Sounds like Carnival will be going to the Dominican Republic.

maxamuus

In 1982 DH and I were on Song of Norway which called at Puerto Plata.

There is a reason why cruise ships stopped calling there.

You could not leave the fenced area of the dock without hiring someone to keep people off you.

I remember a sore encrusted child begging.

Someone offered to sell me a baby.

We were off the ship for about 10 minutes when we realized that getting off was a serious mistake.

So we were off a total of maybe 20 minutes.

Oh, there were people on another ship who were throwing coins in the water and watching children dive for them.

Somehow I am thinking that the economic situation in that area has probably not improved all that much.

It could have I guess.

Let's just say that I am not excited about the chance of going back to Puerto Plata.

Well considering your cruise was 30 years ago, a LOT could/has changed in that time. I am sure Carnival has done their homework and isnt shelling out 65 million dollars to build a port complex if it was truely that bad.

I've always thought the same thing. What a missed opportunity.

As a Canadian, we are free to go to Cuba any time...and yes, you are missing out on a beautiful island, with very beautiful people. It is unspoiled in any way, really "what you see is what you get"! I consider myself very fortunate!:)

Good read.. I wish the current president would lift the Cuba Ban...

I would agree.

Darn near everything you buy at Wal-Mart is imported from China which has a much worse human rights record then Cuba. Yet we seem to punish Cuba for wrongs from 50 years ago, all the while ignoring the things going on in present day in China.

Don't want to derail this thread on politics, i just think we should open up Cuba and let Americans decide. Don't want to support it? The don't visit there. I personally would NEVER book a cruise going to Jamaica. Their human rights volitions disgust me and i would NEVER pay them so much as a port fee. People who feel the same about Cuba could likewise do the same.

Well considering your cruise was 30 years ago, a LOT could/has changed in that time. I am sure Carnival has done their homework and isnt shelling out 65 million dollars to build a port complex if it was truely that bad.

Well, labor is cheap there.

The average laborer makes 5-10 us dollars a day.

What I am envisioning from reading the article is a Carnival village inside a fence.

Maybe not.

Hopefully it will be a good thing for people there.

Why is it that Carnival never really went back to the Costa Maya? Does anyone know? They used to run almost every western cruise through there. Now what? One or two ships a week?

Would think their passengers indicated they liked other places better.

We spent a week at an AI in Puerto Plata once. I don't know where the port is in relation to the AI we stayed at, but the area is poor, as most islands are. (think tin shacks, etc.) We took an atv tour, and stopped at a school to donate some pencils, crayons and notebooks to the students. The school children were amazing - polite, happy, etc. As we were riding the atv's, the children in the streets and along our route were waiting for us, and begged for money, candy - you name it. We were told not to give them anything, as they would stop going to school and just beg for a living. Needless to say, I am glad CCL is adding a different itinerary, and hope more different ports are on the horizon.

Cruised into Santo Domingo port a few years ago. What a filthy port!!

Have stayed at an all inclusive 2 times in Puerto Plata and enjoyed it

very much. The beaches were clean at the complexs and there were

guards walking along the beach. Took tours each times and had a

great time. The area is poor but we had no problems with the natives.

It amazed me how man motorcycles we saw with entire families riding one

one motorcycle!!

Our cruise and land vacations there were between 1995 and 2003 and

I do think the economy is a little better than in 1982. I would be happy

to port in Puerto Plata......I'm ready for different ports!!!

Why is it that Carnival never really went back to the Costa Maya? Does anyone know? They used to run almost every western cruise through there. Now what? One or two ships a week?

Would think their passengers indicated they liked other places better.

Not sure, and I think Princess has dropped it from their schedule. there is the proximity to both Cozumel and Belize, bith which have established themselves to be popular ports of call. This despite the tendering hassles in Beleize and lack of mainland beach amenities there. But I do hope it doesn't become another Calica. That gravel pit is a great jumping off point for many mainland Mexico attractions.

I sense politics will continue to play here as long as Fidel and Raul are in control. Even though many US media reporters try to "dress up" the island, in its current state, it's pretty but poor and that doesn't attract returning tourist $, just curiousity seekers. I can only imagine the hardships Cuban citizens will have to endure so that Americanos can come to their country and still have access to Americano things (cruise ships bring Mr Toads and Jimmybergs). No sure how excursions to view '57 Chevys or go to Hemingways place, or cut cane will fare. I love Cuban food, but it is rather on the bland side for the most part, and without the variety of cooking styles and use of spices that real Mexican food has, or the uniqueness of Puerto Rico. But cuba will remain on bucket lists for many of us.

Cruised into Santo Domingo port a few years ago. What a filthy port!!

Have stayed at an all inclusive 2 times in Puerto Plata and enjoyed it

very much. The beaches were clean at the complexs and there were

guards walking along the beach. Took tours each times and had a

great time. The area is poor but we had no problems with the natives.

It amazed me how man motorcycles we saw with entire families riding one

one motorcycle!!

Our cruise and land vacations there were between 1995 and 2003 and

I do think the economy is a little better than in 1982. I would be happy

to port in Puerto Plata......I'm ready for different ports!!!

Me too. I would especially welcome an alternative to Nassau.

Just because they build their own little village there, does not mean that is where you must stay and spend your money.

They are going to start calling on the DR...that's good. Once docked, you can get off the ship and do what you like.

It's fabulous there. I have only been there once (by cruise) and it was pretty awesome. There was a LONG boat ride to get to a nice beach, but it was worth it as the ship was docked for a very long stay...hopefully the CCL ships that dock there will be there long enough to enjoy something outside of that 'little CCL village'.

In 1982 DH and I were on Song of Norway which called at Puerto Plata.

There is a reason why cruise ships stopped calling there.

You could not leave the fenced area of the dock without hiring someone to keep people off you.

I remember a sore encrusted child begging.

Someone offered to sell me a baby.

We were off the ship for about 10 minutes when we realized that getting off was a serious mistake.

So we were off a total of maybe 20 minutes.

Oh, there were people on another ship who were throwing coins in the water and watching children dive for them.

Somehow I am thinking that the economic situation in that area has probably not improved all that much.

It could have I guess.

Let's just say that I am not excited about the chance of going back to Puerto Plata.

I am moving to puerto plata tues i also was in puerto plata on a commodore ship circa 1979

the old port was in town .

the new port is about 10 miles west of town in a little village with a lot of fish restaurants it cost about 13 dollars a head for a whole fish with 2 sides and a soft drink with tip

I was hoping for that too, as part of his Hope & Change Program.

Maybe in the second term? but I think the truth is, no matter who's running The Machine

we're going to have to wait for Fidel to go, see how Raul reacts -and go from there.

Archived