LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Hi Lisa, we are thoroughly enjoying your live reports and are really looking forward to your review of Alaska, wishing you smooth seas from Vancouver. We know how rough these can be.

Diane

Hey Lisa-

Glad to hear that the Zuiderdam spa pool is better suited to you!;)

I would bet you someone tall complained that pool was too shallow originally, thus the others are deeper!

Glad to hear the seas have settled, can't imagine they were worse than coming back from Hawaii! :eek:

Have a great day in Vancouver tomorrow, I love that City!:D

Friday Evening May 11, 2012

Good Evening from the Pacific NW heading toward Vancouver. We are between Vancouver Island and the state of Washington, Within a couple of hours we will pass Victoria on our Port Side before we make the turn to heard toward Vancouver. Absolutely beautiful evening out there with a stunning sunset.

Well at 3pm today we went to our Disembarkation talk but unfortunately they really did not tell us anything the Shore Excursions Manager spoke about signing up for Shore Excursions but if others were like myself I did that several weeks ago. They did tell us that around 5 tonight we would receive our packets with the information of turn around. Well it is now 8:50pm, our cabin steward has made up our cabin which btw was interesting they did not place out the luggage mats. It is as though we are staying in this cabin. Anyway I did call down to the Front Desk ans ask and they claim the packets were sent to the cabins stewards to distribute about 30 minutes ago. I really do not want to me a pain but I kind of would like to know what we are doing tomorrow.

OK I mentioned last night that I would tell you about something different, well earlier tonight we were Guinea Pigs or as a better term Test Subjects for what the Zuiderdam hopes to Roll Out tomorrow night. It is called "Taste of the Pinnacle" being served at the Pinnacle Bar. They attempted to start this on the Oosterdam but it was not continued so they are trying it with the Zuiderdam. We joined a few Officers including the Captain to sit at the Pinnacle Bar and try the menu, with the Wine Pairing, the the Dessert Trio. For $12.00 you choose three items that are mini versions, from the Filet, to the Surf and Turf, the Lamb, Crab Cakes, Filet Burger, the Lobster Bisque, the Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup. I chose the Lamb which I had never tried, the Spicey Thai Soup and Crab Cakes. I have had the Cakes Cakes but have also never tried the Spicy Thai Soup so this gave me a chance to try items I would not have normally ordered. The Wine Pairing with it was also quite nice, they are unsure yet of the price of the cost of that add on.

Then there is a Dessert Sampler for $6.00, Creme Brulee', Strawberry Cheesecake and a Mini Chocolate Volcano Cake. There is also a wine pairing for this as well with sweet wines, sparklings and ports. For right now this will only be offered at the Pinnacle Bar. It was fun and of course I got to make my comments/suggestions of what I thought. I personally thought it was great because so many times the Pinnacle is just way too much food but this was really just right.

After this we headed to the Crow's Nest where there was a Cocktail Party for everyone that was continuing on to Alaska. It was packed, actually it is just under 200 I think they said 187 that were continuing on to Alaska.

They are telling us it should be a beautiful day in Vancouver so I think once we can get moved to the new cabin which will probably be closer to 11:00 we will venture out and see if we can find the Dunn's Deli.

Definitely looking forward to Alaska, of course tonight we are starting to get a sampling of how it will look cruising the Inside Passage, and the biggest shock is stepping out into the balcony and getting the strong smell of ever green trees not something we are use to in the desert of Nevada.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

I was on Amsterdam last june (Alaska) The ship sailed up the inside passage and returned outside. We never had rough weather So it hit or miss

Mary

You were fortunate. We had several days of rough seas on the Amsterdam last summer. Not as bad as what Lisa has experienced on her cruise up the cost, but my DH had some rough days as did other passengers. Fortunately my bonine and ginger worked to keep the motionsickness away.

I'm really enjoying your postings. We will be on the Zuiderdam in mid July following a land tour. I'm really looking forward to our cruise. I'm really following everything so I can plan our time on board.

Oh Lisa - that Pinnacle tasting sounds like so much fun to me:) I hope they do roll it out - but what do they do with ships that don't have a Pinnacle Bar:eek: (like the Prinsendam);)

I love having little 'tastes'. hopefully you found out what the schedule is for today

I get the excitement of smelling the green trees. The first time we visited a friend in Seattle, I couldn't get enough of those firs! I wanted to take them home with me. Here in FL. we are not desert but palms and SAND just don't do it.

Rough seas--Some HAL passengers never get the experience of rough seas and blame it on the ships and captains. Even on the East Coast one can get a heck of a ride on the ocean especially just from NY to Bermuda in the springtime. That is the fun of it!

Enjoy Part Two of your cruise!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences! We're counting down until our turn on the Z and this helps build the excitement. Sorry about the rough weather, hopefully it's smoother as you head up the Inside Passage. I'm watching your arrival on the Vancouver webcam and it does look like a beautiful day. Enjoy :)

What difference does the cabin number make? It won't change the situation. It won't prevent it from happening again. And if the problem has been solved it would just cause undue anxiety for a future cruiser. I just don't see where it helps.

