Having no self serve laundry on RCI sucks!

oz5

I can think of better things to do than laundry on a vacation too, but people travelling across the world to go on a cruise do have to do laundry at some stage of their journey. And the length of time in travelling rather excludes the ability to plan properly. If NcL removed their laundries then it is all about costs and not about customer requirements.

That´s what Bill said. It´s about the money as is the entire business world.

People have to stop thinking the cruise industry is about customer requirements or customer satisfaction.

The cruise industry is just like any other industry in the world only about money! If it´s not about money it´s a charity and not a business.

Nobody runs a company for any other reason than to make money with it.

Of course any company needs to satisfy their customers to make money, but the customer satisfaction is a merely tool to make money and not the primary goal of a business - even though some businesses are doing a good job in telling their customers it´s all about them;).

If any cruiseline thinks it benefits them to have them, they will install them, if they think they can make more money otherwise they will not have them. It´s only about money.

Or you can do as one poster on a thread (not this one) said she did. Bring laundry detergent, Wash and rise your clothes in the tub and then bring bungee cords and string them across your balcony and dry them there. One can only hope that her balcony was not on the dock side of the ports they visited!

As it´s not allowed due to safety regulations, it´s unlikely this will happen very often. As soon as observed by the ships officers it will be taken care of.

People have to stop thinking the cruise industry is about customer requirements or customer satisfaction.

The cruise industry is just like any other industry in the world only about money! If it´s not about money it´s a charity and not a business.

Our business is about making money but if we dont satisfy our customers then we won't have a business for long.

Of course any company needs to satisfy their customers to make money, but the customer satisfaction is a merely tool to make money and not the primary goal of a business - even though some businesses are doing a good job in telling their customers it´s all about them;).

If any cruiseline thinks it benefits them to have them, they will install them, if they think they can make more money otherwise they will not have them. It´s only about money.[/QUOT

Couldn't disagree more. Customer service and satisfaction is everything in a service industry. RCI would be wise to listen to its customers on matters of convenience. I'm guessing that those that receive free laundry and pressing due to their status are not bothered in the least by not having laundries on board. For me, its a matter of convenience.

And for the posters that are harping about fire hazards, I don't buy it. I completely understand the no iron in the cabin rule. But if Princess can have washers, dryers, and irons in a secure area on every other deck without incident that tells me it is very doable, even for RCI.

Our business is about making money but if we dont satisfy our customers then we won't have a business for long.

I think that´s what I said (and you didn´t include in the quote).

If any cruiseline thinks it benefits them to have them, they will install them, if they think they can make more money otherwise they will not have them. It´s only about money.

As soon as any cruiseline thinks they lose more money for not having slef serve laundry facilities than they cost them, be sure they will install them.

Until then, some will ahve them, some not. It´s our choice as customers to make our decision if it´s important enough for us to base our decisions on it.

Couldn't disagree more. Customer service and satisfaction is everything in a service industry. RCI would be wise to listen to its customers on matters of convenience. I'm guessing that those that receive free laundry and pressing due to their status are not bothered in the least by not having laundries on board. For me, its a matter of convenience.

And for the posters that are harping about fire hazards, please spare me. I completely understand the no iron in the cabin rule. But if Princess can have washers, studded, and irons in a secure area on every other deck without incident that tells me it is very doable, even for RCI.

It´s certainly ok to disagree about it. That´s what happens in a free world, people disagree on topics. Even though IMO you view is naive, I accept it. Afterall it´s not mine or your decision anyway and the executives that run the cruiselines will do what they think is the best to please their - nope not customers - stockholders.

Oh btw I´m D+ and never even use any laundry coupons, I just don´t need laundry having done paid or not paid for. Dry cleaning - yes, it´s less expensive onboard than at home, so I have it done on the ship.

I agree on one point with you though. It´s not about fire hazard. Other cruise lines have such rooms as well. Having seen those rooms on Princess, Cunard, .... I have to say they are - and probably need to be - especially equipped. There´s no flamable material in there at all. The walls and ceilings are stainless steel and floors are tiles. They are also specially monitored. All this cost money btw.

We're really arguing about laundry rooms on cruise ships? LOL

They offer what they offer, people purchase their cruise and have a choice. The last few years all you ever hear is how everything has to be changed for "ME", why? As I've said in the past, vote with your feet if it means that much to you to do laundry on a cruise/vacation.

