Should RCI have a disclaimer for Coco Cay? Grand Cayman etc?

Im just curious as to what everyone thinks.

Most of us here know that making a stop at Coco Cay is very "hit or miss" and is according to how calm the seas are for safe tendering.

That said, we here, are a very small part of the cruising population!

There were MANY people very upset that we missed Coco Cay on my Freedom cruise and I actually felt sorry for Guest Relations for the abuse and complaining they were having to put up with.

Im just wondering if RCI should put an asterisk beside Coco Cay on their itineraries or have a disclaimer saying that this stop could be missed due to rough seas and unsafe tendering :confused:

Maybe they already do have this in place and people have just missed it? :confused:

I guess the same could be said for Grand Cayman as well?

I see where you are coming from, but Royal isn't going to blatantly put anything out there that may cause someone to not book a particular itinerary. The language they have in the cruise contract stating that ports can be missed with no compensation due is all they are going to provide.

And even if they did what you suggest, that won't stop some idiots from showing their a$$ by verbally abusing the guest relations staff.

Maybe there is a disclaimer somewhere but unless the captain offers some kind of compensation I think a lot of people will still complain. On our cruise last December on the EoS they cut our day short at Labadee because the weather was bad. Just after we left Labadee the captain came on and said we will stay at St. Maarten an extra hour because he felt really bad about the weather at Labadee. This seemed to raise spirits onboard and everyone was happy. I guess that's why I like that captain so much.

Fortunately, we've never missed any ports, but I understand it can happen. Still, I would be pretty disappointed if (when?) it were to happen, since the ports are the primary reason I choose a specific cruise. The onboard experience is further down the list of my reasons for cruising.

I think there is some sort of verbiage on the website about these stops as they are tender stops like Ports are subject to change.. GC is less likely to have issues since the area in which the ships anchor per se' is kind of in a big cove sort of.... but Coco Cay is not and more susceptible to bad weather issues. IMO people that complain to Guest Services about the weather are being childish. HOW can RCI control this.

Im just curious as to what everyone thinks.

Most of us here know that making a stop at Coco Cay is very "hit or miss" and is according to how calm the seas are for safe tendering.

That said, we here, are a very small part of the cruising population!

There were MANY people very upset that we missed Coco Cay on my Freedom cruise and I actually felt sorry for Guest Relations for the abuse and complaining they were having to put up with.

Im just wondering if RCI should put an asterisk beside Coco Cay on their itineraries or have a disclaimer saying that this stop could be missed due to rough seas and unsafe tendering :confused:

Maybe they already do have this in place and people have just missed it? :confused:

I guess the same could be said for Grand Cayman as well?

They do... If you have a cruise booked, go to your Cruise Details tab and look at the paragraph next to the map... After the triple asterisk you will read...

*** All itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please confirm your itinerary on the Review page before purchasing your cruise.

So... If people are b!+c#!ng because of the change, it just means they didn't read ANYTHING in their reservation contract.:rolleyes:

I am in the group of 'could care less if we make 1 stop just as long as I am on a ship'...

They do... If you have a cruise booked, go to your Cruise Details tab and look at the paragraph next to the map... After the triple asterisk you will read...

*** All itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please confirm your itinerary on the Review page before purchasing your cruise.

So... If people are b!+c#!ng because of the change, it just means they didn't read ANYTHING in their reservation contract.:rolleyes:

I am in the group of 'could care less if we make 1 stop just as long as I am on a ship'...

I totally agree with you Steve, plus if their travel agent didnt tell them, the TA is a moron too as they should know better too.

Thank you for not making me have to write all of that ;)

You are so 100% correct. It's crazy how many people sign contracts without ever reading anything!...

It clearly states ports are subject to change due to weather/itinerary changes.

And I'm right there with you, yea it sucks sometimes to miss ports, but honestly I book the cruise to be on the ship and not on the islands. Otherwise I would take a plane and book a hotel!

just my .2

Me too :) I knew good and well the Coco Cay stop could be cancelled on my Freedom cruise and at first, was kind of leery of the thought of basically having 4.5 days at sea!

