LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Lisa: Thank you for keeping us posted. The new dock was in last year. We docked there on the Amsterdam. It is North of the big Tongas store on the narrows. Pictures were great.

I thought maybe this dock was new last year. When we were here last year on the Westerdam we were docked at the farthest dock at the other end. It has not been since 2004 that we were up on this end.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Lisa,

Will James Deering still be on board for the July 28th cruise?

Loving your posts and pictures!!

No unfortunately he leaves to go to the Oosterdam the start of the second week of June.

Lisa,

Did the Z serve up some great Pea Soup during the glacier sailing?

Ted

Yes it was really good. More chopped onions actually it was a bit more chunky rather than puree.

Sorry to say Lisa, your voyage is coming to an end. I see your ship looks like it is getting ready to pull out of Ketchikan and that means tomorrow will be your last Sea Day. I hope the weather is good and that you can enjoy the outside decks as you head back to Vancouver. When I do this voyage I do a lot of packing in the morning because I usually find the afternoon and evening scenery to be quite nice. Have a nice sail away from Ketchikan.

Thursday May 17th, 2012

Good Evening from the MS Zuiderdam.

It is sad to say we are becoming short timers here on the Zuiderdam.The time as flown by so quickly and it has just been a perfect cruise. We have been cruising HAL since April 2003 and all but a small handfull have been 7 day cruises we are loving being on the ship that few days longer. The Hawaii cruise last fall basically got us hooked on the longer cruises. We are even considering canceling our 7 day NCL in November to be able to do the 10 day here on the Zuiderdam. Although doing longer cruises means doing less cruises per year.

This evening was nice we went early dinner which was very good and appetizer I had that was just amazing was Goat Cheesecake with Red Onion Jam. This is a Savory goat Cheese cheesecake on a crumble puff pastry base, topped with spiced red union jam. All I can say it was was fantastic.. Tom had the Beef and Chicken Satay appetizers. Then he had the Red Wine Braised Brisket, although he really liked it he liked the version I make a bit better ;)

I had the Grill Lamb Chops with Oregano and Apple Chutney, I loved the Butter Nut Squash they served with it.

After dinner was the VIP party in the Crow's Nest which was well attended and fun. Ron and Melodie left right at 8 since they had Pinnacle Reservations, we stayed up in the Crow's Nest for about an hour and half longer, then went down to find them to let them know we would join them for dinner the last night.

Tomorrow is the Mariner Lunch, this should be interesting since there are only 17 Mariners on board I think and I am pretty sure it is only 8 or 9 Four Star Mariners. There is one couple getting their Copper Medallion. Robert the Pinnacle Manager keeps joking with Melodie and Ron and Tom and I that when we are sitting there we are 16 Stars :D

Tomorrow afternoon James Cielen will do an afternoon show at 2:00pm called Close Up Magic with James Cielen and sadly sometime in there we will need to pack :(

Any questions anyone has I should be able to answer next week.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

Oh Lisa - can't believe how fast time flies by (especially when you are on a cruise). It is nearly over:( As always, have enjoyed your live posts - enjoy the final moments of your cruise:D:D

I, too, have enjoyed your "Live From" thread, Lisa. It is indeed hard to believe your cruise is almost over. The goat cheese appetizer and lamb chops sound perfect!!!

Enjoy your last day and the Mariner's Lunch.

Thursday May 17th, 2012

It is sad to say we are becoming short timers here on the Zuiderdam.The time as flown by so quickly and it has just been a perfect cruise. We have been cruising HAL since April 2003 and all but a small handfull have been 7 day cruises we are loving being on the ship that few days longer. The Hawaii cruise last fall basically got us hooked on the longer cruises. We are even considering canceling our 7 day NCL in November to be able to do the 10 day here on the Zuiderdam. Although doing longer cruises means doing less cruises per year.

This evening was nice we went early dinner which was very good and appetizer I had that was just amazing was Goat Cheesecake with Red Onion Jam. This is a Savory goat Cheese cheesecake on a crumble puff pastry base, topped with spiced red union jam. All I can say it was was fantastic.. Tom had the Beef and Chicken Satay appetizers. Then he had the Red Wine Braised Brisket, although he really liked it he liked the version I make a bit better ;)

I had the Grill Lamb Chops with Oregano and Apple Chutney, I loved the Butter Nut Squash they served with it.

After dinner was the VIP party in the Crow's Nest which was well attended and fun. Ron and Melodie left right at 8 since they had Pinnacle Reservations, we stayed up in the Crow's Nest for about an hour and half longer, then went down to find them to let them know we would join them for dinner the last night.

