pre-existing conditions/insurance/new change

compozer

Just thought I would pass this piece of information along to all of you. We always purchase insurance when we make our final payment. Right now we have five cruises booked outside of final payment. A week ago I found out I have cancer and since I don't know what my treatment will be or for how long, I decided to call my TA and tell her that there might be a chance I have to cancel some of them.

She told me that TravelGuard changed their policy on pre-existing conditions in February. Now, no pre-existing conditions will be covered unless you purchase the insurance within 2 weeks of booking the cruise. Our Tahiti one is ok since I booked that over a year ago and the Royal one is ok because I had just booked that one 12 days before so she purchased the insurance for that one. But my three for this fall were booked in March. At first we thought we could still purchase the insurance since I had not seen the ongologist yet but the next day she call me and said it wasn't worth risking the three cruises because they can check your medical history and will do everything they can not to pay.

Our other option is to purchase the Princess insurance. I won't get a refund but would get it returned in a credit.

So, just wanted to let all of you know about this change. The FCC's are great and we have ended up canceling a couple cruises in the past but now we will need to shell out insurance up front if it is a cruise you really don't want to cancel after final payment.

NOt sure if all companies are doing this - TravelGuard is the only one we have ever used.

In my experience most insurers have a pre-existing conditions clause similar to what you're hearing from Travelguard, and generally it states that even if you haven't seen a doctor, if something has happened so that a prudent person would decide to see a doctor the pre-existing condition is deemed to exist.

As far as I know you could cancel your bookings and book a similar itinerary and get the pre-existing conditions waiver by buying within 10 days or 2 weeks of the new booking, but you can't cancel and rebook the same trip - they wouldn't cover that.

The pre-existing conditions waiver period is determined by the date of the first deposit so if you're using a Future Cruise credit, the deposit date might be considered to be when you purchased the FCC (no detailed knowledge of the real policy for this).

Just thought I would pass this piece of information along to all of you. We always purchase insurance when we make our final payment. Right now we have five cruises booked outside of final payment. A week ago I found out I have cancer and since I don't know what my treatment will be or for how long, I decided to call my TA and tell her that there might be a chance I have to cancel some of them.

She told me that TravelGuard changed their policy on pre-existing conditions in February. Now, no pre-existing conditions will be covered unless you purchase the insurance within 2 weeks of booking the cruise. Our Tahiti one is ok since I booked that over a year ago and the Royal one is ok because I had just booked that one 12 days before so she purchased the insurance for that one. But my three for this fall were booked in March. At first we thought we could still purchase the insurance since I had not seen the ongologist yet but the next day she call me and said it wasn't worth risking the three cruises because they can check your medical history and will do everything they can not to pay.

Our other option is to purchase the Princess insurance. I won't get a refund but would get it returned in a credit.

So, just wanted to let all of you know about this change. The FCC's are great and we have ended up canceling a couple cruises in the past but now we will need to shell out insurance up front if it is a cruise you really don't want to cancel after final payment.

NOt sure if all companies are doing this - TravelGuard is the only one we have ever used.

I always purchase my insurance when I make my initial deposit. I figure it won't cost me more now than then. The only risk is that if I have to cancel the cruise, I lose the premium. The risk of me having to cancel for a pre-existing is a lot higher and a lot more costly, IMHO. But, hindsight is 20/20, as I've heard.

I'll keep you in my prayers, and you MUST be better for our cruise. I know what you're facing is daunting and scary, but one day at a time you will face this and win!

Maureen

The pre-existing conditions waiver period is determined by the date of the first deposit so if you're using a Future Cruise credit, the deposit date might be considered to be when you purchased the FCC (no detailed knowledge of the real policy for this).

Check your Insurance, as policy's vary from state to state. But in FL the date that the FCC is xfered to a booking is considered the deposit date. My advice would be to call Travel Insurance Broker like Insuremytrip.com and ask!

We have always used Travelex Insurance which covers pre-existing conditions when it's purchased within 21 days of booking. Our experience has been that when we cancel a cruise and there is no claim (that is: prior to payment date and airfare has not been purchased yet) Travelex will credit the amount paid for insurance toward insurance for the next trip. We have done this several times. It is not in the contract but it has been their policy.

