Princess charge so much more to Australia residents than they do for the same exact cruise to residents of other countries, in this case the USA?"

Thank you for your opinions. To be fair Princess price in Australia include port charges but still the difference is more then that. I like some of the comments: "On one is forcing you to go", "So why sail with them then",

This is not the money issue. It is what is right and fair. I will cruise Princess this time and I am sure that it will be a good cruise but I will never suport price discriminate for any reason. What is needed is not acceptance but pressure to force the change. If some can do it why not all.

I really understand your comments. We travel with Princess because we just love the feel of the ships and great 'can do' attitude, but prices for us in the UK are a lot more than our US cousins! They do have a different pricing schedule for non US residents. We even lose our deposit if we cancel before final payment which I know does not happen in the US.

Having said that we have now become canny at getting value for money from our cruises. We have a US relative and we usually book a cruise when we are staying with her at US prices.

Suggestions not to cruise with Princess do not answer the OP's question which simply is "Why does Princess charge so much more to Australia residents than they do for the same exact cruise to residents of other countries, in this case the USA?"

Actually, her question is "What's so special about Princess?" and then goes into a complaint about unfair pricing policies. None of us have the answer on the pricing policies, but she has many choices in who she spends her vacation dollars with and that's what several people have reinforced.

The OP isn't talking about the cruises around australia it is the fact that Australians can't buy (without tweeking/cheating) a cabin on a US cruise (into and out of USA) for anywhere near the same price as American's pay.

Yes, I understand the price differential thoroughly. My point was that Princess has not had much competition in the Australian market. That will change by the end of 2012 with many cruiselines basing multiple ships in Australia. Some Australians may try cruising RCI, Carnival or Celebrity for the first time because the ships will now be in Australia. If they like their cruise experience and the better cruise fares offered by other lines, then they might start choosing Celebrity, RCI, etc. when they sail outside of Australia. The end result of all this may be that Princess will have to start getting more competitive with their pricing for Australians across their fleet. Nothing drives prices down better than some healthy competition.

Yes, I understand the price differential thoroughly. My point was that Princess has not had much competition in the Australian market. That will change by the end of 2012 with many cruiselines basing multiple ships in Australia. Some Australians may try cruising RCI, Carnival or Celebrity for the first time because the ships will now be in Australia. If they like their cruise experience and the better cruise fares offered by other lines, then they might start choosing Celebrity, RCI, etc. when they sail outside of Australia. The end result of all this may be that Princess will have to start getting more competitive with their pricing for Australians across their fleet. Nothing drives prices down better than some healthy competition.

This is hopefully what will happen. HAL also charges one rate for Americans and others. Don't know why Princess maintains such a high differential.

I can't comment about geographical pricing, but IMHO the question about why Princess is special and more expensive comes down to two things.

1) They offer a style and amenities that whether real or imagined is precieved to justify that price

2) Supply / demand of 1) In the end if the price higher and sell out it matters little what you think, the market has spoken and they can sell at that so enough people value it.

If you see firesale prices close to selling than the market can't support price differential between other lines.

Thank you for your opinions. To be fair Princess price in Australia include port charges but still the difference is more then that. I like some of the comments: "On one is forcing you to go", "So why sail with them then",

This is not the money issue. It is what is right and fair. I will cruise Princess this time and I am sure that it will be a good cruise but I will never suport price discriminate for any reason. What is needed is not acceptance but pressure to force the change. If some can do it why not all.

Yeah, I get it about this being fair in pricing, but I think the comments of 'why sail with them' are still valid. I'm guessing here - correct me if I'm wrong - that you're wondering whether there's something that makes Princess that much better that justifies the higher price. If you're looking for something extra special like that, that you don't get on Celebrity, I think you may end of disappointed and had wished you just stuck with Celebrity in the end. For me personally, I would never pay more like that for a different line if they both have comparable itineraries. But hey, that's me.

Your question was.. What's so special about Princess? I said no one is forcing you to go. I also answered your question that Princess isn't that spectacular. I love Princess, but it's not all that much better than other similar lines. I don't know about pricing and I don't have an answer for you on that. I can say that I wouldn't go if the pricing seemed unfair to me. I'd let my money do the talking. Actually, good luck to you on your mission if you can get a lot of support. Princess is purchasing new balcony furniture for Caribe cabins because people on CC put up a stink. Some of us have had a mission to rally up support because Princess has poor beds and they are finally bringing pillowtops to the ships. Stick by your point and maybe they'll listen.

Many of the lines are very similar to be quiet honest. We have cruised Princess, Celebrity, HAL, RCCL, Crystal, NCL and Cunard, along with a few other lines that are not around any more. We will be on our 21st cruise with Princess in September.

While we tend to do more cruises on Princess, we always look at our options before booking. We are going to the Middle East in 2013, we found the best price on NCL, so we booked it. We have not been on NCL in 10 years but their prices was 1/2 what Princess wants and 3/4 of what HAL was asking for a similar cruise. By the time you add cruise, air, expenses on and off the ship, we are talking about a $10,000 cruise. We have done the intinerary before on Princess, HAL, Crystal, and Celebrity, so a good price was very attractive to us.

We find Celebrity is more hype then reality. Food and entertainment are uneven. On our last Celebrity cruise we booked Aqua class and eat in BLU. We did not think it was outstanding, it was okay. We are just as satisifed with the buffet.

We cruised Crystal years ago, paid a top price and did not think it was worth it. Never went again.

Decide what is important to you, go with it.

As repeat passengers on Princess we get a lot of value. But even so, double the price was not worth it to us, so we booked NCL.

Archived