dessert extravanganza

NoobCruise

On the 4/22 Veendam cruise, it was on Friday night.

You sailed on Sunday, right? We'll be sailing on Saturday, so I'm guessing it would be Thursday night, which would be great since we don't enter port on Friday until 1pm. I'm very sensitive to caffeine- my brain goes into highspeed over drive for several hours so forget sleep lol but I won't be able to resist all the chocolate at the dessert extravaganza lol Just wanted to see if indulging would ruin my next day shore excursion from lack of sleep. But if it's on Thursday, then it looks like I can sleep in ;) Thanks!

Take your camera and go up early before people start to dig in. The pastry chefs go all out with the decorations.

I plan on it lol Someone posted a video of it over on the HAL Facebook page and OMG I'm a chocoholic and just watching the video made me weak in the knees lol

Yes -- they have dessert extravaganzas on all ships -- all itineraries.

It is usually the last formal night. Picture taking around 10:30 PM and then eating from 11 until Midnight.

Some are very elaborate -- others are not.

Most ships will even have chocolate fountains.

Yes -- they have dessert extravaganzas on all ships -- all itineraries.

It is usually the last formal night. Picture taking around 10:30 PM and then eating from 11 until Midnight.

Some are very elaborate -- others are not.

Most ships will even have chocolate fountains.

oh no! We must have missed that! :( I did not know about that.

The dessert all do look great. Unfortunately they do not taste great. I love HAL but their desserts have all started to taste the same at the extravaganza.

I still love to go and take pix but I rarely actually eat anything other than maybe a chocolate covered strawberry.

It is on the last Formal Night on most of the cruises I have been on. The advice to get up there a bit early with the camera is good advice. It is a sight to behold. With Diabetes, I look but am a bit diffident about partiaking as I try and control my blood sugars. I am sweet enough!!!!!!

It is on the last Formal Night on most of the cruises I have been on. The advice to get up there a bit early with the camera is good advice. It is a sight to behold. With Diabetes, I look but am a bit diffident about partiaking as I try and control my blood sugars. I am sweet enough!!!!!!

I'm sure you are sweet enough!

But they do have sugar-free goodies. They make the little choux pastry swans sugar-free. Even without sugar, they're one of my favorite things at the dessert dextravaganza. Yeah, I know, cholesterol in the whipped cream. But I do love those swans!

This was posted over on the HAL Facebook page. NOT my video, but made me drool :p

aarghhh this was on Maasdam on the cruise right after ours. :eek:

My husband said he can't believe I did not know about this after spending so much time on the forms. He is very unhappy with me now...ah well...he'll get over it.

The dessert all do look great. Unfortunately they do not taste great. I love HAL but their desserts have all started to taste the same at the extravaganza.

I still love to go and take pix but I rarely actually eat anything other than maybe a chocolate covered strawberry.

I agree -- we do not care for many of any of HAL's desserts - lunch, dinner, extravaganza -- they are tasteless.

I agree -- we do not care for many of any of HAL's desserts - lunch, dinner, extravaganza -- they are tasteless.

That makes me sad :( Why go to all the trouble of making all those fancy desserts - they sure take time and effort to make so pretty...and then leave them bland? So sad. Well, I still have to try them for myself just to be sure ;)

There are a few that are really quite good but you have to be pretty choosy which is difficult becasue if you ask, What's that one? It lands on your plate.

I asked for a chocolate swan decoration and brought it to my room and enjoyed it for 3 days! It was the best hunk of anything I've had at the extravaganza.

The chocolaate fountains were white chocolate and milk chocolate but the chocolate swan was dark chocolate! m--

desert extravaganza?

Do they have those on all the cruises? I can't believe we missed that :(

You missed one of the highlights of the cruise. Be sure to take advantage of it next time.

aarghhh this was on Maasdam on the cruise right after ours. :eek:

My husband said he can't believe I did not know about this after spending so much time on the forms. He is very unhappy with me now...ah well...he'll get over it.

It just means you need to book another cruise immediately so you can experience this too. :D

You sailed on Sunday, right? We'll be sailing on Saturday, so I'm guessing it would be Thursday night, which would be great since we don't enter port on Friday until 1pm. I'm very sensitive to caffeine- my brain goes into highspeed over drive for several hours so forget sleep lol but I won't be able to resist all the chocolate at the dessert extravaganza lol Just wanted to see if indulging would ruin my next day shore excursion from lack of sleep. But if it's on Thursday, then it looks like I can sleep in ;) Thanks!

Yep, we sailed Sunday. :)

That makes me sad :( Why go to all the trouble of making all those fancy desserts - they sure take time and effort to make so pretty...and then leave them bland? So sad. Well, I still have to try them for myself just to be sure ;)

Like everyone says, just bring the camera early while they're setting up & the crowd is light. We had checked the daily and saw that it started at 10:30P (IIRC) but when I took the pics it was around 9PM. Personally I just noshed on the chocolate covered fruits (so fresh, so sweet!), DH was more the one with the sweet tooth. Maybe it varies with the pastry chefs on the ships then? He left little on his plate afterwards. :D

I'm sure you are sweet enough!

But they do have sugar-free goodies. They make the little choux pastry swans sugar-free. Even without sugar, they're one of my favorite things at the dessert dextravaganza. Yeah, I know, cholesterol in the whipped cream. But I do love those swans!

Yes, they do have a (small) selection of sugar-free treats.

On our Maasdam cruise in March, the tables for the Dessert Extravaganza were set up on both sides of the lido pool, from end to end, plus chocolate fountains at one end. I do not think even half of the desserts were eaten. While the staff literally dumped what was left over onto flatbed carts, we overheard one of them say, "What a waste."

With all the work that went into creating the amazing-looking desserts, it was sad to see them being trashed.

Actually, looking back on it now, best to arrive there with your camera at around 9:30-9:45, towards the end of when they finish setting up all the deserts. We got there at about 9:15 and they had everything out already, but were still setting up the decorations and sugar glass pieces on it all.

At about 10PM, got a bit crowded and hard to take pics with everyone in the way and photobombing.

You have to stay up;) it is very nice actually:)

when was this Jacqui, do you remember? Was this indeed on the second formal night? That evening I was indeed already asleep by then, you are right, have to stay up.

I still can't believe we missed that :(

Archived