She told me that TravelGuard changed their policy on pre-existing conditions in February. Now, no pre-existing conditions will be covered unless you purchase the insurance within 2 weeks of booking the cruise.

This is not new. I purchase travel insurance through TravelGuard for this very reason. May change to USAA since I just found out they offer travel insurance. Need to check the limits.

Our experience has been that when we cancel a cruise and there is no claim (that is: prior to payment date and airfare has not been purchased yet) Travelex will credit the amount paid for insurance toward insurance for the next trip. We have done this several times. It is not in the contract but it has been their policy.

TravelGuard does this also.

We have always used Travelex Insurance which covers pre-existing conditions when it's purchased within 21 days of booking. Our experience has been that when we cancel a cruise and there is no claim (that is: prior to payment date and airfare has not been purchased yet) Travelex will credit the amount paid for insurance toward insurance for the next trip. We have done this several times. It is not in the contract but it has been their policy.

Thanks, Sun. I wasn't aware of the credit towards future premiums. So, that's even better!

Maureen

I'm very sorry to hear about your cancer, but with regard to insurance, the correct procedure is to purchase the insurance when you pay the deposit, not the balance, and you will then be covered for cancellation charges. That's the way it works in the UK anyway.

This is not a change in policy for Travelguard I've known about it for years. I'm not sure why your TA told you it was new info as of February. Compozer......I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery!

This is not a change in policy for Travelguard I've known about it for years. I'm not sure why your TA told you it was new info as of February. Compozer......I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery!

The Travel Guard policies we have bought for the past several years were, as you state, pre-ex covered if bought within 14 days of trip deposit. It's possible that the terms may vary based on state of residence or, perhaps, the OP's T/A sells a Travel Guard policy with terms a little different from what is commonly available on their website.

Compozer,

First and foremost, best wishes on your treatment and recovery. I think you will find that you have many companions on this board.

Secondly, I think that TravelGuard has always had some sort of pre-existing time limit. I know back in 2010 they had a 'within 15 days' limit for excluding pre-existing conditions. Perhaps your TA offered a policy not available to the general public, or perhaps she did not explain it well, but if you always purchased your insurance around final payment, you probably did not have pre-existing conditions exclusions then either; you just did not realize it or have a need to.

Lastly, you and anyone else needing pre-existing coverage might want to know that there is at least one policy out there (CSA) that does cover pre-existing conditions up to final payment. They do cost a bit more, but for folks with variable conditions, it is worth it to be able to purchase a policy at final payment. Do realize, however, that one requirement of nearly every policy I have seen is that you must be able to travel as of the date of purchase of the policy. So do what we did, and get that in writing from your oncologist before you make final payment/buy your policy. If your oncologist won't agree that you can go, just cancel the cruise and try again later. But it gives you time to see how you are doing, and you don't have to predict your health as far in advance.

First of all, thanks for the good wishes.

The insurance is a special policy thru my travel agent (very large cruise company) and I am sure she knows what she is talking about but anyway, I still think it is good to bring this subject up because some of us are getting older and forgetful.

I will talk to her later about CSA - thanks for telling me about it. And I will also ask about the FCC date of purchase being used for the pre-existing condition.. I know when we book with the FCC's, she always sends me an invoice that has the insurance included

I did suggest that we cancel the b2b2b and rebook it but she said they would know. Also, I have gotten to know a large group that is also doing the b2b2b and I am determined to go and have a great time with my new friends so I don't plan to switch cruises.

First of all, thanks for the good wishes.

The insurance is a special policy thru my travel agent (very large cruise company) and I am sure she knows what she is talking about but anyway, I still think it is good to bring this subject up because some of us are getting older and forgetful.

I will talk to her later about CSA - thanks for telling me about it. And I will also ask about the FCC date of purchase being used for the pre-existing condition.. I know when we book with the FCC's, she always sends me an invoice that has the insurance included

I did suggest that we cancel the b2b2b and rebook it but she said they would know. Also, I have gotten to know a large group that is also doing the b2b2b and I am determined to go and have a great time with my new friends so I don't plan to switch cruises.