Some people won't be happy til a cruise ship is just like home. We cruise for something different than home and a break from what we have to do at home. Except at home I don't have to share a washer and dryer with strangers. I have my own personal ones and know what's been washed in them.

Why are some treating it like a civil right? BTW, it's not.

As a matter of interest, a couple of weeks ago, someone started a thread on the Celebrity board entitled:

Things you like on other lines that you would like to see Celebrity do.

The number one thing that CC members mentioned they would like is a self service laundry. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1600619

We're really arguing about laundry rooms on cruise ships? LOL

They offer what they offer, people purchase their cruise and have a choice. The last few years all you ever hear is how everything has to be changed for "ME", why? As I've said in the past, vote with your feet if it means that much to you to do laundry on a cruise/vacation.

Some people won't be happy til a cruise ship is just like home. We cruise for something different than home and a break from what we have to do at home. Except at home I don't have to share a washer and dryer with strangers. I have my own personal ones and know what's been washed in them.

Why are some treating it like a civil right? BTW, it's not.

Nobody suggested that it's a civil right. It was only suggested that it's a nice option on other cruise lines. Our cruise vacation is 17 days in Europe this summer. Laundry will be needed to be done. It's not the only reason that we are doing this cruise on Princess. But it is a factor. On a seven day Caribbean cruise and being away for eight days, it's not an important factor. My vacation is about ME. Who else should it be about? We choose the best line, the best ship for US for each cruise.

Just because you are on RC does not mean you are " too good" to do laundry.

It's not like you are out & about, busy or relaxing 24/7 that you can't take 1 hour from the entire week to wash a load.

Clean clothes are an essential part of many peoples lives.

RC should get with the program..

Don't hold your breath. This debate has been going on for years and there is no indication whatsoever that things will change at RCI or any of the several other lines that do not offer self-service laundries. And for some of us at least, it is still more convenient and not unreasonably expensive to pay for laundry service rather than take even one hour out of our vacation to do laundry. No one said that they were "too good" to do laundry, only that it was so low on their list of priority activities while on vacation that the absence of the laundries was inconsequential in choosing a cruise line or cruiseship.

As a matter of interest, a couple of weeks ago, someone started a thread on the Celebrity board entitled:

Things you like on other lines that you would like to see Celebrity do.

The number one thing that CC members mentioned they would like is a self service laundry. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1600619

No one can deny that there is a certain segment of the CC community that wishes that there were self-serve laundries on all cruise ships. Whether or not this is simply a vocal minority is open to debate, but it seems obvious that there is not sufficient support for this option to cause RCI, Celebrity, NCL or whatever other lines don't offer these facilities to change their policy. Cruiselines certainly care about the preferences expressed by their passengers and will establish policies that are designed to reflect those preferences, BUT only when it also makes good business sense to do so.

The lines which do not offer a self-service laundry and perhaps especially lines like NCL which once did offer them but have since removed them, have clearly indicated that it was more economically practical to do without them. Don't expect things to change anytime soon.

Don't hold your breath. This debate has been going on for years and there is no indication whatsoever that things will change at RCI

No one said that they were "too good" to do laundry.

I don't think they ever will install washers & dryers, I just think they should have that option if people wanted too.

About the "too good" reference, I only use that line because it has been the topic numerous times and some peoples responses have come across like it is beneath them to do laundry because they are "on vacation"..

Nobody suggested that it's a civil right. It was only suggested that it's a nice option on other cruise lines. Our cruise vacation is 17 days in Europe this summer. Laundry will be needed to be done. It's not the only reason that we are doing this cruise on Princess. But it is a factor. On a seven day Caribbean cruise and being away for eight days, it's not an important factor. My vacation is about ME. Who else should it be about? We choose the best line, the best ship for US for each cruise.

The point is, there isn't self-serve laundry on RCI. If you need to do laundry, find a cruise line that has one. The vast majority of people on cruises that have laundry rooms never set foot in them. It's really the minority that want to do laundry on vacation. I've done 15 days in Europe without using a washer/dryer. We rinsed out undies and mixed and matched clothes without any issues.

I don't think they ever will install washers & dryers, I just think they should have that option if people wanted too.

