Do you use a list when you pack?

pampaul

Just wondering how many people use a list when they pack for vacation? Or do you just wing it?

I am a fanatic when it comes to making lists. I make a list for everything!!! Hubby always makes fun of me.

We've been on 5 cruises so far with 2 more booked for this summer. Anyhow, each and every time that it's vacation time (whether it's for a cruise, Disney or any vacation, I always stress out when making a packing list.

To me cruise packing requires much more planning, though. I mean you have you regular everyday clothes, dressier clothes, beach clothes, etc. And each year I write out a packing list for each of us (4 of us). Hubby's suitcase is always the worst. Some days he wants a t-shirt during the day, while other days he wants a sleeveless shirt. At night, he might want to wear a Hawaiian shirt but sometimes a regular button down shirt. But yet, he won't tell me how many of each he wants. Drive me bananas.

Anyhow, my plan for today is to make a main packing list for each of us and save it on the computer. That way each time we travel, I can just pull it up and make changes accordingly.

What about you? Do you drive yourself crazy with a list or are you the type to just throw stuff in a bag and go?

I HAVE to have a list. For our first cruise i found some lists on this forum, tailored them and they were great. Didnt leave anything behind and didnt take anything we didnt need. I even make lists for day trips. Takes a lot of stress off of me, so worth it.

List People have lists of their lists, and yes, I am one of them.:p

The greatest advice I have ever heard about packing lists is that they are best designed to make sure you don't forget something. It is not so much what to pack as it is what to consider and then decide to take or not take, but you have a master list with all travel items and clothes so you cannot overlook anything important. The items on the list never change, but the quantities do.

So you don't really have to make up multiple lists for multiple climates. Just have a standard master list on the computer and then for each trip decide how many (if any) to take of each item. Put long-sleeve shirts, short-sleeved shirts and tee shirts on the list. On some trips the LS shirt is 0, on others it is 5 or perhaps more. And when it comes time to plan for the next trip you can hand the master printout to the DH and ask him to fill in the number column of how many he wants of each item.;)

I always use a list. I created one Excel and just make adjustments every cruise. I have a column for every major category (toiletries, accessories, electronics..etc...) and have my clothes organized by day. It looks something like:

Day 1:

Daywear: white shorts, black tank, black sandals, green bathing suit and coverup

Night: Black skirt, red blouse, black heels

Day 2:

Daywear: tan shorts, white tank, black sandals, red bathing suit/coverup

Nghtwear: Blue dress and black heels

I'll continue this for everyday.

When it is time to pack, I just print out the list and cross things off as I put them in the suitcase. It was a little tedious when I first made it, but it works great, I rarely overpack and I haven't forgotten anything yet.

I too am a chronic list maker!! Thing is i always remember everything without a list but worry that if I don't make a list I will forget! I like to cross off items on a list but then have to redo the list because its messy!! :D

I always use a list. I created one Excel and just make adjustments every cruise. I have a column for every major category (toiletries, accessories, electronics..etc...) and have my clothes organized by day. It looks something like:

Day 1:

Daywear: white shorts, black tank, black sandals, green bathing suit and coverup

Day 2:

When it is time to pack, I just print out the list and cross things off as I put them in the suitcase. It was a little tedious when I first made it, but it works great, I rarely overpack and I haven't forgotten anything yet.

YES!!! This is how I'm looking to make my list. Thank you!!!

I too am a chronic list maker!! Thing is i always remember everything without a list but worry that if I don't make a list I will forget! I like to cross off items on a list but then have to redo the list because its messy!! :D

This is SOOOO me.

Day 1:

Day 2:

This is how my list is also! I've had the list on an Excel spreadsheet since my first cruise. I have day and night columns...accessories, toiletries, and a column for what gets packed in the carry on. I just make a few changes when I buy new things for the trip and I'm set! So easy.:)

I have to have a list which is kept on my PC, then at the end of the cruise I make a note of anything that was not worn , which is then deleted from the list for next cruise.

Sandy in Spain

A list specifying what to wear each day seems a bit obsessive - and perhaps counter-productive -- what if weather demands a change? But a basic list is a good idea -- prepared well in advance and reviewed several times, it will help you avoid forgetting anything, help in deciding what to bring, and really speed up the packing process. A good idea is to have a few items "open" -- as in number of polo shirts, bathing suits, tee shirts, etc, so you can adjust as space gets short -- having already packed the essentials.

I just wing it, and frankly it takes me about a half hour to pack (can you tell I'm a guy?? :p) Though that's because I've kind of worked it out in my mind in advance. And after I've 'finished' packing, I certainly spend the next few hours going over a mental checklist. :)

Another list person here (wife / vacation planner).

