Class Distinctions??

malony33

Let's put it this way. You can check in at the airport in a priority line board early have wide comfortable seats that convert to a flat or nearly flat bed in order to get your sleep, and be one of the first off the plane because you're sitting in front.

Oh, wait -- that would cost more!

Nuh-uh! That stupid airline should change their policy and let you and your weary bones get the same service for which others paid more!

We have been on 25 plus trips and all have had some sort of priority system on check in based on type of cabin or past cruiser status. On the ship again based on cabin or club status there were perks. At times I was in the group and at times not. It's easy to understand why the cruise line does it and I no problem with it. We have a trip upcoming on the Rivera in a ocean view room so no perks for me. My only wish is I get to try all the rest. Once as they all sound so good. Guess I'll see how the online booking works as the trip gets closer.

I agree. I am not sure why this has become such a hot topic.

Have people taken a look at how much more you pay for a Suite or a First Class Ticket?

I am starting to understand the attitude that is behind those people flying coach that insist on using the First Class bathrooms.

I don't fly First Class often, but next time I do, I will make sure I go back and give everyone a sip of my "Complimentary Drinks" and "Complimentary Meal" that I paid thousands for.

I don't get it.

How is any of this any different that if you were staying in a hotel in Europe. Unless you purchase a hotel room for the night before you arrive (i.e. pay more) you will likely have to wait till check-in time (usually about 3pm) to get into your room, even if your flight arrived at 8 or 9 am. That's just the way it is, certainly not ideal but it is the reality of the situation.

someone heard it had to be inspected by the Coast Guard because it had just come from Europe. Dunno. So no matter what category you had, you couldn't get on. They ultimately let everyone on at the same time.

Yes I think when any ship returns to the USA after being out of the area for several months they have to be inspected by the CDC that is when you can check their sanitation scores on the CDC website

We were also inspected when we returned from the Panama cruise on Marina in 2011 because of a G.I. outbreak

We were delayed getting off the ship & the people waiting to board ..TA's included had to wait for the ship to be deep cleaned

They do not want the spread of diseases

That's interesting. We had been on an X cruise that just came back and had no wait at all. However, O was Florida and X was New Jersey. Can't imagine that would make a difference.

It could.

I was on the cruise that Lyn is referring to and it was a real mess (through no fault of Oceania). I am glad that we had no flights to catch that day.

Miami cruise (and air) port is to be avoided in my book, much like London's Heathrow, if at all possible (which it isn't always).

That's interesting. We had been on an X cruise that just came back and had no wait at all. However, O was Florida and X was New Jersey. Can't imagine that would make a difference.

If you were returning without illness onboard you may not encounter any delay

I would think the CDC inspection would go ahead after you disembarked so maybe those boarding would have a delay embarking

I am not sure how the CDC inspection works

It could.

I was on the cruise that Lyn is referring to and it was a real mess (through no fault of Oceania). I am glad that we had no flights to catch that day.

Miami cruise (and air) port is to be avoided in my book, much like London's Heathrow, if at all possible (which it isn't always).

I agree about both airports fortunately for us we were flying out of MIA as we would have missed the flight if it was FLL

we almost missed the flight as it was :eek:

Thanks everyone - you relieved my mind. I had somehow misunderstood the earlier comments and thought people were saying you could not board the ship or get rid of your bags at all until your category is admitted. I thought I was going to have do more sitting around in some terminal building, probably still burdened with my luggage, in considerable discomfort, while people who paid more walked by. If I can check my bags and board the ship, then find a comfortable chair with a drink, I'll be quite happy. I know how hard the staff work to get the rooms ready, and of course, they can't all be ready at once. I don't expect that.

I was not saying that people who have paid for extras shouldn't get what they paid for. I, for instance, will not be inviting people who have no balcony to move in and share mine. Where I draw the line is at discomfort. People who pay less should not experience that. It's why I wouldn't question a person's using the first-class toilet - maybe the need was urgent?