It occurs to me that we aren't at the final payment stage for any of these cruises. I believe that would be in August? So, by then you should have a much better idea of where you stand and should still be able to cancel without a total loss, in the UNLIKELY event you have to cancel. (Let's keep those positive thoughts running - they are your best friend right now. :))

Maureen

Keep your reservation until final. At final buy the CSA Freestyle Luxe (must be freestyle luxe) AND the only other condition is that on the day you purchase the insurance you must be able to travel as if it was the day you were going to travel. So if you're in the hospital on the day you purchase the insurance it obviously wouldn't work but if you feel good and could go on vacation that day - you should be fine. And kick cancer's a$$

Sending you all best wishes for a full, rapid recovery.

I agree........ don't cancel, at least not until you learn if you still might be able to travel.

It is possible your doctors may permit you to do.

Get well soon.

Maureen,

You are correct that final isn't due until August. I did a search but didn't see this mentioned anyplace and just I wanted to get the word out.

Appreciate all the thoughts and I do plan to kick it in the a** and then some.

I do want to check on a yearly evac policy. And my TA also said I should check with AMEX about what their policy covers.

Sandy

I think the insurance companies small print differs from country to country. My cousin booked a cruise here in the UK and took out insurance at the same time. A few months later ( and this is well before the cruise) she was also told she had cancer. She got a full refund.

We too have used TravelEx the majority of the time and always purchase within 21 days.

Compozer, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Get well soon:)

I agree. I have used TravelGuard for years and they have had this policy ever since I have used them. In addition, if you buy the insurance at time of deposit (with maybe a few days grace period) you get their "cancel for any reason" coverage on the cruise.

I agree. I have used TravelGuard for years and they have had this policy ever since I have used them. In addition, if you buy the insurance at time of deposit (with maybe a few days grace period) you get their "cancel for any reason" coverage on the cruise.

We buy Travel Guard Gold policy within 14 days of deposit ... and we never have gotten the "cancel for any reason" as a freebie. For us, if we choose to have that coverage, there is an add-on fee, and it's not cheap. Well, and you don't get that much back either.

Again, differences likely are based on state of residence and type of policy bought and thru whom it is purchased.

Compozer,

First and foremost, best wishes on your treatment and recovery. I think you will find that you have many companions on this board.

Secondly, I think that TravelGuard has always had some sort of pre-existing time limit. I know back in 2010 they had a 'within 15 days' limit for excluding pre-existing conditions. Perhaps your TA offered a policy not available to the general public, or perhaps she did not explain it well, but if you always purchased your insurance around final payment, you probably did not have pre-existing conditions exclusions then either; you just did not realize it or have a need to.

Lastly, you and anyone else needing pre-existing coverage might want to know that there is at least one policy out there (CSA) that does cover pre-existing conditions up to final payment. They do cost a bit more, but for folks with variable conditions, it is worth it to be able to purchase a policy at final payment. Do realize, however, that one requirement of nearly every policy I have seen is that you must be able to travel as of the date of purchase of the policy. So do what we did, and get that in writing from your oncologist before you make final payment/buy your policy. If your oncologist won't agree that you can go, just cancel the cruise and try again later. But it gives you time to see how you are doing, and you don't have to predict your health as far in advance.

We had been buying Travel Guard for our larger more expensive cruises. This time our TA recommended CSA because we knew there were going to be changes as the air tickets, 12 day land tour and other factors would be added well after the first deposit. I was a little hesitant but it did work out with the last of the details were known and we could get a fairly accurate dollar listing for the insurance policy. We paid for the insurance 3 weeks ago for a trip booked Oct/2011 for Oct. 2012 sailing. I too am sweating out a procedure that could declare another round of cancer. Truly no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Insurance doesn't take away the misery just helps the bitter pill go down better. My first round of cancer, I planned the heck out of a trip and I swear it was the only thing that kept me sane. PLAN AWAY and this too will pass. Best of luck and prayers are being heaped upon you.

Last few cruise vacations we have found that air is about equal to the cruise price and then private land tour before the cruise is equal to the price of the cruise so we want more coverage than just the cruise. I also believe strongly in getting insurance from a company that is not providing the services (no Princess insurance, airline, etc -- an insurance company like TravelGuard or CSA or Access America) because if the company goes under financially then you would be standing in line for payment with all the big creditors.

Archived