LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Can I ask what time you had luggage in hand at the airport? We have a tight schedule and are trying to decide if we need to take a cab or hire a car. Thanks!

Sounds as though Lisa may have had Luggage Direct...where one doesn't see their luggage til landing at their home airport.

Can I ask what time you had luggage in hand at the airport? We have a tight schedule and are trying to decide if we need to take a cab or hire a car. Thanks!

I want to say it was just a few minutes before 9am, How tight is a tight schedule? Are you doing International?

I actually wish HAL had two buses one for the earlier flights and one for the later flights.There was two groups Red one and Red two, I think Red One could have been flights that were non US and then their luggage may have been at a different area of the airport, then our group was all US. Then there was also those taking the bus to Seattle for later flights like Melodie and Ron. But there was some confusion with that as well since they had the letter that they were meeting where we were in the Vista Lounge but no one knew anything about their transfers. Now bare in mind at this point is not not anyone from the ship it is those from the Shore Side services at Canada Place that come on board the ship and conduct this.

I will say that just before we went out to our bus that they mentioned they would be started disembarkation services so we were actually one of the very first off the ship.

Sounds as though Lisa may have had Luggage Direct...where one doesn't see their luggage til landing at their home airport.

Hi Sheila, no this was not Luggage Direct. As a matter of fact I never seen Luggage Direct mentioned at all for this year. We bought regular HAL transfers.Luggage Direct would get your boarding pass and check you luggage in and you would not see till you got home, in this case we see our luggage and check it in at the airport. But what they do is bring the luggage to the airport and have a special section just inside the door that is roped off with all the luggage. It looks like this is something that is always done because there are permanent signs about luggage and even some really cute decorations that look like big boulders that have handles that make them look like suit cases and back packs. This area is right near where United, US Air and several other US carrier check in counters are. We are with Philippine Air Lines which fortunately is in the same terminal and just the other side of the food court.

Hi Sheila, no this was not Luggage Direct. As a matter of fact I never seen Luggage Direct mentioned at all for this year. We bought regular HAL transfers.Luggage Direct would get your boarding pass and check you luggage in and you would not see till you got home, in this case we see our luggage and check it in at the airport. But what they do is bring the luggage to the airport and have a special section just inside the door that is roped off with all the luggage. It looks like this is something that is always done because there are permanent signs about luggage and even some really cute decorations that look like big boulders that have handles that make them look like suit cases and back packs. This area is right near where United, US Air and several other US carrier check in counters are. We are with Philippine Air Lines which fortunately is in the same terminal and just the other side of the food court.

I've heard of that, Lisa, but never knew what it was. On the Maasdam in January, Luggage Direct was offered...because we were staying a few extra days, we couldn't use it. But did at one time on an earlier cruise. Similar to what you had...except the luggage was checked already when we got to the airport.

Welcome home!

Thanks Lisa...the transfer sounds like it may work for us...we fly domestic to Toronto @11AM then hop another plane to the US/FL. We go through customs in Toronto! Do you think that we may have to drag our luggage from the international area to the domestic area?...DH has back problems!

Often it means that someone is about to leave this "vale of tears" or already has departed this life.

Interesting, Father. I was always under the impression that "Bright Star" alert meant that the person had died...or was thought to have died. Other codes for less serious matters.

Hi Lisa,

Since your cruise went from San Diego to Vancouver and then Vancouver round-trip to Alaska, how did you avoid a problem with the regulation I've read about on these boards that prevents cruisers from taking a Pacific Coastal cruise immediately followed by an Alaskan cruise on the same ship? I never have understood it - hopefully you can explain since I'd like to do the same thing next year.

Thanks. Kathy

Interesting, Father. I was always under the impression that "Bright Star" alert meant that the person had died...or was thought to have died. Other codes for less serious matters.

"Bright Star" refers to a severe and/or life threatening medical emergency such as a person not breathing/no heart beat or a combination of both. The Bright Star announcement is broadcast by the Officer of the Watch (once he/she receives the initial call for help) from the Bridge over the ship's P/A system, both in crew and passenger areas. The PA announcement will include an exact location where on the vessel the patient is located, and result in an immediate response from several designated crew members;

i.e. a designated member of the Front Office staff will respond with an automated external defibrillator or AED kept at the entrance to the FO; the on-call nurse will respond, along with a stretcher team and a team bringing the so-called "crash cart", the passenger and crew physician will respond, the hotel manager, chief officer, security officer (acting in his role as Rescue Squad commander), other designated Bridge officers, and at least one Housekeeping supervisor (in charge of the stretcher team and the other, the asst. Rescue Squad commander) will respond. All in all, the response could include from a minimum of fifteen, up to twenty individuals. Besides the P/A announcement each designated member of the first responder team also receives a 911 message on their individual pagers.

