Having no self serve laundry on RCI sucks!

oz5

Perhaps apropos is the old saying "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in any unscientific poll posted on Cruise Critic.:)

We're not talking pie in the sky wishes here. Many other cruiselines have self service laundries - from mass market to luxury.

The poll is obviously "unscientific". It certainly does however, give an indication of what is wanted.

for all uk cc out there,

the legend "SIR JIMMY SAVILLE" only took one pair undies on a cruise with him washed them on a night ,dry for next day ,hey who needs more ......

my hero:)

LOL. I went on a two week bus tour in Europe a few years ago. One guy wore the same clothes every day. (No wonder he was divorced and traveling alone!)

We may be reduced to something approaching that, given no laundries, and being gone from home thirty days on our upcoming trip which begins with a transatlantic on the Jewel. One way or the other we will have to find a laundry and lose the time to do so as we are only allowed one suitcase on the land tour we've chosen.

For those who have used a laundromat on a cruise ship I just have to ask... Don't they get overcrowded with so many passengers on board?

At peak times, yes. I start very early in the a.m. on a sea day and am finished before most get ready to start.

We're not talking pie in the sky wishes here. Many other cruiselines have self service laundries - from mass market to luxury.

The poll is obviously "unscientific". It certainly does however, give an indication of what is wanted.

It is "pie in the sky" if the chances of it being changed are almost negligible and since the poll is unscientific it doesn't indicate just how many passengers really want the self-serve laundries. Does the number of posters who have indicated it is their biggest wish or does it simply represent a relatively small but vocal number of cruisers? Those polls don't answer that question but even if they did, the cruiseline is no doubt aware of how their passengers feel about the topic and yet it still feels that the negatives far outweigh the positives of changing their position.

We can argue the relative merits of our positions until the cows come home, but that probably won't alter the fact that RCI, Celebrity and NCL don't see any real financial incentive to alter their position.

It is "pie in the sky" if the chances of it being changed are almost negligible and since the poll is unscientific it doesn't indicate just how many passengers really want the self-serve laundries. Does the number of posters who have indicated it is their biggest wish or does it simply represent a relatively small but vocal number of cruisers? Those polls don't answer that question but even if they did, the cruiseline is no doubt aware of how their passengers feel about the topic and yet it still feels that the negatives far outweigh the positives of changing their position.

We can argue the relative merits of our positions until the cows come home, but that probably won't alter the fact that RCI, Celebrity and NCL don't see any real financial incentive to alter their position.

Best for us to agree to disagree. I still maintain that change is inevitable. What is relevant today may not be so relevant tomorrow.

Neither you nor I have a direct line to cruiseline policy hence we do not know what their future thinking is on this.

The fact that self service laundries exist on other cruiselines be they mass market or luxury as well as on many land based resorts be they mass market or luxury clearly indicates that they are not a fleeting and rare occurrence.

Once again, time will tell.

LOL. I went on a two week bus tour in Europe a few years ago. One guy wore the same clothes every day. (No wonder he was divorced and traveling alone!)

We may be reduced to something approaching that, given no laundries, and being gone from home thirty days on our upcoming trip which begins with a transatlantic on the Jewel. One way or the other we will have to find a laundry and lose the time to do so as we are only allowed one suitcase on the land tour we've chosen.

We were gone from home for 4 months last year, and were never reduced to wearing the same clothes every day. We were only allowed one suitcase each, too.

We hand-washed underwear each day and used the ship's laundry service, so that we left each cruise with clean clothes. Yes, we found a laundromat a couple of times, and we did one load of washing while staying with family.

We arrived home with most clothes already clean.

As reading this post, all I can think of is:

All the people who will never sail RCI again because:

A) No self laundry

B) No bringing liquor on board

C) Dress code in MDR

D) Food quality in MDR

E) Declining C&A benefits

The list goes on and on....

Sure are a lot of unhappy cruisers on these ships.

And yet, the ships keep getting sold out.

For those who have used a laundromat on a cruise ship I just have to ask... Don't they get overcrowded with so many passengers on board?

It can, especially towards the end of a cruise. If you're not there to remove your load when it's done drying or even washing, another pax might do it for you, and just leave it lying wherever.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

A) No self laundry

C) Dress code in MDR

D) Food quality in MDR

This, for the most part, is an extreme. The majority of people who have some sort of issue don't say that they will never sail RCI again nor does it make them unhappy cruisers. They simply state what their gripe is and how they would like to see it remedied. People, in general, don't make drastic changes over one issue unless it has a major impact on the cruise experience. When that cruise experience becomes unacceptable then people, or at least I, will change cruise lines but not until that level is reached. Laundry, or not, RCI provides a product that I very much enjoy.

There is nothing wrong with people stating what they don't like or how some change might improve their cruise experience. That does not equate to being an unhappy cruiser.

Well-all I can say is I sure do wish this new 'Sunshine class' would add a few self serve washers!! :p

I love how most folks that don't want the machines spout some cost effective for the company mumbo jumbo!! :rolleyes: There are plenty of things that cost the company money but yet they do these things or have these options becuse people keep coming back for them. not one person on this thread really knows the reason why there are none on this line so most are just speculating.

It's just a simple discussion how it seems many folks would love to see them. Some people don't mind doing laundry. For those who don't-fine but why preach to those who don't mind doing a few loads?? :confused:

It can, especially towards the end of a cruise. If you're not there to remove your load when it's done drying or even washing, another pax might do it for you, and just leave it lying wherever.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Yes, if people leave their clothes in the dryer and the dryer has stopped, often they will find their clothes on top of the dryer. I don't think that is being discourteous of the person that puts the clothes on top. People doing laundry should try to get back by the end of the dry cycle(and wash cycle as well) because others need the machines, especially on sea days. This is more true for cruises well over a week. I will get up early on a sea day and put the clothes in the washer and get some breakfast and then head back after breakfast for the dry cycle. It detracts very little from my day.

I haven't seen anyone write that no self serve laundry would stop them from cruising on RCI. It makes little to no difference forums on a 7-day cruise, which reflect most of RCI's itineraries.

We've never found the Princess laundry rooms crowded at all. In fact, I laughingly told my husband that's where all the action is. People are ironing, some folding, some are sorting clothes for the washer while others sit in chairs waiting for their clothes in the dryers. It's always friendly, lively fun conversation. And, I am not a big fan of laundry.

We do get two free bags on RCI - "all you can stuff in" - however, the last time the right brands were returned but wrong sizes. Same with our children and grandchildren. It's a two day service so if you're on a 7-day cruise, it's not much help. (Ex: Leave for attendant early Wednesday and it's returned Friday at dinner time.) I sent a white ladies nylon Columbia shirt to be cleaned and it came back with a hole the shape of an iron. That was so many years ago and I wasn't thinking when I sent it out for cleaning.

A Vietnamese brought it to our door saying he'd pay for it. It would have come out of his own pocket. Of course, we refused and said "that's okay."

It does seem to me that RCI could dedicate on interior stateroom per deck to laundry facilities following the lead of the other cruise lines.

A) No self laundry

C) Dress code in MDR

D) Food quality in MDR

We still enjoy RC but here is one more you can add to your list.

Just got off Mariner and during our dinner in which lobster was served

our waiter told us that after Mariners next cruise and dry dock they are going to be charging for lobster when they return from Europe.

We enjoy lobster, probably won't be a deal breaker but just more

nickle and dime things being added. Why not just build it into the price

of the cruise

Archived