Tomorrow is the Mariner Lunch, this should be interesting since there are only 17 Mariners on board I think and I am pretty sure it is only 8 or 9 Four Star Mariners. There is one couple getting their Copper Medallion. Robert the Pinnacle Manager keeps joking with Melodie and Ron and Tom and I that when we are sitting there we are 16 Stars :D

Tomorrow afternoon James Cielen will do an afternoon show at 2:00pm called Close Up Magic with James Cielen and sadly sometime in there we will need to pack :(

Cielen is on the Zuiderdam now! The last I heard of him he was still on the Eurodam.

By the way, I have done that 10Sunfarer Cruise on Rotterdam, Volendam and the Zuiderdam and it is a great cruise. I think you would love it!

Friday May 18, 2012

Good Evening from the MS Zuiderdam

This will be my last report and it is totally LIVE because I have quite a few Internet minutes left so might as well use them.

This is the time in a cruise that I actually get a bit depressed. I am not one that get's depressed in normal life but I really get the blues on the last day especially on very good cruises like this past 11 days has been.

We came on the Zuiderdam expecting her to be the arm pit of HAL and to our amazement we found her to be in really good shape much better than we expect for a 10 year old ship. This was a ship in a very long time that we honestly did not know as many crew has we have in recent cruises other than a few that we already knew were going to be here. But we made new friends with crew and so many of them really love the Zuiderdam and wish to stay here which says a lot. Tom and I are booked for the NCL Dawn for our next cruise in November but may change our minds to go on the Zuiderdam for 2 days earlier for a 10 day in November. But there are a lot of things to consider before we would make the change but we are definitely returning to the Zuiderdam next May 7th to do this exact same Alaska cruise to start in San Diego.

Today was another fun day with the small but fun Pre Lunch Mariner Reception for the 4 Star. There were 9 of us and 4 of us were Pathfinderess and her husband and Tom and I. Of course we had fun. We had a photo taken of this small group that was very unique and tomorrow night once I am home I may try to take a photo of it and post here ;)

Now they probably will not do it after our sailing but there was a Suite Lunch today as well as the Mariner lunch. They had an Indonesian Lunch in the Pinnacle at 12:30 but the Mariner lunch was at 11:30 we went to the Mariner lunch and Melodie and Ron went to the Pinnacle.

Then late this afternoon we were invited to the Q and A which was interesting but everyone was very positive with few complaints and definitely nothing major.

Then we ended the evening sharing a table with Melodie and Ron in the Pinnacle.

Well my minutes are about gone so I will say my final.....

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam:)

Lisa,

Have enjoyed reading your posts and the accompanying photos.

Thank you.

You mention that you went to a late afternoon Q & A, was that with the Hotel Manager, Captain etc?

If so, was there any mention of when Holland America will ban smoking on balconies as well as staterooms?

Lisa thank you so much for all of your posts. It's always a good sign if you are sad that your cruise is nearly over - it means you are having a good time:D:D Wishing you and Tom smooth disembarkation and safe travels home. Thanks for taking us along with you:):):)

Friday May 18, 2012

Good Evening from the MS Zuiderdam

This will be my last report and it is totally LIVE because I have quite a few Internet minutes left so might as well use them.

This is the time in a cruise that I actually get a bit depressed. I am not one that get's depressed in normal life but I really get the blues on the last day especially on very good cruises like this past 11 days has been.

We came on the Zuiderdam expecting her to be the arm pit of HAL and to our amazement we found her to be in really good shape much better than we expect for a 10 year old ship. This was a ship in a very long time that we honestly did not know as many crew has we have in recent cruises other than a few that we already knew were going to be here. But we made new friends with crew and so many of them really love the Zuiderdam and wish to stay here which says a lot. Tom and I are booked for the NCL Dawn for our next cruise in November but may change our minds to go on the Zuiderdam for 2 days earlier for a 10 day in November. But there are a lot of things to consider before we would make the change but we are definitely returning to the Zuiderdam next May 7th to do this exact same Alaska cruise to start in San Diego.

Today was another fun day with the small but fun Pre Lunch Mariner Reception for the 4 Star. There were 9 of us and 4 of us were Pathfinderess and her husband and Tom and I. Of course we had fun. We had a photo taken of this small group that was very unique and tomorrow night once I am home I may try to take a photo of it and post here ;)

Now they probably will not do it after our sailing but there was a Suite Lunch today as well as the Mariner lunch. They had an Indonesian Lunch in the Pinnacle at 12:30 but the Mariner lunch was at 11:30 we went to the Mariner lunch and Melodie and Ron went to the Pinnacle.

Then late this afternoon we were invited to the Q and A which was interesting but everyone was very positive with few complaints and definitely nothing major.