As on land with paramedics/EMT/Fire, the goal onboard is to get there (to the victim's location) fast and to restore the ABC (Airway, Breathing and Circulation) of the victim/patient. Once stabilized, the patient/victim is taken to the ship's infirmary for additional care. Bright Star responses have saved lives! Unfortunately, as on land, in some cases it's just too late!

Hi Lisa,

Since your cruise went from San Diego to Vancouver and then Vancouver round-trip to Alaska, how did you avoid a problem with the regulation I've read about on these boards that prevents cruisers from taking a Pacific Coastal cruise immediately followed by an Alaskan cruise on the same ship? I never have understood it - hopefully you can explain since I'd like to do the same thing next year.

Thanks. Kathy

Hi - -Not Lisa, but can help with this. Since the Alaska portion is round trip Vancouver - a non US port, there is no problem starting in San Diego. If the cruise was Alaska round trip out of Seattle, then Lisa would not have been able to sail from San Diego.

HTH

Thanks Lisa...the transfer sounds like it may work for us...we fly domestic to Toronto @11AM then hop another plane to the US/FL. We go through customs in Toronto! Do you think that we may have to drag our luggage from the international area to the domestic area?...DH has back problems!

not Lisa but i can tell you how it works in Toronto:D You WILL pick up your luggage after you have done your initial interview with customs and then go through customs and then the luggage goes right back on a belt (you don't have to lug it everywhere):) Also there are carts where you pick up your luggage (free) so it's not too bad.

Toronto is good - you shouldn't have to go through security again:D just make sure you use the connections part. The luggage will be gone long before that:)

"Bright Star" refers to a severe and/or life threatening medical emergency such as a person not breathing/no heart beat or a combination of both. The Bright Star announcement is broadcast by the Officer of the Watch (once he/she receives the initial call for help) from the Bridge over the ship's P/A system, both in crew and passenger areas. The PA announcement will include an exact location where on the vessel the patient is located, and result in an immediate response from several designated crew members;

i.e. a designated member of the Front Office staff will respond with an automated external defibrillator or AED kept at the entrance to the FO; the on-call nurse will respond, along with a stretcher team and a team bringing the so-called "crash cart", the passenger and crew physician will respond, the hotel manager, chief officer, security officer (acting in his role as Rescue Squad commander), other designated Bridge officers, and at least one Housekeeping supervisor (in charge of the stretcher team and the other, the asst. Rescue Squad commander) will respond. All in all, the response could include from a minimum of fifteen, up to twenty individuals. Besides the P/A announcement each designated member of the first responder team also receives a 911 message on their individual pagers.

As on land with paramedics/EMT/Fire, the goal onboard is to get there (to the victim's location) fast and to restore the ABC (Airway, Breathing and Circulation) of the victim/patient. Once stabilized, the patient/victim is taken to the ship's infirmary for additional care. Bright Star responses have saved lives! Unfortunately, as on land, in some cases it's just too late!

WOW:eek::) That's really impressive Copper - thanks for sharing - I had no idea it involved all those people. Thanks so much!

][/font]

"Bright Star" refers to a severe and/or life threatening medical emergency such as a person not breathing/no heart beat or a combination of both. The Bright Star announcement is broadcast by the Officer of the Watch (once he/she receives the initial call for help) from the Bridge over the ship's P/A system' date=' both in crew and passenger areas. The PA announcement will include an exact location where on the vessel the patient is located, and result in an immediate response from several designated crew members;[/color']

Thanks so much for such a detailed description of "Bright Star". Very, very interesting, John. Thanks!

not Lisa but i can tell you how it works in Toronto:D You WILL pick up your luggage after you have done your initial interview with customs and then go through customs and then the luggage goes right back on a belt (you don't have to lug it everywhere):) Also there are carts where you pick up your luggage (free) so it's not too bad.

Toronto is good - you shouldn't have to go through security again:D just make sure you use the connections part. The luggage will be gone long before that:)

I avoid Toronto airport like the plague. I've found it to be anything but good.

Greetings from Las Vegas where it is HOT! Although not as hot as it was a few days ago.

We are totally unpacked including my make up/toiletries put away. Luggage is stored away. The only signs we were gone is some piles of laundry. Yes I used the laundry on board but somethings I just do not send out :o

We decided we did not want to go out to eat and the refridge looks a bit bare (our son mostly stayed here the last 11 days) so we ordered Pizza and the guys went to go pick it up.

