LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Good Morning from Skagway Alaska where it is down right cold. I think it is 1 or 2 degrees c which is about 34f. It is still early here and could have slept in but a bit more outside noise.

Our White Pass Railway excursion is not till 12:30 this afternoon so we will have a late breakfast, skip lunch because we have Pinnacle reservations to dine with our friend on board this evening.

As you can see I am still one finger typing with my phone. I just figured out I can take a picture and post it with this Tapatalk. So I will post a few others from yesterday too :D

The pictures in this post I just took from our verandah unfortunately not a great view but the snow capped mountains are pretty.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1337097014548.jpg.17df898754a3e8b4ed6fe514304c231d.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337097048787.jpg.89e832d1896e7db070a1141c505c7e29.jpg

VOLENDAM does not feature Tracy Arm; she visits Glacier Park. That reviewer might have been mistaken.

Cheers

My Volendam cruise (in 21-ish days) visits Tracy Arm - I purchased the catamaran excursion that leaves from the ship...

Quick question about the smoked salmon. Are you able to bring it back on board or do you have to mail it home?

We used to bring it back onto the ship and take it home with us in our carry-ons.

But we find it much easier to just go on line and have it shipped to us. We buy smoked salmon a coupe of times a year from Salmon Etc. -- we were introduced to them years ago through a promotion on a HAL ship. We don't get the canned salmon. We get the salmon in the packets -- that way I can store them in the cupboard and use as I need them.

Good Morning from Skagway Alaska where it is down right cold. I think it is 1 or 2 degrees c which is about 34f. It is still early here and could have slept in but a bit more outside noise.

Our White Pass Railway excursion is not till 12:30 this afternoon so we will have a late breakfast, skip lunch because we have Pinnacle reservations to dine with our friend on board this evening.

As you can see I am still one finger typing with my phone. I just figured out I can take a picture and post it with this Tapatalk. So I will post a few others from yesterday too :D

The pictures in this post I just took from our verandah unfortunately not a great view but the snow capped mountains are pretty.

Hope you enjoy your White Pass Train ride -- we have done it a couple of times and loved it.

Ok great the pictures posted.

Here are a couple pictures from yesterday.

Since I now know it is so easy to upload pics from my camera phone I will be doing more ;)

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam

uploadfromtaptalk1337098278447.jpg.f3d405eaca745da0e20a6885e8496182.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337098296681.jpg.ba765710241f1989b9d5129e296d0d0f.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337098327652.jpg.c62bf47f7223399d907f4b6821cbe722.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337098371087.jpg.8de26ac12e51b89d52f6c9281671e537.jpg

Hello again Ok I an now hooked with being able to post photos.

It is busy morning in the Lido. We thought because it was late we missed the crowds.

Also here is our view from our table in the Lido of the Infinity against the rock wall.

uploadfromtaptalk1337103465405.jpg.fde55c9e6103e3f8e2a9a24f220a8a46.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337103477872.jpg.343683318f86480c545b13dd51fe28ad.jpg

We have been on quite a few ships when a fire broke out -- most fires were in the silos.

I don't know where you get your information from, but HAL ships don't have "silos", at least not since the last "Dyk" cargo ships left the fleet. Down on the decks where the crew live, in the aft part of the vessel, there are storage rooms, some refrigerated, where supplies/dry food/meats/fruits/liquids, etc are stored until taken to the galleys for preparation. There are no "fires" in those rooms!

If and when shipboard fires occur, they tend to happen in the galleys/hot plates, in the garbage room, paint store, engine room, sometimes in electrical fan rooms and by guests carelessly smoking/not using ashtrays, and not thinking where their ashes and/or butts wind up

We used to bring it back onto the ship and take it home with us in our carry-ons.

But we find it much easier to just go on line and have it shipped to us. We buy smoked salmon a coupe of times a year from Salmon Etc. -- we were introduced to them years ago through a promotion on a HAL ship. We don't get the canned salmon. We get the salmon in the packets -- that way I can store them in the cupboard and use as I need them.

What makes these packets of salmon different than the packets we can buy in such places as Trader Joes or other good grocers? :confused:

I'm a huge 'salmon eater' and certainly know the difference between wild and farm raised but most of the packets in good grocers are Alaska salmon, aren't they?

Great pictures Lisa, we are enjoying these along with your live reports. Thank you for taking us along............. we have never been to Alaska, sure would love to do that cruise in the future.

Diane

Thank you so much for the pics of beautiful Skagway (brings back wonderful memories). Glad you did not have rain. I think it was in Skagway (could have been anywhere in Alaska really) that DH and I realized that were were completely smitten with Alaska and Alaska cruising. Skagway is gorgeous. Lucky you heading off to Glacier Bay tomorrow. And thank you for your reports - we are taking the Zuiderdam for the first time next year (assuming the toilet issue doesn't get too much worse :eek:), so I really appreciate your posts, as well as the posts from other who have been on the ship recently.

When you are using your camera phone on the ship to post photos, are you able to do it within your "minutes" or is there a roaming charge? (Are you "in Alaska" while sailing from one port to another? Does that matter with cell phones?)

Also how do you upload them directly to CC?

What makes these packets of salmon different than the packets we can buy in such places as Trader Joes or other good grocers? :confused:

I'm a huge 'salmon eater' and certainly know the difference between wild and farm raised but most of the packets in good grocers are Alaska salmon, aren't they?

We don't have a Trader Joes -- only grocery stores in our area that are decent is Giant Eagle. Won't shop at Save-A-Lot -- everything is just stacked one box on top of another and brands I have never heard of -- very limited goods.

Won't buy meats, etc at WalMart either.

Giant Eagle only has salmon in the fresh refrigerator cases which you have to use right away.

We do not live in an area where we have a lot of choices in grocery stores.

The packets can be stored for a couple of years.

Archived