LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Love sailing along with you on Zuiderdam. Thanks so much for sharing your 'Live From' for us land locked cruisers. ;)

Someone just posted from their Westerdam cruise that there is now a $10 charge for Caneletto. Can you scope this out and see if it is going to go fleet wide? Thanks again.

<snip>

Someone just posted from their Westerdam cruise that there is now a $10 charge for Caneletto. Can you scope this out and see if it is going to go fleet wide? Thanks again.

If it's true, I wonder if they'll give a Mariners Discount for Canaletto?

Would you care to explain? Do you think we were all lying???

I'm not Kazu, but I believe you are misunderstanding. I think she meant it to say that 'as far as she is concerned', all that you reported was indeed true. Sorry if I'm on the wrong track, and maybe I should MYOB, but I really don't think she meant it in the tone you received it.

Sunday May 13, 2012 Or depending on what time zone very Early Monday May 14th ;)

Happy Belated Mother's Day:)

Well, this is a bit of a late report but we kind of closed down the Crow's Nest tonight. Tom and I and Melodie and her husband were up in the Crow's Nest for several hours talking, then Mr Deering found us and we talked quite a bit longer but we are gaining an extra hour of sleep tonight so figured that was OK

Today was one of those lazy Sea Days. Tom and I both slept in till after 9, then I returned to the Thermal Suite in the Greenhouse Spa to spend a few hours while Tom headed to the Crow's Nest to read. We met back at the cabin a little after 12. I showered and we went into the Neptune where we sat and spoke with Melodie and her husband there as well, then headed to the Lido for lunch. Then came back to the cabin to watch the beautiful scenic views from our cabin and read.

We have done 8 previous Alaska cruises and of those only one other was a sailing out of Vancouver on the Ryndam many years ago. Let me say that the first sea day sailing out of Vancouver is by far more scenic. The Inside Passage really is great scenic cruising. Tomorrow we arrive in Juneau around 1:00pm and will be docked out at the A.J. docks where we will have to take the shuttle into town. Now the interesting thing is the original itinerary I had from Holland America stated we were to go to Tracy Arm prior to arriving in Juneau and the ship will do that starting the next cruise but not ours, our well :(

Tonight was our first Formal night, as we left our cabin Tom was guessing he would be one of the few in a Tux, well getting into the elevator there were two other guys with a Tux on. To our surprise most were very dressed and actually far more than a normal Alaska cruise. We actually saw more men in Tux than we did on the Westerdam several weeks ago.

Dinner was actually quite good in the main Dining Room and now that I have tried the Lamb and actually liked it I ordered the Lamb for dinner this evening and it too was very good. Service has been excellent, after dinner Tom and I went to the Vista Lounge for the Captain's Toast and this evenings show called "In Concert" we had not seen this show and it was not too bad. These Singers and Dancers are pretty good.

I am going to make this a quick report.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam

Thanks for all the comments everyone :)

Everything is going quite well here on the Zuiderdam and there appears to be lots of happy cruisers.

I have not heard anything about Canoletto charging I will however check into that. I also do not have an answer about if there will be a Mariner Discount for Taste of the Pinnacle.Last I knew they were waiting for an answer from Seattle on that.

My DW and I are the same way when it comes to wine. One that we found that actually seems a bit like both is the Gamay Rouge that V Sattui winery in Napa offers.

Truesoldier, Tom and I know V Sattui quite well and have been to the winery, Gamay Rouge was actually the first wine we started drinking many years ago :)

Love sailing along with you on Zuiderdam. Thanks so much for sharing your 'Live From' for us land locked cruisers. ;)

Interesting.

We will all be watching to see if the Canaletto will have a charge on all ships.

Everything is going quite well here on the Zuiderdam and there appears to be lots of happy cruisers.

I have not heard anything about Canoletto charging I will however check into that. I also do not have an answer about if there will be a Mariner Discount for Taste of the Pinnacle.Last I knew they were waiting for an answer from Seattle on that.

Truesoldier, Tom and I know V Sattui quite well and have been to the winery, Gamay Rouge was actually the first wine we started drinking many years ago :)

Thank you. Maybe you will know something by the end of the cruise.

Would you care to explain? Do you think we were all lying???

sorry Startwin I didn't see this - and if I typed incorrectly my apologies. I did not mean that you were lying at all - totally the opposite. I believed you Sorry if I did not say it properly:o

I'm not Kazu, but I believe you are misunderstanding. I think she meant it to say that 'as far as she is concerned', all that you reported was indeed true. Sorry if I'm on the wrong track, and maybe I should MYOB, but I really don't think she meant it in the tone you received it.

you were right - thanks so much:)

Thanks Lisa :) and thanks for your fab report:)

I'm thoroughly enjoying your posts. Thanks for taking us along.

With all the other threads and posts about plumbing problems, have you heard complaints about problems? Your suite is fine evidently but what have you heard elsewhere? What has Mr Deering had to say about all that has gone on recently?

Canaletto--I don't think it is worth $10 extra dollars. I wish they would put a small version of the Tamarind and I would gladly pay the extra.

I'm with you. We had dinner one evening this cruise at Canaletto and also dined there when we were on the Maasdam in January. I just can't warm up to the menu. It's OK...not great. I too would love a "mini-Tamarind" on the ships but I guess that can't be done. We do enjoy the space for our Lido breakfast, though!

After dinner we went to the Suite Welcome Party in the Neptune, I was quite impressed I have never had a Captain tap his glass to quiet everyone so he could speak to all of us about the up coming week. Very interesting/impressive he likes to keep everyone well informed.

This actually sounds like he likes to keep the suite guests informed - as opposed to "everyone."

This actually sounds like he likes to keep the suite guests informed - as opposed to "everyone."

I doubt he swore people to secrecy so it would be info for suite guests only. :rolleyes:

I hope Lisa can come back and tell us if he gave out similar information at other events or in the daily announcements so that "everyone" could be in the know.

Canaletto--I don't think it is worth $10 extra dollars.

I agree that the menu is not likely worth paying an extra $10 for. We don't pay for much extra on a cruise. I might consider paying it on formal night as we don't care to bring formal clothing and we dined in the Canaletto on formal nights. Although we like the Lido for breakfast and lunch, it is not my choice for dinner. Of course all this could be a mute point, as I am not sure about cruising again.

We have done 8 previous Alaska cruises and of Tomorrow we arrive in Juneau around 1:00pm and will be docked out at the A.J. docks where we will have to take the shuttle into town. Now the interesting thing is the original itinerary I had from Holland America stated we were to go to Tracy Arm prior to arriving in Juneau and the ship will do that starting the next cruise but not ours, our well :(

I read a review of someone else who just returned from Alaska, must have been on the Volendam, and they also did not get to Tracy Arm. My guess is there is the "fine print" that says the itinerary may be subject to change. I find this almost unethical on the part of the cruise lines. They know that early May is too early to get into Tracy Arm Fjord because of icing. Yet, they continue to put it on their itineraries. They should have separate booking descriptions for those earlier cruises. The same thing happens with Denali and the cruise tours. The cruise lines know that you cannot take the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali until late May. Yet they will advertise it in their itineraries, without making it clear that the early cruise tours will not include the TWT, but rather a substituted shorter tour. Many come on this board and read that Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm and the Tundra Wilderness Tour are the better options. They go to book a cruise, pick early May to save money, and then find out too late that two of the three scenic options will not be available to them. I know that the adage "buyer beware" applies to everything we as consumers buy, but I just think cruise lines would be more clear about what is and what is not included. Too many travel agents aren't aware of these details either, and their clients get booked on tours that are not what they thought they would be.

Archived