About the "too good" reference, I only use that line because it has been the topic numerous times and some peoples responses have come across like it is beneath them to do laundry because they are "on vacation"..

It's hardly about being "too good" to do laundry. It's about being on vacation from my real life. Real life includes doing laundry.

This whole thread has had me shaking my head and laughing at the same time. The fastest way to wear out clothes is to launder them too often, especially in commercial washers and dryers. They are extremely hard on clothing.

The point is, there isn't self-serve laundry on RCI. If you need to do laundry, find a cruise line that has one. The vast majority of people on cruises that have laundry rooms never set foot in them. It's really the minority that want to do laundry on vacation. I've done 15 days in Europe without using a washer/dryer. We rinsed out undies and mixed and matched clothes without any issues.

And you know this how???? Are you monitoring the laundry rooms on every deck during your vacation? Honestly it's fine to have different opinions on a topic, but to make such a blatant statement that happens to coincide with your philosophy on doing laundry on vacation is just silly:rolleyes:

And you know this how???? Are you monitoring the laundry rooms on every deck during your vacation? Honestly it's fine to have different opinions on a topic, but to make such a blatant statement that happens to coincide with your philosophy on doing laundry on vacation is just silly:rolleyes:

It's just silly that it bothers you so much.:rolleyes:

The whole argument is really silly. Why doesn't someone do a poll?

This whole argument IS really silly. If an on board laundromat is that important

to you then choose a line that has one. What really surprises me is people talking about washing their undies in the sink and such....... Really:eek:

You may be surprised with what you could stuff in those little bags!
I'd love to have laundry facilities esp. when we travel with children and young grandchildren. My husband and I each get a coupon for one free bag of laundry. Last December, we left the bags for our room attendant on a Wednesday and it was not returned until he made his rounds late Friday. It's now a 2-day service. (At least, it was for us.) And, yes, we left the bags out first thing Wednesday morning when we left on our excursion. My daughter and I had both purchased fairly new and fairly expensive underwear. While the correct brand was returned, the sizes were wrong and that wasn't discovered until we got home. Having laundry facilities is a huge plus on Princess.

It's just silly that it bothers you so much.:rolleyes:

The whole argument is really silly. Why doesn't someone do a poll?

ok lets have a poll,

how many undies do you take on a 7 day cruise....

4,1 and wash them in the sink everyday:)

I´ve never cruised less than a week and most of my cruises are over two weeks with added pre and post cruise parts. So I´m usually travelling anywhere between 3-4 weeks total per trip. I´ve never needed laundry on any of those trips, be it ashore or onboard.

You travel for a month and don't need to do laundry? Oh my...

The 3 cruises we've been on we had to do laundry every 1-4 days. Access to low-cost laundry is a factor in picking a cruise as well. This is something to keep in mind as we decide on our next trip, Royal Caribbean being one of the potential cruises.

I only used the ships laundry service once. I think it was on HAL. THe commercial laundries on these ships only have one dryer heat and that is "FRY". My cotton tops and bottoms came back shrunk so badly my at the time 5 year old could have worn them. Never, Never again would I give my laundry to the ship's laundry service

Have sailed for many years with only RCI..so I never thought having a self-service laundry was a big deal...after all who wants to do laundry on a cruise...Well after just recently sailing with PCL for the first time I went in to see one of these laundry rooms for myself...WOW..I just wish I would have had some laundry or ironing to do...This would be a great feature for RCI to have...:)

I doubt that I would ever use laundry facilities on a 7 day trip, but it was great to have on a 14 night trip through the Panama Canal.

Since I have been waiting so long for the 2013 TA cruises to be announced on Royal, I went over and checked out Azamara. It turns out their ships have self service Laundry facilities.

I am sure that Royal considered it, especially while building Freedom Class and Oasis Class, but made a corporate decision against it.

It always amazes me that every time this subject comes up there are those who have to say that they would not want to see laundries on the ships as they would never do laundry on vacation. You might think that one would be forced to use them if they were there. These same people also have no problem telling others to wash their clothes out in the sink as if, somehow, standing in a 3' by 3' bathroom washing clothes is somehow better than actually doing laundry in a machine while on vacation.

I'm a runner. I'd love to go dump my running stuff into a washing machine during the week. And those of you who would never step foot in a laundry room while on vacation can stay out.

Archived