If there is a continuing problem with a particular cabin, revealing the cabin number permits one to avoid the cabin. And if the problem has been fixed, then that, too, can be posted.

Lisa

I wanted to chime in and also say how much I enjoy/and have enjoyed ALL you postings over the last few years. When you just metioned the smell of the ever green trees it took me back to our first Alaska cruise and doing the same thing - stepping out on the balcony and smelling that amazing smell. We will not be cruising this year so I for one will be living vicariously thru all your sailings this year! Keep em coming!!!! Thank you again

Bob

Lisa - Welcome to the Pacific Northwest, the land of continued rain! OK, you are getting a very unusal May gift of sunshine and warm temps. 77-degrees predricted in Seattle! Now lets not tell everyone about the sunshine - we have a rainy reputation that needs to maintained here! Thanks for the postings as I am looking forward hearing more about the Zuidy.

How nice that you were able to be part of a test group for the new offerings at the Pinnacle Bar! I recall hearing about it from someone on the Oosterdam, but didn't realize it had not been continued until you wrote of it.

I hope your weather continues with clear blue skies for good views of everything around you!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Currently sitting on our aft deck (cabin 5185) on the Zuiderdam. What a simply gorgeous day to arrive back in our home city after the 4 night Pacific Coastal. Because of missing Port Angeles due to weather, we arrived early in Vancouver.

Since we live here we have a later time to disembark. Hubby had his usual huge Lido breakfast but I prefer room service!

I must admit I loved our aft cabin-we have always been mid ship in either a deluxe verandah or superior suite so this was a test to first see if I felt claustrophobic in a regular size balcony cabin and secondly if we liked an aft.

I loved the rocking & rolling waves we had and sat several hours on our balcony during it-our cabin felt protected from all the wind etc. However, we discovered an aft is not for my husband when it's bad weather-I won't go into detail but you can imagine!!

Regarding air conditioning and toilet in our specific cabin (5185). Our first night it was delayed flushing for the toilet-up to 2 hours twice. After that it was delayed but usually between 2-10 minutes. It was bizarre because you'd be out in the room & then hear it finally flush.

On air conditioning-I like my room quite cool. We kept the a/c at the coolest always & yet the room never had a chill. I would have thought it would be like an igloo but it wasn't so I'm not sure how it would be in a hot climate during a Panama cruise but we were comfy.

Our aft balcony is huge-wicker chairs all in good condition. The staff on this ship are amazing-but I have always been impressed with the staff on any HAL ship. Our cabin steward, Sugeng (alias Su) was wonderful. Never intrusive but there if we needed anything. Food as always delicious too.

We have another 2 hours to kill before our group color gets called. Just going to sit & eat breakfast on my deck shortly!

Hope everyone carrying on to Alaska has a blast! Am so happy our city decided to show its sunny side today.

Lisa-was nice meeting you at the M&G...have a continued great time aboard the Zuiderdam.

At home now-but wanted to mention that I spoke to several people I met while either dining or just wandering the ship & I always asked them if they were on the Panama cruise & if so did they have any plumbing or a/c issues. They all commented on the plumbing either problems in their cabin or when the system was shut down. It seems the a/c wasn't as big of an issue for most as they got fans but the toilets were.

This morning before we left our cabin the toilet still hadn't flushed after 2 hours-front office was again notified. I'm just glad we did not have to put up with it for 22 nights-it did sound like the last week for the ones I spoke with it improved immensely though thank heavens.

Saturday May 12, 2012

Good Afternoon from Sunny Beautiful Vancouver B.C. Canada

Well to start off where I last left off, we never did get on In-transit package. I think the problem was we fell between the cracks and just guessing we were the only cabin that needed to make a change let along moving from a SY category to SA. We called the Front Desk this morning and finally someone did come and hand deliver us the instruction and our In-transit cards but no new key cards. We went for breakfast, then went to the Front basically they told us they would get us new key cards a bit later but go back to our cabin and our cabin steward would be in touch about moving us. Sure enough they were ready to move us and said as soon as they got work that our new cabin was ready they would move us. So by 10:00 am we were "Movin' On Up" to the Rotterdam deck :-) By 10:20 we were totally unpacked and settled in like this was where we had been from the beginning Diana our Concierge made up our new key cards and we were good to go. We did have to leave the terminal to fo thru CBP Inspection. Then we walked around some but Tom's knee was really bothering him today so he thought it best he would just come back to the ship so we did unfortunately not make it to Dunn's, maybe next year when we do this again.

Coming on board we did need to go thru USBP but because we were In-transit we got to go thru the expedited line and were actually back on the ship rather quickly although confusing but at least next year we will know what to do.

