You dont tip the photographer , but we must to tip the waiter!!

Are you kidding me? They don't make that kind of money!

Nobody actually knows what they really make as there are so many different stories here from several who claim to "know". But, we can't know for sure who really knows what they're talking about if any of them.

What we do know is they all make much more than they ever could in their home countries and send a lot back to their families. Most return home and set up businesses using the money they earned. Some stay with RCI for years because they actually like what they do.

Are you kidding me? They don't make that kind of money!

Maybe my math is off..... but 13 rooms x $5pp a day($10 a cabin) is avg $130 a day.... times 7 days is $910 a week.

Am I missing something??????

Maybe my math is off..... but 13 rooms x $5pp a day($10 a cabin) is avg $130 a day.... times 7 days is $910 a week.

Assuming everyone tips at least the suggested amount and that the attendant keeps all of it those numbers would be good. However they do not keep all of it and not everyone tips the suggested amount. The tip amounts were increased a while back and while I cannot remember specifically when or who the additional $$ went to not all of it was allocated to the room attendant, so no they do not get the entire $5.

Perhaps you know for a fact that they clean 13 rooms and that all of the rooms are occupied and that none of the passengers stiff them. Regardless, do you really waste a lot of time figuring out just how much everyone makes. Most of us care only that they do their job well and that the suggested tip amount isn't outrageous or out of line with everything else that we pay.

Assuming everyone tips at least the suggested amount and that the attendant keeps all of it those numbers would be good. However they do not keep all of it and not everyone tips the suggested amount. The tip amounts were increased a while back and while I cannot remember specifically when or who the additional $$ went to not all of it was allocated to the room attendant, so no they do not get the entire $5.

Perhaps you know for a fact that they clean 13 rooms and that all of the rooms are occupied and that none of the passengers stiff them. Regardless, do you really waste a lot of time figuring out just how much everyone makes. Most of us care only that they do their job well and that the suggested tip amount isn't outrageous or out of line with everything else that we pay.

I pay my tips every cruise and sometimes more if they do an over and above job

Last week I asked our room steward how many cabins he had to clean He answered 13

I asked if he had help He said they are not allowed to any more

On the form I filled out to add my Gratuities to my onboard account it had 4 people getting tips 3 in the MDR and the (1) room steward for $5pp a day .

While not everyone might tip.... If majority due that is good money for them besides room and board and whatever they get paid by the cruise ship.

Last week I asked our room steward how many cabins he had to clean He answered 13

On the form I filled out to add my Gratuities to my onboard account it had 4 people getting tips 3 in the MDR and the (1) room steward for $5pp a day .

While not everyone might tip.... If majority due that is good money for them besides room and board and whatever they get paid by the cruise ship.

Offset of course to some degree by the hours that they have to work, and being separated from their families and loved ones for several months at a time, and their contracts regulate how many months out of the year they are earning those fabulous tips. I suppose much of your argument could be applied to our men and women in the military who are getting "three hots and a cot" while they put their lives on the line defending our freedom to bitch about the tip money we have to pay the waiters and room stewards on our cruises. "Good money" may be in the eye of the beholder and I'm guessing that you didn't run into many US citizens working on the ship in this time of economic hard times and significant unemployment.:rolleyes:

Offset of course to some degree by the hours that they have to work, and being separated from their families and loved ones for several months at a time, and their contracts regulate how many months out of the year they are earning those fabulous tips. I suppose much of your argument could be applied to our men and women in the military who are getting "three hots and a cot" while they put their lives on the line defending our freedom to bitch about the tip money we have to pay the waiters and room stewards on our cruises. "Good money" may be in the eye of the beholder and I'm guessing that you didn't run into many US citizens working on the ship in this time of economic hard times and significant unemployment.:rolleyes:

As an old Navy/Marine Vet... I might know a little about leaving family at home while making a lousy wage... BUT that was a choice I made.

Just like they make a choice to work on a cruise ship. BTW I would do it again.

Good money in SF is alot more than good money in TX. Being from CA I never knew how little they pay the avg worker in TX (unless they are Oil)

Most of the new generation dont have good enough work ethic to survive on a cruise ship and the older ones dont want to leave family behind.

All Im saying is they probably make more than we all know and Im probably being naive thinking that 80% do pay tips.

And in many of the countries that they are from, it's more than just good money. It's quite a lot.

I wonder why people don’t tip the photographer, the security guy,

the guy with the costume when you get off the ship or the guy cleaning the elevator bottoms?

Its funny how some people defend by all means when someone is trying on cutting the tip for the waiter or the steward ,

what make them so special that we have to tip them?

people don’t tip the photographer and he/she takes pic of you everyday or the security he is watching us every night but wait ,

we must tip the waiter and the steward , it makes no sense to me

Waiters, stewards, and the like really serve you. They provide personal care as it relates to you.

If a photographer, security or the like provides you special service or does something special for you then it would be a kind gesture to tip them or recognize them in some fashion.

There is custom that is involved as well. Its customary to tip waiters, and room stewards, while it is not for photographers. My experience with photographers is that they typically go around taking indiscriminate photos of various people. Of course if a photographer go's above and beyond then a tip should at least be thought of and maybe offered.

I think if a non photographer such as a common employee who happens to be walking about, and you ask that person to take a family picture, and they do, then you should at least offer a small tip.

To me tipping is common sense and follows what you do or should do on a daily basis in your life. You tip your waitress at a restaurant or maid at the hotel. You don't tip your photographer at the photo studio.

believe me , you are not , the people in the club fun are

You know, I dont hayt it , but something that I dont like is when they always make you horrible stories about how hard is to be away from home and bla bla bla , ( you know the same old story ) well if you still working here it has to be for a good reason

just look to the future doctors , they have to pass the MCAT to get it , get accepted , study hard for year and be away from family and friends, ( if its so terrible , why do we do it ) they do it because the reward surpass the scarify:D

believe me , you are not , the people in the club fun are

You know, I dont hayt it , but something that I dont like is when they always make you horrible stories about how hard is to be away from home and bla bla bla , ( you know the same old story ) well if you still working here it has to be for a good reason

just look to the future doctors , they have to pass the MCAT to get it , get accepted , study hard for year and be away from family and friends, ( if its so terrible , why do we do it ) they do it because the reward surpass the scarify:D

So are you saying that people work on cruise ships for the same reason people go to Med School? For the money? I sure hope SOME people go to Med School for another reason than just the money. The money is good and I'm sure worth the scarify, but if someone makes that cut I hope they aren't doing it just for the money.

Archived