I wasnt bad at all though!

Thank you for not making me have to write all of that ;)

You are so 100% correct. It's crazy how many people sign contracts without ever reading anything!...

It clearly states ports are subject to change due to weather/itinerary changes.

And I'm right there with you, yea it sucks sometimes to miss ports, but honestly I book the cruise to be on the ship and not on the islands. Otherwise I would take a plane and book a hotel!

just my .2

I will be honest in that I have never really read "word for word" the cruise contract.

I do know the highlights of it though such as ports can be missed due to certain circumstances and you are basilly giving up ALL rights by agreeing to it :D:p

I will be honest in that I have never really read "word for word" the cruise contract.

I do know the highlights of it though such as ports can be missed due to certain circumstances and you are basilly giving up ALL rights by agreeing to it :D:p

I get about 2 pages in and say forget it... Just use your brain and go with the flow...

I could see where a new cruiser could become frustrated with missing a port. But for those of us who have been on ships before, we know what to expect on a daily basis and have tips and tricks to enjoy the day no matter what comes about.

We took the Freedom last May (2011) and made it to Coco Cay. Since then we had 2 Monarch sailings and missed Coco Cay both times. We are booked on the Freedom Eastern this winter and with all the recent Coco Cay cancellations, I am leery of keeping the booking. I do like sea days, but 4 sea days and two ports days is not my preference.

RCCL really doesn’t disclose how often a ship cannot make it to Coco Cay or other scheduled ports. It would be nice to see stats.

The Monarch hits Nassau first and then Coco Cay second. I often overhear folks say “oh, I’ll stay on the ship in Nassau because tomorrow we’ll be on the beach in Coco Cay” I an tempted to tell them that the Coco Cay stop is not guaranteed. ( but don’t) .

No one like to miss a port!

M

We took the Freedom last May (2011) and made it to Coco Cay. Since then we had 2 Monarch sailings and missed Coco Cay both times. We are booked on the Freedom Eastern this winter and with all the recent Coco Cay cancellations, I am leery of keeping the booking. I do like sea days, but 4 sea days and two ports days is not my preference.

RCCL really doesn’t disclose how often a ship cannot make it to Coco Cay or other scheduled ports. It would be nice to see stats.

The Monarch hits Nassau first and then Coco Cay second. I often overhear folks say “oh, I’ll stay on the ship in Nassau because tomorrow we’ll be on the beach in Coco Cay” I an tempted to tell them that the Coco Cay stop is not guaranteed. ( but don’t) .

No one like to miss a port!

M

Oh boy....now that i can see an angry guest. That would suck to stay on the ship to then find out your not going on land at all. :eek:

It's just a risk you have to be willing to take with almost any cruise itinerary. Just like flights and excursions can be cancelled due to weather. I remember reading a few months back about ships not being able to dock at Falmouth because of high winds.

We have been really lucky as far as CocoCay- we have made it 4 out of 5 times, and the time we missed it, we made it on the last day, instead of the scheduled first day. Some people are really hard to please, there were people wanting money back at Guest Relations because we were going on a different day than scheduled. Give me a break!

Count me as a member of that group too.

Even if they post a disclaimer in bold large type, some people will still find a reason to complain.

How many disclaimers should they post. Should they include a statement that on occasion the movement of the ship, due to high seas or other weather conditions, might cause some to experience sea sickness, that even ports where the ship is going to dock can be missed because of a multitude of various reasons, that rain might interfere with certain shipboard activities, or that high winds may cause them to prohibit access to the outside decks at times or any of the hundreds of other circumstances that might occur? And if they didn't list every possible contingency, would people be justified in complaining if one of those things happened during their cruise?

At some point people have to realize that "Stuff Happens" and we have to accept it when it does, roll with the punches and "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade".:D

Disclaimers are not, the "complainers" will always find a reason to bitch. It's in their nature.

