No Tuxedo - No Problem

sail7seas

Our recent Maasdam cruise was our 75th with HAL and the first time DH did not bring a tuxedo.

Prior to our cruise, I mentioned here we were debating about lugging it again.

We chose for him to bring a dark suit and a blazer with dress trousers.

We dined in Pinnacle with an Officer and in the Main Dining Room on formal night at an Officer hosted Table and DH was dressed just fine.

We did not regret leaving the tuxedo home and it is likely we will not be bringing one again except for maybe some very unusual circumstance or very special celebration.

No regrets...... :)

Your husband was dressed according to HAL's suggestion; therefore, there was no reason to expect a problem. Nevertheless, I can understand after so many cruises that it might have felt a little strange for both of you.

I still enjoy wearing my tuxedo, but someday I may also grow tired of taking it with me. If that day ever arrives, however, like your husband I will dress appropriately for the occasion. I thank him for respecting the suggested dress code.

I dropped packing the suit a few years ago. After sailing on Regent and a few other country-casual lines, I was sold it's just background noise.

Of course on formal nights we have room service or a lovely quiet meal out on deck somewhere.

Just as easy to pack a tux than a sport jacket and dress pants, nothing wrong with either, but since I have a tux might as well use it.

Tuxedo requires shoes DH only wears with his tux and two tuxedo shirts as well as cummerbuns etc

The suit was fine with the same shoe he wears with his dress pants and blazer and the shirts can be worn with or without jacket.

It absolutely reduced our packing by leaving tuxedo home.

Tuxedo requires shoes DH only wears with his tux and two tuxedo shirts as well as cummerbuns etc

The suit was fine with the same shoe he wears with his dress pants and blazer and the shirts can be worn with or without jacket.

Black lace-up Oxford shoes are considered an acceptable option for tuxedos. Cummerbunds and waistcoats are also worn less these days (the jacket is worn buttoned up). I don't even own a cummerbund and I leave the waistcoat behind when the function is in a warm weather location.

very valid point.

Sail - I am glad it worked out for you. Dh sometimes takes his tux but seriously the alternative offers more flexibility for other 'special evenings'.

I'm sure he looked dashing and dapper:D

i actually prefer my dh in suits rather than the tux. He has so many smart shirts and ties - I like the combos that he can do with a suit versus the boring white tux shirt;) (of course he disagrees):)

Black lace-up Oxford shoes are considered an acceptable option for tuxedos. Cummerbunds and waistcoats are also worn less these days (the jacket is worn buttoned up). I don't even own a cummerbund and I leave the waistcoat behind when the function is in a warm weather location.

Yes, black lace up oxfords work fine if that is the shoe a gent prefers.

That is not a shoe in DH's 'shoe wardrobe'. :)

Just personal preferences....

He's almost as bad as me with shoes and I LOVE shoes so use imagination. :D

I still have my black lace-up oxfords that I used to wear with my mess dress uniform back in my military days. I figure if they're good enough for the military, they're good enough to wear with my tux on a cruise.

I actually enjoy wearing my tux, and my wife likes for me to wear it. Both are good enough reasons for me.

We don't find the additional packing to be a problem, and come nowhere near exceeding airline baggage limits.

I agree...I now only take a suit instead of a tux,etc...Our next cruise I am thinking of a dark blazer instead of a suit.

Well on our several of our last cruises we have noted that the tux is dead. It was nice to get dressed to the nines but those days are gone. Now I have to decide what to do with my two tuxes and one dinner jacket. Maybe a ceremonial cremation on the front lawn ?

Well on our several of our last cruises we have noted that the tux is dead. It was nice to get dressed to the nines but those days are gone. Now I have to decide what to do with my two tuxes and one dinner jacket. Maybe a ceremonial cremation on the front lawn ?

May I add some of DH's cummerbuns (correct spelling :)) to your bonfire? :D

Not on the front lawn -- think of all the work you will have to do to get rid of those burn marks.

Sail - I am glad it worked out for you. Dh sometimes takes his tux but seriously the alternative offers more flexibility for other 'special evenings'.

I'm sure he looked dashing and dapper:D

i actually prefer my dh in suits rather than the tux. He has so many smart shirts and ties - I like the combos that he can do with a suit versus the boring white tux shirt;) (of course he disagrees):)

I'm so glad to hear someone else finally say this. I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I love some of the color combinations of DH's shirts and ties.

Archived