Main dining room for breakfast - dress code?

Appygirl

I hate to start another dress code thread - and we do come dressed appropriately for dinner in the MDR - but I'm wondering about breakfast. Can men wear shorts? And of course a suitable shirt and shoes. I don't mind wearing a skirt to breakfast but my husband probably won't want to wear long pants in the morning on a Caribbean cruise. What have other people observed at breakfast? We normally just go up to the Horizon Court but thought we might give the MDR a try for breakfast.

I hate to start another dress code thread - and we do come dressed appropriately for dinner in the MDR - but I'm wondering about breakfast. Can men wear shorts? And of course a suitable shirt and shoes. I don't mind wearing a skirt to breakfast but my husband probably won't want to wear long pants in the morning on a Caribbean cruise. What have other people observed at breakfast? We normally just go up to the Horizon Court but thought we might give the MDR a try for breakfast.

Other than a bathing suit, what is acceptable in the Horizon Court is OK for breakfast in the dining room. Men and women can wear shorts if they wish.

Shorts are OK in the dining room for breakfast and lunch however men are required to wear a shirt or t-shirt, no tank tops allowed on men.
Also, no bathing suits with cover-ups. Shoes required (which makes sense since glasses and plates are dropped every now and then.)

I can't possibly imagine a person being turned away from the dining room for not having enough clothing. :D As others have said just about anything is OK although I haven't seen anyone in a bathrobe & slippers, yet.

yet...

I can't possibly imagine a person being turned away from the dining room for not having enough clothing. :D As others have said just about anything is OK although I haven't seen anyone in a bathrobe & slippers, yet.

On a recent Carnival cruise, I DID see someone in a bathrobe & slippers in the dining room! :D

Flip-flops are okay too for breakfast and lunch...
... but you'll find the ham and eggs to be more tender. Order them instead. ;)

My normal attire for breakfast in the MDR is [sandals or tennis shoes]. shorts, [T shirt or Hawaiian shirt].

Ha ha! Some funny answers! This will be perfect. My father's favorite breakfast is poached eggs, bacon, and hash browns. That's his favorite lunch too! My step-mother prefers to order off the card and eat breakfast on the balcony and seeing as how my father doesn't like to eat alone he eats on the balcony too. We'll be on the cruise with them so my husband can take my father to the dining room and that way he's not up in the Horizon Court stacking his plate!

Of course I like to dine in my swimsuit so I guess the MDR is off limits for me!

On tropical cruise, I always wear shorts in the MDR for both breakfast and lunch, but like others have said, no swimwear or flipflops.

BTW, the Carnival mention is too funny. If it is true, then that is one of many reason I don't cruise with Carnival.

Ha ha! Some funny answers! This will be perfect. My father's favorite breakfast is poached eggs, bacon, and hash browns. That's his favorite lunch too! My step-mother prefers to order off the card and eat breakfast on the balcony and seeing as how my father doesn't like to eat alone he eats on the balcony too. We'll be on the cruise with them so my husband can take my father to the dining room and that way he's not up in the Horizon Court stacking his plate!

Of course I like to dine in my swimsuit so I guess the MDR is off limits for me!

Some cruise ships don't allow you in the buffet in a swimsuit, either. So cover up :)

You're not supposed to wear swimsuits without a cover-up in the Horizon Court either.

I see people using their Princess robe as a cover-up, so maybe that's what they wore to the MDR??? I've seen people in the buffet with the Princess robe. Or maybe I just ASSUMED they were using it as a cover-up!

Often I've seen women in bathing suites at HC, even two piece or bikins without a cover up, and men with just bathing suites without shirts. I just throw on a long cover up and can go to either MDR or HC.

On my last cruise, I ate breakfast in the MDR, wearing a tank top (I am male) . The maitre d' came up to me and told me to enjoy my meal, but discretely told me Tank Tops were not allowed. I wonder if he would have said the same thing to a lady wearing a tank top?

On my last cruise, I ate breakfast in the MDR, wearing a tank top (I am male) . The maitre d' came up to me and told me to enjoy my meal, but discretely told me Tank Tops were not allowed. I wonder if he would have said the same thing to a lady wearing a tank top?

No........

I was going to address that in my prior post as I have seen many women in sleeveless shirts/tank tops etc. :(

Apparently the same rule does not apply.

Ha ha! Some funny answers! This will be perfect. My father's favorite breakfast is poached eggs, bacon, and hash browns.

Let him be forewarned that the menu warns there will be an additional wait (10 minutes? 15?) for poached eggs, unless Eggs Benedict is on special. On the other hand, unlike the readymade bricks offered in the HC, poached eggs in the MDR will be perfectly cooked.

Archived