Anyway, thanks for setting my mind at ease. As for the hot breakfasts - piffle - if I want one, I know where I can find it!

I am starting to understand the attitude that is behind those people flying coach that insist on using the First Class bathrooms.

Because the aisle is blocked by the beverage cart and they really have to pee?

Wow! What a thread. To be honest, every cruise line we have traveled has had some sort of class system... you pay more, you get more perks. And if it were any different I'd be disappointed! If I'm paying for a Suite and get a full bar set up, I would understand why PH's wouldn't get that. Each cruise line is different. It is up to the person booking the cruise to determine if there are perks they are willing to pay for.

Some cruise lines offer great breakfasts in a particular restaurant (secluded), others give free laundry, others give hot breakfasts in certain categories and higher, some offer internet minutes, others give course by course dining for dinner... the list goes on and on. It depends on the cruise line. Never assume you get something that is not stated in a brochure. I'm not sure why someone would assume they get hot breakfast if the brochure doesn't advertise that you actually do. That's like assuming you get a full bar set up for a room that is not a suite.

Never assume you get something that is not stated in a brochure. I'm not sure why someone would assume they get hot breakfast if the brochure doesn't advertise that you actually do. That's like assuming you get a full bar set up for a room that is not a suite.

To clarify (one more time)....the brochure says the exact same thing "extensive room service menu" regardless of what type of cabin you're in. If it says the same thing, the reasonable expectation is that it is the same thing.

This a NOT class distinction issue. Certainly, higher cost cabins get better perks. I just want to know what they are (and what they are not, in the lower categories) so I can make an informed choice over which class of cabin I want to go with!

Rant mode <ON>

I probably shouldn't add this bit....but here goes.

I have traveled upscale and downscale. I have traveled in first class and in coach. (I travel a LOT for business and pleasure.) I do not begrudge the perks to upscale travel to those traveling that way. I really enjoy those perks when I get them. But I've also seen it from the other side, and I'm sensing some global entitlement all right, but on the upscale travelers' side.

Please note I am not implying all or even most feel this way, but there seems to be an undercurrent on some posters' parts that there should be perks in everything, regardless of how basic. ("You want a hot breakfast!?!? In a basic cabin!?!?")

Additionally, stop assigning motivations to those in lower classes of service based on your assumption that they want what they don't pay for or begrudge what the upper classes of service have. That is not the case. What is going on is the point of view that some basics should apply to all (admittedly, the discussion of what is 'basic' is an open one.) And getting back to the breakfast question (among others) - I (among others) was trying to find out what goes with each class, and expressing a complaint that it was not correctly explained in the brochures and the online information. (I've also been on Oceania's close competitors, and gotten hot breakfast in a basic veranda cabin, so, yes, it was a surprise that Oceania didn't do the same.)

And as for the restrooms on planes, why is it it's okay for someone in first class to go back to use the coach restrooms when it's occupied (especially when the way is blocked because of one of the pilots using it), but the reverse (someone from coach having the cheek to use the first class bathroom) is a sign of class warfare? I see it all the time, both from a first class seat, and from the front of coach.

Look - enjoy your large suite. Enjoy your butler. Enjoy your full bar. I am happy that you have them. I honestly don't want many of those perks (having a butler in a Penthouse Suite was actually a source of concern to us!) I certainly don't begrudge that you have them....you've paid more for them. You are entitled to them. But do not yell 'class distinctions' when somebody is concerned (because there was a misunderstanding of the situation) about whether they'll have to wander the ship with their luggage waiting for their room or why they don't get a hot breakfast when the basic perks say the exact same thing as the upscale ones!

OK, rant mode <OFF>

...(I've also been on Oceania's close competitors, and gotten hot breakfast in a basic veranda cabin, so, yes, it was a surprise that Oceania didn't do the same.)

Is that "close competitor" still charging for specialty restaurants? I've been on Oceania, and would be surprised if others charged me...

azevedan, you are right on point.

