Help! Dress Code for Alaska Cruise

jtsbusiness

Just packing for our Alaskan cruise and suddenly unsure what to wear on sea days. Always done hot cruises before so swimwear and dresses were the order of the day. Are jeans ok to wear during the day or should more formal trousers be worn?

Just 4 days to go so HELP PLEASE from people that have been on these Celebrity cruises

Also have seen that there are 2 formal nights but cannot see how many casual nights/semi-formal nights.

Thought I was all prepared and now panic set in :eek:

From what I have gathered on the Alaska boards, layering is the way to go on an Alaskan cruise. Jeans would be ok, but not in the MDR at night (per the dress guidelines put out by Celebrity).

Here are the guidelines from the Celebrity site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&faqSubjectId=55

Per my Boy Scout son, jeans are not necessarily good to wear on excursions where they may get wet. They do not dry quickly which could lead to other problems if it's cold. On board ship though, I don't see where that would be a problem.

I think you have been on much more formal cruises than I !

Jeans are always ok during the day. As long as they are nice, that applies to any cruiseline, we have been on them all.

In fact, we might be on your cruise !

There are no 'semi formal' on this cruise. I actually think that has been eliminated on most cruises.

We took a cruise on Azamara last year. That is a step above Celebrity. They totally eliminated formal nights !

All nights were listed as 'smart casual'. Although a lot of people do not like it, the obvious trend of cruiselines is for more casual dress.

From what I have gathered on the Alaska boards, layering is the way to go on an Alaskan cruise. Jeans would be ok, but not in the MDR at night (per the dress guidelines put out by Celebrity).

Here are the guidelines from the Celebrity site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&faqSubjectId=55

Per my Boy Scout son, jeans are not necessarily good to wear on excursions where they may get wet. They do not dry quickly which could lead to other problems if it's cold. On board ship though, I don't see where that would be a problem.

Jeans are perfectly acceptable in the MDR in the evenings. The prohibition against Jeans in the MDR was removed last year....

There are only two evening dress codes, formal and smart casual. Informal was removed several years ago. Check the dress code link given in post two with the two evening dress codes. You will notice there is no prohibition against jeans as there was last year

I found that the dress on my Alaskan Infinity Cruise a few years ago very casual. Nice Jeans and nice jogging suits were warm and comfortable onboard.

Don't forget your hat, gloves, waterproof jacket, and windbreaker with hood.

Just packing for our Alaskan cruise and suddenly unsure what to wear on sea days. Always done hot cruises before so swimwear and dresses were the order of the day. Are jeans ok to wear during the day or should more formal trousers be worn?

Just 4 days to go so HELP PLEASE from people that have been on these Celebrity cruises

Also have seen that there are 2 formal nights but cannot see how many casual nights/semi-formal nights.

Thought I was all prepared and now panic set in :eek:

Jeans are not just OK, they will be the normal wear in Alaska.

There are two formal nights. All of the rest of the nights are "smart casual". Celebrity changed its policy to permit jeans in the MDR on the smart casual nights nearly two years ago.

Bring layers, including rain gear. You might want to consider buying some of those cheap throw-away ponchos to stick in your back packs.

You are going to be blown away by how beautiful it is. Have a great cruise!

Layering is right! I'll never forget our only Alaska cruise (different cruise line) in early August. We paused for Glacier viewing mid morning and despite wearing jackets, hats & gloves we were chilled to the bone. My DW and I warmed up for an hour in the hot tubs afterwards. Then we dressed for the next glacier stop a few hours later and wore lots of layers and warm clothes so we wouldn't get chilled again - only to find it was warm enough out on deck for shorts and t-shirts by early afternoon. Oh Well!

These photos were take just a couple hours apart:

247415375_xT2jB-S.jpg247416176_9tXun-S.jpg

I know that dkj loves his jeans, but for most cruisers, it just isn't the same without a formal night or two. Plus, in this case, men's formal wear would be downright comdfortable in Alaska weather! Layers is the general rule. Sometimes you can have a pleasant, sunny week, and other times it could rain every day. You want something that will dry faster, and jeans will not. If you've got it, take an all-weather jacket, or at least a rain poncho. You just never know.

Thanks everyone. Some very useful advice as usual. I knew I could count on you :)

With everything I will need, I am not sure if it will fit in my case. Need to do some matching and pairing.

Thanks again

Layering is right! I'll never forget our only Alaska cruise (different cruise line) in early August. We paused for Glacier viewing mid morning and despite wearing jackets, hats & gloves we were chilled to the bone. My DW and I warmed up for an hour in the hot tubs afterwards. Then we dressed for the next glacier stop a few hours later and wore lots of layers and warm clothes so we wouldn't get chilled again - only to find it was warm enough out on deck for shorts and t-shirts by early afternoon. Oh Well!

These photos were take just a couple hours apart:

247415375_xT2jB-S.jpg247416176_9tXun-S.jpg

Great photos and a good example of the weather changability.:D

I love the pictures too, what a great contrast!

I'm afraid I'm going to be the one on our cruise in black and white:o. Since we have a conference a few days pre-cruise we have to plan on extra clothes for that so I have been trying to base my wardrobe around black and white with a few coloured pieces thrown in. It's still difficult to know how many cold weather clothes to take but I think the layering that many have suggested is probably the best advice.

Our suitcases are almost ready for the flight to Seattle tomorrow morning (and our cruise on Friday). I'm taking long-sleeve t-shirts, a lightweight fleece vest, fleece zip jackets, jeans and waterproof jacket with hood. My husband packed long sleeve tee's, jeans, golf shirts, a couple of sweatshirts/sweaters and the much needed waterproof jacket. Packed the necessary hat, gloves and scarf too. We'll be a little more dressed than this for dinner, but nothing too fancy -- Sport coat, shirt and dress pants for him; black slacks and a few blouses/tunics for me. Happy to say, that our two suitcases are under 40 lbs each !

Our suitcases are almost ready for the flight to Seattle tomorrow morning (and our cruise on Friday). I'm taking long-sleeve t-shirts, a lightweight fleece vest, fleece zip jackets, jeans and waterproof jacket with hood. My husband packed long sleeve tee's, jeans, golf shirts, a couple of sweatshirts/sweaters and the much needed waterproof jacket. Packed the necessary hat, gloves and scarf too. We'll be a little more dressed than this for dinner, but nothing too fancy -- Sport coat, shirt and dress pants for him; black slacks and a few blouses/tunics for me. Happy to say, that our two suitcases are under 40 lbs each !

The sport coat, shirt and dress pants are not required on smart casual nights but do not technically meet the dress code on formal nights. It's likely, however, that there will be a substantial number of men dressed the same way on formal nights (especially in Alaska, where it tends to be more informal).

The formal night dress code specifies tuxedo, a suit, or dinner jacket. (A dinner jacket is merely the British English word for Tuxedo and does not include a sport coat.) Like I said, however, there will be many others dressed in a blazer, dress pants, and a tie and I understand that when they are enforcing the dress code, they merely require a jacket.

Have a great cruise! You are going to love Alaska.

Due to an excursion during our Alaskan cruise, we are only going to be able to attend one formal night. DH has a dark blue suit which hasn't been worn for quite a while and needs to go to the dry cleaners. And he also has a sharp black blazer, white shirt, black tie and grey pants that is ready to go. We are both leaning towards it as it fits him the best and he looks smashing. If it's an absolute no-no we'll bite the bullet and take the blue suit. The blazer outfit was fine for formal night on other cruise lines but I know Celebrity is a bit more strict.

Archived