Tomorrow is back to work for both Tom and I and luckily I do not have to leave the house. But Monday morning will have to get up early and hope my car has been fixed. It is in the body shop, I was reared ended a few weeks ago so figured while I was gone was the best time to get it in the shop since I had the check from the Insurance company of the guy who hit me. No phone messages or emails so hoping after 2 weeks it is done.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks. Kathy

Kathy, yes what was answered is true we started in a US port but ended the cruise in a Non US port so no problem at all. We actually talked to a few people on board from San Diego that were on the 7 day Alaska that an On Line Agency told them they could not do it :rolleyes: so they took the Westerdam got off in Vancouver a day early then boarded the Zuiderdam. So very unfortunate but trust me it made for a great 11 day cruise and HAL even considered it a Collectors Series for all of us on board that were Intransit doing the B2B so we got the perks of a Collectors Series. We are already booked for the Alaska portion again next year on the Zuiderdam and cannot wait!!

I want to say it was just a few minutes before 9am, How tight is a tight schedule? Are you doing International?

I actually wish HAL had two buses one for the earlier flights and one for the later flights.There was two groups Red one and Red two, I think Red One could have been flights that were non US and then their luggage may have been at a different area of the airport, then our group was all US. Then there was also those taking the bus to Seattle for later flights like Melodie and Ron. But there was some confusion with that as well since they had the letter that they were meeting where we were in the Vista Lounge but no one knew anything about their transfers. Now bare in mind at this point is not not anyone from the ship it is those from the Shore Side services at Canada Place that come on board the ship and conduct this.

I will say that just before we went out to our bus that they mentioned they would be started disembarkation services so we were actually one of the very first off the ship.

Hi Lisa. I'm so glad to hear that you had such a great cruise. I love your posts.

I was on the April 9th Zuiderdam sailing and they absolutely had luggage direct. My sister is disabled and we were going to do it, until we found out that we had to be ready to disembark at 7:30. Apparently, it is a TSA thing. I still don't understand why, but there was no getting around it. We decided to just do it the usual way, thus avoiding 2-3 extra hours at the airport, waiting for our 3:00 flight!

Perhaps they didn't have it on your sailing because your return flight was from a Canadian airport?

Maureen

I avoid Toronto airport like the plague. I've found it to be anything but good.

Well, at least in Toronto you don't have to go through security again - you do in Montreal - a real pain:( For whatever reason we tend to go through Montreal more than Toronto - but neither airport is much fun - we just make the best of it - we don't have any choice if we want to go anywhere;)

Greetings from Las Vegas where it is HOT! Although not as hot as it was a few days ago.

We are totally unpacked including my make up/toiletries put away. Luggage is stored away. The only signs we were gone is some piles of laundry. Yes I used the laundry on board but somethings I just do not send out :o

We decided we did not want to go out to eat and the refridge looks a bit bare (our son mostly stayed here the last 11 days) so we ordered Pizza and the guys went to go pick it up.

Tomorrow is back to work for both Tom and I and luckily I do not have to leave the house. But Monday morning will have to get up early and hope my car has been fixed. It is in the body shop, I was reared ended a few weeks ago so figured while I was gone was the best time to get it in the shop since I had the check from the Insurance company of the guy who hit me. No phone messages or emails so hoping after 2 weeks it is done.

Kathy, yes what was answered is true we started in a US port but ended the cruise in a Non US port so no problem at all. We actually talked to a few people on board from San Diego that were on the 7 day Alaska that an On Line Agency told them they could not do it :rolleyes: so they took the Westerdam got off in Vancouver a day early then boarded the Zuiderdam. So very unfortunate but trust me it made for a great 11 day cruise and HAL even considered it a Collectors Series for all of us on board that were Intransit doing the B2B so we got the perks of a Collectors Series. We are already booked for the Alaska portion again next year on the Zuiderdam and cannot wait!!

Wow Lisa - you are really organized:eek: much more than I;) Already unpacked and everything put away - impressive.

It's nice that HAL considered this a collectors' cruise for you - just curious as to what 'perks' the collectors got? (if you don't mind sharing).

Welcome home and thanks again for a wonderful thread.

Thank you for allowing us to travel along. Funny when you mentioned back to work I paused for a second I thought you were retired. Lol. Then I thought wow Lisa is amazing. All unpacked and ready for work. So happy to read how much you enjoyed your vacation.

Thanks to LadyLayla and to Lisa for the explanation of how to take a Pacific Coast cruise followed by an Alaska cruise and not run afoul of any regulations. As soon as the Pacific Coast cruises become available for 2013 I'll be booking!

Thanks Lisa for taking us along on this cruise and the great pictures. I really enjoed it!

Kathy

Archived