I think I was on the sailing the OP references (FOS 4/22) and from what I saw from my balcony before the Captain announced, there was NO way we were going to tender in.

I could see waves breaking onto and over the tender pier.

Those that complained at GR would really have had something to complain about if tendering was attempted.

It would have been crazy to even try.

I think I was on the sailing the OP references (FOS 4/22) and from what I saw from my balcony before the Captain announced, there was NO way we were going to tender in.

I watched his speech from the cabin tv and they even focused in real close and you could see the HUGE waves crashing the shore!

People will find anything to fuss about I guess.

I understand why they won't, but I wish they would post the stats for how often Coco Cay is missed. It might help people when choosing itineraries. We missed it on Freedom in March and had only 2 ports in the whole week. It was not ideal. I've missed the private island before and on all other cruises - even another RCCL cruise, they took us somewhere else either on the same day or a different day - on my NCL cruise we went to Nassau, on a RCCL Western route, we went back to Cozumel for a second day.

I know they can change things whenever they want - in fact the Western cruise I mentioned was supposed to go to Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Labadee and we went to Key West, Cozumel, and Cozumel, but even though there were only three instead of four port days, and they were all goofed up, I left with a better impression than the Freedom cruise. You'd think - with all those sea days and with how often it happens, that they could find somewhere else to take people.

I understand why they won't, but I wish they would post the stats for how often Coco Cay is missed. It might help people when choosing itineraries.

Which, I'm guessing, is why they don't. They need to sell all itineraries so they aren't going to publish an itinerary with stats of how often a port is missed. It would hurt sales.

. You'd think - with all those sea days and with how often it happens, that they could find somewhere else to take people.

Captain Olsen and Graham Seymour explained why they could not do that in the Captains Corner Q&A. St Thomas and St Maarten is so far away that there is really no other port other than Nassau that is feasible to go to and still make the two Virgin Island stops on time. By the time they get to Nassau, it wouldnt have left but a few hours for people to get off the ship and they would have to reboard to make it to St Thomas on time.

I imagine RCI hates having to scrap Coco Cay. All of those "excursions" are pretty much all profit for them I would think. Plus sales on the island and such as well.

Which, I'm guessing, is why they don't. They need to sell all itineraries so they aren't going to publish an itinerary with stats of how often a port is missed. It would hurt sales.

I believe that as long as they are able to stop at Coco Cay or any other port, more times than they have to miss it, they aren't about to publish statistics that won't really predict whether or not you are going to miss it. As someone once famously said: "there are lies, damned lies and statistics". Some people will seize on any bad news and automatically assume the same thing will happen to them. Just see how often that happens on these boards with just about every topic.

How many disclaimers should they post. Should they include a statement that on occasion the movement of the ship, due to high seas or other weather conditions, might cause some to experience sea sickness, that even ports where the ship is going to dock can be missed because of a multitude of various reasons, that rain might interfere with certain shipboard activities, or that high winds may cause them to prohibit access to the outside decks at times or any of the hundreds of other circumstances that might occur? And if they didn't list every possible contingency, would people be justified in complaining if one of those things happened during their cruise?

At some point people have to realize that "Stuff Happens" and we have to accept it when it does, roll with the punches and "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade".:D

Disclaimers are not, the "complainers" will always find a reason to bitch. It's in their nature.

You are right that it's not just Coco Cay that gets missed. In 2010 the Freedom of the Seas missed St. Maarten due to a nearby hurricane causing large swells that made it dangerous to try and dock the ship. The weather in St. Maarten was great but the sea conditions were not.

Interesting thread!

I am curious how many times the Captain attempts to re-work the itinerary. When we were on the Monarch last week we couldn't tender into CocoCay the first day so they made that the sea day and we went to CocoCay the last day instead of a sea day then. The weather was perfect that day! :) But I wonder if most captains would backtrack that way? I wonder if the extra $ in gas is more than made up for in drink/excursion sales.

Archived