It's in a spreadsheet that's tailored to the area / weather we're going to. I check off the items as I pack our bags - I figure if any of our bags were to come up missing I have the list of what's in it. No way I could remember what's in there.

I have to have a list which is kept on my PC, then at the end of the cruise I make a note of anything that was not worn , which is then deleted from the list for next cruise.

Sandy in Spain

This is exactly what I do. I have had this list so long now, that my theory is "if it's not on the The List, I don't need it".....:D

Leaving a week from Saturday, guess I'd better get my list printed.....;)

Whatever works for someone else is great, but the only lists I make are grocery shopping lists, and a Christmas list as I buy gifts for everyone.

I don't need a list to know what to take, and I certainly don't make a list of what I'm going to wear each day/night. To me, that sounds a little OCD but I know it works for others. For me, a cruise is a vacation and I don't want to obsess and stress about the little things. The big things are definitely planned out - airlines, tickets, passports, rental cars, hotel rooms, monies, etc. but the little things? Nah. I'd go crazy in my own head to have that much swirling around in there. ;):D

I created one Excel and just make adjustments every cruise. I have a column for every major category (toiletries, accessories, electronics..etc...)

I love this idea! I am a list maker and find it very helpful. It also helps keep me busy and even more excited about my trip!!

Thank you! I am going to try this idea! :D

A list specifying what to wear each day seems a bit obsessive - and perhaps counter-productive -- what if weather demands a change? But a basic list is a good idea -- prepared well in advance and reviewed several times, it will help you avoid forgetting anything, help in deciding what to bring, and really speed up the packing process. A good idea is to have a few items "open" -- as in number of polo shirts, bathing suits, tee shirts, etc, so you can adjust as space gets short -- having already packed the essentials.

Yup. I guess, I should add that there is also a column only list for "just in case" jacket, pair of jeans, sweater...etc..

I have tons of clothes, shoes, accessories...etc...If I just threw things in a bag, things may not match, the necklace I want for an specific dress may be forgotten...etc...Breaking it down by day personally really just keeps me from under or overpacking...It may be a little OCD, but I have never (even for my first cruise) forgot anything or went over weight restrictions. I always try to stay at 40lbs or so for a 7-10 day cruise to have room/weight for souvenirs. Aside from a just in case outfit/item, everything for the most part has been utilized.

I guess I should clarify that I may not necessarily wear the clothes on specific day, but breaking it down just ensures I have matching outfits, accessories, shoes...etc..for each item that I am taking that will be enough (but not too much) for every day of the cruise.

The list is actually already made and saved on a computer, so the planning is done way in advance. It took a while the first cruise, but now it really is a piece of cake. I just make a few adjustments here or there each cruise.

I check the weather report before leaving. I may throw in an extra long shirt, take out a tank (that kind of thing) based on what I see.

I have yet (thankfully) seen a weather report that was WAY off...Like it has never said 85 degrees and I got to my destination and it was only 50....Sure it could happen, but hasn't up to this point. I always prepare for a downpour or something along those lines...For the most part, temps have been close to the forecast...Yay!!:)

But yeah, what works for some, definitely won't work for others...

Personally I would do fine without a list:D....but DH and DD(15) would over pack and DS(17) would underpack. They need me to make a list and even then they sometimes ignore me and I have to say "I told you so" when they either come home a suitcase of clean clothes (DD and DH) or run short during the trip (DS) :rolleyes:.

I have a list, keep it in my PC at home in the "Travel" folder. Print before a trip, and mark things off. After forgetting a few things on prior trips I don't want it to happen again :) And I update the list after or before each trip: for example, a changed prescription.

I have a long list of things for all types of travel, cross out what I won't need on this particular trip (like no bikini in Alaska in September), I even spelled out all medications I might need.

I also like to keep groups: medications, documents, clothing, cosmetics, to do before the trip (like stop mail)

You can Google packing list and this will be a start for you.

Back when I was just starting to travel, I used to make practically obsessive lists.

I'm a lot more laid back now. I've stopped making lists.

I start thinking about packing for the trip a week or two ahead of time, just to make sure I have appropriate clean clothes that still fit. I pack a night or two before.

I am a list person too, found it to be very helpful. I can sit at work, think through what I want to do each day on my cruise, create a clothing list so that I can pack as lightly as possible, but still have my dresses for dinner. The other clothes and shoes are mix and match.:) Lists for groceries keep me in budget, i research what is BOGO to make one list last us for two weeks of groceries. Saves money. I also throw things in a drawer(just for a cruise) when i find them. A free sample of detergent to do laundry at least once during the cruise also keeps down the amount of clothing I pack. I am becoming more thrifty, and more organized as I get older.:o:D

Archived