Having no self serve laundry on RCI sucks!

oz5

Packing for 5 people over 7 nights is a chore. Flying suite cases is costly. We are driving distance and just got off a 9 night cruise with 5 in our group. We did laundry for days when we returned. It would be nice to have a CHOICE. We love RC, we love cruising. . . No way we could have sent off that much laundry to be done. It was 12 plus loads! Those bags don't hold one load. With kids it is hard to get them to wear again. Ice cream and food tend to end up on their clothes. You are lucky to get a 2nd wear out of a pair of shorts with kids.

Kelly

The point is, there isn't self-serve laundry on RCI. If you need to do laundry, find a cruise line that has one. The vast majority of people on cruises that have laundry rooms never set foot in them. It's really the minority that want to do laundry on vacation. I've done 15 days in Europe without using a washer/dryer. We rinsed out undies and mixed and matched clothes without any issues.

I understand what the point is. The OP made the point very well. Nobody WANTS to do laundry on vacation. I also don't want to pack 18 days worth of clothes on our pre-cruise and cruise 18 day vacation in Paris and British Isles. I also don't want to pack Woolite and wash underwear in a sink. If we were to do a long one on RCI or a line without self serve machines, I would add $150 to the price of my cruise and figure my cruise is costing me that much more. It's not a deal killer. But it's a factor. There are many factors we consider in choosing a particular cruise line and ship for each vacation. This just happens to be one of those factors that is a plus for Princess.

"Hi Honey, big surprise!! I booked a cruise, just becuase I love you!!!!"

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! While I am up on the pool deck, I need you to go wash out my underwear! Ain't it gonna be fun!

Now, if I could only find a way for you to clean the cabin and cook the meals it will be just like home!!!!!

I am gonna have such a good time!

and be sure to duck, as the frying pan comes whirling through the air!

It always amazes me that every time this subject comes up there are those who have to say that they would not want to see laundries on the ships as they would never do laundry on vacation. You might think that one would be forced to use them if they were there. These same people also have no problem telling others to wash their clothes out in the sink as if, somehow, standing in a 3' by 3' bathroom washing clothes is somehow better than actually doing laundry in a machine while on vacation.

I'm a runner. I'd love to go dump my running stuff into a washing machine during the week. And those of you who would never step foot in a laundry room while on vacation can stay out.

Regardless of personal preferences, the important thing to realize is that RCI (and Celebrity and NCL and perhaps several others) has weighed the pros and cons of offering self-service laundries and has decided not to do so.

It's hardly about being "too good" to do laundry. It's about being on vacation from my real life. Real life includes doing laundry.

This whole thread has had me shaking my head and laughing at the same time. The fastest way to wear out clothes is to launder them too often, especially in commercial washers and dryers. They are extremely hard on clothing.

:confused:

I am wondering how you think the cruiseline launders them? Do you think they don't place your clothes in a commercial washer and dryer? Do you think there is a crew member who hand washes your clothing and dries it on a line in a designated open deck area?

Regardless of personal preferences, the important thing to realize is that RCI (and Celebrity and NCL and perhaps several others) has weighed the pros and cons of offering self-service laundries and has decided not to do so.

Your argument is getting tired.

Do you think that decisions are made and then cast in concrete forevermore? The world is continually changing.

You may think that the cruiselines you mention will never change their policy on this, but only time will tell. Change is inevitable! And yes, I too, don't see laundry rooms in the next 5 years even; but after that...let's see.

Your argument is getting tired.

Do you think that decisions are made and then cast in concrete forevermore? The world is continually changing.

You may think that the cruiselines you mention will never change their policy on this, but only time will tell. Change is inevitable! And yes, I too, don't see laundry rooms in the next 5 years even; but after that...let's see.

Nobody said it´s a decision for eternity. We are discussing present times and for now there´s no ship in the RCI fleet having self service laundries. You might not want to hear it, but there´s people seeing the reasoning behind this.

I have no problem with RCI deciding not to put self serve laundries on the ships and I understand why they don't. I do have an issue with people saying they are glad they are not there because they don't want to use it and then tell everyone else to go wash stuff in the sink. The ships are all loaded with stuff that not everyone uses but I suspect that all of the areas get used. The rockwalls and flowriders are examples. I get a little tired of the attitude around here that if it doesn't affect me then I don't care about it and those who do care, or are affected, can just suck it up or find another cruise line.

Nobody said it´s a decision for eternity. We are discussing present times and for now there´s no ship in the RCI fleet having self service laundries. You might not want to hear it, but there´s people seeing the reasoning behind this.

Have you cared to read the title of this thread: "Having no self service laundry on RCI sucks".

YOU might not like to hear it, but that is what the OP posted about. This is the topic the OP wanted to discuss. Comments like: "that's the way it is, always done like that, won't change, don't hold your breath" blah blah blah are very old fashioned and monotonous. I can't bear imagining what the world would look like if everyone just went with the status quo.

It's vacation and I don't want to do something I normally do while on a vacation. That being said, if there are people who enjoy doing laundry while on vacation, that's their choice. We have been on anywhere from 7 to 14 night cruises. On our first with our 3 sons, we went for 11 days. It was before the airlines were charging for luggage, but we also drove to our port of call. We brought home unused clean clothes as we had overpacked. The next ones were 9 nighters, again within driving distance. We eliminated some extra clothes. Yes, it takes all day to do laundry for 5 people after an 11 or 9 night cruise, but I enjoy having those days to not do what I normally do in my regular life. We have used the ships stuuf a bag laundry special recently and found that for underwear, socks and t-shirts, it is fine. Makes not having to pack quite as much. We use our clothes (not underwear or socks) more than once on cruises. Dinner clothes can be worn for at least 2 nights each - pants for 3 nights. We aren't in them that long and have just showered before putting them on. So long as we don't spill anything, we're fine.

