HAL booked me on the wrong cruise and won't fix it!

happypooh

I assume HAL record their calls

If you are certain the error is their fault, ask for a supervisor and demand that the call be retrieved. I don't see how they could refuse to correct this if

The recording verifies your claim

I assume HAL record their calls

If you are certain the error is their fault, ask for a supervisor and demand that the call be retrieved. I don't see how they could refuse to correct this if

The recording verifies your claim

WHAT a GOOD IDEA!!!!

Thanks everyone for posting. I have no idea how the lady on the phone mistook which cruise I wanted to go on after I'd gushed about how I wanted to see Barcelona and how my son wanted to go to Tunis/Carthage! But I think what happened was I asked for the Med. Enchantment cruise on a particular date..she gave a price which was double what I expected as I saw there was kids sail free...so I asked if there was another date for the same cruise and same ports out of Rome and she said yes, so I booked that one since it was half the cost. No where and at no time did she say it was a totally different cruise to different ports! In fact I remember her asking me if I wanted the Greece cruise and I told her that I didn't want to go to Greece!

I have emailed HAL and am waiting to hear back. It took so long on the phone that I'm waiting for them to call me back. My flights were booked separately and would be very difficult to change if not impossible without a huge penalty.

So I'm looking for HAL to at least apologize and figure out how the person that sold me the cruise could have not told me the change in the cruise itinery. They could do something to make things right, don't you think?

I'm upset but realize that sometimes things happen for a reason so I'm hoping that all will be ok on the Roman cruise to Greece etc...and it makes me feel a little better knowing there are others who actually want to go on this cruise. Seems like ruins..ruins and more ruins..with a couple of pretty places (like Santorini)...but this whole fiasco makes me really wary of ever using HAL again. We cruise a fair amount (but not like some here on the boards!) but have never had anything like this happen before.

Thanks everyone for posting. I have no idea how the lady on the phone mistook which cruise I wanted to go on after I'd gushed about how I wanted to see Barcelona and how my son wanted to go to Tunis/Carthage! But I think what happened was I asked for the Med. Enchantment cruise on a particular date..she gave a price which was double what I expected as I saw there was kids sail free...so I asked if there was another date for the same cruise and same ports out of Rome and she said yes, so I booked that one since it was half the cost. No where and at no time did she say it was a totally different cruise to different ports! In fact I remember her asking me if I wanted the Greece cruise and I told her that I didn't want to go to Greece!

I have emailed HAL and am waiting to hear back. It took so long on the phone that I'm waiting for them to call me back. My flights were booked separately and would be very difficult to change if not impossible without a huge penalty.

So I'm looking for HAL to at least apologize and figure out how the person that sold me the cruise could have not told me the change in the cruise itinery. They could do something to make things right, don't you think?

I'm upset but realize that sometimes things happen for a reason so I'm hoping that all will be ok on the Roman cruise to Greece etc...and it makes me feel a little better knowing there are others who actually want to go on this cruise. Seems like ruins..ruins and more ruins..with a couple of pretty places (like Santorini)...but this whole fiasco makes me really wary of ever using HAL again. We cruise a fair amount (but not like some here on the boards!) but have never had anything like this happen before.

Thanks for reporting back. Which exact ship was it? We were assuming it was the Noordam.

Sounds like a lot was going on during that phone call. Obviously you stated what you want, but you the price did not work, so perhaps really she was trying to get you a cruise that was a better price. That is maybe where she lost what you really wanted.

Wires obviously did get crossed. One would have to listen to a tape of the entire conversation to resolve any concerns about "fault". I am sorry because this is a major shock to be facing now after it has all been said and done. Greek food is great - maybe it will have some charms outside of just ruins in its music and people.

You just never know what quirks of fate might be out there that led to this. Hope it is just fun time with your family regardless but I can certainly see your sincere disappointment at this turn of events. Maybe, just maybe they will have a full ship with a waiting list and something can work out after all -- but since you have your flight already booked, obviously it will not be on this ship.

Jade-Aren't we saying the exact same thing? You did use the color change and I didn't, but isn't the point of the post the same?

:D

Yes, I was agreeing with you maxsmamma. Sorry if the port did not come across that way.

Thank you for explaining what happened. Do you have the name of the agent? HAL is one of the few cruise lines you call where the agents will actually give a last name if you ask, but of course the ID is on the booking which I believe they record.

Well, as you realize there is no simple way to fix this because 1) the cruise you wanted (date) did not have the kids promo price and 2) you already have air. If HAL determines that that the agent never explained the itinerary I think they should do something for you such as give some OBC or something.

But I want to assure you that the itinerary you are on is typically more popular and usually a bit more expensive (or has been in past). I think you will enjoy the itinerary. You can see all ruins and skip the beaches then go back next year for totally different ports.

I hope you are traveling a couple of days early to enjoy Rome.

Also, did you receive an email right away with the Guest Confirmation pdf which shows the ports? We don't book flights until all is confirmed in writing.