I don't resent that the higher level cabins get perks but there are basics like "extensive" room service that should provide at least a hot breakfast (a basic) no matter what cabin level. Also, what bothered me was the spa deck was not noted as only applying to Concierge level and above. I found out after I booked my 1st cruise with Oceania through Cruise Critic -- and I verified that there is an extra charge by calling Oceania. Not a deal breaker, but Oceania should have been upfront in the catalog -- I like the whole picture before I make decisions.

Well put Azevedan! There seem to be many replies in this thread that have missed the point you are making. The key is that the print material appears (at least to me) to be misleading. One of the basic premises of good customer service is to "under promise and over deliver". By not being clear in its materials about the scope of what is included in room service many on this thread (myself included) had reasonably (IMHO) concluded that room service was the same for all (except for the higher categories being able to order from the special restaurants - that is clearly stated). It is not nice to have your expectations shattered when you have taken the time to review the materials in the first place.

From other threads it appears that OCL monitors CC (which is great). It would be good for them to jump in here and let everyone know that they will fix their print materials or change the breakfast room service. This thread has gotten a lot of attention and is leaving a bad impression for those who are considerng Oceania.

Is that "close competitor" still charging for specialty restaurants? I've been on Oceania, and would be surprised if others charged me...

Yep, they do....AND they clearly state it. So you make your decision. Yes, if Az did NOT tell you there was a charge, and you got on board and found out there WAS one, that would be a surprise for you. And an unpleasant one, at that, especially if specialty restaurants are a big deal for you. Fortunately, the information is clearly stated.

For those interested, there's a whole other thread on "what you get on O versus Az." (Speaking of those restaurants, another perk for higher O class cabins, which is clearly stated in O's material, is they get to make reservations for them earlier (thus, better chance of getting the day and time desired), and get to make more reservations up front. I'm not begrudging that, *simply* pointing it out.)

In the Oceania catalog that I received, it did say that the spa deck was free for Concierge level and above....although when we used it, no one checked to see if we were. We were in a Concierge level cabin and I did order hot oatmeal for room service every time we ate in the cabin for breakfast and had no problem getting it. I also requested several special items like nuts and particular fruits which we received without a problem. As far as getting better treatment if you were in a suite, I have no idea how the crew would know where your cabin was. We received the same courtesy and treatment that our friends did who were in a PH cabin. The crew couldn't have been more kind and courteous. Yes, the PH cabin received additional amenities and it was bigger----and they paid an additional cost for all of it. I felt the catalog did a good job of specifying what was included at the various cabin levels.

In the Oceania catalog that I received, it did say that the spa deck was free for Concierge level and above....although when we used it, no one checked to see if we were. We were in a Concierge level cabin and I did order hot oatmeal for room service every time we ate in the cabin for breakfast and had no problem getting it.

But those ARE perks for Concierge level cabins are they not :confused:

They need to define the phrase

Complimentary and extensive 24-hour room service menu

as stated on their website for the B and lower cabin descriptions

What exactly does extensive consist of :confused:

They need to define the phrase

Complimentary and extensive 24-hour room service menu

as stated on their website for the B and lower cabin descriptions

What exactly does extensive consist of :confused:

Exactly. Because, in the list of what you get for ANY cabin it uses EXACTLY the same wording.

I am truly struggling to understand why this point, which has been stated multiple times by multiple people, is still in contention in this forum.

For those interested, there's a whole other thread on "what you get on O versus Az."

I tried doing the search for this on both O and A forums and did not find this thread.

Can you point me to it please?

I tried doing the search for this on both O and A forums and did not find this thread.

Can you point me to it please?

here are a couple:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666406

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657067

I *think* the following one also gets into it, sparked by the differences in house wine included with dinner (Az) vs. not (O). Sorry....can't check right now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524732

here are a couple:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666406

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657067

I *think* the following one also gets into it, sparked by the differences in house wine included with dinner (Az) vs. not (O). Sorry....can't check right now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524732

Thanks - will check them out.

Archived