Have you cared to read the title of this thread: "Having no self service laundry on RCI sucks".

YOU might not like to hear it, but that is what the OP posted about. This is the topic the OP wanted to discuss. Comments like: "that's the way it is, always done like that, won't change, don't hold your breath" blah blah blah are very old fashioned and monotonous. I can't bear imagining what the world would look like if everyone just went with the status quo.

I have no problem with the OP´s opinion, and just as the OP and others voice theirs, I voice mine.

Yep I don´t use it and therefore don´t think they are needed. But actually the reasoning because I think it´s a good thing to not have them is they will cost the cruiseline money and that money is coming out of my cruise fare and can´t be given to me as dividend.

I have no problem with the OP´s opinion, and just as the OP and others voice theirs, I voice mine.

Yep I don´t use it and therefore don´t think they are needed. But actually the reasoning because I think it´s a good thing to not have them is they will cost the cruiseline money and that money is coming out of my cruise fare and can´t be given to me as dividend.

That is exactly what we are doing - giving our opinions. To say that the status quo (ie no laundries) is the way it will stay and is the right way for evermore is what I don't agree with.

Time will tell.

That is exactly what we are doing - giving our opinions. To say that the status quo (ie no laundries) is the way it will stay and is the right way for evermore is what I don't agree with.

Time will tell.

No need to agree with it, just put your big boy panties on and live with it.:p

:confused:

I am wondering how you think the cruiseline launders them? Do you think they don't place your clothes in a commercial washer and dryer? Do you think there is a crew member who hand washes your clothing and dries it on a line in a designated open deck area?

Not sure what the point of this comment is. We know they use commercial washers and dryers.:confused:

Time will tell.

You may not agree but the likelihood of the status quo changing in this situation is slim or none. Each individual has to decide whether or not this is the right way, but none of the lines that either do not have self-serve laundries or that had them and subsequently removed them, had given any evidence that they are reconsidering their position, so my money remains on things remaining unchanged. If having a self-serve laundry is essential on your cruise, I recommend booking some other line that offers this amenity. I definitely wouldn't recommend waiting for RCI to change its position.:)

I have no problem with RCI deciding not to put self serve laundries on the ships and I understand why they don't. I do have an issue with people saying they are glad they are not there because they don't want to use it and then tell everyone else to go wash stuff in the sink. The ships are all loaded with stuff that not everyone uses but I suspect that all of the areas get used. The rockwalls and flowriders are examples. I get a little tired of the attitude around here that if it doesn't affect me then I don't care about it and those who do care, or are affected, can just suck it up or find another cruise line.

The responses you cite may sound a bit cavalier but pretty much describe how many people feel about the topic and certainly are hardly more objectionable than the title of this thread which is the opinion of the OP but is unlikely to change RCI's decision. What alternative advice would you give to anyone who is troubled by RCI's policy about self-service laundries? Seems to me that "suck it up or find another cruise line", while it may be phrased a bit indelicately, pretty much sums up their options.

You may not agree but the likelihood of the status quo changing in this situation is slim or none. Each individual has to decide whether or not this is the right way, but none of the lines that either do not have self-serve laundries or that had them and subsequently removed them, had given any evidence that they are reconsidering their position, so my money remains on things remaining unchanged. If having a self-serve laundry is essential on your cruise, I recommend booking some other line that offers this amenity. I definitely wouldn't recommend waiting for RCI to change its position.:)

It's not essential - it's a nice to have. As I mentioned before, when someone posted a thread on the Celebrity Board asking what they would most like Celebrity to have that other cruiselines have, the number one request was a self service laundry.

RCI may/may not take notice. Time will tell.

I agree. If RCI was to put in self serve laundries something would have to go. I don't see them converting cabins or other existing money making areas of the ship to allow passengers to save a few $$ by washing their own clothes. Will new ships have a laundry built in, maybe but I still doubt it. It all comes down to how much money they can make for each square foot on the ship and laundries aren't it. Almost all sailing on RCI sail full so I don't see it hurting them any not having them.

Personally I am in the camp of not wanting to spend my vacation time doing my laundry and yes I have sailed with kids. We did a 14 day trip last year (7 on land and 7 on sea) and did one $20 bag on the ship for the necessities. Oh and by the way this was in Europe so packing had to be well planned. We still actually came home with some items we never used, not as many as a normal 7 day trip, but we did have some. It just takes a bit of planning.

It's not essential - it's a nice to have. As I mentioned before, when someone posted a thread on the Celebrity Board asking what they would most like Celebrity to have that other cruiselines have, the number one request was a self service laundry.

RCI may/may not take notice. Time will tell.

Perhaps apropos is the old saying "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in any unscientific poll posted on Cruise Critic.:)

OK, so I'm picturing this scenario: We're nearing the end of a lovely cruise. It's a sea day morning and we've slept in late. We are enjoying brunch on our warm and sunny balcony. I look lovingly into my wife's eyes and say, "You know honey, everyone was noticing that Hawiian shirt I wore on the first formal night. I think I want to wear it again for tonight's formal dinner. Do you think you could run a load of laundry this afternoon while I sit by the pool?":p

As far as I'm concerned, self-service laundry is a formula for marital discord and disaster. It's another landmine to be avoided at all costs.:D

Archived