Thank you for coming back to explain. I really was curious how this could have happened. I'm very sorry but you seem to be 'coming around' to realizing this is a nice cruise despite the fact it is not the one you wanted and thought you booked.

Hopefully someone from HAL will contact you and if they go into 'denial', the poster above who suggested they listen to the tape of the call, if there is one, had a good idea. IMO It might convince the person, who hopefully will contact you, that there was poor comprehension of your wishes by the booking agent and perhaps some assistance on their part is called for.

PLEASE let us know how it works out......

If you go on this alternative cruise, most of us think you'll have a great time and hope you'll let us know.

Best Wishes.

I think the truth is in there somewhere, just a little had to find at the moment.

Every time I've booked a cruise I receive an email confirmation which I immediately review. Given there was airfare already booked, it sounds to me like the OP made a mistake and it wasn't caught until later. Having recently booked over the phone I can tell you that most of my conversations was focused on the cabin type, method payment, address, passenger names, etc.

I've never spent a great deal of time discussing the ports with the booking agent because they don't really care, I know they need to get things process quickly so they can take another call.

I agree that we always have an e-mail confirmation of our booking as we deal with HAL PCC. It is imperative that confirmation be carefully read to assure all is as requested.

Thanks everyone. After multiple calls and emails and twitters and more to HAL they have offered $200 on board credit. They did apologize for booking me on the wrong cruise and I did ask for the recording to be found..and within 5 mins of that call, the supervisor called back and told me about the OBC. I'm so tired of all the back and forth about this cruise that I just said thank you. Their explanation was that this type of thing happens sometimes when the agent will totally book the wrong cruise, but that usually it gets noticed by the end of the phone call. In fact, the supervisor told me that she's had that happen to her a few times before she became a supervisor! Wow!

She also told me to complain about it after the cruise and maybe I'd get a discount on a future cruise! But to be honest, I'd prefer if they made it right or at least upgraded my room! (But I was told they are absolutely sold out of quad rooms!) Oh well, I'm not going to be "Jonah" and obviously there is a reason why we're supposed to be on this particular boat (Noordam).

I really do appreciate everyone's responses, and am hoping that the current Eurozone crises doesn't throw Greece into some turmoil while we are there!

This is why we prefer to book our reservations ourselves online instead of over the phone, so we can take our time to see exactly what we are entering and proofread it carefully before we hit the final key to submit it.

When booking a reservation over the phone, you never really know what someone else actually entered until you see the reservation show up on your invoice or on your account.

Thanks everyone. After multiple calls and emails and twitters and more to HAL they have offered $200 on board credit. They did apologize for booking me on the wrong cruise and I did ask for the recording to be found..and within 5 mins of that call, the supervisor called back and told me about the OBC. I'm so tired of all the back and forth about this cruise that I just said thank you. Their explanation was that this type of thing happens sometimes when the agent will totally book the wrong cruise, but that usually it gets noticed by the end of the phone call. In fact, the supervisor told me that she's had that happen to her a few times before she became a supervisor! Wow!

She also told me to complain about it after the cruise and maybe I'd get a discount on a future cruise! But to be honest, I'd prefer if they made it right or at least upgraded my room! (But I was told they are absolutely sold out of quad rooms!) Oh well, I'm not going to be "Jonah" and obviously there is a reason why we're supposed to be on this particular boat (Noordam).

I really do appreciate everyone's responses, and am hoping that the current Eurozone crises doesn't throw Greece into some turmoil while we are there!

Thanks for the update. I would still be unhappy. $200 OBC is nothing. I know you are tired of pursuing this, but I would try to pursue the recording of the phone call. Maybe someone here would know if the transcript of the phone call falls under the "freedom of information act." If it does, then you should be able to get a transcript of the call. If not, I guess there is not much you can do. The fact that the supervisor acknowledged that this does happen, makes me wonder if she checked that call. I still think $200 OBC if not enough to compensate for this error.

Maybe someone here would know if the transcript of the phone call falls under the "freedom of information act."

No, it only applies to information and documents controlled by the US government.

Sorry but the OP does not make sense to me. I have never had HAL or any other cruise line refuse to make any changes especially if I was just changing itineraries on the same cruise line. What about the air already booked? I agree, there was alot going on during the call. I always book online tomake sure I book what I want

Sorry but the OP does not make sense to me. I have never had HAL or any other cruise line refuse to make any changes especially if I was just changing itineraries on the same cruise line. What about the air already booked? I agree, there was alot going on during the call. I always book online tomake sure I book what I want

It makes sense to me. They already booked their flights (which you know) for a whole family of people on the dates they are on with the cruise (Eastern Med) that includes Greece. Even if HAL switched them they would have to pay to change their air, plus the OP did not like the price on the date for the Western Med. Noordam does rotating East and West Med cruises.

The Lesson for the OP is not to book flights until they have reviewed the Quest Confirmation that shows the ports.

IMO, OP is fortunate to get $200 OBC. One should not make flight arrangements until cruise ports and dates are confirmed in writing. And I definitely don't think complaining again after the cruise should get a future cruise discount. JMO.

Archived