About our new cabin, hopefully Internet will be strong because the cone is right outside our cabin door. What is very interesting is the cabin is clean but looks more worn especially the bathroom. You would think that all the cabins would or should have the same amount of wear and tear or that at least the Deluxe Suites would show less wear. That is not the case, the Cabin 6109 looked in great shape and better than many of the Westerdam or Oosterdam cabins we have been in. But still nothing wrong with it, I have been at 5 Star resorts in Hawaii where they looked a bit worn so actually a ship that is 10 years old with as much use as they get it does look pretty darn good.The SA cabins are big I actually like the layout and drawer space better on the SY. The drawers in the dressing area of the SA are smaller than the drawers at the make up desk on the SY. While Deluxe Verandah Suites have lots of nice perks the best bargain really is the Superior Verandah Suites but that is just my opinion.

I have to say in all the Suites and even regular cabins we have had on HAL the only Suite we have had that the bed was on the Right hand side when you entered was back many years ago on the Veendam. Oddly in all the Suites we have had the bathrooms have never been on the right when you enter. We are just really turned around. Unpacking and rearranging our belongings just feels weird. But I guess that just goes with today's Drink of the day which is "Twilight Zone" which is Light rum, Dark rum, Pineapple Juice and Orange Juice and yes Tom and I had one for lunch in the Lido.

Oh, then the new thing with Suites I had briefly read on CC or actually was mentioned to us by CCers from the 4 day but they no longer give the complimentary bottle of champagne in your Suite instead when you come into the Neptune they give you a glass of Champagne/sparkling. This is actually fine with us since the champagne they use is not that great. So Tom and I did have a glass but added some cranberry juice to it which improved it greatly ;-)

Now we have only done one previous B2B but this really does feel strange like starting a whole new cruise.

Hopefully today's beautiful weather is an indication of what our upcoming weather will be for the week.

Tonight we have early dining at table 82 or at least I hope that is where we are, then at 7:15 is the Suite Welcome Party in the Neptune Lounge. Tonight's show is Let Us Entertain You of which I have lost track of how many times that has been the first night's show so I am sure we will skip.

I guess I will sign off for now and see if my Internet minutes carried over.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like you're having a great cruise already with more days to come!!

If you think of it, could you bring home a copy of the Pinnacle Grill menu and post it? We're sailing on Zuiderdam July 28th and the menu would give me something to drool over in anticipation.

Have a great rest of your cruise!!!!

Here is Pinnacle Grill Menu previously posted by KK.

This is newest Pinnacle Menu -- copy it and run it off for your friend:

Pinnacle Menu - $25 per person -- can be booked online, via Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 or once on the ship

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV - beef broth with aged cognac & caramelized onions, baked with gruyere croutons

Spicy Chicken Coconut Soup - fragrant coconut milk & lemon grass

Lobster Bisque - crème fraiche & aged sherry

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail - brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad - sliced purple onion, balsamic vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing

Baby Arugula Salad - tossed with sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and a warm bacon dressing topped with smoked bacon & chopped egg

Caesar Salad - crisp romaine tossed with very own Caesar dressing, grated parmesan cheese, garlic croutons and anchovies, prepared tableside

Dungeness Crab Cakes - spiral shaved cucumber & sweet chili-mustard sauce

Pinnacle Ocean Platter - carpaccio of lightly smoked salmon, accompanied with hot smoked salmon, sea scallops and wasabi cream

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse - served with our own hand crafted sauces: sun-dried tomato; Master Chef's green peppercorn bearnaise; horseradish mustard; hollandaise; maitre d' garlic butter

Colorado Lamb Chops - spiced apple chutney & fresh mint jelly

Grilled Veal Chop - marinated overnight in a savory blend of rosemary, garlic & pepper vinegar with scallions

Chicken Breast - stuffed with spinach & garlic herb cheese & served with lemon garlic beurre blanc sauce

Filet Steak Diane - pan-seared medallions of beef tenderloins & enriched with mushrooms & cognac

Filet Mignon Burger - a half-pound of freshly ground beef, fin herbs & truffle-infused

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon - troll caught (for sustainability) in Alaskan waters, quick seared & broiled, served with your choice of lemon garlic herb splash or sesame-soy kalbi

Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail - on a bed of wilted spinach & arugula, mustard seed & "mangochurri" pesto sauce or melted butter

Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi - roasted garlic & cilantro butter

Pinnacle Signature Skewers:

Beef Delight - beef tenderloin marinated with parsley, onion, thyme, rosemary & marjoram

Tantalizing Lamb - lamb loins marinated with herbs, garlic, cumin, honey, coriandor & red chilies, served with yogurt sauce

Chicken & Turkey Temptation - with onion confit & tomato coulis

Delectable Seafood - shrimps & swordfish, seasoned with lemon, paprika, garlic, mustard, cayenne & dill

Vegetarian Zen - array of mixed vegetables seasoned with herbs de provence

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

[/Quote]

Archived