Which is more important...

mikeblum

We're still all about the ship. I love, love, love the Oasis class, but their itineraries are pretty blah!

Good point, I wonder if any other ports will be opened up to this size ship in the future. I know RC's itinerary for this ship is set by where it CAN go. I don't know if more ports were in the works when the ship was in design and if the economy has stopped other ports from considering expansion.

For us, right now, THE most important factor is being able to drive to the port. The expense and stress involved in air travel makes a cruise involving air travel totally unappealing. We'd rather travel by ship! We love sea days so much that we're thinking of doing a transatlantic for the kids' first trip to Europe - lots of sea days and then a port intensive end of a long cruise and only one flight.

I seem to be in the minority as it is itinerary that is the driving factor for me. I also haven't cruised nearly as much as some of the people on this board. I see the ship as primarily a floating hotel that gets me to the destinations that I want to go. I like the ability to unpack once but still be able to visit a different country / city each day. I tend to like cruises that are more port intensive versus having a lot of at sea days. I'm booked on a river cruise in Germany in about a month and I'm looking at the Baltic capitals for next year. There are just so many more places to go / see than the Caribbean.

Kind of dilemma for us right now with booking our next one when the schedules come out. I want to do the southern itinerary with the lesser visited islands such as Dominica, Grenada, etc on a smaller ship. Of course my son wants to do the Oasis or Allure. Whatever we do I'm sure we'll have a blast. Oasis or Allure looks fun for an adult too.

We went to Dominica a couple of years ago and did a private tour and it was WONDERFUL. My teenage grandchildren, who have several cruises under their belt, said it is their favorite port.

It depends...

If I going to Europe or Hawaii, the itinerary matters very much.

For a transatlantic the itinerary matters a bit, but the ship and line and cabin/suite become important due to the sea days.

For Alaska, I still care which glacier areas and which fjords, but care less about the port calls.

If and when we get to South America and South Pacific, itinerary will be important.

but for a Caribbean getaway, the ship, the line, the cost matter more than the itinerary...been there, seen that for most ports.

I haven't done a lot of cruising, but what I like about it is the cruising, not the ports. (I prefer land trips to really visit a country/place.) For me, the considerations when choosing a cruise are first the cruise line and ship, followed by the number of sea days, then the location, with airline costs to and from the embarkation ports being a concern.

Itinerary....

Departure port

If it's a far flung place, then I look for an all-in package with a charter flight.

Time of year- we don't want it too hot.

Wait until the very last minute for the price drop.....don't mind the ship or line....

Jo.

Young DubFan,

I am with you. A cruise is a nice floating hotel that gets me to places in the world I want to visit. So itinerary is most important.

Guess I am an outlier, I have never wanted to cruise in the Caribean. But have done many island vacations in the tropics.

I too consider the itenerary first. Then the embarkation point. I live on the Left Coast, so ships leaving from here would get higher consideration. However most of my cruises have left from FLL.

Since we've been to most of the Caribbean ports, itinerary isn't the most important factor anymore. Now, we pick according to what best fits our friends' schedules. We also are tending to gear more towards the lines with the nicer ships and atmosphere. I'm also looking forward to trying some of the lines I haven't cruised with yet, like Celebrity and HAL.

#1 itinerary

#2 price

#3 home port (we like FLL in winta to extend our stay and escape New Hampsha winta)

#4 cruise line (we don't want someone smoking on the balcony next to us)

ITINERARY and when we want to see a lot of variety or a place only cruise go.

Beach, food, entertainment etc. always better when on land or at a single location IMHO.

and yes i realize that it may differ by the number of cruises you have taken...what is more importasnt in selecting a cruise...the ITINERARY or the SHIP..or neither...????...being that my wife and i have been to most of the ports of call in the caribbean the ship is the determining factor now...and we have been on 16 cruises...all except 3 on RCCL

For me, the first thing I look for is the itinerary. I like to have the least amount of sea days possible. Next I look for certain cabins or cabin locations. I also prefer to cruise at certain times of the year, so I look for schedules. Departure port doesn't matter to me, as I work for an airline and can get where I want. Price doesn't matter too much, because if it's something I want to do, I'll save for it. The ship doesn't matter so much, but there are some that don't interest me at all (Oasis/Allure).

Archived