Then we ended the evening sharing a table with Melodie and Ron in the Pinnacle.

Well my minutes are about gone so I will say my final.....

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam:)

Bob Brown, on our Bermuda Roll Call, has a name for that, Lisa. It's called P.C.D.B. = Post Cruise Depression Blues!

Bob Brown, on our Bermuda Roll Call, has a name for that, Lisa. It's called P.C.D.B. = Post Cruise Depression Blues!

This is serious!!! Wonder if we got a doctor's note if we could book another cruise to cure it and claim as a tax deduction too ... :D

We always know a cruise was a HUGE success when the last day comes and we don't want to leave.

Thursday May 17th, 2012

How unusual for there to be so few Mariners especially given it's a Vista ship. I don't think in all our cruises, we've ever seen such a tiny group. HAL must be delighted...... proof they are attracting new guests which is any company's goal. :)

Thanks for taking us along with you again, Lisa.

So happy you enjoyed yourselves so much.

Safe home. :)

Greetings from YVR otherwise known as Vancouver International Airport. At this moment I am a bit frustrated because I had been writing a very long report for the past 30 minutes and was about to post and suddenly my laptop just shut off loosing everything :mad: So let me attempt to start this over, there was so much I had written.

We arrived here almost an hour ago now using HAL's transfers. Our flight is not till 3pm and we will not be able to check in till noon. Despite it being the first of the season I can say they were slightly more organized that in previous years but that is not to say they had their act totally together :D There are pros and cons to using HAL's Transfers. The pro is that you do not see your luggage till you arrive at the airport which is quite easy and no hassling dragging your luggage. The con is that you are the first off the ship we had to meet at 7:30 in the Vista Lounge and they were taking us to our bus at 8:00. The Pinnacle did not open till 7am so no relaxing breakfast on board, and no chance to give hugs and final good byes to our friends. Because of not having to hassle with the luggage we will more than likely do this again next year but we do have a long wait once we are here at the airport :o

It was quite crazy at Canada Place this morning, there was to be 12,000 plus passengers disembarking and embarking today. NCL was over at Ballentyne Pier, we were in our normal slip and there was also Diamond Princess and Sapphire and possible another ship coming in. There was going to be such a huge crowd they were using the Convention Center to place all the embarking passengers and allow each ship one hour to embark passengers if you were not there at the allotted time for that ship then you had to wait till closer to 3 to get on board. I think the Zuiderdam was going to be between 11 and 12, if you arrived after 12 you would not get to board till after 3.

On a sad note about an hour before we docked (but we were right at the Lion's Gate Bridge) I heard something I had never heard in all of my cruises and that was a Bright Star for a deck 5 aft cabin. Such a sad way to end a cruise plus unfortunate that a few miles or so out the Officer's Ship phones must be turned off. Canada does not allow them to use them so they must rely on their person cell phones to contact other Officers which I am sure makes it even harder when there is an emergency such as this.

Sheila, we most certainly do have P.C.D.B. this was truly one of our best HAL cruises. I honestly cannot think of a negative thing. I really prefer the Thermal Suite on the Zuiderdam, the crew and Officers are the best and the food was delicious. We had fantastic weather despite being cold it was beautiful and the snow views were amazing. It will certainly beat the heat of 100 degrees we will deal with in Vegas and especially tonight with our A/C that has gone out so we will deal with that tomorrow. Tom is going to look at it tonight and hoping something silly like our Son did not flip it over to Cool. The only bad thing was having to leave this morning and not being able to give final hugs and good byes :(

We are now waiting in the Food Court area at YVR will probably grab a bit to eat in about an hour, then go check in for our Philippine Airline flight to Las Vegas. To my surprise this area of the airport is starting to look run down. I know it is not that old and we have been here several times before but to my surprise the ladies restroom had 3 out of order toilets and 2 sinks with out of order signed. The signs looks like they had been there a while on the sinks. Oddly I never saw an out of order public toilet on the ship although there was one sink that was broken and the ladies room toilet up near the Crow's Nest the soap dispenser is broken but they had nice ceramic soap dispense there instead. I guess Ship happens in airports too :D

Signing off from YVR and sadly no longer on the Zuiderdam.:(

On a sad note about an hour before we docked (but we were right at the Lion's Gate Bridge) I heard something I had never heard in all of my cruises and that was a Bright Star for a deck 5 aft cabin. Such a sad way to end a cruise plus unfortunate that a few miles or so out the Officer's Ship phones must be turned off. Canada does not allow them to use them so they must rely on their person cell phones to contact other Officers which I am sure makes it even harder when there is an emergency such as this.

Signing off from YVR and sadly no longer on the Zuiderdam.:(

What is a Bright Star?

Archived