Advance planning - when to contact tour operators for 2013 SPB

I just booked an August 2013 Baltic cruise, and of course I have started my research on tours for St Petersburg - this board is awesome! Looking at all the options so I can figure out exactly what I want to do for my 2 days.

When can I start to contact the operators about booking a 2013 tour? At the end of the 2012 cruise season? Or early 2013?

I just booked an August 2013 Baltic cruise, and of course I have started my research on tours for St Petersburg - this board is awesome! Looking at all the options so I can figure out exactly what I want to do for my 2 days. When can I start to contact the operators about booking a 2013 tour? At the end of the 2012 cruise season? Or early 2013?

Agree that late 2012 (Nov. or Dec.) or early (Jan.) time periods would be good to write several of the major firms. Right now the guides and operators in St. Petersburg are focused on preparing for the busy late May through early September period.

When you contact them, be sure to let them know your personal interests, travel style, etc., etc. How much for history, culture, architecture, shopping, etc.?? Ideally, you want a tour that is "custom" and personal for your needs and interests.

Keep up the good planning and posting on these boards. Don’t be shy!! The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,115 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,588 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I just booked an August 2013 Baltic cruise, and of course I have started my research on tours for St Petersburg - this board is awesome! Looking at all the options so I can figure out exactly what I want to do for my 2 days.

When can I start to contact the operators about booking a 2013 tour? At the end of the 2012 cruise season? Or early 2013?

I booked my tour operator TJ Travel the end of Dec. for an August cruise and got a discount..Start your search in November..Enjoy this great way to see St Petersburg !!

Thanks! I booked as a solo, so I hope by this fall we will have a CC roll call going so I can coordinate with other people (yes I did start a roll call, but this cruise just opened up for booking so it will take a while to get going...). I know several tour guides form their own groups or have roll calls as well.

Very excited!

We are going in May 2013. I took a look at our most crucial ports (SPB being one), researched and have BOOKED already. I'd rather have my pick of the guides than be forced to take one who isn't booked:D

Thanks! I booked as a solo, so I hope by this fall we will have a CC roll call going so I can coordinate with other people (yes I did start a roll call, but this cruise just opened up for booking so it will take a while to get going...). I know several tour guides form their own groups or have roll calls as well.

Very excited!

Verna, I share your excitement. DH and I are also doing the Baltics in August 2013 but with Celebrity; when I first saw your post I thought I'd found someone on my cruise!! I've also started the roll call and have one other cruiser!! LOL This is a Bucket List cruise for us so the excitement is huge. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I will concur with the earlier poster that said you will get a discount if you book before the end of the year ~ at least, that was the case last fall ~ I'm following some of those roll calls. :o

I am also going on a Baltics Cruise in August 2013 and we are interested in looking into a private tour. I am waiting for the ship excursion prices to post in June this year ~ or so we've been told that is when they will be posted ~ then, if we decide to use a private tour, that's when I'm going to start a group if someone else on my roll call hasn't already. I think this will give myself and others on my roll call a good comparison of prices and activities offered by both. When looking at some of the roll calls last fall for this summer's 2012 Baltics cruises (like Royal Caribbean, etc)... some of those groups of 10 and 12 were full within DAYS from lurkers on the roll call who were only on the roll call to join a private tour ~ which I totally understand ~ but I thought it was funny.

When looking at some of the roll calls last fall for this summer's 2012 Baltics cruises (like Royal Caribbean, etc)... some of those groups of 10 and 12 were full within DAYS from lurkers on the roll call who were only on the roll call to join a private tour ~ which I totally understand ~ but I thought it was funny.

That is funny!

This sound like a good strategy - I have no problem setting up a tour and finding others to join, as long as I don't have to put up any money in advance!

That is funny!

This sound like a good strategy - I have no problem setting up a tour and finding others to join, as long as I don't have to put up any money in advance!

None of the private Russian Tour Companies at least the one we used TJ Travel required "any" money up front...We had a 2 day private tour and weren't required to pay for our tour until the morning of our second tour day...This way of doing business amazes most everyone !!!:D

Not sure about group tours as we are doing a private one, but with a private tour you can get a discount if you book long in advance. I know for Best Guides as we booked with them and got a discount, but I guess discount policies should be more or less the same with all St. Petersburg private tour operators.

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked with several of the tour operators mentioned on the board, following my "gut instinct" on who would be the best for me I decided to go with Alla Tours. I will post on my roll call and others (I assume) will join me, Alla also has a roll call. Thanks!

Archived